• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished RE 2 Remake

Birdo

Banned
I recently tried Remake.

I ran out of ammo after having to mag-dump into a Zombie's head. Then my knife broke, leaving me in a room with two Zombies and no way of defending myself because Leon doesn't learn how to kick until he gets older. 5/10.

tkscz

While I enjoyed it, I can understand enjoying the original more.

Especially in terms of replayablity.

The old one gave you two completely different stories depending on who you played first, Leon or Clair and then vise versa. The new one gives you some slight differences, but not enough that makes it worth going back through the game again.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's a great compliment to the original, because it plays things quite differently, while still giving you an awesome dose of nostalgia.

As for what I like about it: the atmosphere, level design, pacing, and combat encounters. The zombies are a blast to fight, given how they react to bullets.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

I’m slightly confused about the complaints about the B scenarios.

I’m playing the second run of RE2R as Leon and it’s radically different than the Claire first run.

Are people just saying that, for example, Claire A and Claire B aren’t much different from each other? Because I did Claire A and I’m working on Leon B and it’s an entirely different experience. Like, the Ada portion alone sets it apart from my first play through.

Last edited:

Phase

game is way overrated yes..i agree...3 was shit. first person is where re series need to keep going.
Completely disagree (except for 3, poor game imo). The gameplay feels modern but still familiar with the RE2 Remake. The first-person RE's feel like an entirely different game. Some may enjoy it, but they don't feel like RE to me.

Fredrik

It was GAF’s and RE’s GOTY in 2019, I find it rather funny that people are now trying to turn it into a bad game all of a sudden. If gotypicks can be trusted it actually got more GOTY awards by critics than any other game that year.

It was GAF’s and RE’s GOTY in 2019, I find it rather funny that people are now trying to turn it into a bad game all of a sudden. If gotypicks can be trusted it actually got more GOTY awards by critics than any other game that year.
As it deserved. It was also (easily) my Game of the Year for that year.

My Steam log shows 128 hours (!!!) for that game. And I loved every single minute of it.

Completely disagree (except for 3, poor game imo). The gameplay feels modern but still familiar with the RE2 Remake. The first-person RE's feel like an entirely different game. Some may enjoy it, but they don't feel like RE to me.
I thought I would hate RE in FPS but after playing 7 and 8 it's amazing to me and I actually prefer it. But I can also understand how others would rather have 3rd person. Personally, I do not mind either, but I like FPS better if I could only have 1 or the other. Game core mechanics are still same in both type of REs. Run around the world, find keys, unlock doors, solve puzzles, get shortcuts, kill enemies, run, escape and so on. But the view does change a lot, I feel that for horror game FPS is always scarier because your watching it through the characters eyes as opposed too seeing more of the world over their shoulder. I loved RE2 Remake, got all achievements on it, amazing game in its own way.

rofif

Banned
game is way overrated yes..i agree...3 was shit. first person is where re series need to keep going.
I am conflicted. I enjoyed re7 and 8 but I also think that first person limits player body awarness in some way and makes the game more clunky.
Normally You know where you are in space and are aware of your surroundings. 3rd person is a way to cheat that over since You cannot have the "feeling" of body and environment in a game if that makes any sense ;P
Kinda similary why 1st person racing is much more difficult and constraining that driving a car in reality or even in vr. You normally feel the car, know where it's boundaries are, rocks on the road etc etc.

So while I like fps, 3rd person is not entirely out of merit and I tihnk Re2 is better for it

One of my favorite games in recent years, it nailed combining enough of the classic RE conventions with not too many modern conventions.

Only game I've played more than twice in I don't even know how long.

I like RE3 remake better than most save for the lame hospital level, it should have been more based on the original.

it nailed combining enough of the classic RE conventions with not too many modern conventions.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I lIke RE3 remake better than most save for the lame hospital level, it should have been more based on the original.
I'm probably one of the biggest RE3 Remake supporters on this forum, lol. So I feel you.

Regarding the hospital, it's superior to the original in every way EXCEPT the "RE4 cabin" section. A small blemish on what is otherwise a perfect reimagining of the original hospital.

RE2make is one of the best gaming experiences of all time.
8d4.gif

K' Dash

I recently tried Remake.

I ran out of ammo after having to mag-dump into a Zombie's head. Then my knife broke, leaving me in a room with two Zombies and no way of defending myself because Leon doesn't learn how to kick until he gets older. 5/10.

You really do suck at survival horror dude, you're not supposed to kill everything in sight, you're supposed to run whenever you can and only engage when there's no other way.

I recently tried Remake.

You really do suck at survival horror dude, you're not supposed to kill everything in sight, you're supposed to run whenever you can and only engage when there's no other way.

Yeah, to the point that K K' Dash is talking about -- it's blatant that you're not supposed to kill everything. I mean, the game even tells you, explicitly.

When you first run into Marvin and he gives you the knife, he says something along the lines of,

"If you see one of those things, uniform or not, you take it out... or you run."

He's literally telling you, fight or flight. It's the game's way of telling you, that you're not supposed to kill everything... Hell, you don't have enough ammo early on to kill everything. Movement is as important (maybe more important) of a skill set as combat.

Davey Cakes

TBH this is easier to do in REmake than in RE2 Remake. The zombies are more aggressive in RE2 Remake and they're always exactly in the spot that you need to run by.

SkylineRKR

You're supposed to down them quickly and then run. But in general there is enough ammo to clean everything. Look hard, create it.

Soodanim

2R is a good time to learn the Sunk Cost Fallacy: you don’t need to commit to killing an enemy just because you put a bullet or two in one.

Sometimes it’s easier in hindsight, but I think the point of that initial lone zombie in the intro is to show how many bullets it takes to down a zombie for good.

The better option is to stun them. Traditionally a head shot is the way to go, and here there’s a chance of an instant kill which is particularly nice for your ammo count. But there’s a downside, and that’s how erratic the zombie movement can be. An easier target is the legs, and there’s a better stun to be had from aiming there before taking the opportunity to run past.

Either way, the 1-3 shots for a stun is much more cost effective than ~15 to kill, and the risk taken by downing but not killing is a big one. When one of those surprises you by climbing up your leg and chews your face, you’re going to wish you just stunned it and ran past.

Or that you had a shotgun. Boom, headshot.

TMLT

I slightly prefer the original overall but RE2make is still a top 5 level Resi game, and it does a fair few things better than the original too. Its a much scarier game for one because of the better visuals, the use of darkness, less cheesy voice acting and enemies being much more dangerous. Mr X is better in the remake too although I wish he wouldnt already appear on your first playthrough.

The B scenario stuff was poorly done admittedly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom