• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 is broken on PS4, where is the noise?

TheDanger

Banned
Digital Foundry made some noise when the game came out, but somehow no one mentions that with the current patch the performance is worse than it ever was. The previous state while far from decent was at least playable, now it's like playing in slow motion when there is action and I have the feeling it's gonna stay like this.

superjona

Performance is absolutely terrible since that patch. I enjoyed playing it at launch but I can't go back to it now. There's still a DLC pack underway, right? I guess we can only hope they decide to fix it when that patch launches.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Performance is absolutely terrible since that patch. I enjoyed playing it at launch but I can't go back to it now. There's still a DLC pack underway, right? I guess we can only hope they decide to fix it when that patch launches.

There's one piece of DLC remaining and the game released more than seven months ago now. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The game can shine on the PC, but you need a fairly decent system (ideally a quad-core Intel CPU with HyperThreading, at least 12GB RAM, at least 4GB VRAM and preferably an SSD).

I've emailed Sony about 5 times regarding getting a refund for this broken piece of shite and no luck. Trading standards have done piss all either. I'm gonna call Sony at some point and just constantly complain until they refund me.

I just stopped caring. Even aside from the performance issues I was not enjoying it very much. I'd sell it except that I think I'd get about $.50 for it.

Avalanche doesn't seem to support their games that much after release. Same with MM. I had high hopes with this game. Sadly they ruined it with online stuff. I hated that!!

That sucks. And yeah, I hope the current PS4 problems gets more coverage because I was really looking forward to this game back when it came out but decided to offset the bugs by waiting for the price to go down. I'm glad I waited after hearing how the game performs after the patch.

Avalanche STILL have not fixed the trophy issue with Mad Max that frustratingly will not award me the platinum even though I have done EVERYTHING.

Don't hold your breath

AwRy108

Digital Foundry made some noise when the game came out, but somehow no one mentions that with the current patch the performance is worse than it ever was. The previous state while far from decent was at least playable, now it's like playing in slow motion when there is action and I have the feeling it's gonna stay like this.

I know it's not ideal (or fair to the consumers who paid for the game, myself included), but could you just disable the PS4's auto-patching for the week or two that you're playing through the game?

In any event, screw the devs and publishers who pull this kind of crap.

EDIT: ...start watching this at 1:40: https://youtu.be/RPMbWwDFVCY

I had issues with that game on PC too. Overall I think it was an extremely buggy game and I quickly got fed up with it. Bummer, but at least I have trillions of other open-world games to play. I played Saints Row: Gat out of Hell instead and it satisfied the same craving.

Crumpo

I heard the noise when it came out and responded by not buying the game, so the noise did its job. Continually shouting about the game still being broken seems a bit unnecessary tbh.

This is why you shouldn't pre-order stuff.

xrnzaaas

I know that different teams were doing Mad Max and Just Cause 3, but they both should be ashamed of themselves. I don't know which one was worse on the consoles from the technical standpoint. With Mad Max I got a gamebreaking bug which was fixed A MONTH later and there was constant low fps in the later areas (until you destroyed all the convoys). Just Cause is a mess as a whole... poor framerate mixed with insane loading times.

jet1911

The PC version is a stuttering mess too. Even when I drop the resolution/graphic quality (720p/low) it stutter like crazy. Unplayable mess.

In my opinion, a broken game being made more broken after you bought it should constitute a refund or a guaranteed fix. I wish laws around this were made more modern, because this will only get worse as time goes on. If I buy a game, and for example a year later the company takes down the servers that the game needs for single player, my game and my money are gone and there's nothing I can do about it, or if I buy a game and ten hours in there is a permanent crash or bug which means the game cannot be completed, you're shit out of luck. Same with issues like false advertising (bullshots and vertical slices promoted as actual products), shady reviewer-publisher relationships and the sort. There are gaps in the law and that lets these companies get away with it.

tanooki27

I heard the noise when it came out and responded by not buying the game, so the noise did its job. Continually shouting about the game still being broken seems a bit unnecessary tbh.

unnecessary? they're still selling it new, no? and if the patches are fucking things up further....where else would he go to discuss but GAF?

Tobor

I passed after hearing the uproar at launch as well. I disagree about letting it go now though. If the game is ever fixed, I'd still like to buy it. JC2 was one of my favorite games last gen. It sucks I had to skip JC3 entirely.

Avalanche should have their feet held to the fire until they fix this mess.

I don't know why devs pull this type of shit tbh. It just sullies your name. Joe/Jane Schmo off the street won't care, but the folks like us won't be buying your next game.

edbrat

loved jc2 so much I preordered 3. I would have preordered 4 5 and 6 as well if they hadn't fucked this up so much.

udllpn

I think reminding this to people is very relevant taking into account that the game is on sale frequently on the PSN Store.

Nesther

I think reminding this to people is very relevant taking into account that the game is on sale frequently on the PSN Store.

