• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 is broken on PS4, where is the noise?

U2NUMB

How's the Xbox One version? Better? Worse?

Similar story... ran ok to meh before but totally playable. Performance patch hits and anytime you are liberating a town or when things get chaotic (and they do all the freaking time) the frames drop to crazy low levels.

I have not seen it to the point of that video but I would not be surprised if that could happen on the X1.

Out of curiosity I fired up my copy on my X1 to finally start the Mech DLC.. so far its holding up but I am in controlled smaller areas. I fully expect it to get bad.

NeoRaider

I still wonder how are they allowed to do this. (For both PS4 and Xbox One) and don't offer any kind of refund. Why are they so silent? Together with Sony and MS?

bobawesome

I heard the noise when it came out and responded by not buying the game, so the noise did its job. Continually shouting about the game still being broken seems a bit unnecessary tbh.

This is why you shouldn't pre-order stuff.

Yeah, screw it. Things aren't worth worrying or complaining about unless they affect me personally.

JJD

Just Cause 3 was done by different team than Just Cause 2. JC2 team worked on Mad Max.

Mad Max isn't that much better. The first half of the game is OK, but after you reach the northern part of the map there is slowdown frequently when you drive around.

I'm not a guy who is usually bothered by slowdown, but it was bad enough for me to notice.

Alienous

At least now I won't mind if FFXV sells poorly.

How any publisher can allow the continued sale of shit like this is ridiculous.

NeoRaider

Reading this about Mad Max and JC3... It might be HDD or memory issue that's why they can't do anything? Or they can but it needs a lot of work.

I didn't know that Max Max had issues on consoles too.

jrcbandit

Yeah, expect when there's explosions, then framerate tanks hard. 970 isn't 1440p card for most games either, so that's not really valid comparison.

Yeah, explosions kill the frame rate. I have 970 in SLI which is great for 1440P when SLI is actually supported. At the 970 launch in Sep 14, SLI was supported pretty well but for the last 1-1.5 years or so, SLI support has been pretty pitiful. SLI support never added in, added in 1 month after launch, or very poor scaling.

I heard the noise when it came out and responded by not buying the game, so the noise did its job. Continually shouting about the game still being broken seems a bit unnecessary tbh.

This is why you shouldn't pre-order stuff.

Your post makes no sense. You managed to avoid buying it, so fuck everyone else, right?! Also, considering this is about a patch which made the game worse several months after release, has literally nothing to do with pre-ordering.

Experien

Reading this about Mad Max and JC3... It might be HDD or memory issue that's why they can't do anything? Or they can but it needs a lot of work.

I didn't know that Max Max had issues on consoles too.

It does? I bought it digitally and it works fine last time I played it.

SilentRob

I did my part and even produced a 15-minute-video simply about the fact that Just Cause 3 is utterly broken on PS4 and Xbox One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djuC-wdFfbw
You probably won't understand german but here is just a long gameplay recording, uncut footage where the game runs at what I'd say is 15-20 fps for almost 10 minutes: https://youtu.be/djuC-wdFfbw?t=8m13s

I think Digital Foundry kinda dropped the ball on this one since they only made a video showing the beginning of the game, both pre- and post-patch. There it ran fine since those weren't the destruction heavy parts, they didn't actually try to free one of the dozens of big cities on the map as far as I know. Everytime you try that the game just becomes unplayable :/ DF has a big influence on how games are perceived on a technical level so I think that could have been one reason there wasn't really too much of a fallout. Of course it's entirely possible I simply missed the video where they did, apologies of that's the case!

Avalanche is a company of scumbags, period

Meanwhile they have not hesitated to churn out dlc you can buy for a broken game

They are not a studio to support

Square decides if they get the ressources to work on a patch or in what state the game has to be released.

vypek

Avalanche is starving any community that still cares with radio silence.

Months ago there seemed to be some internal shake up where a new community manager showed up and the previous one disappeared (the previous posted here and on the official forums). Last I checked a while back, the replacement community manager stopped interacting with customers as well.

I don't think they will do anything with this game or franchise even after the rest of the DLC have plopped out. Try to get a refund from wherever if you can but at this point I'd just give up on the team that made it as well as the franchise. Unless there will be a reboot sometime in the future. I have a ton of problems with the game even besides the technical issues.

joecanada

I think the noise is most avoided buying it but I feel for those who bought it and got the raw deal.
Problem is the company probably wrote it off as a failure and won't put resources into it . So strange when a company shits the bed then points to slow sales after the fact

5taquitos

Count me in as another lost sale. I was a huge JC2 fan (it was my first platinum), but I won't be buying this or future Avalanche games.

