• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JUNE! Comics OT Before Four Dollar Books and Toasters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's meant to be five issues :)

It's weird how it never seems to be clear what is an ongoing or a mini with Image. I thought Planetoid would be an ongoing until now. There's no "of 5" in the numbering of in the solicits.

I guess maybe they're hiding that information in order to prevent people from waiting for the trade when they see it's a mini? Or because they want the option to keep the series going if it becomes a hit.

Ephidel

I admit, I didn't realise it was meant to be a mini either when I picked it up. It was a last minute addition for me because I've been impressed by Image's other series recently. It was only when someone mentioned it on CBR that I realised, and reports from Image Expo back in Feb seem to confirm.
I enjoyed the first issue though, so I'm glad I tried it. Liked the atmosphere, and thought the inventory by the computer was an interesting way to do it. The moment with the tent made me smile as well :)

Ephidel

Ah, I haven't had a chance to read Prophet yet, so it was new to me. Unfortunately by the time I realised Prophet was something I might be interested in my LCS was out of the first few issues, so I decided to trade wait.

ElNarez

Banned
So, that fucking new Casanova. I've read it a bunch of times. Shit is fucked. It's the most fucked. Actually, I'm not sure I got that right. Is shit fucked?

Ravager61

Jumping on a 6 hour plane ride this evening and will be taking the first volume of Batman: Knightfall with me. Anyone read this collection? Pretty stoked to finally get to read this arc.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jumping on a 6 hour plane ride this evening and will be taking the first volume of Batman: Knightfall with me. Anyone read this collection? Pretty stoked to finally get to read this arc.

I think I used to read this weekly as a kid :) I think it's a great arc but I'm biased, it got me no Batman big time. I think it's aged quite well too, it's not too overwrought or cheesy from what I can remember.

Mifune

Mehmber
I finished reading the first omnibus of The Boys (up through issues 22). I enjoyed it enough, but aside from one inventive and inspired arc set in Russia, it felt pretty familiar and predictable. The series seems to be at its best when it's NOT trying to be the dirtiest, nastiest comic on the market, but unfortunately there aren't enough of those moments.

Not sure if I'll continue.

tm24

So, that fucking new Casanova. I've read it a bunch of times. Shit is fucked. It's the most fucked. Actually, I'm not sure I got that right. Is shit fucked?
Shit is super fucked. God, why can't fraction be this good on everything

Maybe it's just me, but I can't keep up with what's going on in the latest Batwoman Arc. I'm sure it'll read better in trade, but god, who thought that multiple perspectives per issue out of chronological order was a good idea?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Haven't read Casanova, but it's hard to imagine that any comic this week was as fucked as Saga #4.

the opening page of saga alone was fucked. dinosaur dildo just sealed the deal.

i also just realized on re-reading that The Will was on a job... he was supposed to do all that. In the opening, the sextillion ladies ask if he's on business and he says "no, just pleasure" but he touches his lying cat while he says it. the cat says mrwrr while he does it - like it's holding back a LYING.

It's weird how it never seems to be clear what is an ongoing or a mini with Image. I thought Planetoid would be an ongoing until now. There's no "of 5" in the numbering of in the solicits.

I guess maybe they're hiding that information in order to prevent people from waiting for the trade when they see it's a mini? Or because they want the option to keep the series going if it becomes a hit.

i'm guessing it's the latter - image did something similar with peter panzerfaust & luther strode. it's actually a great idea letting the audience see all the pilots and then picking which ones get turned into full runs. we get more options, image takes less risks. win/win.

I know, I'm one of the few brahs that likes both Bradshaw and Bacchalo and the brah that did UXM this weeks looked incredible. Can't believe marvel views Land and Larocca as premiere artists.

Owzers

i know the Fear Itself: The Deep mini got some loving from readers, but i don't see anything in it. Reading it on MDCU right now and i'm on issue 3 of 4, the first two were just boring.

Owzers

new comixology sales.....some random Fantastic Four issues that i have no interest in, and some Azzarello DC books.

things of note:

Superman : For Tomorrow - i didn't hate it as much as some...that's a positive.

Final Crisis 1-7: I'd greatly recommend this outside of the fact that Superman Beyond isn't included and is the best part of the event

Flashpoint Batman Knight of Vengeance #1-3 : Great tie-in mini to a terrible event. Definitely worth checking out even if you don't read Flashpoint.

