• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished RE 2 Remake

assurdum

Banned
Game was perfect until you discover the lack of the A/B scenario. It was clearly intended to be there, the police station is quite different between Leon and Claire walkthrough but they clearly rushed the development to sell it as soon as possible. That's what hurt more about this remake. Otherwise would be practically perfect.

Neff

I mean, what's to like so much?

Great graphics, great atmosphere, an interesting and alternate fresh take on a classic, new puzzles, new areas...

it has its faults, but overall the pluses far outweigh the negatives, and I enjoyed it very much. But yeah, the original destroys it.

If they'd given it a fixed camera mode and beefier B scenarios, it could easily have been on par with REmake.

RE6 had more action and was more enjoyable imo

6 is definitely the better game.

Last edited:

Forsythia

Game was perfect until you discover the lack of the A/B scenario. It was clearly intended to be there, the police station is quite different between Leon and Claire walkthrough but they clearly rushed the development to sell it as soon as possible. That's what hurt more about this remake. Otherwise would be practically perfect.
I agree, that was the only flaw. Still a fantastic game. But it ruined the RE3 remake, as we expected a beefed up Mr X but we all know how that ended.

SkylineRKR

RE2R is a fantastic game that simply doesn't 1:1 copy the original for better and worse. But overall I rather replay remake than the original game. The biggest offender are the B scenarios which were an afterthought and explains why Mr.X already appeared in A.

As for Nemesis, hes rather true to his original incarnation, appearing at a few fixed spots during the first half and then shows up as a repeated boss encounter. The difference is that you can't down him permanently, he'll only go if you trigger a new scene.

regawdless

Banned
Office Space No GIF

Great game. Amazing Design. Your wrong.

Ellery

I see it very differently. I think it was an amazing game that did many things right (obviously not all of them, but what game does) and I had a blast playing through it 4 times.

A friend of mine who never played RE2 before also loved it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
This is one of those threads where there are so many things to address that you don't know where to start, and it might as well be a troll post for all the sense it makes.

SuperGooey

I love it for it's amazing pacing (which leads to incredible replay value), great game feel (controlling your character has weight, and even menu-ing feels satisfying), the enemies are great, and the level design is INCREDIBLE (especially in the RPD) with backtracking that feels rewarding.

I'd say the RE2 Remake could have been better with a stronger soundtrack, better B Scenarios, and a stronger art direction (RE3 Remake excelled in this area). But overall, RE2 Remake is my favorite game of last gen and possibly my favorite RE game to replay (though, I think REmake and RE4 are overall better games).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
RE2 resonated with a lot of people, I also finished it my LTTP here and was expecting a promise to AAA horror (from the hype) and got a classic horror experience but not the masterpiece fans promised.
It’s a good horror game, Leon is a great hero but no, hardcore fans overrate it.

Sygma

So I've just finished playing RE 2 Remake and let me tell you, it's really overrated. I mean, what's to like so much? The game is just RE2 from another perspective. There's nothing mind-blowing about this game, it feels like you're just playing the N64 version. The graphics are ok, but I don't know, the whole time I was playing it felt meh.

There's no twist, no expanded story, boss fights are horrible and the nostalgia just fells off right from. The start when you look at the disgusting character designs.

I don't know why people think this was a great game, I'll rather play the original 10 times over. Good thing I didn't bought RE 3, because if this was praised and that was panned then that game must be horrible.

Never played the original and to me RE 2 was the definition of overhyped too yeah. Graphics were nice, everything else sucked. Zero depth of gameplay, zero scary moments either. There are some games that I just will never get the "it" factor and its definitely one of them. Doesn't mean the game is bad, just that the experience simply didn't click at all. Conversely I had a total blast with RE 7 VR. REmake 1 is still the best game in the whole series

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Is this thread the result of nostalgia? Is it the result of trolling? Or is it the result of someone who's only played high rated games, thus they think this game is bad and they don't realize how horrible games can truly get?

Shubh_C63

I also just finished Re3 minutes ago. Tell you what, the 6 hours game length didn't bothered me at all. I like games that I can complete in one sitting.

Is there any indication we will get more RE games like these ? (compared to recent releases like RE7 and Village).

Fredrik

uh oh. that's hot af
Google and you’ll find more my friend! I’ve seen Dante, Nico, Snake, Tifa, all kinds of costumes, body shapes, different hairstyles, beard. It’s pretty insane to be honest. I think mods should be the first thing people mention when trying to sell someone on PC gaming, just jumped into Skyrim VR and started modding it and it’s insane what people can do when their creativity isn’t held back.