Really shocked to hear about all of these performance issues on consoles, Mad Max is phenomenal on PC and runs amazingly well on a variety of setups, I've seen plenty of videos of the game running really well on mid-range GPUs of 3-5 years ago.

For Just Cause 3 the performance problems have been around for months on the consoles, I can't believe they haven't fixed it yet.

On PC Just Cause 3 is pretty demanding and is a real memory hog, I think this is the first game I've ever seen that doesn't run well with 8GB of ram, I happen to have tested this game with 8GB of ram just to experiment and see how much ram this game demands and I noticed that a lot of stuttering was introduced when switching from 12GB of memory to 8GB of memory. I think you need 10-12GB of ram to ensure smooth gameplay on PC.

The game runs at 60+ fps for me at max settings with a i7 4790K and a GTX 970 with 12GB of ram, however it sometimes drops to around 50 fps when there are a lot of explosions taking place, in these scenarios my 1333MHz ram is holding back the performance, however with a 1600MHz-2133MHz set it would mostly stay above 60 fps even under these conditions.

EDIT: ...start watching this at 1:40: https://youtu.be/RPMbWwDFVCY

Uh...wow. I mean I would just assume the game crashed at that point. Sheer incompetence.

I've never really followed the JC series closely, but after MGSV yikes, that gameplay is horrid. Why does a helicopter gunship just hover in front of you while you fire pistols at it? It looks like an open world game for people who are bad at videogames.

MMaRsu

Banned
Really shocked to hear about all of these performance issues on consoles, Mad Max is phenomenal on PC and runs amazingly well on a variety of setups, I've seen plenty of videos of the game running really well on mid-range GPUs of 3-5 years ago.

These performance problems have been around for months on the consoles, I can't believe they haven't fixed it yet.

On PC Just Cause 3 is pretty demanding and is a real memory hog, I think this is the first game I've ever seen that doesn't run well with 8GB of ram, I happen to have tested this game with 8GB of ram just to experiment and see how much ram this game demands and I noticed that a lot of stuttering was introduced when switching from 12GB of memory to 8GB of memory. I think you need 10-12GB of ram to ensure smooth gameplay on PC.

The game runs at 60+ fps for me at max settings with a i7 4790K and a GTX 970 with 12GB of ram, however it sometimes drops to around 50 fps when there are a lot of explosions taking place, in these scenarios my 1333MHz ram is holding back the performance, however with a 1600MHz-2133MHz set it would mostly stay above 60 fps even under these conditions.

So you can aay at least its coded pretty badly

OmegaDL50

I still think the biggest issue is the fact that Mad Max was developed by the main studio in Stockholm, Sweden who also developed JC2.

Avalanche New York which is a more recent studio handled Just Cause 3 as their first major project.

It really makes you wonder if anyone from the main studio was at all available as a form of quality control to make sure the game didn't turn out as it did.

If there ever is a Just Cause 4, better hope Avalanche New York isn't anywhere near the game. Even if the main studio in Stockholm, I still would be skeptical until a thorough Digital Foundry analysis ascertains there isn't any glaring performance issues.

bender

What time is it?
As someone who owns and has finished JC3 on the PS4, the only solace I take in these patches making things worse is that even if it performed flawlessly, it just isn't a good game. After adoring JC2, this sequel was such a massive disappointment and the post launch support has me writing off Avalanche all together.

OCD Guy

In its current state, is this game worth $5?

If so then I am fine!

Not in my opinion.

It's unplayable at times. It's the game I regret buying the most this gen, simply because of how bad it is with regards to the framerate.

I think you should spend $5 on a game that works as it should.

I'd go as far to say that this game has the worst framerate I've seen on a console, and that's saying something as there are a lot of games out there with shitty framerates when a lot happens on the screen.

It's unlikely but as I'm stuck with the game, I would love there to perhaps be a "neo" patch, but I think older games receiving those sort of treatments are going to be rare as they're free. You can bet your life that if they were charged, then EVERY single publisher out there would push the devs to release "upgrades".

DPtheGod

Not in my opinion.

It's unplayable at times. It's the game I regret buying the most this gen, simply because of how bad it is with regards to the framerate.

