• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 screenshots Leaked [Update: New microtransaction hell screenshots]

Tythan

It may be still at early stages. Look at overall quality. Don't cry for framerate, cry for microtransactions.

I thought F2P rumors were swirling this game for a while now? I'm not buying any game that encourages me to rent digital items. SE can fuck right off if that's the case.

Lego Boss

MT and P2W is dead as dead. It's a flawed model, which may work with casual games, but has no place in AAA.

FH2 reversed a lot of the MTs Playground had in the original game, to the point where they keep adding content without making a song and dance about it.

The key to good videogame business? Look after your core customers first.

Sony did this this gen and they're reaping the rewards while MS play catch up.

Dug this up from an old thread:

a3CigKk.png

(Christofer Sundberg = Avalanche Studios founder and creative director)

GG no purchase from me. Seriously, this is not what I want to support

Sundberg, Avalanche Studios founder, said Just Cause 3 is not free-to-play, some days ago on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/CHSundberg/status/528669469061971968

...oh. OK then, I'm back on-board.

d00d3n

Looks similar to the previous game. Is the downside of producing such an epic game to begin with, I guess.

Assuming this is on both 360 and Xb1, the graphics look more than acceptable for a cross-generation game. Some of the textures look like they're stretched a bit out of proportion. Otherwise, interesting stuff. But nobody wants microtransactions...

Assuming this is on both 360 and Xb1, the graphics look more than acceptable for a cross-generation game. Some of the textures look like they're stretched a bit out of proportion. Otherwise, interesting stuff. But nobody wants microtransactions...

JC2 was an absolutely gorgeous game even on the 360. I think Avalanche dabbles in the same black magic that Rockstar does.

Trapper Dave

Neo Member
It's about time, I loved the second one.

I just wonder how far through production they are.

The buy/rent options are a bit concerning though.

MaLDo

Honest question:

The widespread rejection in the forums about the leaked gif of Sleeping Dogs Triad Wars, had some effect on the development / presentation of the game?

Because maybe a sad developer is leaking JC3 screenshots so their heads have something to talk about in the important meetings.

Quentyn

Eurogamer has a few more details from a source.

A source close to the project who asked not to be named verified the first image, saying it showed off Just Cause 3's Black Market. This lets players drop items into the game world at will.

There was once a plan to have the PC version of Just Cause 3 free-to-play, with the console versions paid-for titles with optional micro-transactions, but we understand the plan changed and this may no longer be the case.

Both Square Enix and Avalanche declined to comment when contacted by Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...creenshots-hint-at-f2p-and-micro-transactions

Übermatik;137445721 said:
Two more apparently:

heili3h.jpg

jyljSy3.jpg

I'm surprized that so few games are set in the Mediterranean area. Seems like an interesting locale for Just Cause.

Hopefully Avalanche will provide some official clarification before too long. I imagine they won't want to have negative buzz surrounding the game now that it is confirmed to exist.

why are people commenting on the graphics of what is obviously an in-development game? moreover, why does this happen almost every single time an in-development game is shown early?

Hopefully Avalanche will provide some official clarification before too long. I imagine they won't want to have negative buzz surrounding the game now that it is confirmed to exist.
This game was never officially confirmed? Pretty sure there's been word of this game for more than a year now.

Edit: Actually, we've known about JC3 since December 2011. Here's the GAF thread.

I hope it's not a microtransaction-riddled game. I won't buy it. Even if the game were free, and all the microtransactions added up to less than $60 (which obviously wouldn't be the case), I wouldn't buy it. It's not about the money. I hate the "buy me!" prompts, and I hate buying things in pieces. Just sell me the game.

There was once a plan to have the PC version of Just Cause 3 free-to-play, with the console versions paid-for titles with optional micro-transactions, but we understand the plan changed and this may no longer be the case.

I really do hope it's no longer the case. Just give me one more traditional JC game. That's all I ask.

Please.

Shredderi

Propably changed yesterday. Hopefully it will have a built in multiplayer from the start so me and my serdadus can wreak havoc, provided that they won't fuck it up.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really do hope it's no longer the case. Just give me one more traditional JC game. That's all I ask.

Please.

Propably changed yesterday. Hopefully it will have a built in multiplayer from the start so me and my serdadus can wreak havoc, provided that they won't fuck it up.

I think they mean "the PC version isn't f2p and is pay for with microtransactions" as opposed to "the game isn't a huge microtransaction thingy anymore".

I could see them try the GTA Online model where they want additional revenue so they plan on giving people the option of buying the chaos or earning it. GTA online kind of fucked that up, where you can make enough money on your own and don't need to buy it. R* has spent months trying to lower the amount of money you can earn to encourage it but I don't think they will ever get there.

I can see Avalanche trying to have this for people that might not play as much. If you only plan on playing JC3 for 10-20 hours but you still want to see some cool end-game gear then you have to pony up. I wouldn't have a huge problem with that. The issue is that everyone tries to stay away from even talking about that kind of option until it's just sprung on players close to release. If you start giving the impression that ANYTHING in this game was cut or dialed back to encourage you to spend more than it looks like shit because...well it's shit.

Shredderi

I think they mean "the PC version isn't f2p and is pay for with microtransactions" as opposed to "the game isn't a huge microtransaction thingy anymore".

I really don't know how to feel about it. You made some good points earlier about having none of the pros of a F2P and having all the cons. It's gonna depend on just how much is locked behind a paywall. If it's a game that you pay for once that has loads of great content then I might be ok with it. But if it really is just paying for a game and hiding all the remotely good content behind a paywall then fuck it. Hopefully some official clarification is on the way.

This is a game that I can see being silently neutered due to next gen console constraints.

If you are going to make this even more over top than JC2, you need crazy amounts of CPU power.

why are people commenting on the graphics of what is obviously an in-development game? moreover, why does this happen almost every single time an in-development game is shown early?

These are the same people who complain about alphas and betas that are "glorified demos" and are constantly demanding more transparency from devs and publishers during the development process.

This game was never officially confirmed? Pretty sure there's been word of this game for more than a year now.

Edit: Actually, we've known about JC3 since December 2011. Here's the GAF thread.

It's always been in a wink and nudge fashion. Avalanche has not seemed willing to admit that it exists in an official capacity. I assume they were hoping to get Mad Max out first, but of course its been delayed to have marketing cross-over with Fury Road. I think the other justification was the fact that Just Cause 2 was also long delayed, so they were hoping to avoid another extended awkward marketing cycle.

Edit: Yeah I remember this thread lol, but the info from THR was basically that they were working on a follow-up. I just make the distinction between an early report from a third party that a project is being worked on and a dev feeling ready to show what the direction of said project is.

Gamezone

Gold Member
You guys can all relax.

shinobi602 has pretty much told us that Just Cause 3 isn`t going to be a F2P game, and Christofer Sundberg made a new tweet today.

chris.png

You guys can all relax.

shinobi602 has pretty much told us that Just Cause 3 isn`t going to be a F2P game, and Christofer Sundberg made a new tweet today.

chris.png

We currently have ONE.

He doesn't really dismiss the idea of there being a SECOND F2P in their catalogue of games.

As you mentioned though, Shinobi shut down any F2P talk and I'm inclined to believe him. Still, that wording....

Gamezone

Gold Member
We currently have ONE.

He doesn't really dismiss the idea of there being a SECOND F2P in their catalogue of games.

As you mentioned though, Shinobi shut down any F2P talk and I'm inclined to believe him. Still, that wording....

Is Just Cause 3 even officially announced? He doesn`t dismiss the idea, but almost.

Top Bottom