• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I thought this was cool. They were pulling off tons of billboard ads and this was there. Not mine and I don't have a source

img_3132xkjk7.jpg

Is that an original ad?

Yes, September 2nd was the theatrical release in Australia.

Google Street view of the billboard:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.81...&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-AU

Rex render in general needs work, she's still the doofy looking one from the last one from what I can tell, but it looks better than the art the used for the first World merch yeah.

So, with JW they didn't have ILM renders cooked up for the merch.. Universal did a solicit to do them for later waves, but changed their minds. That's why all the renders were sooo damn goofy - they were from early unfinished ILM meshes, and they had to be painted up.

This time, they had ILM render these, and they're from the film assets. I first saw these new renders back in May, but I do believe they have existed before that.. from my understanding, the newer dinos will appear in later 'waves' of promo material.

As for the Rex, she looks goofy simply because they fucked her up in JW and are retaining the look. It's unfortunate. She lost a lot of her hard angles, and everything has been rounded, giving her a very different, cartoony look.

but that's a good thing

At this point I'm wondering if he'll even be involved in JW3, or if Bayona or someone new will take his place.

I'd be verrry surprised if Universal dropped Colin.. even if the JW2 script is meh, as long as it makes money and audiences have fun he'll be back.

But I would love to see Jaffa/Silver given another chance.

I'd be verrry surprised if Universal dropped Colin.. even if the JW2 script is meh, as long as it makes money and audiences have fun he'll be back.

But I would love to see Jaffa/Silver given another chance.

I'm just wondering if any potential problems with IX beyond "he couldn't pull together a satisfying story" could be serious enough to spill over to a potential rift between Colin and Spielberg/Marshall severe enough to result in them ousting him. It seems likely it literally just wasn't working out, but there's always the theoretical possibility is was much worse.

"What if we land on Earth, but it doesn't look like Earth from space (where we'll be shooting from) because it's actually during the Mesozoic era and we see dinosaurs and stuff. And when Snoke crushes a small moon, a part of it crashes into the planet, causing the extinction event. From there, we'll see a mammalian alien that showed up on this planet with our heroes mutter 'well there it is' in its own language and accidentally gets left behind..."

Fuchsdh

I'm just wondering if any potential problems with IX beyond "he couldn't pull together a satisfying story" could be serious enough to spill over to a potential rift between Colin and Spielberg/Marshall severe enough to result in them ousting him. It seems likely it literally just wasn't working out, but there's always the theoretical possibility is was much worse.

It seems like the big studios are running into this weird thing where they want to hot directors but basically want them to produce something more paint-by-numbers, and everyone's coming into conflict.

It's interesting at this point that Marvel is off doing James Gunn-level stuff in the Marvelverse but they're being way more conservative over in Star Wars. Even Rogue One, for all the talk about how the side stories would be different, felt like a Star Wars movie just with more street-level action (and hell, even more callbacks to previous films than TFA.)

Amalthea

Banned
That looks so damn cool. I actually thought it was an official ad playing on the "returning to Jurassic Park" theme of these sequels.
Yeah, even cooler that it has actually been unearthed after 20+ years.

It's like urban archeology...

(I'd have tried to steal that sign at night if I were there! lol)

Could Ceratopsidiea breed with each other? Like lions and tigers can have kids?
Some pairs within the same genus (lions and tigers share the genus, Panthera), likely. But Ceratopsidae is a family (that existed over a very large amount of time), so members weren't necessary all closely related enough to produce hybrids. In fact many, if not most pairs wouldn't be able to produce hybrids, particularly those distinctly separated over time and/or distance. So Styracosaurus and Triceratops, which were separated by 7 million years and belong to different genera, quite likely wouldn't be capable of interbreeding. Triceratops and Torosaurus, which coexisted chronologically and geographically, and shared a sub-family and a tribe within that sub-family, perhaps could have.

Granted, the specific examples are guesses on my part and are by no means definitive (I'm not sure a definitive example could be given granted the inability to study genomes and the statistical unlikeliness of hybrids being preserved and found), but you get the idea.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Same applies for Hadrosauridae, right? They are often shown in even scientific media or documentaties as living close together, in large hordes, but I guess this is more to illustrade how many different dinosaurs belong to the same group

Fallen Kingdom Pez!

“The Jurassic World assortment will be released April [2018] with T-Rex, Dilophosaurus and Blue the Raptor. The dispensers feature just the head of the dinosaur on pez stems and they look pretty awesome!

