• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: Amalur IP heads to auction this month

Tripon

Rhode Island is preparing to sell the Kingdoms of Amalur IP, with a website offering its assets going live this month, 38 Studios' court-appointed receiver Richard Land tells WPRI. 38 Studios collapsed in 2012 after launching Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, taking $90 million of Rhode Island taxpayer money down with it.

The main piece of Amalur up for auction will be Project Copernicus, the studio's MMO-in-progress.

"If someone is thinking that Rhode Island is going to sell this for millions and millions of dollars, I would have a very difficult time believing that," Joystiq News Editor Alexander Sliwinski told WPRI in a Skype interview.

Land is optimistic about the sale: "The bulk of the game and intellectual property I don't believe is stale because the artwork is current, the tech used to develop the artwork is current, the concept is a current concept." Sliwinski warns that the fantastical world of Copernicus may be outdated as the industry shifts into the next generation.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/12/amalur-ip-heads-to-auction-this-month/

Like Joystiq, I don't expect anybody to make a successful bid for either Amalur or Project Copernicus.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I really hope someone picks up Copernicus. I don't know if I'll enjoy playing it or not, but from the leaked videos I can tell it's definitely a world I'd like to roam around in and explore.

Off topic, but I really want to buy this game but it's like $40 at Wal--Mart and Gamestop still. It's crazy that there is still a premium for it. I played the demo and it hard crashed on me like 5 times so I have no desire to spend a decent amount of money on it, but hey. I hope this sale goes well. It and Mass Effect seem like the only action-rgs where the combat is above "worst action game ever made in the history of mankind"

Wartari

Banned
Off topic, but I really want to buy this game but it's like $40 at Wal--Mart and Gamestop still. It's crazy that there is still a premium for it. I played the demo and it hard crashed on me like 5 times so I have no desire to spend a decent amount of money on it, but hey. I hope this sale goes well. It and Mass Effect seem like the only action-rgs where the combat is above "worst action game ever made in the history of mankind"

You should spend that money on Demon's Souls.

Tripon

Amazon has the PC/360/PS3 version for $20. PC version is download or physical disc. The physical disc is selling at $13.95, six dollars cheaper than the digital download version.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044SA70M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ReaperXL7

Not sure why you would suggest that, they are very different games. They have just about nothing in common outside of a fantasy theme.

As for the OP, its greatly depressing how the whole 38 studios/Big huge Games thing went down. Amalur had allot of potential, and remains the only RPG I know of with its style of combat. I also thought that the destiny system (while somewhat limited) also had a ton of possibilities.

Eusis

Not sure why you would suggest that, they are very different games. They have just about nothing in common outside of a fantasy theme.
The closest comparison is actually probably to Fable and Bioware games. It's a very easy recommendation over Fable based just on the demo, but Bioware... well, I'd definitely need to play more, but I get the impression Bioware more or less is much more engaging writing-wise.

Although perhaps the games are kind of like Witcher 2 as well? That's also an easy recommendation.

Caronte

As for the OP, its greatly depressing how the whole 38 studios/Big huge Games thing went down. Amalur had allot of potential, and remains the only RPG I know of with its style of combat. I also thought that the destiny system (while somewhat limited) also had a ton of possibilities.

He suggested that because it has a better combat than Amalur, which is what the post he quoted was asking.

Wartari

Banned

I suggested it because I thought that you wanted an action RPG with good action gameplay.

LQX

I hope EA picks it up. I thought I would hate the game from how it looked but I loved the shit out of it. Spent nearly 100 hours on it.

No doubt in my mind a sequel would have ironed out all the kinks, shame the team did not get a chance to make another one.

Also Zelda fans should check it out. Don't know why but it sort of reminded me of Zelda.

ReaperXL7

He suggested that because it has a better combat than Amalur, which is what the post he quoted was asking.

Thats debateable based on what someone wants from the combat honestly. If you want an RPG with a God of War style of combat your not going to get it from Demon's Souls. I enjoy the Souls games, but they are not the answer to everything.

I suggested it because I thought that you wanted an action RPG with good action gameplay.

Well im not the person who asked, but my above statement still applies. Which style of combat is better is debateable based on what your looking for. Souls has a slower combat system, more realistic animations, and enviroment interaction. Amalurs combat is faster, more dynamic, and is again more similar to action games like GOW, and stuff like DMC/Ninja Gaiden (though simplified obviously).

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
The stuff below is only scraping the surface of Copernicus and the brief glimpses we've seen of it. It would be such a massive shame if nobody outside of 38 Studios ever got a chance to see this world living and breathing and ready to explore. For whatever reason I find it captivating and really want to see more.

