• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished RE 2 Remake

Did you have a stroke recently and forget what PS1 games looked like?
Yeah but the thing is RE2 had fixed backgrounds and cutscenes that gave you a good picture of what the devs were trying to show. This is the same but with better graphics and a another camera. Seriously, there's nothing new about it.

Compare this to FFVII Remake or even we can go back as far as MGS: Twin Snakes. Now that were remakes, not this bs.

It seems the team were just copy pasting and updating.

Valt7786

Yeah but the thing is RE2 had fixed backgrounds and cutscenes that gave you a good picture of what the devs were trying to show. This is the same but with better graphics and a another camera. Seriously, there's nothing new about it.

Compare this to FFVII Remake or even we can go back as far as MGS: Twin Snakes. Now that were remakes, not this bs.

lolwot? You could use that VERY same argument against FF7 Remake, which is nearly as, if not as awesome as RE2-remake is.

It may be the team was doing just that, because thats what fans were asking for. If they changed too much, they risked a massive backlash. See Resident Evil 3 remake.

RE 2 is the PERFECT Example of what a modern remake should be, other than the small amount of content they didn't put in and the butchered B scenarios. Everything else about it is a masterpiece.

Mabdia

There's no twist, no expanded story, boss fights are horrible and the nostalgia just fells off right from. The start when you look at the disgusting character designs.

Well... Thank God for that. Can you imagine, Op, how the game could be worse if they expanded the story?

Damn! They don't even have the capacity to follow the continuity of the original!

My only problem with RE2r was the continuity that makes the Act B really worthless. Claire and Leon shouldn't face the same bosses. Also, the worst thing that we had in this games are the boss battle. The bosses are there just to force you to waste bullets that you might saved for future encounters. That sucks to me. And Mr. X really sucks to me. He is annoying and that's all.

I really loved the game for what it is. It is not a remake, to me. It is a reboot. They changed a lot of things that was better and worse on the original. Yet, they respected the source material.

We live in a world where the last good Resident Evil was Resident Evil Code Veronica/REmake. Don't get me wrong, RE4 and 4 were really good games. But as Resident Evil, to me, both sucks. If the game was told in a coherent way, RE2r could be the best game of the series. But they failed a it. Yet it is a special game based on a really special game.

A few weeks ago I played the original and man... It still is the best of the RE franchise.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So I've just finished playing RE 2 Remake and let me tell you, it's really overrated. I mean, what's to like so much? The game is just RE2 from another perspective. There's nothing mind-blowing about this game, it feels like you're just playing the N64 version. The graphics are ok, but I don't know, the whole time I was playing it felt meh.

There's no twist, no expanded story, boss fights are horrible and the nostalgia just fells off right from. The start when you look at the disgusting character designs.

I don't know why people think this was a great game, I'll rather play the original 10 times over. Good thing I didn't bought RE 3, because if this was praised and that was panned then that game must be horrible.

Yeah it was great on PS1. The remake is better but brought most of the negatives. The "barely" jogging mechanism is just pure trash.

lolwot? You could use that VERY same argument against FF7 Remake, which is nearly as, if not as awesome as RE2-remake is.

It may be the team was doing just that, because thats what fans were asking for. If they changed too much, they risked a massive backlash. See Resident Evil 3 remake.

RE 2 is the PERFECT Example of what a modern remake should be, other than the small amount of content they didn't put in and the butchered B scenarios. Everything else about it is a masterpiece.
Is not about changing, is about adding. Add something new, develop the story a little further, put more cutscenes, make the station bigger, put new sections in.

FFVII managed to do a 40 hour game of what was 4 to 5 hours of the original.

I can finish RE2 on PS 1 and RE2 remake in the same amount of time. That tells you a lot about how much work were out into this remake.

assurdum

Banned
6 is definitely the better game.
family guy vomit GIF

Last edited:

Valt7786

Is not about changing, is about adding. Add something new, develop the story a little further, put more cutscenes, make the station bigger, put new sections in.

