• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judgment |OT| The Japanese Shārokku hōmuzu

Mista

Banned
Judgment.jpg

Developer : Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio
Publisher: SEGA
Release: June 21st (pre-order) - June 25th WorldWide
Platforms: Playstation 4
Price: $59.99 | £49.99 | €59.99

Screenshot-2019-06-20-at-18-21-19.png

A lawyer pulls off a miracle, only to have the verdict cost him everything. Now, as a string of murders casts a shroud over the city and the law begins to fail, justice cannot afford to be blind.

The son of a murdered lawyer, Takayuki Yagami was raised on the streets of Kamurocho by a yakuza patriarch who paves the way for Yagami to follow in his real father's footsteps. Taking a job at the Genda Law Office, Yagami accepts a high-profile case: Proving Shinpei Okubo, a man suspected of murder, innocent.

Screenshot-2019-06-20-at-18-23-02.png

Screenshot-2019-06-20-at-18-24-33.png

Screenshot-2019-06-20-at-18-24-54.png

Screenshot-2019-06-20-at-18-25-16.png

Screenshot-2019-06-20-at-18-25-38.png

Screenshot-2019-06-20-at-18-26-11.png

Screenshots:

full.jpg

full.jpg

168291875.jpg

Trailers:

Judgment Reviews Thread

THE END
tumblr_pewgf8rbcu1qgojgxo1_500.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is a Yakuza game? Spin-off?

Vanethyr

Good work on the OT Mista Mista ! :messenger_grinning: I've mostly been staying blind on this one since going back to Kamurocho was enough of a reason for me to throw money at my screen, but it's getting real hard to fight the urge to bite on that early digital copy after seeing the videos (I need my physical fix so it can go with the rest of my Yakuza collection)...

As much as I adore Yakuza, I'm happy to see that their non-Yakuza games can be as good as they are - Fist of the North Star was superb and I'm chuffed this one's being received well too.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
This is a Yakuza game? Spin-off?
Yes sir
Good work on the OT Mista Mista ! :messenger_grinning: I've mostly been staying blind on this one since going back to Kamurocho was enough of a reason for me to throw money at my screen, but it's getting real hard to fight the urge to bite on that early digital copy after seeing the videos (I need my physical fix so it can go with the rest of my Yakuza collection)...

As much as I adore Yakuza, I'm happy to see that their non-Yakuza games can be as good as they are - Fist of the North Star was superb and I'm chuffed this one's being received well too.
Thank you. Yeah I’m happy that they nailed FotNS and hopefully this one too. Don’t mind they all have Yakuza core because it’s great and makes me invest a lot of hours

Humdinger

Nice job with the OT!

Looking forward to this game. I loved Yakuza Zero, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2. Though I got a little tired of Kiryu by the end of Kiwami 2, so I'm happy to have a change of characters.

Only 5 days away.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Q1 - So can you start playing on 6/21 if you pre-order? Because if so, I'll do that.

Q2 - When is the review embargo up?

Last edited:

Humdinger

It got 79 on Metacritic, with 43 reviews.

Humdinger

Cool, thanks guys. I put down my pre-order and I'm downloading the files now. It says it unlocks in 8 hrs, 41 min.

Reviews suggest an 8 game (metacritic was 79). And I like this developer.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Cool, thanks guys. I put down my pre-order and I'm downloading the files now. It says it unlocks in 8 hrs, 41 min.

Reviews suggest an 8 game (metacritic was 79). And I like this developer.
Most welcome. You’ll have fun especially that the game core is exactly like Yakuza with some additions here and there. Dragon engine is magnificent also. Can’t wait for the game to unlock!

Rayderism

What I wonder is if it will have a lot of the silliness that Yakuza games have. That's one of the many things that made the Yakuza games fun for me.

RPGCrazied

Excited to play this. Big fan of Yakuza games. Its weird this is getting a dub though. I normally play dubs in games, but this game is set in Japan, going with the Japanese track with this one.

Hows this running on pro like framerate?

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Isa

Gold Member
Exactly that's what I'm gonna do, Japanese dub for me though I've heard the English dub is good. I love the change in story perspective, and am kind of surprised its actually here. This and Zanki Zero will be my weekend games to help me get over this cold. Hope everyone enjoys it!

Petrae

Copying application :messenger_loudly_crying: (24 min. left) it's kinda impossible nowadays to just buy a game and play it immediately.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. My game download is almost done, but I may have to wait until later to play if I have to sit for another half an hour while the game “copies” to my HDD.