World fly through videos:
http://youtu.be/m9nvnrP0j8U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yd9upJDdc

7302578060_c9173dae26_o.jpg

7847428478_6ab9c85e77_o.jpg

7302578106_de554b1cd5_o.jpg

7302577852_587cbf038a_o.jpg

7302577898_bc93be5fec_o.jpg

7302578452_db79b2138d_o.jpg

amalur_environments.0_cinema_720.0.jpeg

Dominion_03.jpg

Copernicus_02.png

Copernicus_05.png

0231013B5179360-photo-jeuxvideo-1-bande-annonce-1-survol-des-environnements-306466-414264-854x480-5-jpg.jpg

556867_10151774510560093_504975092_24573846_183569476_n.jpg

copernicus-e1337452367328.jpg

Dregshore_Process_03.jpg

Dregshore_04.jpg

Dominion_04.jpg

Dominion_05.jpg

Teeth_01.jpg

Teeth_02.jpg

Crypt_02.jpg

Crypt_03.jpg

Primevil_01.jpg

Othyris_01.jpg

Othyris_02.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

project-copernicus_10622.gal_6.T1280.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

copernicus-death-epl-912.jpg

copern.jpg

7262266284_a613b19a1c_o.png

7262267458_9863737603_o.png

copernicus.jpg

Dark_castle

Sony, please pick this up and make:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 2 (PS4 Exclusive)

The original game had so much potential and fun factor despite somewhat repetitive and lacking in difficulty.

Amalur was one of the most promising new IPs of the gen. Had a shit-ton of potential. Lived up to a lot of it, failed in a few select areas (namely difficulty balancing). Whoever gets the rights to Amalur...please, for the love of God, ditch the planned MMO and repurpose the assets towards a Reckoning sequel. 38 Studios died chasing that pipe dream. There's simply no room for Copernicus out there.

There really is no comparison. If you were looking for a game with action combat like Amalur, Dark Souls would be an utterly disappointing experience.

The closest resemblance I can think of is Dragon's Dogma. Easily the fastest, most bombastic action-RPG combat this gen.

jediyoshi

Welp, as long as it's someone willing to put it back on sale on steam, anywhere would be better

It was such a generic hack-slashy brain dead game. IMO Fable performs better than it in all regards.

I'll take KOA's combat, upgrade system, inventory, and voice acting over any of Fable's.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I loved Reckoning... I hope someone picks it up who can acknowledge the flaws in KoA's design (mainly the overly repetitive MMO quest structure), and can make a fucking incredible sequel.

Running around the world, exploring, just finding really fucking cool vistas... that, the combat, all the awesome-looking armor-sets... All that stuff was just so great.

Cut down on the shitty padded quests, properly balance the difficulty, and you have my money.

It was such a generic hack-slashy brain dead game. IMO Fable performs better than it in all regards.

The framework for great combat was there...the issue is that after the first few hours you become so powerful that you can't chain together combos or experiment with higher tactics because most enemies started dying after a couple attacks, even on hard. I stand by my assessment that 75% of what plagued Reckoning would have been solved if only the game was harder. Why should I cast a protection spell, boost my casting damage, craft a weapon specifically designed to combat the enemies I'm about to face, infuse my armor with protective runes...if the enemy's just going to die after whacking it with my staff a couple times?

The framework for great combat was there...the issue is that after the first few hours you become so powerful that you can't chain together combos or experiment with higher tactics because most enemies started dying after a couple attacks, even on hard. I stand by my assessment that 75% of what plagued Reckoning would have been solved if only the game was harder. Why should I cast a protection spell, boost my casting damage, craft a weapon specifically designed to combat the enemies I'm about to face, infuse my armor with protective runes...if the enemy's just going to die after whacking it with my staff a couple times?

Yes, this was my problem with the game but even then I put 40-50 hours into this game. The combat is fun and sometimes it's nice to relax and just mindlessly kill thing. The loot, skill tree and crafting also need to be more exciting but you probably hit the nail on the head, why would you need to craft anything if the mob just going to die anyway by me mashing the buttons.

I like it though, and may be someone will get IP and improve on the original game. I think Amalur 2 could have been an awesome game. Borderlands, Torchlight and Diablo prove there is a market for loot whore game on console.

NewGame

Banned

Basically. The level up system looked complicated and personalized but really it was this:

- Do more damage
- Do more damage
- Do more damage
- Do more damage faster

And enemy AI was extremely stupid, they'd just throw themselves at you or stand by menacingly while you stunlock their buddy into submission.