Tizoc

EDIT: Daredevil 14-
That final page was hilarious, that dude better be careful messing with Doom's swag tho. Gonna be interesting to see how Matt is gonna get out of this, I personally
like to see characters handle situations when they don't have their powers

Hmm dunno how I feel about Punisher 12, was hoping Rachel would take into consideration what Matt told her during the Omega Effect arc.

Wonder Woman 10 was good, but I still don't like her new origin.

Saga 4 was great, The Will is a friggin' badass, I honestly can't wait to see them encounter him.

Anyone else read Comedian #1?

Megaman 14 was good but the Wily segments were rushed, it's a shame Ian couldn't write the story arcs in say 6 issues, it would make the progression of the stories much better and coherent-
23.jpg

24.jpg

5-Star Review for This Week's Punisher #12 (Comic Book Resources)

...Everything you need from "The Punisher" is right here, absolutely everything. This is what a zero issue, a Point One, a new starting spot for a great book should be. You should be reading this book if you've ever -- ever -- had any interest in the Punisher or his place in the greater Marvel Universe. Greg Rucka and Marco Checchetto have found a groove and they're doing a damn good job sharing it right here.
UFVWa.jpg

This issue was AMAZING, cannot stress that enough. In Greg Rucka's hands Frank Castle is driven, pragmatic, and cold-blooded -- in other words, everything he needs to be for the sake of the mission. And Rachel Cole-Alves is fast becoming one of my favorite female characters. Hell, the whole book is just so wonderful, and slow moving or not you really SHOULD BE BUYING IT.

Bull

new comixology sales.....some random Fantastic Four issues that i have no interest in, and some Azzarello DC books.

I think I'll pick up the three "New Fantastic Four" issues. I sort of remember getting those issues when they first came out and it being a fun read.

Tizoc

5-Star Review for This Week's Punisher #12 (Comic Book Resources)

UFVWa.jpg

This issue was AMAZING, cannot stress that enough. In Greg Rucka's hands Frank Castle is driven, pragmatic, and cold-blooded -- in other words, everything he needs to be for the sake of the mission. And Rachel Cole-Alves is fast becoming one of my favorite female characters. Hell, the whole book is just so wonderful, and slow moving or not you really SHOULD BE BUYING IT.

It felt to me like Frank was creating another Punisher...which seems rather selfish.

It felt to me like Frank was creating another Punisher...which seems rather selfish.
I saw it more as Frank setting a fellow Marine straight on how things are done; an experienced veteran imparting his hard-earned wisdom to a rookie who would take on the mission herself but is still too raw and unruly after her "death". And I imagine Frank's perspective on Rachel would be rather selfish: if she's going to go forward with this, then he'll view and treat her as a soldier, a Marine, a weapon to be used. Potentially a liability in her recent state, but one that can be turned into an asset in that all-consuming mission.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Owzers

I don't like Journey into Mystery's Terrorism Myth arc. I'm on the third of four issues and there are lots of large narration boxes trying to quickly build up several different random people who are having nightmares based on Fear Itself.

You know what Gillen? I'm still having nightmares for having READ Fear Itself :(

EDIT: Okay at least one of the narration box people was fun, but just one.

8bit

Knows the Score
BC:Comedian was good, kind of dreading JMS getting his hands on things next week. Fuck knows what the pirate story is supposed to depict as it's pretty unreadable so far, dunno if Len Wein or John Higgins is at fault so far but it's a mess.

Another way to look at it is that Frank sees himself in her, and he wants to save her the time and trouble of going through that stage of grief. Because he believes she will inevitably end up just like him anyway.

BC:Comedian was good, kind of dreading JMS getting his hands on things next week. Fuck knows what the pirate story is supposed to depict as it's pretty unreadable so far, dunno if Len Wein or John Higgins is at fault so far but it's a mess.

