• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Dance Sells 2 Million Copies, Becomes Fastest Selling Third Party New IP On Wii

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems Ubisoft has really got a hit on their hands here.

Gamasutra said:
Ubisoft's Wii-Exclusive Just Dance Sells 2 Million
by Kris Graft

Ubisoft's Wii-exclusive music and dancing game Just Dance has sold through over 2 million units to consumers worldwide, the publisher said Wednesday.

By reaching the milestone, Ubisoft said the game is now "the fastest-selling new intellectual property from a third-party publisher on Wii." Just Dance launched in mid-November last year and sells in the U.S. for $39.99.

The game uses licensed music to which Wii players follow on-screen dance moves using the motion-sensing Wii Remote. Just Dance, developed by Ubisoft Paris, allows up to four players to play at the same time.

Since its release the game consistently places in the UK's weekly top 10 unit sales charts and previously held the top spot for several weeks. Although launched in mid-November in the U.S., the game didn't make NPD's monthly top 10 list until January 2010 when it sold 192,000 units. The game sold even more in February, NPD reported, with 275,000 units sold. Ubisoft said the game is "on track to maintain its sales momentum for the month of March 2010."

According to U.S. retail data provided to Gamasutra by NPD Group, Just Dance is the eighth best-selling SKU so far in 2010 across all platforms. It's the fourth best-selling SKU on the Wii so far in 2010.

"The consumer response to Just Dance has been overwhelming," said Tony Key, senior VP of sales and marketing at Ubisoft, U.S. "With Just Dance's success we've seen a renewal of the music video game genre, as this is truly a game that is accessible and enjoyable for everyone."
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27890/Ubisofts_WiiExclusive_Just_Dance_Sells_2_Million.php

geeko

Has anyone on here actually played it, is it any good? I would automatically call it crap-ware but it is selling a little too well.

This game is pretty fun. I'd buy a Natal just to get a sequel with smarter tracking.
geeko420 said:
Has anyone on here actually played it, is it any good? I would automatically call it crap-ware but it is selling a little too well.
It's not good good, but it's pretty impossible not to like it. Really obvious to see why it's selling when you put it in front of more than two people.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nirolak said:
That song isn't even in the game actually. :lol
That would be like putting the Mona Lisa in a paint-by-numbers kit. You can use the name, but you cannot touch the art.

LADY GAGA :bow

Gomu Gomu

jDCuz.jpg

Trippy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cow Mengde said:
Red Steel: Just Dance
Rabids: Just Dance
Splinter Cell: Just Dance
Imaginez: Just Dance

*shudders*
They're way ahead of you.

superannuation said:
Ubisoft filed a registration for Raving Rabbids Travel in Time, which I imagine is in relation to this year’s inevitable multiplatform wagglefest. Speaking of Yves and likely multiplatform waggle, Ubisoft has also filed a registration for Dance on Broadway; I assume this is a continuation of the Just Dance franchise where I get to bust moves to “La Vie Bohème.”
Source: http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/439776440/trademark-roundup

graywolf323

Gold Member
geeko420 said:

47 on MetaCritic - http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/justdance?q=Just Dance (though it does have a 7.9/10 user score)

I like these two reviews and I think they show the different mindsets towards this game as well

Eurogamer - 7

"Plenty of people would rather sit on the sofa, thanks, and play a proper videogame with guns, and good for them. But small girls, show-offs and people who are too drunk to care in the first place will have a great time with Just Dance."

IGN - 2.0

"Do not buy this game. Do not rent this game, do not look at this game on the shelf, don’t even think about this game lest someone at Ubisoft find out and they prep a Just Dance 2. Such would be the end of all things, mark my words."

:lol :lol :lol

savor100

I've heard it's a decent game actually but since dancing it's not my thing I'll allocate my money on other games (just bought A Boy and his Blob from Amazon) :D

sphinx

the piano man
The other day I was at a Party with friends and my friend, who owns 4 controllers and has a history of doing nice Wii parties, had "Just Dance".

It is BY FAR the best party game for the Wii.

.- Everybody "plays" at the same time.
.- It is EXTREMELY easy to get into. I hope the game didn't have an instruction booklet, that would be a slap in the face.
.- The Music is not bad at all. You have Pink, Britney,etc..
.- It's pure party non-sense, just for laughing and being silly.

That being said, controls don't work and some songs will make you look VERY gay :lol :lol and from a hardcore gamer perspective, Is like the Devil. the cheapeast, no-dubget whatsoever, smelliest piece of turd on Wii.

It's like " The Producers", You try your worst and you win :lol :lol

Amir0x said:
see all you have to do is maRkeT a high quality product and the consumers will rush to buy it

i added 2 letters. if you watch nick/cartoon network you'de know. ive seen 10 commercials for this game in a few months and they actually make the game look fun

jaypah

sphinx said:
The other day I was at a Party with friends and my friend, who owns 4 controllers and has a history of doing nice Wii parties had "Just Dance".

It is BY FAR the best party game for the Wii.

.- Everybody "plays" at the same time.
.- It is EXTREMELY easy to get into. I hope the game didn't have an instruction booklet, that would be a slap in the face.
.- The Music is not bad at all. You have Pink, Britney,etc..
.- It's pure party non-sense, just for laughing and being silly.

Advice: Controls don't work and some songs will make you look VERY gay :lol :lol

i was with you until "makes you look very gay" but only because gay isn't a way to act, it's just what you are (not you you, but folks who are gay). my girl and friends would probably get a kick out of it though and i've been meaning to pick it up. thanks for the rundown.

Mjunter

It has replaced New Super Mario Bros as the demo for the Wii at my local Best Buy. I see people really having fun with it so I can't really fault the game at all.

Lijik

Cow Mengde said:
Red Steel: Just Dance
Rabids: Just Dance
Splinter Cell: Just Dance
Imaginez: Just Dance

*shudders*

Rabbids Just Dance with music from Rabbids Go Home and a trippy Rabbid silhouette doing the on screen dance moves would be a day one purchase actually.

if we just ignore that rabbids just dance technically already exists

idofriar1313 said:
:lol At first, I read that as "Just Cause 2 sells a million copies":lol :lol

:(

same here :lol

good stuff. seems like the success third parties have on the wii are exercise and little effort party games. more power to them. they finally understand the audience.

Somebody needs to make a review site where they just review games like these that mainstream reviewers will just give a low score to and not even bother trying to play.

They would need people who like playing stuff like this or it would defeat the whole point.

Danielsan

You know what.
Good on Ubisoft.
Not my type of game but it seemed very enjoyable for kids and drunken parties based on the Giant Bomb quick look.

Gattsu25

Banned
graywolf323 said:
47 on MetaCritic - http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/justdance?q=Just Dance (though it does have a 7.9/10 user score)

I like these two reviews and I think they show the different mindsets towards this game as well

Eurogamer - 7

"Plenty of people would rather sit on the sofa, thanks, and play a proper videogame with guns, and good for them. But small girls, show-offs and people who are too drunk to care in the first place will have a great time with Just Dance."

IGN - 2.0

"Do not buy this game. Do not rent this game, do not look at this game on the shelf, don’t even think about this game lest someone at Ubisoft find out and they prep a Just Dance 2. Such would be the end of all things, mark my words."

:lol :lol :lol
I love how IGN gets casual game haters to review casual games. That's like getting a football/football hater to review FIFA/Madden or a hater of good games to review UGnG in 3 different publications

Instro

perfectchaos007 said:
i added 2 letters. if you watch nick/cartoon network you'de know. ive seen 10 commercials for this game in a few months and they actually make the game look fun

Yeah ive seen a number of commercials for this game plastered all over the correct channels.

sphinx

the piano man
jaypah said:
i was with you until "makes you look very gay" but only because gay isn't a way to act, it's just what you are (not you you, but folks who are gay). my girl and friends would probably get a kick out of it though and i've been meaning to pick it up. thanks for the rundown.

hey, doesn't bother me at all, I am gay and I know for a FACT after watching other men dance to brintey's "Womanizer" that you WILL look gay dancing to it, Nothing wrong with that at all! :D

There are other songs that aren't as girly, like MC hammer's "can't touch this" and " Eye of the tiger".

Depends on what song you chose.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
April fools? I just can't tell anymore.

Kolgar

Good to see third-party success on the Wii, but I wish it happened a little more often, and also to games such as No More Heroes and Madworld.

SamBishop

Banned
sphinx said:
That being said, controls don't work and some songs will make you look VERY gay :lol :lol and from a hardcore gamer perspective, Is like the Devil. the cheapeast, no-dubget whatsoever, smelliest piece of turd on Wii.

It's like " The Producers", You try your worst and you win :lol :lol

Precisely why I gave it a 2. It's not even a game, it's a bunch of songs that play while a silhouette gyrates on screen and you flail along. You can do that with anything, and the success of this game makes me genuinely angry. What the hell is wrong with 2 million people? At least DDR was fun and had a purpose.

Gattsu25 said:
I love how IGN gets casual game haters to review casual games. That's like getting a football/football hater to review FIFA/Madden or a hater of good games to review UGnG in 3 different publications

I don't hate casual games in the least, I hate that something with almost zero effort has done well. It's bullshit; there are tons of better games on the system and something that has one mode and doesn't even respond to what you're doing and plays itself is selling better than all of them.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Mjunter said:
It has replaced New Super Mario Bros as the demo for the Wii at my local Best Buy. I see people really having fun with it so I can't really fault the game at all.

Came here to post this. Just Dance has replaced NSMBW in the "now playing" section for Wii. I saw two (rather hot) mom-looking-types walking through the gaming section saying "I hear they have it here to play!!!". I knew what they were talking about, but just to make sure I stopped to see. Sure enough they walked past Wii Sports Resort, MLB The Show, and Batman to the Just Dance demo.

They looked like they were having a blast so I was happy to see that. But WTF no Red Steel 2 demo?

P.S. This was the Westwood Village Best Buy in LA if anyone cares to play it.... :D

DMPrince said:
Activision will be joining in to make a dance game now too :lol.

It will be called Dance Hero and you'll need some kind of cheap plastic controller. I just can't think of one.

Swittcher

Banned
Not surprising, since both No More Heroes 2 and Red Steel 2's collective marketing budget doesn't even come close to Just Dance's.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If people wanted to dance like idiots, they could do this without having Just Dance at all.

This game is a turd, and it wins based on pure marketing and concept alone.

This game is encapsulates everything that is wrong with your standard Wii consumer.

Raide

SamBishop said:
Precisely why I gave it a 2. It's not even a game, it's a bunch of songs that play while a silhouette gyrates on screen and you flail along. You can do that with anything, and the success of this game makes me genuinely angry. What the hell is wrong with 2 million people? At least DDR was fun and had a purpose.

Well, I guess it boils down to people buying it because it is fun, despite it being light on gameplay. After all, people do buy games to have harmless, stress free fun right?

I just watched my 4 year old niece play it with other family members and everyone had a good laugh. Yeah people look very odd playing it but who really cares when you are laughing your head off.

Top Bottom