Boss battles were interesting at first but then you realize they all are beaten with a simple attack-withdraw-attack-withdraw cycle.

The world felt like a walk through a really high ceiling corridor the entire time. Enemies on the overworld serve no purpose aside from something to look at when running from area to area and the entire 'fatewaver' systems feel kinda forced and unnecessary a lot of the time.

The only reason I played the game was because the boxart name dropped 'Grant Kirkhope' which set my heart aflutter and hyped me beyond all reason but even Kirky wasn't able to embellish the horrible slog of a game.

Been giving thought to doing an Amalur challenge run sometime. Just stick with starting gear the whole game, no healing, limited leveling.

Loxley

Welp, as long as it's someone willing to put it back on sale on steam, anywhere would be better

I'll take KOA's combat, upgrade system, inventory, and voice acting over any of Fable's.

I would actually argue that Fable's voice acting was some of the best of this generation, despite 2 and 3's other glaring flaws. The VO is good in Amalur as well, but I wouldn't claim it's anything that special.

Love this game. At first I hated the world...but the combat (though simple) won me over.

I would pay $200 for a game of the same size and gameplay set in Middle Earth.

gogosox8

Amalur was really disappointing to me. I like most things about it namely the combat, the art style, and the designs of the enemies but god this game is so damn boring. Its was just way too easy, even on hard. I shouldn't be able to kill bosses in a matter of seconds (which i did to nearly every boss I faced) and the story was awful, the world felt lifeless and bland, and the questing structure couldn't have been more boring. If someone does pick this up and make another one, please take out the I win button which broke the combat, re do the questing structure so isn't so boring, make the game much harder so I actually have to use the great combat system you've created. You can literally get through Amalur by mashing the square button over and over again. That is boring and not fun. They fix those things and I'd be all over another game.

zugzug

did the studio buy Big Huge Games before the Rhode Island money or after, did they use Rhode Island money to buy the studio?

ArjanN

There really is no comparison. If you were looking for a game with action combat like Amalur, Dark Souls would be an utterly disappointing experience.

Eh...maybe. I guess if you were looking for flashy shallow buttonmashing, Dark Soul's slower and more methodical combat could be dissapointing, but let's not pretend Dark Souls combat isn't way better.

Amalur combat is pretty broken, after a couple of levels you can just mash buttons and stun lock everything to death.

The universe wasn't all that interesting either. There was a lot of lore, but it was all fairly generic fantasy stuff.

I loved Reckoning, maybe it was too easy but I don't care. I wish Big Huge was still around in some capacity so they could get a second shot at this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder who'll snap it up. Also, I assume this means the game will be pulled from Steam shortly as it's self-published by 38 Studios.

I think Microsoft owns that IP.

I believe it's jointly owned: the legalise in the manual states that portions of the game are attributed to Microsoft and the USPTO listings have Microsoft as the registrant but 38 Studios as the last listed owner. This may also explain why RoN Gold has been sitting silently in the Steam registry for so long.

Jac_Solar

I loved Reckoning... I hope someone picks it up who can acknowledge the flaws in KoA's design (mainly the overly repetitive MMO quest structure), and can make a fucking incredible sequel.

Running around the world, exploring, just finding really fucking cool vistas... that, the combat, all the awesome-looking armor-sets... All that stuff was just so great.

Cut down on the shitty padded quests, properly balance the difficulty, and you have my money.

Besides the balancing and the combat (Combos were pointless, basically, since they were timed, and you could be interrupted so easily.), the biggest issue was the world -- there was basically no point in exploring, since every area felt and looked the same. They all seemed to be around the same size, with similar geography. The various different areas felt like generic arenas with slightly different mobs that you had to fight the same way. It doesn't help that they weren't interactive in the slightest, either.

EMT0

Banned
Who'd actually want to buy it though? The most likely candidate is probably EA, but aside from that, I can't think of anybody.

SteaG

Who'd actually want to buy it though? The most likely candidate is probably EA, but aside from that, I can't think of anybody.
Maybe a publisher like Ubisoft which clearly lacks some RPG in its portfolio. They hinted in the past they wanted to have some, but it never really happened since then. But yes, I also think EA is the most likely candidate. If I remember correctly, they were positively surprised by Reckoning sales.

Nokterian

For who never have read the story of 38 studio's. Here it is a very good read but also what was happening behind the scenes (a big mess).

38 Studios End Game

Amalur was a decent game but a vast empty world for a SP. Combat system was pretty cool though.

Top Bottom