• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Dance Youkai Watch edition confirmed for Japanese WiiU

PsionBolt

Needs more gifs.

9txab9v.gif

0sOEuKR.gif

What a random collaboration. Just Dance WiiU bombed in Japan. Not sure I see the point but okay.

Just Dance probably doesn't require much resources, Ubisoft re-uses the game engine and only has to record new videos; maybe it was profitable. Interestingly it outsold Bayonetta 2 in Japan.

2014 sales (Media Create)
126. [WIU] Just Dance Wii U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.04.03} (¥6.156) - 63.904 / 63.904

Eila

It's too bad it's too late for the Wii. I remember the localized Just Dance games being big over there.
This could still sell well, if it's set for the holidays. Nintendo always sells consoles on that period.

Walpurgis

Banned
Yet all their ports have sold like trash with the exception of games catering to the lowest common denominator. That game is a perfect fit for Wii U alreight, because they alone control the dance game market.

You win some, you lose some. At least they try unlike other publishers. Sometimes it ends in success, sometimes in failure. Assassin's Creed: Liberation is one of the best selling titles on the Vita. On the flip side, ZombiU was a flop.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
You win some, you lose some. At least they try unlike other publishers. Sometimes it ends in success, sometimes in failure. Assassin's Creed: Liberation is one of the best selling titles on the Vita. On the flip side, ZombiU was a flop.

Liberation was technically one of the best selling games on Vita, but that has more to do with bundles and Vita software sales being fairly pitiful in the US. They clearly didn't care to do another one, so it clearly was a flop too.

jholmes

Just Dance probably doesn't require much resources, Ubisoft re-uses the game engine and only has to record new videos

Not only that, Ubisoft might see this as a Trojan horse to get a big new audience into Just Dance, and for all we know Level 5 might be thinking Yokai Watch can piggy-back on Just Dance in the West, maybe.

Seriously this sounds dumb but Japanese kids love spending money on Yokai Watch and they love that dance so I say go for it.

Takao

Banned
Liberation was technically one of the best selling games on Vita, but that has more to do with bundles and Vita software sales being fairly pitiful in the US. They clearly didn't care to do another one, so it clearly was a flop too.

A few retailers have listed Assassin's Creed Chronicles (which is the 2.5D spinoff on PS4/XB1/PC) for Vita within the last month or so. Guillemot said he was pretty happy with how Liberation sold on it.

Sterok

Haha. This is so weird that it might get me to try Just Dance if it comes to the west, and I haven't even played Yokai yet.

A few retailers have listed Assassin's Creed Chronicles (which is the 2.5D spinoff on PS4/XB1/PC) for Vita within the last month or so. Guillemot said he was pretty happy with how Liberation sold on it.

They haven't made another game of comparable scale with Vita as the lead platform, though. Just a few mostly late ports.

JoeM86

Surprised it took this long. The Yo-kai Dance is one of the things that helped propel Yo-kai Watch to popularity back in 2012.

They should cross Pokémon and Youkai Watch. I think it could work.

I don't think you understand either franchise if you think that :p

Though a fighting game of Pokémon VS Yo-kai Watch would be a laugh. Throw amiibo into it and then Nintendo and Level 5 never have to worry about money again. Though they would have to do it before the Yo-kai bubble bursts and at the rate Level 5 are milking it (far more than Pokémon ever has been), I fear it'll be sooner rather than later

Though they would have to do it before the Yo-kai bubble bursts and at the rate Level 5 are milking it (far more than Pokémon ever has been), I fear it'll be sooner rather than later
Nintendo: Was milking Yo-kai Watch to death part of your plan?
Level-5: Of course... Pokemon refused to die off, we had to find out why that was.
TPC: Nothing! I said nothing!
Nintendo: Well, congratulations! People are sick of it! Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Level-5: Crashing this IP... with no survivors!

Oregano

Surprised it took this long. The Yo-kai Dance is one of the things that helped propel Yo-kai Watch to popularity back in 2012.

I don't think you understand either franchise if you think that :p

Though a fighting game of Pokémon VS Yo-kai Watch would be a laugh. Throw amiibo into it and then Nintendo and Level 5 never have to worry about money again. Though they would have to do it before the Yo-kai bubble bursts and at the rate Level 5 are milking it (far more than Pokémon ever has been), I fear it'll be sooner rather than later

With Youkai Watch 3 being moved back I don't think that's true at all. Even if you compare it just to Pokemon this year we've had Shuffle(& Mobile), Rumble World, Super Mystery Dungeon and Pokken. We might be getting a new mainline announced soon too. That's pretty much exactly the same as YW(Busters, Three Kingdoms, Just Dance, Mobile apps).

Fisico

Not only that, Ubisoft might see this as a Trojan horse to get a big new audience into Just Dance, and for all we know Level 5 might be thinking Yokai Watch can piggy-back on Just Dance in the West, maybe.

I don't think this spin-off will ever be released in the West, unless Youkai Watch is a mega success beyond belief.
It's more like an attempt of Ubisoft to keep the Just Dance IP alive in Japan (it went from 650k to 250k and now 65k on Wii U), for Level 5 it's just easy money and brand exposure on Wii U I guess, and they have always been milking their IP so it's nothing surprising they would accept that.

With Youkai Watch 3 being moved back I don't think that's true at all. Even if you compare it just to Pokemon this year we've had Shuffle(& Mobile), Rumble World, Super Mystery Dungeon and Pokken. We might be getting a new mainline announced soon too. That's pretty much exactly the same as YW(Busters, Three Kingdoms, Just Dance, Mobile apps).
they are about to released their 3rd official sequel(not including spinoffs), 3 sequels in the span of 3 years. they need to tone it down a notch(knowing level 5 they wont)

Top Bottom