This “copying” bullshit is annoying as fuck. Even patches go through this nonsense, making the wait twice as long (wait for download then wait for “copying”).

Rayderism

Anyone else feel like this game's contrast is a little whacked? Like it's trying to look HDR while being SDR? The brightness slider says to make both symbols clearly visible, but I had to tweak my TV settings (which were always fine for all of the HUNDREDS of other games I own) just to be able to BARELY see either symbol. The white side was either always washed out, or the dark side was too dark when just using their brightness slider. It's as if the game needed a separate internal contrast slider in addition to its brightness slider.

If I leave the TV set the way I have it now for this game, all my other SDR games are going to look either a bit washed out or dull. I thought I had my TV calibrated to a pretty good "happy medium" to cover all SDR games with minimal to no ingame brightness/contrast tweaks being needed, but not with this one. I can't be the only person who has this (honestly, relatively minor) issue, am I? I'm genuinely curious to hear other's thoughts on this.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
The whole detective and drone features adds a lot to the fun. Even questioning and providing evidence.

Ace Attorney x Yakuza .. I love it

sublimit

Banned
I'm huge Yakuza fan ever since i played Y2 on PS2 but this game doesn't do anything to me. :/ Maybe it's partly because i don't like the protagonist's style and also because i'm not a fan of games that base their protagonists on real actors.
Still i may get it on a later date though.

Great OT btw! :)

HotPocket69

Banned
The whole detective and drone features adds a lot to the fun. Even questioning and providing evidence.

Ace Attorney x Yakuza .. I love it

So far I get more LA Noire x Yakuza because of the questioning and bonus points you get for making the right choices. The tailing stuff feels similar too.

Was up wayyy too late playing. Love how clean the UI is, and the more ambient and subdued jazzy soundtrack. The combat is more flowy and quicker feeling to me as well (just gotta work on nailing those jump off the wall attacks).

Rolling with the English dub for a change and its decent enough. Line delivery reminds me of 80s anime for whatever reason.

Cool that the Tojo clan is around in this. Im patiently waiting for a name drop :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

RGG is seriously underrated in their story department. Their narratives are always so damn good and intriguing. I'm already sucked in to what's going on.

Mista

Banned
RGG is seriously underrated in their story department. Their narratives are always so damn good and intriguing. I'm already sucked in to what's going on.
I second this! Yakuza story is actually not a generic trash and actually was intense and got me hooked in all the series, not just couple of games.

I’m already hooked with Judgment and just appreciate the story build up pace. PERFECT!

HotPocket69

Banned
The only question I have for now is when do the side cases and substory stuff start popping up? I was running around a bunch last night seeing if I could get anything to trigger and came up empty. Still in Chapter 1 though.

zeorhymer

I'm loving this game. I was always doing sub not dubs if there were any Japanese voices, but just wanted to try it out. Hot damn is the English voice overs good. Not top notch, but very well done indeed. It's still a little weird listening to English having the chan and kun honorifics being spoken.

The opening felt like a Japanese tv drama that I used to watch. I was pretty hyped at that point. The combat is clunky no way around it. I'd say clunkier than Yakuza, but the martial arts and wall running is straight out of a kung fu flick. Graphics is eh, Yakuza style, but the main characters are distinct and quite good. I only played 3 hours so I'm not even close to getting a feel for it yet. I still have my first date blinders on. Since I liked Yakuza, I'm sure I'll like this.

Mista

Banned
The only question I have for now is when do the side cases and substory stuff start popping up? I was running around a bunch last night seeing if I could get anything to trigger and came up empty. Still in Chapter 1 though.
Isn’t it after you level up your friendship with people? Or that’s what I think I read. I’m still in chapter 1

HotPocket69

Banned
Isn’t it after you level up your friendship with people? Or that’s what I think I read. I’m still in chapter 1

Haven't even reached the friendship meters yet. I read that side cases can be found on a bulletin board in your office. Assuming youll just get introduced to it all through regular progress.

Mista

Banned
Yep. I only got to play a little bit last night. Will be getting back to it after work!
Seems right then. A bit ahead you’ll be able to make friendships.

What’s surprising is that I played over 4 hours and I’m still in chapter 1..

ttocs

I didn't realize there was the option of a preorder early unlock. Can you still buy the game digitally today as a "preorder" and play today?

HotPocket69

Banned
Seems right then. A bit ahead you’ll be able to make friendships.

What’s surprising is that I played over 4 hours and I’m still in chapter 1..

You're not the only one. Been checking some other boards and people are saying they were still in Chapter 1 and they were a handful of hours in.

Videogames.

Top Bottom