• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 is broken on PS4, where is the noise?

Durden77

I was so excited about this game on release and did have a lot of fun with it, but I can't believe it's in the state it's in now. It performance issues at launch and it's seemed like they've only gotten worse. Just terrible for a game about pure chaos and fun.

Did they ever even release the season pass content?

Kill3r7

Must the 10 Gaffers that purchased already sold it though.

But seriously it's odd, maybe not enough people outside of GAF bought the game or they moved on our just simply don't care.

I enjoyed doing crazy shit in JC2 because the story and MCs sucked balls (this one probably is the same) that said i was willing to buy it in Prime Day but not with those performance issues

No one is asking Rockstar levels of polish though but maybe sacrifice something if the consoles cant handle it?

IIRC the game sold pretty well, nothing amazing but far better than most games. Steamspy suggest around 680K+ copies on PC alone. Probably around 2 million across consoles and PC. That is nothing to sneeze at. I think the general public is not bothered by performance issues to the same extent as folks on GAF.

danowat

Banned
So they can promote their awesome new product in peace? Hell no. Give em hell internet.
I've been banging on about it for months, outside of a vocal few of us, no one, especially not Avalanche, actually cares.
Last Avalanche product I buy.

S1kkZ

I've been banging on about it for months, outside of a vocal few of us, no one, especially not Avalanche, actually cares.
Last Avalanche product I buy.

they really dont give a fuck. still pissed that df ignores this issue and will probably continue to do so.

U2NUMB

Could be. The performance was already shitty at launch too, especially on Xbox One.

It was not ideal but it was playable... hell I enjoyed it at launch. I sold my physical copy and then a couple months later when a sale hit digitally I dove in. I had no idea about this patch.. it is something I do not remember happening where the game was destroyed by a patch and never fixed.

So it was playable originally on X1... most certainly it was. Now it is just a total shame.

RPGam3r

I know it's not ideal (or fair to the consumers who paid for the game, myself included), but could you just disable the PS4's auto-patching for the week or two that you're playing through the game?

In any event, screw the devs and publishers who pull this kind of crap.

EDIT: ...start watching this at 1:40: https://youtu.be/RPMbWwDFVCY

Usually I roll my eyes when I hear people on GAF say something is unplayable. I assumed this was one of those moments. Boy who cried wold and all that.

BUT damn that is terrible! I wish gamers would save their "unplayable", "shit", "hot garbage" cards for situations like this.

I remember having 5 minute long load times when retrying a challenge on PS4. Haven't played much more of it since.

There was a thread similar to this one a while back where a lot of players mentioned that the game got a lot worse and than a bit better after some patches. I guess the newest patch (for the dlc is assume) makes it worse again?

Rellik

I know it's not ideal (or fair to the consumers who paid for the game, myself included), but could you just disable the PS4's auto-patching for the week or two that you're playing through the game?

Holy shit at that video. It really is unplayable.

Beast780

Just Cause 3 and Fallout 4 were a final straw for me after being so crappy on console. I built a gaming PC the first part of this year and haven't looked back. I've been a console gamer my whole life,

Idk what Avalanche is thinking, this is gonna make people hesitant to buy their next game. Even if it works perfect at launch there's no guarantee they won't fuck it up with a patch down the line.

madjoki

Just Cause 2 was so fun, great looking and it ran fine on ps3 and 360. How is this even possible?

Just Cause 3 was done by different team than Just Cause 2. JC2 team worked on Mad Max.

Wow, that's real bad. At least PC version is playable, if you have beefy system.

Roussow

How does it play unpatched and offline? sure I guess you don't have leaderboards and such, but the base game content is all fine and good, yeah? I remember hearing issues having to do with game pinging the server, what was that about?

Jedi2016

Idk what Avalanche is thinking, this is gonna make people hesitant to buy their next game. Even if it works perfect at launch there's no guarantee they won't fuck it up with a patch down the line.
That's what people need to start asking them the instant they announce their next game. Not just about the technical issues, but the lack of response and refunds from the dev/publisher. Of course, that won't happen, since game journalists don't have any balls.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just need to constantly reiterate that the patch that made performance worse was meant to improve the framerate because of the sheer incompetence that embodies.