Ye have no clue what the fuck is going on in that. can't wait to see what the Kuberts have planned for this week's issue.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm kinda ashamed to admit I've kinda enjoyed the Before Watchmen stuff so far. Silk Spectre was the best of the lot so far I think, a very well made little book there. It's still all a little pointless I think, there's no new info in these comics, no new insight so far, but they seem entertaining enough and the art is all wonderful. Although doesn't the Comedian book contradict the movie? I don't know why but I have it in my head that he killed Kennedy. I like it better the way Azzarello did it here though. That bit was Monroe was brilliant, I love how his kissed her butt at the end. It's creepy and wrong but also made a lot of sense with the charater, and seemed very human (albeit a disturbed human).

Owzers

I might be done with MDCU, this entire months' releases are all old random Avengers character related books and NOTHING for the last ten years. July better get back on track Xo

Owzers

Runaways two issue meeting with Avengers Academy was okay, a bit too much " this is our history, you guys got to respect our history, things have happened and you can't contain us!" I'd like an actual ongoing book with the Runaways staying with the Academy in some capacity, t hat's a large amount of interesting characters that things could be done with, moreso than what was found in these two issues. I'm not continuing to read Academy though, prior to these two issues i really disliked that arc.

Spider Men was great but in true Bendis fashion it ends when it's about to get good. The Massive and Bad Medicine were both incredible. I'm really hopping the Massive takes place mostly on the sea, got great master and Commander vibes.Goy AvX 6 and Uncanny. Brahs got one last chance to impress me.

Tizoc

I saw it more as Frank setting a fellow Marine straight on how things are done; an experienced veteran imparting his hard-earned wisdom to a rookie who would take on the mission herself but is still too raw and unruly after her "death". And I imagine Frank's perspective on Rachel would be rather selfish: if she's going to go forward with this, then he'll view and treat her as a soldier, a Marine, a weapon to be used. Potentially a liability in her recent state, but one that can be turned into an asset in that all-consuming mission.

Another way to look at it is that Frank sees himself in her, and he wants to save her the time and trouble of going through that stage of grief. Because he believes she will inevitably end up just like him anyway.

Fair points, but in Daredevil #11, Matt confonts her and gives a good argument on why she DOESN'T have to be like Frank, I don't think we've seen Rachel, at least since the Omega Effect arc, go after criminals and screwing up.
I'm afraid I see this as: Frank is making another Punisher. Is that really a good idea? Rachel could continue with her 'mission' but not in the way Frank does it, and she doesn't need to have his exact same views.

I'm kinda ashamed to admit I've kinda enjoyed the Before Watchmen stuff so far.
Hey good writing is good writing, nothing wrong with liking it.

Silk Spectre was the best of the lot so far I think, a very well made little book there. It's still all a little pointless I think, there's no new info in these comics, no new insight so far, but they seem entertaining enough and the art is all wonderful.
I'd say the 'point' of them is best considered once all the issues are out and the stories for each character is told.
I mean yes, we know what happens to them in the end, but wouldn't taking a look at what their lives have been before the events of Watchmen give us more appreciation or understanding for the characters?
Even if it doesn't the books are pretty good so far and I expect the quality of good writing to continue for the most part~
Although doesn't the Comedian book contradict the movie? I don't know why but I have it in my head that he killed Kennedy.
Hmm I'm not sure if the book hinted at him being Kennedy's assassin, though seeing he was close with the President made me wonder if that was the one time in Comedian's life where he was 'sane'.

The scene with the
First Lady
made this entire Before Watchmen worth it for me. Azzarello 4 life.

I await JMS ruining the otherwise flawless line though. We'll see.

Brahs I have to profess my love for Redhood and The Outlaws. So much energy oozes from this book. Rockafort kills it on this book and he will be sorely missed. I will have to see what the next artist brings to the table. I'm not saying it's an earth shattering book, but in terms of fun it's up there.

Read Avx and Uncanny. I'm onboard with this AvX shit for another issue or two. This week's Uncanny was absolute masterclass, this is what four dollar books should strive to be. I don't know about the post AvX creative team shuffling, but keep Gillen on and give him some premiere artists like Weaver instead of brahs like Greg Land. 10 out of 10 issue of the week for me.

Higher Earth #2: High-concept sci-fi goodness on an epic scale. Thank you comic books for giving me something that would probably be too expensive and niche to exist on film.

Owzers

I gave Higher Earth #1 a try and didn't quite like it enough to try to add #2 to my order. I might get the trade though especially if people like the next several issues. Was #2 better than #1?