I can finish RE2 on PS 1 and RE2 remake in the same amount of time. That tells you a lot about how much work were out into this remake.
Yeah, FF 7 did, but other than 1 chapter about Jessie, inane sidequests in chapter 3 in the slums and the shit Leslie filler bit and spoopy ghosts, how much did they actually ADD to pad out those 40 hours? The story was 99% the same until the very end.

Roni

Gold Member
Should be called remaster
a remaster is what they did to Zero and Remake to last gen and PC. Remake is what they did to 1 in the GameCube.

2 Remake is much closer to the latter than the former, that's why it's called a remake.

Last edited:

Mabdia

You're saying that the reboot of FFVII is better or worse?

Serious question. I mean, take 5 hours of an amazing game and change it to 40 hours, you have to add a lot of unnecessary fat to it.

If they manage to make all like the original, at least we could have a complete product for U$60. Now, instead, anyone who want to play the full game will pay on the best case scenario: U$180, on the worst, U$200...

The best thing about RE2r is how it really makes you remember how good the original was.

Now, talking about FFVII, the new one is so boring that even "for free" at PS+, I tried to play it, but I couldn't. That is way too different and aside of being a hack'n'slash with FF skins, it just don't remember me of anything that makes the original so special.

Meanwhile, RE2r can do that, despite changing the camera scheme, they managed to make this game feels like the original RE2(I don't know anything about game development, but I guess that this is really, really hard to achieve).

Spaceman292

Banned

You sound like a very confused person.

Yeah, FF 7 did, but other than 1 chapter about Jessie, inane sidequests in chapter 3 in the slums and the shit Leslie filler bit and spoopy ghosts, how much did they actually ADD to pad out those 40 hours? The story was 99% the same until the very end.
They added 35 hours.

Komatsu

Should be called remaster

Um, no?

The game was entirely remade from the ground-up. Besides the setting and some of the boss fights, it's an entirely different game from the old, fixed-perspective RE2 with prerendered backgrounds.

In my opinion it's probably the greatest RE of all. A true return to form for the franchise, which Capcom now squandered by coming out with another first-person shooter like RE7, this time with werewolves and vampires.

So I've just finished playing RE 2 Remake and let me tell you, it's really overrated. I mean, what's to like so much? The game is just RE2 from another perspective. There's nothing mind-blowing about this game, it feels like you're just playing the N64 version. The graphics are ok, but I don't know, the whole time I was playing it felt meh.

I don't know why people think this was a great game, I'll rather play the original 10 times over. Good thing I didn't bought RE 3, because if this was praised and that was panned then that game must be horrible.
You bought a remake expecting something "mind-blowing"... go outside.

Um, no?

The game was entirely remade from the ground-up. Besides the setting and some of the boss fights, it's an entirely different game from the old, fixed-perspective RE2 with prerendered backgrounds.

In my opinion it's probably the greatest RE of all. A true return to form for the franchise, which Capcom now squandered by coming out with another first-person shooter like RE7, this time with werewolves and vampires.
Omg the hyperbole. Let me tell you the games that are better than this. Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil VII and obviously Resident Evil 4.

MiguelItUp

You're entitled to your own opinion OP. Nothing wrong with that. But I certainly don't agree with it, and I think I'm not alone in that.

To me, RE2 was one of the best remakes we've had in a long time. Hell, it was one of the best remakes we've had, period. It's a new take for RE2, but also extremely faithful to the original, while being beautiful AF. Personally I think the RE engine is one of the best looking and performing current engines, hands down.

I'm not sure why you're so incredibly negative towards it. I feel that you're being excessively harsh, and it's undeserving. But again, to each their own.

Miles708

Welcome to Survival Horror.
It's just that I don't understand if it's correct that every zombie takes 7-8 head shots to kill. In which case, am i supposed to run around like a maniac when out of ammo?

I admit I'm not fully understanding the game. There must be a more efficient way to play.

Last edited:
RE2 Remake is probably the golden standard when it comes to remakes. It certainly isn't perfect, but it sure does come close. So not sure what game OP played, but he must be confused with something else.