Absolutely. I'm glad for these threads, was thinking of picking this up during this sale, given the state it's in, I will abstain.

KyleCross

Hearing of the issues definitely cost them a sale from me, I almost picked it up recently and then remembered what I had heard. Glad I stopped myself.

OCD Guy

I am 100% digital, and I purchased Just Cause 3 on sale from the PSN store....

This game alone is the reason I would love a refund policy implemented like steam and origin etc.

It's a disgrace that games are released and just left to die. The developers must know how this game plays, surely they can't be getting job satisfaction out of seeing the end result?!

Honestly if there was a refund policy I'd not have been as mad, I'd have got my refund and moved on.

Also I reckon if there was a refund policy, if a large percentage of people requested refunds it would likely initiate some sort of fix, i.e look at arkham knight on the pc. When large amounts of people were requesting refunds they pulled it from sale. If it had been released on console in that state I don't think it would have been fixed.

But as it stands everyone who bought the game digitally is fucked, so they have our money. I bet they'd panick if we could get our money back though....

Lastly it's all well and good saying trade it in if you're physical, but they don't care, as they've still been paid initially.

So ignoring the fact that their post release support of the game has made the game considerably worse. Your pre-order or lack thereof doesn't make a blind bit of difference. They fucked the game up yet they're still selling it and still selling new dlc.

Still borked on Xbox as well, and the Mad Max issues on XB1/PS4 kind of flew under the radar too.

As xrnzaaas mentioned, it was clear they never got around to optimizing Act III and then couldn't be bothered to fix it once they got our money.

Screw Avalanche.

gafneo

Banned
I would demand a refund even though the policy is counter. Explain to customer service that the game is not functional and they will give you money back in the form of wallet credits. I had a game not load where it was digitally downloaded. They failed to get it launching so I got my money back. Just Cause 3 is fun as hell though. Maybe wait and see if the Neo improves it's performance issues to rebuy it.

tilomite!

I recently got the platinum trophy for this game on PS4. Besides the long initial loading times, I didn't have significant performance issues. Maybe I'm not as picky, but I thought the game was fun and performed well.

gafneo

Banned
I had issues with that game on PC too. Overall I think it was an extremely buggy game and I quickly got fed up with it. Bummer, but at least I have trillions of other open-world games to play. I played Saints Row: Gat out of Hell instead and it satisfied the same craving.

I never had a single bug and I've played it since launch. The last Jc was the glitchiest game I've ever owned. Maybe my Steam copy of JC3 updated without me knowing.

OCD Guy

I recently got the platinum trophy for this game on PS4. Besides the long initial loading times, I didn't have significant performance issues. Maybe I'm not as picky, but I thought the game was fun and performed well.

I could live with frame rate drops. But honestly at times it feels like a slideshow.

I completed Unity on PS4 and as we all know that game was described as a mess, but I actually didn't find it too terrible after a few fixes. But Just Cause 3 is absolute shit in places.

I don't think its hyperbole either, it's not a few frame rate drops, it feels like it's running at about 12fps at times.

Has digital foundry done a frame rate test on this game?

U2NUMB

Please lets not forget that the X1 version is also now broke since the patch.

It really is such a shit move to not fix their own bad patch. I can not play the damn game and I bought everything digitally... based on the first month playing it. I enjoyed it .. now it is flat out horrible.

Must the 10 Gaffers that purchased already sold it though.

But seriously it's odd, maybe not enough people outside of GAF bought the game or they moved on our just simply don't care.

I enjoyed doing crazy shit in JC2 because the story and MCs sucked balls (this one probably is the same) that said i was willing to buy it in Prime Day but not with those performance issues

No one is asking Rockstar levels of polish though but maybe sacrifice something if the consoles cant handle it?

Gravy100

I think people should be aware that this game was passable at launch, frame rate wasn't perfect but it was NOTHING compared to how this game is performing after the patches applied to it - the game seems to apply a slow motion effect now and frequently goes into ~10 fps slideshow moments during and after firefights. It's such a shame as I really enjoyed this as a chill out game, flying about and shooting things is really satisfying and I would have been all over the DLC but I'm really dismayed and disappointed that they're not able to fix this issue.

I would like to see this followed up and investigated by press and ask the developer questions about how they can release extra content for a broken game and expect people to buy it.

I really wanted this game, too. I've held off solely because of the terrible performance. So weird how they haven't fixed this. It's like they don't want my money or something.

Beyond poor.

Avalanche had so much goodwill in their favor after JC2 and they've just pissed it all up against the wall with JC3.

Christ. Starting at 2:00, it literally renders 16 frames over the next 3 minutes.

Wow. I haven't played it since it launched so never saw what that patch did. But that has to be some kind of special record for shitness in tech.

Juxo

digital_foundry_bat_symbol.jpg

There definitely needs to be a spotlight on this mess of a game until it gets fixed.

My thoughts exactly. This thread is right on time because it's currently on sale and you all just saved me some monies.

Top Bottom