Yeah, #2 was better IMO.

I did enjoy #1, but it felt too short for a first issue. It didn't give me a good idea of what to expect from the series. #2 fleshed out the world more though and now I feel hooked for the foreseeable future.

Speaking of getting hooked, I've been enjoying The Secret History of D.B. Cooper since the beginning but this week's fourth issue is where it really clicked for me. Hope it keeps up this momentum for the next issue.

Brahs I have to profess my love for Redhood and The Outlaws. So much energy oozes from this book. Rockafort kills it on this book and he will be sorely missed. I will have to see what the next artist brings to the table. I'm not saying it's an earth shattering book, but in terms of fun it's up there.

Me and you, man. Me and you.

In the know.

Yeah, #2 was better IMO.

I did enjoy #1, but it felt too short for a first issue. It didn't give me a good idea of what to expect from the series. #2 fleshed out the world more though and now I feel hooked for the foreseeable future.
I agree, I didn't get into #1 as far as characters or story, but the visuals were great so I took a chance on #2. It is better. Not going to sub yet, but I'll pick up #3 for sure.

BEEN HAD COMICS! BEEN HAD COMICS! WHATCHOO WANT? POLLY AND THE PIRATES? WORLD OF HURT? DOC FRANKENSTEIN? WHATCHOO NEED? ATOMIC ROBO? NEW GODS? E-MAN?! BEEN HAD COMICS!

BEEN HAD SKETCHBOOKS! BUDD ROOT! KERON GRANT! WHATCHOO NEED? JASON PEARSON! TONY HARRIS! BEEN HAD SKETCHBOOKS!

HOW ABOUT A BOOTLEG ASS BISHOP T-SHIRT?! YEAH, FUCK YOUR LICENSING DEPARTMENT MARVEL! BEEN HAD BOOTLEGS!

Yeah, HeroesCon is how you do a comic convention. It was the polar opposite of FanExpo. Guests at tables, more guests and panels than I had time to meet / attend, and no video game / movie bullshit wasting space.

HeroesCon even had the best movie related booth since Geoff and Alice Darrow signed my Bluray of Speed Racer. HOW YOU LIKE THAT SDCC?!

COMIC BOOKS, BITCH!

Though they need to ban those fucking rolling carts / luggage on the show floor for the aspertards that bring three short boxes and entire runs of shit for artists to sign. Waiting in line because some dickhead needs Walter Simonson / Mike Zeck to sign two copies of their entire runs on Thor / Secret Wars is bullshit.

Owzers

Marvel teasing

ThisIsWAR_Thor_02.jpg

Announcement at SDCC allegedly, from bleedingcool. But the announcement is just news news.

Also....Brubaker officially off Captain America, bleedingcool interview

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/24/ed-brubaker-on-leaving-captain-america-working-for-marvel-and-despairing-about-before-watchmen/

SPURGEON: Don’t they team you up with a writer to transition out of these titles? Like baton pass it to them?

BRUBAKER: That’s not on purpose for this one. That was a situation with scheduling. Marvel is trying to do this thing now that with some of their better-selling books they want to get out more copies per year than 12. They want to get out 15 or 18 issues. Amazing Spider-Man‘s been doing more than one a month for a while now; someone I know does Uncanny X-Men or one of those books, and that comes out 18 times a year.

I couldn’t keep up with that schedule, honestly. I knew I was getting to the end of my run. I wanted to wrap up my run earlier. And [Marvel Senior Vice President Of Publishing] Tom [Brevoort] was like, “Well, you’re going to leave a bunch of plot lines dangling… do you want to go out like that? It’ll seem like you threw up your hands and said ‘I can’t keep up with this schedule.’” I was like, “No, I don’t want to go out that way.” So we brought in Cullen Bunn to write an arc with me. I gave him a list of a bunch of stuff. “Here’s all the dangling plot threads and here’s where we need them all to be by the time I get to my last issue.” And then we figured out a storyline together.

It’s strange. I did all these issues as an uninterrupted run. Then there’s four issues co-written by someone. Then there’s a last issue. [laughs] It’s a little odd.

Churn those books out fellows!

ElNarez

Banned
Ugh. Marvel can't leave shit alone for two fucking months. It has to be a fucking event so we can add one buck to each fucking book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom