JRE: When did SJW culture start? ( and discussion on it's current/future state)

njr

Jan 26, 2009
I agree that the SJW term is a bit loose, but to completely hand wave its usage as a tactic to ignore the concerns of minorities is delusional. An argument on the opposing end is that this is only fringes in universities and online in social media, but what it doesn't account for is that it spills into corporate/HR/media/etc companies. Yes, these types of people do not self identify as an SJW, but that doesn't mean there isn't an issue. Off the top of my head I can think of several events that those ideologues are involved in:

• The perversion of academia with unscientific Grievance Studies (Sokal Squared)
  • Evergreen University
  • Google's moral panic over the diversity memo
  • The Patreon debacle
  • False allegations in the #MeToo campaign
  • The indirect discrimination in admission of asians at Harvard

I'm not sure what to call it, but I know the common factor is identifying and condemning "evil" in a religious manner with a desire to hold power over others that think "incorrectly".

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Has it really gotten to the stage where you are unable to discern the very obvious differences between the KKK and so called Social Justice Warriors?
They are obviously not identical in every fine detail but in all seriousness they have a lot of things in common.

They are both proudly racist.
They have their own belief system that not only justifies their racism but makes it righteous and virtous.
They see themselves as being morally right and above their enemies.
They are morally right, therefore there is no need for them to engage in conversation with others. They know, a-priori, that everyone else is wrong and immoral and thus dialogue is meaningless.

They think violence is fully acceptable towards their enemies.
They do not see individuals, only group belongings.
Your value as a human is not defined by who you are or what you do, rather it i defined by your racial belonging and other immutable characteristics.
They both obsess about race.
They think that your race decides what you can and can not do. People that stray from this are deemed race traitors.
(Race traitors could be whites marrying blacks or blacks voting republican.)
Race traitors should be unpersoned, harassed or targeted with violence.

They both think that black people lack agency and are less capable than other races, especially whites. For SJWs this manifests in the need that white people (almost all SJWs are white middle-class)
must stand up for and speak for the oppressed blacks. Because they think black people can not do it themselves.
Recent research even show that far-leftists dumb down their language when they talk to black people. Assuming they are dumb, just like klan members do.

EDIT: oh, they both have issue with Jews.

Normal people find both groups unbearable and want nothing to do with them.

This is just off the top of my head. I am certain there are legion of more things that are similar between them.
So yeah, I think SJWs and KKK members are pretty much the same in many aspects.

Last edited:

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
They are obviously not identical in every fine detail but in all seriousness they have a lot of things in common.

They have their own belief system that not only justifies their racism but makes it righteous and virtous.
They are morally right, therefore there is no need for them to engage in conversation with others. They know, a-priori, that everyone else is wrong and immoral and thus dialogue is meaningless.

Your value as a human is not defined by who you are or what you do, rather it i defined by your racial belonging and other immutable characteristics.
They think that your race decides what you can and can not do. People that stray from this are deemed race traitors.

They both think that black people lack agency and are less capable than other races, especially whites. For SJWs this manifests in the need that white people (almost all SJWs are white middle-class)
must stand up for and speak for the oppressed blacks. Because they think black people can not do it themselves.
Recent research even show that far-leftists dumb down their language when they talk to black people. Assuming they are dumb, just like klan members do.

This is just off the top of my head. I am certain there are legion of more things that are similar between them.
nope

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
Anyone unironically including the term "SJW" within their vocabulary is probably a bigoted asshole. Good rule to live by.
I do hope you see the irony in your statement as that is incredibly rich coming from you.

Why don't you explain why he is wrong instead of just saying "nope"? Would serve the conversation a lot more than what you currently are doing. Plus I am curious to see what you will rebuke with.

Nov 21, 2012

Well when an SJW spends almost a year in juvenile detention for committing a hate crime, then please do let me know. Until then these two sides are not remotely the same.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Well when an SJW spends almost a year in juvenile detention for committing a hate crime, then please do let me know. Until then these two sides are not remotely the same.
NPC fake outrage. Syntax error.

SJWs never look at individuals. It is all about race and other immutable traits. Can I now point to a single individual and then apply that to everyone that shares his traits?

Seriously, that is fucking retarded.
Your theory, that you are pushing, is basically that a group is collectively responsible for the action of one single individual.

Here is an instance of an illegal immigrant murdering a citizen : https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...olly-tibbitts-murder-crime-column/1074055002/

By your logic then I assume you think that thus all illegal immigrants are murderers, Trump was right all this time ... WTF

Sorry, you are a bad person. You are a really bad person and should be ashamed of your bigotry and racism.

Nov 21, 2012
NPC fake outrage. Syntax error.

SJWs never look at individuals. It is all about race and other immutable traits. Can I now point to a single individual and then apply that to everyone that shares his traits?

Seriously, that is fucking retarded.
Your theory, that you are pushing, is basically that a group is collectively responsible for the action of one single individual.

Here is an instance of an illegal immigrant murdering a citizen : https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...olly-tibbitts-murder-crime-column/1074055002/

By your logic then I assume you think that thus all illegal immigrants are murderers, Trump was right all this time ... WTF

Sorry, you are a bad person. You are a really bad person and should be ashamed of your bigotry and racism.
Lol.

You honestly do not know what the fuck you are talking about:

Have you experienced being involved with a Neo Nazi cult at a young age, that brainwashed you into doing horrible things? No you haven’t

You are basically equating a bunch of overzealous and reactionary young people who get all up in arms over every slight with a group of terrorists who at worst want to exterminate entire races that are not white and at best want a segregated society based on race but at the same time promote subjugation of those races, they view as inferior.

I know what I am talking about from actual experience. Something you never have experienced. So you can preach individual action all you want but these particular hate groups Inspire group thought not individual thought.

They are a cult for a reason.

Last edited:

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Lol.

You honestly do not know what the fuck you are talking about:

Have you experienced being involved with a Neo Nazi cult at a young age, that brainwashed you into doing horrible things? No you haven’t

You are basically equating a bunch of overzealous and reactionary young people who get all up in arms over every slight with a group of terrorists who at worst want to exterminate entire races that are not white and at best want a segregated society based on race but at the same time promote subjugation of those races, they view as inferior.

I know what I am talking about from actual experience. Something you never have experienced. So you can preach individual action all you want but these particular hate groups Inspire group thought not individual thought.

They are a cult for a reason.
Like a born-again Christian, you’re clearly overcompensating for past misdeeds and it’s preventing you from understanding the logic in his argument.

Nov 21, 2012
Like a born-again Christian, you’re clearly overcompensating for past misdeeds and it’s preventing you from understanding the logic in his argument.
No, I am not overcompensating. But sure do insinuate,and make narrow minded attempts at thinking you understand what I have actually gone through after a few responses on an Internet forum. Fact is you do not know what I have and have not done since leaving that cult.

I do know one side is full of hate and wants to act out in violence and pure evil. And the other side is just people who are acting out and not looking at things in proper context. And are also trying to fit in to some self congratulatory social media ideal, so they can rest easier at night without actually doing anything that involves action or being physically present.

Last edited:

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
No, I am not overcompensating. But sure do insinuate,and make narrow minded attempts at thinking you understand what I have actually gone through after a few responses on an Internet forum. Fact is you do not know what I have and have not done since leaving that cult.

I do know one side is full of hate and wants to act out in violence and pure evil. And the other side is just people who are acting out and not looking at things in proper context. And are also trying to fit in to some self congratulatory social media ideal, so they can rest easier at night without actually doing anything that involves action or being physically present.
Hate, violence and evil are not restricted to one side of the horseshoe. You could only think this if you restricted your world view to only the side that you perceive as good, which seems a highly likely thing to do for someone trying to reform from an extreme ideology like Nazism.

