• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, August 8th

Man, I hate that Switch number is such a wild card. Just blindly throwing darts and hoping you are close.

We all know how that's gonna end...

tumblr_nx4i19mDcg1spnvk0o2_r1_500.gif

I am just doing it for fun. You actually have to do this for your job. Must be tough.

I bang on Excel, look at Twitter/GAF, and then write and talk about video games all day. 99.99% of people have a tougher gig than mine. But I appreciate what you're saying.

Welfare

I'm just guessing (and hoping) July saw close to 300K in stock. Something like ~35K for the first 2 weeks (trying to normalize a bottom that Nintendo could ship a week that doesn't account for a big game releasing that week), +100K for Splatoon 2, then maybe 80K-100K for the 4th week. This is assuming USA is prioritized along with Japan for brand new stock from ramped up production towards the end of the month.

Anything 250K and up, I'd be fine with even if I'm off by +10K. <250K and I'm gonna start questioning some things with Nintendo.

aww fuck I'm late cause almost no internet on vacation

uh lemme make a for fun entry real quick

[PS4] 250k
[NSW] 225k
[XB1] 120k

I'm just guessing (and hoping) July saw close to 300K in stock. Something like ~35K for the first 2 weeks (trying to normalize a bottom that Nintendo could ship a week that doesn't account for a big game releasing that week), +100K for Splatoon 2, then maybe 80K-100K for the 4th week. This is assuming USA is prioritized along with Japan for brand new stock from ramped up production towards the end of the month.

Anything 250K and up, I'd be fine with even if I'm off by +10K. <250K and I'm gonna start questioning some things with Nintendo.

Everything you are saying makes me nod my head in agreement, but I still find myself doubting Nintendo's ability to do what makes sense. I can totally see a senario where they handled the Splatoon launch by gimping the US stock to make Japan bundles rather then prioritize both. However, I could be dead wrong. Hopefully they get stock sorted out sooner rather than later. Christmas is just around the corner...

noshten

I think Splatoon 2 is going to be over 500K for July on the NPD.
It opened around 800K in Japan and although it's not as big in the US I do expect a very strong opening - below BotW above MK8D(because it only had a few days in Aprils NPD)

In terms of markets this is the expectations I have:
Japan(+-800K) > NA > France > Germany(below 100K for July) > UK(around 40K for July) > Spain

Japan
M-C: 753.411
Famitsu: 800.394
Germany:
2nd for July
no BIU award thus under 100K for July
France:
2 weeks in 1st position in weekly rankings
UK
[Week 30, 2017] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) - 12,300 / 40,300 (-56%)

Amazon Annual Charts(just video game SKUs)
US: 4th
France: 9th
Canada: 12th
Germany: 15th
UK: 31st

Depending on NPD figures and eShop Sales it's going to be around 2 million for launch month. Splatoon on the Wii U took a little under a month to sale 1 million copies, something the sequel did easily during it's launch week.

ethomaz

Banned
Numbers has been leaked few hours ago :p

Hardware:
NSW: 222K
PS4: 217K (+34.7%)
3DS: 105K (-44.3%)

Software:
PS4: 2299K (+52.0%)
NSW: 736K
3DS: 384K (-49.2%)

Splatoon 2 #1 332k

Hardware:

Software:

Splatoon 2 #1 332k

Those are good Splatoon 2 numbers, but I thought it might do a bit better. Wonder if those #s include digital sales. I'd assume not.

Hardware:

Software:

Splatoon 2 #1 332k

I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't released a PR statement touting the Switch as July's #1 best selling console, along with Spla2oon being the #1 best selling game.

noshten

Underwhelming for Splatoon 2, I expected it to open better than MK8D due to longer period/more switch owners.

In terms of the Switch just shows that Nintendo concentrated the supply to Japan for the Splatoon 2 launch. There was slightly more supply for NA but not the type of jump we've seen in Japan.

Damn. After increases Japan saw for Switch hw I expected much better supply in US too for July. Switch again screwed my prediction.

Top Bottom