• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just how bad is Uplay?

I bought Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory ages ago and can't for the life of me remember where or whether it was a physical or digital copy. Only thing I'm sure of is that it wasn't from Steam.

Fast-forward to now, and the game costs $9.99 on Steam. Thing is, I want to buy it again for myself and gift a copy to a friend so we can do some co-op.

However, on Humble Bundle it's in sale for $2.99, with the huge caveat that it's for Uplay, not Steam. We both have Watch_Dogs so we already have the service forcibly installed, but apart from that game (which we won't play for much longer), I can't think of any other Ubisoft game that we would purchase in the foreseeable future - apart from SC:CT.

So, how bad is Uplay really? Is it so bad and intrusive that I should wait for a Steam sale, or should I just go for the Uplay version?

Any feedback and firsthand experiences welcome, thanks!

arvz

Neo Member
It's really not that big of a deal, it's not Steam but it does the job just fine.

However if the difference isn't that much (what only $7 difference right?) I personally would just get it on Steam

Valdega

I bought Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory ages ago and can't for the life of me remember where or whether it was a physical or digital copy. Only thing I'm sure of is that it wasn't from Steam.

Fast-forward to now, and the game costs $9.99 on Steam. Thing is, I want to buy it again for myself and gift a copy to a friend so we can do some co-op.

However, on Humble Bundle it's in sale for $2.99, with the huge caveat that it's for Uplay, not Steam. We both have Watch_Dogs so we already have the service forcibly installed, but apart from that game (which we won't play for much longer), I can't think of any other Ubisoft game that we would purchase in the foreseeable future - apart from SC:CT.

So, how bad is Uplay really? Is it so bad and intrusive that I should wait for a Steam sale, or should I just go for the Uplay version?

Any feedback and firsthand experiences welcome, thanks!

Uplay isn't that bad. It's not that great either but it gets the job done (i.e. it lets you play your games with minimal fuss). For modern Ubisoft games, Uplay is required even if you buy the game on Steam and you already have it installed. Also, you really should pick up SC: Blacklist. It's my second favorite SC (behind CT) and probably holds up a lot better in terms of controls and UI. It also has a set of co-op missions.

Pjsprojects

Its my most used client and never had a problem.
Just some outdated stigma attached to it. The current bad one has to be Windows store!

TaurezAG

I find Uplay just fine. I use it all the time for Siege. But then, I never understood the hate any client that is not Steam gets. Except Windows Store. Uplay also lets you discover existing game files with minimal fuss. It's one thing that Uplay does better than the other clients.

bati

It's fine, I own several Ubi games that I bought through Steam and never had issues with Steam<->Uplay integration. You barely notice it, really.

120v

it's not a nuisance at all, honestly. they throw in free games now and then and "ubi points" or whatever they're called to make up for any "hassle"

Last edited:

Strazyplus

Competition is great for us however some will only want steam, I view Uplay in the state where Origin started as just a means to separate themselves from steam via business decision, not one for improving customer experience. With that reasons why people dislike it and view it as a waste of hard-drive space. meanwhile, although origin did the same thing they are disliked less because they actually did improve the experience on their platform over time to a point where "everyone*" agreed theirs was better than steam support by large amounts. Is Uplay worthy being on my computer? no is origin no. that's why the moment I am not playing their games their platform is removed meanwhile I have GOG galaxy installed and collecting dust. (I need to buy from GOG more often)

*I remember news sites on slow days talked about how origin support was better than steam. "everyone"

Dunki

I love the fact that you actuall can get dlc itmes and extra stuff by playing the game. This is something steam really needs as well. Orgin is far worse than Uplay IMO. But Steam is where all my games are. But I am glad I can start Assassins Creed via Steam ^^

Battlenet would be worst at the moment honestly, its disables you from most of the options when there is a update.
I had to manually delete overwatch using control panel or wait for a 1GB patch for bnet.

Last edited:

Raptomex

It's improved over time, however, I don't like how they tack it onto their games on Steam. DRM on top of DRM? No.

Kadayi

Banned
No issues really. Bulk of it my games are on Steam but I'll generally go where the best deals are. Steam, GOG, Uplay, Origin.. I don't care they're all OK.

If you both already have UPlay installed I do not see why you should spend more money on the Steam version. But that's just me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was never a huge fan of Uplay but I will admit that in the past year or so it's gotten significantly better.

It's a menu, just like Steam is. There's no functional difference really, the store is better on Steam but other than that they pretty much work the same. It's crazy how Valve has built this weird goodwill when they are just a DRM.

Steam is basically the social media channel for gamers.

To some regard i guess. Discord is killing any chat function though, unless you meant something else. The hate seems to be what consumers are experiecing again with Netflix. There's a really naive dumbness to a lot of people that expected Netflix to be the holy grail of streaming and thought they would have every show and movie just like when they launched. They praised streaming and cable cutting and then can't understand why competitors suddenly pop up.

Gaming (and streaming) will be just like our TV/Cable subscriptions where you buy packages and can access different things in different portals. It's just how it works (Sadly).

Filben

To some regard i guess. Discord is killing any chat function though, unless you meant something else.
The chat function is just one of the things I meant. You have built-in message boards for discussion games but more often for trouble shooting. You can share screenshots, videos, reviews and game related art works with your friends or the entire community. Some developer, especially indie devs, stay actively in touch with the community. There are news and patch notes published by the developers first hand. You can even 'follow' games to get noticed whenever a new event, update or news is being published.

Whether you use it and like it or not is up to each one, just stating that Steam offers much more than a shop and user interface (of course this is all intertwined to get you and publishers dependent on this service and fuel sales; but there are still advantages).

Ubisoft has been steadily improving Uplay and I'd say it's been in a great place for at least a year now. I use it almost every day with For Honor (and lately Assassin's Creed Syndicate) and it's snappy and given me no problems. I like it more than current Origin, for what little that's worth.

Rellik

It's fine. My only problem with it is when it boots up on a Ubisoft game in Steam. I don't see the need to have both of them running for your game.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I have no issues with it, only issues with all the different launchers is your games all over the place. I dream that one day we will all live in unity.

Top Bottom