Last edited:
If you didn't played the original then obviously you were going to like the remake. The problem is they didn't add anything really.

Why does it need to add anything? Besides...as a remake it already changed things from the original.
I get that it is not your cup of tea. For me the game is perfect. Way better than another "i dont like game" thread. Inform yourself about the game you are going to buy / rent / play. :)

Last edited:
RE2 original and REmake are great. The original does the A/B stories much better, but the remake makes the Sewer section a lot better.

Also “disgusting character designs”?
DGRbG5H.jpg

Ada is a snack and a half in this game and all the other characters look great too. Maybe Claire looks a little off, but she ain’t no Tobey Maguire from Rev2.

Roni

Gold Member
It's just that I don't understand if it's correct that every zombie takes 7-8 head shots to kill. In which case, am i supposed to run around like a maniac when out of ammo?

I admit I'm not fully understanding the game. There must be a more efficient way to play.
Don't engage enemies every time... Save your resources for when you absolutely need them: boss fights.

Orpheum

I also recently finished it and thought it was simply amazing. Great visuals, gameplay flow, atmosphere... in general just a great remake. Currently i'm playing Leon B because i squeezed RE3make in between after i finished it.

Now RE3 remake is a different story...granted it's a good game but a really disappointing remake of a classic. Way too many parts cut out and overall too short without any replay value. The dodge move was great though, wish they would have implemented it in RE2make as well

Davey Cakes

I finally got around to playing it recently too. Finished the Claire first run a couple of weeks ago and started Leon second run.

Actually, I was surprised by how much I liked it. REmake 2 is basically the Resident Evil we should have gotten after RE4, before the series went on a decade long tangent into ridiculousness.

Mr. X was the most annoying aspect. Thankfully he's not around forever because his presence turns the game on its head in ways that I both love and hate at the same time.

I'm playing this right now and I'm constantly out of ammo and this is getting on my nervers greatly.
Playing on Standard? It starts off pretty tough with the ammo but gets generous later on. I think REmake 2 has some challenging zombie encounters that make you burn through ammo in ways that you wouldn't have to in the original. Lickers are formidable foes as well. I think if you conserve you'll eventually have a surplus.

It reminded me of my Chris/Mountain Climbing run in the original REmake on Gamecube. Made me feel a bit strangled at the beginning but by the end I had tons of health and ammo.

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
For me this is the best RE game and my most played.

I do wish from the original they had added more content. Heck even paid DLC for a path C for both characters would've been sick.

For me it's a 10/10 though. I keep going back to it and want to try speed running it as my first speed run ever.

I do wish from the original they had added more content. Heck even paid DLC for a path C for both characters would've been sick.

For me it's a 10/10 though. I keep going back to it and want to try speed running it as my first speed run ever.
Yep 10/10 for me too , it's up there with ReRemake as my favorite Re game.

Astral Dog

What is wrong with you the character designs are amazing

But i agree REmake 2 is overrated, its biggest strenght is the great level design and graphics,but soundtrack, B scenario falls apart and it feels a little bland and too 'safe'

Still a solid 8

Jokerevo

Banned

4 was my fave but I get it. Having just recently finished this too it brought all my memories back of the original. The atmosphere with updated visuals and surround sound is out of this world man. I'm replaying all of the next RE's as a result and just hope 4 is remade soon.

Miles708

That's the whole point :D You're supposed to be deciding when to engage and when not to.

If you want more ammo and action play RES 6.
I just wished that a well trained cop would be less useless without a gun, lol.
I guess I'll appreciate RE3 remake more.

SkylineRKR

RE2R is so much better than 4 for me.

It has zombies, and dangerous ones at that who keep attacking you even if you shoot off their limbs. The setting is classic RE, and perfect. Ada is still cool, not that cocky bitch from RE4. Leon is more oblivious and green, and I like him more as well. I like the ammo management, every insta headshot is a bonus.

Top Bottom