Last edited:
Definitely overrated, but still a hell of a game that's worth playing.

I think the police department is God-tier but the quality (in terms of atmosphere and pacing) really plummets once you leave.

I'd give it an 8/10 or so, great game but not one of my GOATs or anything.
This is pretty much how I feel. The sewer and lab areas weren't terrible, just no where near as good as the RCPD. It's almost like they spent the vast majority of their dev time working on that and the cobbled the rest together.

Never played the original and to me RE 2 was the definition of overhyped too yeah. Graphics were nice, everything else sucked. Zero depth of gameplay, zero scary moments either. There are some games that I just will never get the "it" factor and its definitely one of them. Doesn't mean the game is bad, just that the experience simply didn't click at all. Conversely I had a total blast with RE 7 VR. REmake 1 is still the best game in the whole series
Oh, I actually forgot to mention that part. There were no scares in the whole game lol. It's just over hyped by the fans, it didn't click because it's an average game.

Probably not fair to compare it to TLOU2, so much attention to detail in that game it isn't funny
That's why I'm saying the graphics are ok, but TLOU2 spoiled everything else for me. There were times were it looked so photorealistic it was mind-blowing.

MarkyG

Harsh critique. Not sure if trolling on certain aspects as it's clearly night and day between OG and remake. Here are some of my own thoughts on the game:

I prefer the remake's visuals to the OG. There's much more atmosphere. This is a given considering the leaps and bounds in technology. Lighting (or lack thereof) is put to very good use. Makes the game feel tense.
Character designs are based off the originals so not sure what's so 'disgusting' about them. They just have much more detail now. Care to elaborate?
Going from classic fixed camera angles to over the shoulder was always a hot topic with purists of the game. However, Capcom did develop and test this and they felt it wasn't suitable. There's some footage of alpha testing of it on YouTube somewhere.
The story is essentially the same as OG. Scenario A/B were toned down somewhat though. I appreciate the extra game modes after you finish the game as well.

REmake 3 is a worse game in my opinion. Way too much cut content and criminally short. It did play well though if you can look beyond the god-awful cheesefest that is Nemesis.

Just my opinions though. ;)

Madflavor

Should be called remaster
The game was rebuilt from the ground up with a new engine, new gameplay mechanics, new voice cast, new and updated music, and graphics that were three generations apart. How does that not qualify as a Remake?

At first this seemed like a case of someone just having a different opinion and the game not being his cup of tea, but now it’s clear that a lot of your dislike of the game originates from a place of you not knowing what the fuck you’re talking about.

Spaceman292

Banned
So I've just finished playing RE 2 Remake and let me tell you, it's really overrated. I mean, what's to like so much? The game is just RE2 from another perspective. There's nothing mind-blowing about this game, it feels like you're just playing the N64 version. The graphics are ok, but I don't know, the whole time I was playing it felt meh.

There's no twist, no expanded story, boss fights are horrible and the nostalgia just fells off right from. The start when you look at the disgusting character designs.

I don't know why people think this was a great game, I'll rather play the original 10 times over. Good thing I didn't bought RE 3, because if this was praised and that was panned then that game must be horrible.
Did you have a stroke recently and forget what PS1 games looked like?

Way to make every good point you could have made irrelevant with a single sentence.
This right here. I can respect someone's opinion, but saying something like "It's like playing the N64 version" borders on hot garbage and destroys any respectability the OP's opinion may have had. (Not that it had much to begin with, honestly.)

This is one of those threads where there are so many things to address that you don't know where to start, and it might as well be a troll post for all the sense it makes.
Correct.

On a broader level, it's a phenomenon of internet forums:
  1. Ideas are expressed poorly
  2. emotion wins over reason/analysis
  3. hyperbole is the name of the game
The OP meets all 3 of those criteria.

