• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Just got my second shot of the PFE vaccine. Ask me anything

Mar 23, 2013
Just woke up. Have a pretty bad ache ache and chills. My forehead feels hot. Don’t wanna get up and look for the thermometer. Just wanna lay in bed right now.

feel like a train hit me

IFireflyl

Aug 22, 2020
So it's just not known whether it prevents transmission or not. There's no evidence one way or the other.

What vaccine in the past has prevented infection but not transmission?

Surely there must be a historical basis for thinking transmission may still be possible.

Prior to COVID, if we signed a declination form for the influenza vaccine, you're required to wear a mask at all times in the hospital. If you receive the vaccine however, you do not have to wear a mask.

So the flu shot, likely the most administered vaccine in the world, prevents transmission.

If you get the flu shot (vaccine) you can still transmit the flu. Asymptomatic spread is still a thing, and you can contract the flu even with the vaccine. The vaccine only helps your body fight the infection. It doesn't prevent you from transmitting the flu virus. I imagine the transmission rate would be lower since your body is riding itself of the flu virus faster than it would without the vaccine, but that claim has never (at least to my knowledge) been proven.

I'm not sure where you get your information that the flu vaccine prevents transmission, but I would love to hear a source for it. I have never heard a medical expert make that claim alongside a study that corroborates the claim.

clem84

Dec 11, 2011
Got my 1st dose on 12/22/2020 and just got my second dose 1/12/2021 at 6:35pm eastern standard time.

felt fine after the first shot, other than a sore arm for a few days. More sore than any other vaccine I’ve gotten that I remember.
Feel fine so far after the second shot.
How long did it take you to type that message? :messenger_grinning:

TriSuit666

Jul 2, 2018
Got my 1st dose on 12/22/2020 and just got my second dose 1/12/2021 at 6:35pm eastern standard time.

felt fine after the first shot, other than a sore arm for a few days. More sore than any other vaccine I’ve gotten that I remember.
Feel fine so far after the second shot.
Rookie mistake. Most medical professionals I know who've had it, have taken paracetamol beforehand to cope with any side-effects (most commonly the headache).

TriSuit666

Jul 2, 2018
So it's just not known whether it prevents transmission or not. There's no evidence one way or the other.

What vaccine in the past has prevented infection but not transmission?

Surely there must be a historical basis for thinking transmission may still be possible.

Prior to COVID, if we signed a declination form for the influenza vaccine, you're required to wear a mask at all times in the hospital. If you receive the vaccine however, you do not have to wear a mask.

So the flu shot, likely the most administered vaccine in the world, prevents transmission.
That's.... not how a flu innoculation works.

And completely different mechanism to the covid-19 vaccine/innoculation.

Singular7

Jan 9, 2018
I would go with Pfizer. American company with a long track record. I own shares in the company and probably will forever.

Honestly, never heard of Moderna before the pandemic started. Not sure what other drugs they have gotten approved before .

Though both vaccines have the same mechanism of action so you probably can't go wrong with either one.

I own PFE as well -- stuck at $37 for too long :)

Not selling though.

Glad you got the shot!

squallheart

Dec 16, 2013
This is a good read. My job says we're next in line for the vaccine but I'm like hesitant. Whats funny yesterday I tested positive for civid so I'm like do I even need it 😅