Nov 21, 2012
Hate, violence and evil are not restricted to one side of the horseshoe. You could only think this if you restricted your world view to only the side that you perceive as good, which seems a highly likely thing to do for someone trying to reform from an extreme ideology like Nazism.
I have reformed and have not been involved in that scene in over 22 years. I was a stupid kid who was full of hate and did some extremely ignorant and hateful shit. That I do immensely regret, and have tried to attune for in my life through positive action. Such as doing things like volunteering and helping others see the errors of being involved in a hateful ideology and steer them in a positive direction.

But my mistakes of the past or my attempts of attunement, or even my current left wing beliefs, does not now make me, a left wing extremist. If you sat down and honestly got to know me, you would realize this.

Either way, I am not what you would call “SJW”.

Mar 6, 2018

First of all, at least you can be thankful that you did get away from hateful racist shitheads. Most people who go down that road are likely not so fortunate. But to carry something like that in your past must be a burden, and I'm sorry you have to experience that. I can only imagine what that would feel like.

As far as this debate goes, you were presented with about a dozen thing someone here thinks the far left and the far right happen to have in common. The allegation is, essentially, "the more extremist intersectional feminist liberals and your average white racist alt-right people have A though M in common." And rather than debating these points on an individual level, you suggest that unless X is true, they have nothing in common.

Is that a fair assessment? Because I think that would only mean they wouldn't have X in common, not that they wouldn't share the similarities of A though M. You're making an argument to severity, rather than comparison.

But my mistakes of the past or my attempts of attunement, or even my current left wing beliefs, does not now make me, a left wing extremist. If you sat down and honestly got to know me, you would realize this.

I don't think you're a left-wing extremist, and I would encourage others not to rush to that sort of judgement either.

Last edited:

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I have reformed and have not been involved in that scene in over 22 years. I was a stupid kid who was full of hate and did some extremely ignorant and hateful shit. That I do immensely regret, and have tried to attune for in my life through positive action. Such as doing things like volunteering and helping others see the errors of being involved in a hateful ideology and steer them in a positive direction.

Good on you for doing that, really.

I'm not suggesting that you're a left wing extremist, rather that in your quest for atonement, you have likely blocked out some of the rational right wing opinions due to their perceived proximity to Nazism. That's how your posts come across to me, because you always seem so indignant whenever there is pushback against left wing opinions or opinions that seek to shift the narrative back towards the right. The one comment in this thread that really stood out to me was:

It says to me that you only see hate and potential violence/terrorism on one side of the horseshoe. That's clearly wrong, and I think it is quite logical to surmise that, assuming you're being honest, which I have no reason to doubt, you've blinded yourself to the hate coming from the left. Whether that's through confining yourself to left wing media or some other means, I don't know, it's just how your posts read to me as they're typically very one-sided.

The other thing is that overt violence is not the only cause of suffering. While leftist extremists do also engage in overt violence, e.g. the Khmer Rouge, much of the suffering that results from the left going too far is as a result of good intentions and poor understanding of reality, e.g. communism / equality of outcome policies. Focusing only on overt violence from one side of the horseshoe is very short-sighted if your goal is to minimise suffering.

Mar 19, 2005
SJW is a rhetorical caricature used to strawman the call to criticize and change the oppressive elements in our culture, and to give a voice to people historically marginalized.

"We all have issues" is an inelegant response to someone speaking to a specific injustice because it basically discards that viewpoint as invalid.
We found one

Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
I haven’t read the thread yet, am about to, just wanted to say my first reaction to thread title/premise is that activism seemed to kind of start taking off around 2010 as social media went from just “booming” to “ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE YOURE BORN WITH A TWITTER HANDLE.”

Escalation occurred. Both sides of any issue now have platforms of unlimited reach (well, kinda), and it’s a race to see who can scream the loudest.