EoinOL

Idk what Avalanche is thinking, this is gonna make people hesitant to buy their next game.
What's even sillier is that Avalanche, more than most other developers, benefited from strong word of mouth based on Just Cause 2. I convinced several people to buy either Just Cause 2 or Just Cause 3 based on how good JC2 was.

Next time, I won't be doing that. I'll be doing the exact opposite - warning people away from buying any future Avalanche games because of this kind of shitshow.

They may think that ignoring this and concentrating on their next project is a good idea. I think it will instead doom them.

What are the chances Neo and Scorpio run the game better?
If they're not going to patch the game to fix performance issues this bad, they're not going to patch the game to take advantage of Neo (and I assume Scorpio) hardware, which is required for older games.

Crumpo

unnecessary? they're still selling it new, no? and if the patches are fucking things up further....where else would he go to discuss but GAF?

This is already known; there's no new news. Those who wish to purchase the game can easily find (or have already seen) threads about how busted it is.

I think that's a proportionate response to the issue.

Gravy100

I just need to constantly reiterate that the patch that made performance worse was meant to improve the framerate because of the sheer incompetence that embodies.

That's amazing - maybe they had a magic PS4 they'd played it on where they were getting a solid 30fps with these patches...crazy.

Also for people seeing that video and saying that this kind of bug is rare, last three times I've played the game it has hard crashed to PS4 error screen and I've lost whatever progress I made since the last time I saved, someone somewhere in that company pressed all the wrong buttons when they wrote these patches, like, shit is on fire over there.

LiK

yea, i refuse to buy the game on console no matter how cheap it is. will get it for PS4 if it's free for PS+. still waiting for it to go cheaper on PC.

Digital Foundry made some noise when the game came out, but somehow no one mentions that with the current patch the performance is worse than it ever was. The previous state while far from decent was at least playable, now it's like playing in slow motion when there is action and I have the feeling it's gonna stay like this.

I just bought this. Usually do not notice frame rate drops but christ it's in the low 10's when a couple of explosions happen.

This is not cool at all, because there is a real fun game hidden underneath the bad perfomance.

This is already known; there's no new news. Those who wish to purchase the game can easily find (or have already seen) threads about how busted it is.

What a stupid comment. So it's basically the customers fault.

I impulse bought it and haven't followed around in the OT or anything too closely for that matter.

Didn't know it was this bad.

Gravy100

Except that the game has changed its state from launch where it was a little janky to full blown broken after these patches. It's already been helpful in this thread for one guy who hasn't bought the game. If everybody is quiet about it what good does that do - also we're on a discussion forum so we're discussing.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
The devs even said that you need 16 gigs of RAM on PC for it to not be an unplayable mess, but didn't bother changing the system requirements. I don't think they've said a word about fixing the game in like half a year.

At least Arkham Knight got some fixing before they sold DLC for it.

OVDRobo

Every chance I have, I discourage people from buying the console versions of this broken piece of garbage game.

I still can't believe that people were waiting months for a performance patch and when it finally came, it completely broke the game performance-wise instead, then Avalanche released DLC and have been quiet since.

Crumpo

What a stupid comment. So it's basically the customers fault.

I impulse bought it and haven't followed around in the OT or anything too closely for that matter.

Didn't know it was this bad.

Where did I say that? I simply said we already know it's busted; I don't see how you managed to twist that into it being the consumer's fault. It's a simple case of voting with your wallet.

We're on GAF-I would have thought most people either research their games before buying or if they buy on a whim they did it for a reason that would make them overlook things like graphics/frame rate (like big fans of the series).

OT - Anything coming out of Avalanche's studios should not get a free pass from now on; they have lost any faith that they have built up over the years.

Harlequin

I know that different teams were doing Mad Max and Just Cause 3, but they both should be ashamed of themselves. I don't know which one was worse on the consoles from the technical standpoint. With Mad Max I got a gamebreaking bug which was fixed A MONTH later and there was constant low fps in the later areas (until you destroyed all the convoys). Just Cause is a mess as a whole... poor framerate mixed with insane loading times.

No idea what happened with MM but I think in JC3's case, Square Enix probably also deserves some of the blame, what with wanting to make it an online game (I think? It's been some time since I read about it but IIRC it was supposed to go into a similar direction as Triad Wars or sth.) and then changing their minds halfway through development.

Top Bottom