This is in addition to the Jurassic World Gift tin which will be coming out June [2018] with full body T-Rex, Blue the Velociraptor, Triceratops and Mosasaurus on click and play stems. This tin will feature Jurassic World Click and Play Pez and a Jurassic World board game in which the tops of the pez can be used as playing pieces.”

JGZRXq7.jpg

So's the mosasaur expected to come back, or is it just a holdover from Jurassic World?

Also, gotta get me some Rexy PEZ. Ah fuck it, I'll get the collector tin.

(I wish Jurassic movies came out closer to my birthday or Christmas)

Ric Flair

Banned
Just finished my first read ever of Jurassic Park, kind of wish the movie could have followed the book a bit more closely, it was sooo good!!!!! That being said the movie is amazing, but that book is easily one of my top 5 favorites now

strafer

Just finished my first read ever of Jurassic Park, kind of wish the movie could have followed the book a bit more closely, it was sooo good!!!!! That being said the movie is amazing, but that book is easily one of my top 5 favorites now

I read the book while listening to the score once, it was a really great experience.

antonz

It is a fantastic book. Book and Movie have enough differences to make for very enjoyable experiences on their own.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda iffy on it. Not a huge fan of how all the "quills" mesh with that particular design, and the black portions kind of make it look like it's slathered in tar, at least in that piece, which is kind of a weird look.

I like the red and black design with the snout horn better.

No, this is JW1.

Darn, was hoping for a version 2.0. I do like the bony "mask" look.

It's such a bad name though. It doesn't sell what it's supposed to be at all, and sounds entirely un-intimidating.

Granted, I'm still not a fan of the concept to begin with.

Finally, there are official asset pictures of the Stegoceratops from Jurassic World (yes another hybrid, but it's also the only know 'cut' species from the films)

Colin Trevorrow on why he cut it:

“In an earlier draft there was a scene where Chris [Pratt] and Bryce [Dallas Howard] come across another hybrid in the jungle. It informed them that Dr. Wu has been making other hybrids under her nose. Then my six-year-old son watched Return Of The Jedi, and said to me, ‘Dad, if Leia is also a Jedi that means that Luke isn’t unique.’ It was like, ‘Ha! Okay.’ And for some reason I applied that to this other thing and felt like there could be only one [hybrid dinosaur]. The idea that there was more than one made it feel less like the one synthetic among all the other organics, and suddenly it seemed entirely wrong to have it in the movie. I suddenly hated the idea but the toy still exists as a kind of remnant because Hasbro toys are locked a year out.”

While I'm glad we didn't get more hybrids, the weird chimera bullshit aside, this is some great artwork. In fact, remove the plates and spikes and you're left with an incredible Nasutoceratops:

^ If that appeared in the films it would be the best, most 'Jurassic Park' looking new dinosaur since additions from The Lost World IMO.

What is this volcano stuff?

Theory is that JW2 is gonna basically be The Lost World Redux, but in a different package. There's a Tech Dino Boom and everyone wants a dinosaur to showcase at "Macworld". So they go poaching. There's also a volcano about to explode, which could act as a mask for illegal activities.

I doubt the volcano plotline will be that big. I'm sure it's just the "reason to go back".

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Theory is that JW2 is gonna basically be The Lost World Redux, but in a different package. There's a Tech Dino Boom and everyone wants a dinosaur to showcase at "Macworld". So they go poaching. There's also a volcano about to explode, which could act as a mask for illegal activities.

I doubt the volcano plotline will be that big. I'm sure it's just the "reason to go back".

I'll put $20 on a scene where a hero is dangling over the volcano, with suspense that they may or may not (they won't...) fall in. But... I have the sneaking suspecious that rexy may die from it, going out like a hero.

Boem

I'll put $20 on a scene where a hero is dangling over the volcano, with suspense that they may or may not (they won't...) fall in. But... I have the sneaking suspecious that rexy may die from it, going out like a hero.

If there's a volcano, surely someone is going to fall in. Not necessarily one of the heroes, but this movie's human bad guy, or something.

I'm going to ask for a refund if nobody ends up falling in that volcano, dammit.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
If there's a volcano, surely someone is going to fall in. Not necessarily one of the heroes, but this movie's human bad guy, or something.

I'm going to ask for a refund if nobody ends up falling in that volcano, dammit.

I'm going for a struggling rex grabbing on the volcano walls for one last snack - the bad guy, and then she falls into the lava after consumption...

Top Bottom