The 2016 election definitely poured fuel on the fire, or threw a napalm bomb into the fire. I’m not blaming Trump, by the way, it’s not his fault. People on both sides were looking for a signal to go nuclear and unleash their floodgates. It was gonna happen no matter what eventually.

I’d like to think we will level out eventually, that reason regains some grasp.

Nov 21, 2012
Good on you for doing that, really.

I'm not suggesting that you're a left wing extremist, rather that in your quest for atonement, you have likely blocked out some of the rational right wing opinions due to their perceived proximity to Nazism. That's how your posts come across to me, because you always seem so indignant whenever there is pushback against left wing opinions or opinions that seek to shift the narrative back towards the right. The one comment in this thread that really stood out to me was:

It says to me that you only see hate and potential violence/terrorism on one side of the horseshoe. That's clearly wrong, and I think it is quite logical to surmise that, assuming you're being honest, which I have no reason to doubt, you've blinded yourself to the hate coming from the left. Whether that's through confining yourself to left wing media or some other means, I don't know, it's just how your posts read to me as they're typically very one-sided.

The other thing is that overt violence is not the only cause of suffering. While leftist extremists do also engage in overt violence, e.g. the Khmer Rouge, much of the suffering that results from the left going too far is as a result of good intentions and poor understanding of reality, e.g. communism / equality of outcome policies. Focusing only on overt violence from one side of the horseshoe is very short-sighted if your goal is to minimise suffering.
I was understanding that the topic in this thread had to do with what you guys call "SJW's", not left wing extremists such as the Bolsheviks or other agents or supporters of state communism. Funny you bring up Pol Pot considering the rise of the Khmer Rouge occurred because the U.S. bombed Cambodia into oblivion during the Vietnam War. Which the aftermath of enabled the rise of the Khmer Rouge.

I do refuse to equate a bunch of overzealous and reactionary keyboard activists who scream "Nazi!" at everyone who disagrees with them, with actual Nazi's. Especially considering one was responsible for the Holocaust and the greatest war in human history. And as I have said before my shared life experience with these people affirms the fact they are far more dangerous than a group of people who do not understand there are degrees to things or context or that many of Trump's policies are typical GOP deregulatory BS.

Last edited:

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I was understanding that the topic in this thread had to do with what you guys call "SJW's", not left wing extremists such as the Bolsheviks or other agents or supporters of state communism. Funny you bring up Pol Pot considering the rise of the Khmer Rouge occurred because the U.S. bombed Cambodia into oblivion during the Vietnam War. Which the aftermath of enabled the rise of the Khmer Rouge.

I do refuse to equate a bunch of overzealous and reactionary keyboard activists who scream "Nazi!" at everyone who disagrees with them, with actual Nazi's. Especially considering one was responsible for the Holocaust and the greatest war in human history. And as I have said before my shared life experience with these people affirms the fact they are far more dangerous than a group of people who do not understand there are degrees to things or context or that many of Trump's policies are typical GOP deregulatory BS.

Simply reading 1930's world history would inform you of as much.
Think of them as the equivalent of brownshirts then. They're the footsoldiers in someone else's ideological war.

Nov 21, 2012
Think of them as the equivalent of brownshirts then. They're the footsoldiers in someone else's ideological war.
Either way, I will hope cooler heads and sanity will be triumphant.

Until then no matter how futile, I will continue to try and convince people to delete their Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts or at least stop posting, and instead be physically active and try to work for change in their localities by being proactive. Change involves work and sacrifice, not bitching on social media. Which whole existence is based on selling your personal data to advertisers and marketing firms.

Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)

Until then no matter how futile, I will continue to try and convince people to delete their Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts or at least stop posting, and instead be physically active and try to work for change in their localities by being proactive. Change involves work and sacrifice, not bitching on social media. Which whole existence is based on selling your personal data to advertisers and marketing firms.
Good on you, I hope more people share your outlook

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Now that I can agree with.