• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

If there's a volcano, surely someone is going to fall in. Not necessarily one of the heroes, but this movie's human bad guy, or something.

I'm going to ask for a refund if nobody ends up falling in that volcano, dammit.

Maybe the villain will get picked up by something hangs out in the volcano which then lands near the lava and an Indominus Mosasaur jumps out of the lava eating both...

lol, hopefully the villain gets the best death this time.

Are they really trying to make it a secret though?

Well, Universal hasn't meant to go public with it yet.

Unless they have a surprise in October, they mean to share it in November with the trailer.

Theory is that JW2 is gonna basically be The Lost World Redux, but in a different package. There's a Tech Dino Boom and everyone wants a dinosaur to showcase at "Macworld". So they go poaching. There's also a volcano about to explode, which could act as a mask for illegal activities.

I doubt the volcano plotline will be that big. I'm sure it's just the "reason to go back".

This, but a heavier focus on a "rescue mission" - remember, "#WeCanSaveThem".

I really hope they heavily lean into the volcano as a ticking clock, and give the movie a stressful, race against time feeling.

Like Dunkirk, but replace the Nazis with a volcano and the British with dinosaurs.

(I'm like, 95% serious with that comparison.)

They can do some really fun stuff with repeated use of the same establishing wide-shot of the volcano and its surroundings, with the status of the volcano becoming increasingly dire in each iteration of the shot. It would also be quite Crichtonian in style, like an oblique nod to the section title pages in the novels (hell, go all in and use actual titles in the movie), or the shots of the progression of the virus from the Andromeda Strain mini-series.

I really hope they heavily lean into the volcano as a ticking clock, and give the movie a stressful, race against time feeling.

Like Dunkirk, but replace the Nazis with a volcano and the British with dinosaurs.

(I'm like, 95% serious with that comparison.)

They can do some really fun stuff with repeated use of the same establishing wide-shot of the volcano and its surroundings, with the status of the volcano becoming increasingly dire in each iteration of the shot. It would also be quite Crichtonian in style, like an oblique nod to the section title pages in the novels (hell, go all in and use actual titles in the movie), or the shots of the progression of the virus from the Andromeda Strain mini-series.

I believe a good portion of the movie does something similar, establishing the impending doom.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't get over how dumb that stegoceratops looks. As a nasutoceratops alone it's great, but those plates on it's back makes it looks like it was designed by a four year old. It's frill is even butting against some of them. I'm very happy this wasn't included in the movie.

I know it's not gonna happen, but I just want them to be done with this hybrid nonsense as soon as possible. It's not needed, and it adds nothing of value. I enjoyed Jurassic World very much, but these are the things that make me thing the series would be better without Trevorrow. Although pinning it all on him might be unfair.

Anywho. I think it would be nice if they could stop redesigning the dinos all the time. I love the color palette in the first two, but after that things started getting weird, and this obsession with blue-ish skin color in JW is just not very pleasant to the eye. Also, the eyes, what's up with the eyes in JW? Rexie looks like she's wearing white eyeliner.

Sorry, tiny vent there. JW was on the telly last night, so naturally I watched.

Got Close Encounters and ET on UHD today, had me wondering... you think there's a chance we'll get Jurassic Park in 4K around the release of Fallen Kingdom next year?

Snaku

Banned
Got Close Encounters and ET on UHD today, had me wondering... you think there's a chance we'll get Jurassic Park in 4K around the release of Fallen Kingdom next year?

Universal has big plans for Jurassic Park's 25th anniversary next year, I have to imagine a 4K release is a certainty.

Universal has big plans for Jurassic Park's 25th anniversary next year, I have to imagine a 4K release is a certainty.
Will likely be my first 4K release, just as it was my first BD and 3D-BD.

And Lost World my first DVD, lol

All before actually having a device to play them, lol.

The real question is if they will actually execute on their plans for Jurassic Park 25th. A few early milestones I heard about have came and went without updates.

The Mattel items have been delayed, so I'm curious what it means for the rest of the plans.

Honestly, at this point I don't even know what I could want out of an anniversary celebration. I have serveral editions of the films and OSTs. I don't want retro toys and I can't trust newer looking toys until I see them. High quality statues that aren't the HIGH high end variety would be nice.

I just want a good action/survival game. That's IT! Why is this such a hard idea to make/sell?

Actually, if they made that new JW park building game as a toys to life kinda game, I'd own my first toys to life game and would be collecting those dino figures....

Mattel has a internal Fallen Kingdom showcase today:

48LK9Tn.jpg

I'd kill to see more than that tease!

Jawmuncher

Hoping for an Alan grant and Ian Malcolm reunion after credits scene. Play up that nostalgia hard to get people hyped.

Since you already know Malcolm will be treated as such when they show off the first teaser.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
The new hybrid is such a turn off for me. I really, really don't want them to continue down this path.

I imagine Universal thinks the indominus is the reason for JWs success, not the fact that, you know, it's the first big dinosaur movie in years. I imagine they will dig further down this hole until people get tired of the hybrid nonsense, and earings drop. Then they will conclude that people don't care for dinosaurs anymore, and shelf the series.

For what it's worth, Fallen Kingdom has the largest amount of dinosaur species featured in a Jurassic movie, and only one is a hybrid. But I agree that it's already a tired concept.

For what it's worth, Fallen Kingdom has the largest amount of dinosaur species featured in a Jurassic movie, and only one is a hybrid. But I agree that it's already a tired concept.
Technically all of the species are hybrids.

:p

For real though, that’s pretty crazy. Gonna be nice to see a lot of dinos. Hopefully the designs improve from JW.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
We need an official Baryonyx appearance. Ever since I saw the official map of the park and goy the baby Bary figure, I've been wanting to see the fisher. But... done better than the Spino, to set them apart.

Jawmuncher

I disagree. I think they should keep doing hybrids to an extent. You can't rely on them to be the "bad guy" every film. But with all the DNA fuckery going on it makes sense that companies would be playing god past just making typical dinos.

MickeyPhree

Just finished my first read ever of Jurassic Park, kind of wish the movie could have followed the book a bit more closely, it was sooo good!!!!! That being said the movie is amazing, but that book is easily one of my top 5 favorites now

I read the book as a 12 year old the year before the movie came out. I was so disappointed when I finally saw the film. Still feel that way to this day.

JP has been kinda toying with the idea of mutant/hybrid dinosaurs for awhile, even before Jurassic World.

Of course, the most notable example of this was the short lived Chaos Effect toyline, featuring weirdo hybrid dinosaurs in wacky and gaudy color schemes. But one thing that goes kinda unnoticed is that mutant dinosaurs were a central theme during Universal's Halloween Horror Nights at their Orlando resort one year.

Basically, in 2002, Universal moved HHN from its usual home at Studios Florida to their recent and hottest theme park, Islands of Adventure. During the event, the park was renamed to "Islands of Fear", and all of its themed lands were morphed into far more sinister and darker versions of themselves: Marvel Super Hero Island became "Island Under Seige", where all the Marvel superheroes had been crushed by the villains, led by Carnage who transformed the island into a living warzone. Toon Lagoon became "Treaks and Foons", infested with freaky cartoony characters lurking about in huge piles of bubbely foam dispensed throughout the land. The Lost Continent became "Island of Evil Souls", with lots of evil demons and shit.

This brings us to IOA's Jurassic Park area, which was converted into "JP: Extinction". Just like in the movies, the power was turned off, allowing all carnivious dinosaurs to roam free and wreak havoc throughout the park (they even had dudes dressed up as velociraptors jumping out the bushes scaring people lol). But the big difference here is that, through some top secret inGen experimentation that went horribly wrong, these bizarre half human, half dinosaurs were born.

latest

Cq9QJn2VIAA5FUd.jpg

For the event, Universal converted the Triceratops Encounter walkthrough (RIP) into "Project Evilution", an outdoor haunted maze, where guests witnessed the chaos of these dinomen. Here's a vid of it in action.

And then Universal messed around with the idea of dinosaur-human hybrids for a potential Jurassic Park 4. Go figure.

latest

Jawmuncher

JP has been kinda toying with the idea of mutant/hybrid dinosaurs for awhile, even before Jurassic World.

Of course, the most notable example of this was the short lived Chaos Effect toyline, featuring weirdo hybrid dinosaurs in wacky and gaudy color schemes. But one thing that goes kinda unnoticed is that mutant dinosaurs were a center theme during Universal's Halloween Horror Nights at their Orlando resort one year.

Basically, in 2002, Universal moved HHN from its usual home at Studios Florida to their recent and hottest theme park, Islands of Adventure. During the event, the park was renamed to "Islands of Fear", and all of its themed lands were morphed into far more sinister and darker versions of themselves: Marvel Super Hero Island became "Island Under Seige", where all the Marvel superheroes had been crushed by the villains, led by Carnage who transformed the island into a living warzone. Toon Lagoon became "Treaks and Foons", infested with freaky cartoony characters lurking about in huge piles of bubbely foam dispensed throughout the land. The Lost Continent became "Island of Evil Souls", with lots of evil demons and shit.

This brings us to IOA's Jurassic Park area, which was converted into "JP: Extinction". Just like in the movies, the power was turned off, allowing all carnivious dinosaurs to roam free and wreak havoc throughout the park (they even had dudes dressed up as velociraptors jumping out the bushes scaring people lol). But the big difference here is that, through some top secret inGen experimentation that went horribly wrong, these bizarre half human, half dinosaurs were born.

latest

Cq9QJn2VIAA5FUd.jpg

For the event, Universal converted the Triceratops Encounter walkthrough (RIP) into "Project Evilution", an outdoor haunted maze, where guest witnessed the chaos of these dinomen.

And then Universal messed around with the idea of dinosaur-human hybrids for a potential Jurassic Park 4. Go figure.

latest

Like I know ya'll don't wanna hear it. But damn i'd be pretty ok with JP exploring some kinda Resident Evil-esque stuff. Nothing major like the whole world is taking over. But a complex that's filled with dinos and hybrids like these I think would be pretty interesting. When I was younger it was just about the dinosaurs. But as I got older part of me is really fascinated with the whole DNA fuckery aspect of it all. Like if they can make Dinosaurs and Hybrids what exactly else could they make? Especially when Ngen themselves are up to no good.

Also god damn I wish I had went to that halloween horror nights. I'll drive my ass down to florida quick if they ever brought it back. Or you know updated the Jurassic Park section period. Fucking King Kong over a Jurassic World ride was a mistake.

Amalthea

Banned
It's pretty mindblowing how hard Universal tries to turn the franchise into some schlocky trash and people even embrace it.

Jawmuncher

I'm still curious what they do with the series going forward without retreading ground.
To me the way the series is set you'll end up having to kind of shift expectations at some point. Though to what extent who knows. Maybe just bringing in other extinct animals would be all you need or it could end up being more.

We know right now the general summary is Dino Rights and saving them from the island.
Where do they go after that? You can't exactly just throw these animals into our world's ecosystem en masse without them affecting things.

They could go to ending the series. :3

No really, JP never needed even a sequel, and each successive sequel has strayed further and further from the identity of the original. It was never really something well-built for being franchised without quickly losing sight of itself.

I never got why Spielberg was so obsessed with keeping this specific franchise running, when he’s never been a sequel guy at all (Indiana aside, but that’s very deliberately templated after old action serials so sequels were in the DNA since day 0). Jaws is JP’s closest sibling in the Spielbergverse, and he has always rejected the idea of it receiving sequels.

Jawmuncher

They could go to ending the series. :3

No really, JP never needed even a sequel, and each successive sequel has strayed further and further from the identity of the original. It was never really something well-built for being franchised without quickly losing sight of itself.

I never got why Spielberg was so obsessed with keeping this specific franchise running, when he’s never been a sequel guy at all (Indiana aside, but that’s very deliberately templated after old action serials so sequels were in the DNA since day 0). Jaws is JP’s closest sibling in the Spielbergverse, and he has always rejected the idea of it receiving sequels.

Probably because it’s the only dinosaur thing that’s really done. For whatever reason shark stuff is a lot more commonplace even without looking at the B rated stuff. While successful dinosaur films are few and far between.

Jurassic World Funko Pops are on the way!!

Universal Brand Development has announced the global merchandising program for Jurassic Word sequel, The Fallen Kingdom, with toys hitting retail in Spring 2018.

Master global toy partner Mattel and LEGO Systems will lead the retail roll-out with toys across a variety of play patterns and age segments, additional toy, role play and costume licensees supporting the second film include Funko, Build-A-Bear, Rubies, Wowee and more.

“The Jurassic World franchise has always had huge cross-generational family appeal, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom promises to be one of the biggest movie and merchandising events of 2018,” said Vince Klaseus, president of Universal Brand Development.

“Following the success of 2015, we’ve been hard at work to build out the largest Jurassic World program to-date to meet the increasing demands from fans, as well as reach new audiences around the world – demonstrating the global appeal of this 365 mega-franchise.”

Master global toy partner Mattel and LEGO Systems will lead the retail roll-out with toys across a variety of play patterns and age segments, additional toy, role play and costume licensees supporting the second film include Funko, Build-A-Bear, Rubies, Wowee and more.

“This will be a focused UK campaign with opportunities to maximise the popularity of the franchise throughout 2018, starting with a focus on the classic movie and moving into activity for the release of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, followed by back to school and subsequently the DVD release,” said Hannah Mungo, country director UK & Ireland Consumer Products at NBC Universal Brand Development.

Other multi-tiered and cross-category licensees involve Apparel and home/décor (H&M, Freeze, 5th Sun, Issac Morris, GBG, Fast Forward and Franco), Food, beauty and stationary/expressions (Kelloggs, Ferrero, Jelly Belly, PEZ, GBG Beauty, Party City, Innovative Designs, DecoPac and American Greetings) and Gaming and digital – [including the] recently debuted Jurassic World Evolution from Frontier Development, with additional gaming titles and platforms from other partners to be announced soon

Plus

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom promotional banners/displays premiere at Brand Licensing Europe!

Top Bottom