What's to like about this game, OP asks? Well, a 1998 classic has been changed to:
  • Modernize gameplay: As amazing as the original 1998 is (to this day), the gameplay is arguably outdated.
    • Modern over-the-shoulder camera with great view. As stated by the original game designers, the fixed camera was not their choice and was mostly a technology limitation. After having 6 mainline entries (1, 2, 3, CV, Remake, and 0) with fixed camera, it was time to move on. Whether the haters acknowledge it or not, RE4 (over-the-shoulder) saved the series.
    • Modern aiming and shooting. As a huge fan of the original fixed-camera games (RE2 original is one of my favorite games of all time. See: my avatar), you probably don't want to "free aim" -- it's an absolute nightmare, it does not feel good. And I would argue that the free aim, while bad in 1 through CV, actually takes a step back with Remake and 0. Completing "True Survival" in Remake was one of my least pleasant experiences due to the clunkiness of the free aim.
    • Weapons and feedback: All weapons in RE2 remake are an improvement over the weapons in the classic games (with some minor exceptions). The weapons here feel really good to use, including Leon's shotgun and (especially) Claire's Grenade Launcher.
    • Movement/traversal: Although I'm personally a big fan of the "tank controls" of the past, they probably wouldn't fly with most gamers in this day and age. Moving here feels really good, and attention was paid to Leon's and Claire's weight, handling, etc.
  • Modernize graphics: I don't know what game the OP played, but the "Resident Evil 2" (2019) that I played looks fantastic. This is the best Leon and (again, especially) Claire have ever looked. I know neo-Claire gets some hate around parts of the internet, but she looks great. (Although admittedly, she does have a bit of a creepy, borderline "Mass Effect Andromeda meets the Joker" look in a couple of cases, but it's very limited to a couple of scenes). Their looks have been modernized: Leon's police uniform (before and after the gunshot wound) look great, and Claire (and even Sherry!) look great, too. Like the 1998 look more? Well... the game gives you the option to use the 1998 outfits for both characters! (And I mean the "wearing the old outfit with modern graphics" thing, not the literal 1998 models in the game). Zombies look great. All versions of Birkin look fantastic and better than the original. Mr. X (both standard and "final boss" form) also look great. Fuck... everyone looks great here, including secondary characters (Ada, Annette, Sherry, Chief Irons, Ben, Marvin, etc...)
    • Locations: The Remake version of the RPD is a sight to behold, but the real shining star is the remade lab ("NEST" as it's known in this game).
  • Modernize voice acting and script: Voice acting here is absolutely fantastic and is better than the 1998 original. Fantastic job by everyone. Dialogue is a bit more natural and less dorky/campy than the original game. (Although admittedly the "campy dialogue" is part of the original's charm.)
  • Great boss battles: Again, huge fan of the 1998 original here. But the boss battles aren't great in that game. Most boss battles consist of: Run to some safe distance away from the boss -> shoot -> win. (The only boss that doesn't fully apply to in the original game is the final Mr. X). In this Remake, bosses at least involve some form of strategy, especially the final bosses (G4 Birkin for Claire, and final Mr. X for Leon). G3 Birkin is one of the best Resident Evil boss fights I've experienced in a while. I'd say G1 Birkin also involves some strategy for new players, but once you find out about the knife... yea....
  • Fun extras: Hunk and Tofu come back with a vengeance (the gameplay and, my god, those soundtracks for both of them...). Tofu even got expanded with extra Tofu characters. The 4 extra "ghost survivors" campaigns. The costumes. Etc...

But the game is not without blemishes. It has less puzzles (and less interesting puzzles) than the original game. The story has some serious inconsistencies. The B scenarios might as well not exist. Those are valid criticisms and you'd get no pushback from me on those.

But in general, as someone in this thread already said, do the positives far outweigh the negatives? In my opinion, yes.

Now, one argument I would make (and would be ready to defend) is that, as much as I absolutely love and adore the Remake of 1, in some key ways, that game is overrated.

100% agree. Thats what made me disappointed in a rather almost perfect RE game. Feels 70% complete the game as a whole.

Definitely lacks the atmosphere of the original. New soundtrack is also garbage. I still prefer the original even though I liked the remake for what it was.

New soundtrack is also garbage.
"Garbage" is a bit hyperbolic, but otherwise this is a reasonable criticism, and I agree with the general sentiment. OG soundtrack had more memorable tunes in more places. They tried to go with an ambient/atmospheric soundtrack in the Remake and I think it misses the mark.

There are a handful of decent tunes though:
  • Birkin G3 boss fight
  • Mr. X final boss fight
  • Birkin G4 boss fight
  • Lab escape themes (both Leon's and Claire's)
  • And of course, tracks for the campaigns of both HUNK and Tofu
But yea, that's slim pickings compared to the original, where arguably the ENTIRE soundtrack was memorable and fantastic.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No, that game kept me on my seat.for 40 hour. One of the best games I've ever played.

And if you're gonna start with the bad writing claims, I don't think you should use RE2 as an example.of good writing lmao. The story of this game is so lazy.
I think I gave up after 6 hours, I think 🤔
Something else came out and I played that instead and never returned to it.
Each to their own I guess..

I agree. It is REALLY well made. But the action is boring, character movement is as tank-like as the original and slow. I honestly enjoyed more the 4th Survivor missions, more engaging with the fast pace and very limited resources.

Top Bottom