I think you should spend $5 on a game that works as it should.

Oh wow, this sounds like a nightmare!

Truth be told, I actually bought this month's ago for $5 haha.

Well this saddens me :( I remember having a blast with 2. Oh well! Thanks for the info!

OCD Guy

Oh wow, this sounds like a nightmare!

Truth be told, I actually bought this month's ago for $5 haha.

Well this saddens me :( I remember having a blast with 2. Oh well! Thanks for the info!

Well as you've got it, it's worth trying it so you can see for yourself.

On forums people tend to exagerrate as you know, but Just Cause 3 is truly shit at times, and as I said before I managed to complete Assassin's Creed Unity on release (so that's saying something), but as of today I actually can't bring myself to try and play Just Cause 3.

If I'm honest I'd rather have worse graphics and for it to be MANDATORY that games are 60fps. Never going to happen I know but Just Cause 3 is evidence that framerate matters, and proof that a refund policy is needed for digital games.

U2NUMB

Even Lichdom got a damn good patch to make it playable and we are here dealing with a AAA game where a patch made it much worse and we have no hope of them bothering to fix it.

So what can we do... continue to hit the DF and news outlets?

Freeman76

So ignoring the fact that their post release support of the game has made the game considerably worse. Your pre-order or lack thereof doesn't make a blind bit of difference. They fucked the game up yet they're still selling it and still selling new dlc.

The performance was shit on release. His lack of pre-order saved him from that as he was sensible enough to wait.

xrnzaaas

I think Digital Foundry kinda dropped the ball on this one since they only made a video showing the beginning of the game, both pre- and post-patch. There it ran fine since those weren't the destruction heavy parts, they didn't actually try to free one of the dozens of big cities on the map as far as I know. Everytime you try that the game just becomes unplayable :/ DF has a big influence on how games are perceived on a technical level so I think that could have been one reason there wasn't really too much of a fallout. Of course it's entirely possible I simply missed the video where they did, apologies of that's the case!

Yep. I can understand they didn't know about that when they were testing the game around the premiere date, but after reading the comments they should make another round of tests including the new patch performance and the locations and certain activities mentioned by their viewers. With Mad Max it was the same. They didn't unlock the northern areas of the wasteland where the game was having enormous problems with the framerate.

DrDamn

If you check my post history you'll see I've defended the game previously (PS4 version). Never had a huge problem with the game, playable, lots of fun, was enjoying my time with it. The latest patch had a big impact though, slow mo is awful and does make the game unplayable when the action hots up. Has been deleted from my HDD. :-(

danowat

Banned
I did want to point out that, unlike the thread title suggests, there HAS been plenty of noise about it, in numerous threads, on GAF.

It's just that no one outside of GAF seems to care, or take any notice.

Tal

Geeez at that video. I bought this a while ago on sale and haven't started it, I really hope there's a patch with the final dlc.

Fishook

Its a classic example of a game rushed out for the xmas market, and never getting fully fixed. Unless a game sells well within the first few weeks its classed as a failure, It was only due to the Steam refund policy that Batman was pulled and fixed. and it was classed as flagship franchise.

Your average console gamer/kid will only buy only 5 or 6 full priced games a year and once you take off CoD, FiFA etc that leaves only a few games left and games like Just Cause struggle, compared to the advertised games. The second hand market is no concern to developers, is where these games tend to do better,

Hardcore gamer's tend to get the raw deal as we are more likely to support these type of games.

Abylim

This is horrible.

It seemed ok at launch, but havent touched it since. Was going to go back to it after Grand Kingdom, but I dont think I'll bother.

Disappointing.

lucius

I bought this during XB1 sale but only started really playing it today, wow you guys weren't exaggerating it almost stops at times, wonder what broke it when they patched it. My bad I wasn't following the game much and just saw some good reviews. Slowdown usually doesn't bother me either, but the game feels like it stops when trying to liberate a big part. I do like the game when it's running though but broken is definitely a good way to describe it, what a waste of space bucks.

Chabbles

Just got it on the PS4, played about 2 hours and it seemed fine for me. OUTRAGE!

At the beginning in the smaller islands at the bottom of the map its grand alot of the time.

Pretty soon you move up to the big island though. Im not saying performance is perfect on the smaller islands or anything, it just gets monumentally worse just as the game opens up and you move onto the bigger island.

It runs great on PC.

You should probably build a PC.

Excellent solution!

189.gif

Top Bottom