• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Mafia |OT| Sometimes You Don't Need A Reason to Lynch Your Friends

franconp

All I'm saying is, with no flip, no claims, no flavor, not even a little SALT, we have nothing to go on and I cannot abide by a lynch. I would much rather explore a No Lynch today.

You know that it doesn't work like that, right?

Voting No Lynch day 1 is just wasting a day. Scum can target the lowest activity player or greater shitposter and we can be back to day 1 again.

Karkador

Banned
You know that it doesn't work like that, right?

Voting No Lynch day 1 is just wasting a day. Scum can target the lowest activity player or greater shitposter and we can be back to day 1 again.

You're saying that like Town doesn't do that on a Day 1 lynch anyway. Why accelerate the clock?

I've never understood the obsession with the D1 lynch. It is rarely a useful thing in itself, not even in the hindsight of future flips. Not to mention that GAFIA has a knack for lynching the doctor on D1.

VOTE: No Lynch

The house sits along the coastline.

Placed beside a sheer cliff, it gazes out over the ocean and it's constant shifting sands. It's a majestic manor, built just after World War 1 ended. A finely kept relic not easily found. Your car travels from granite to gravel, and then to dirt as you make your way to your destination.

You find yourself at a clearing where other cars can be seen parked. The other guests have already arrived. You park your vehicle and see a small path leading through the woods. After a short trip, you cross a wooden rope bridge and finally get a look at the building atop the hill. It almost seems etched into the skyline as dark clouds start building in the distance. Rain was on its way. You pass the wrought iron gate, climb the steps on the front entrance and approach the large door. You can here talking inside, and the occasional outburst of laughter.

But this wasn't any normal get together, nor simply a party. Death lingered over this residence. And you... are you the victim of this horrid crime? A cog in this never ending machine of dread? Maybe you are here to stop this vile deed from happening, a savior to the others, a detective, a hero.

Or maybe... maybe it is you who has dragged the miasma of death with you to the house. Perhaps you are the fiend everyone will eventually know to fear. Not the devil, but death himself, coming to make your call.

Thunder roars in the distance as you knock on the door.

plagiarism in French means to go to the beach

Zubz

Banned
You're saying that like Town doesn't do that on a Day 1 lynch anyway. Why accelerate the clock?

I've never understood the obsession with the D1 lynch. It is rarely a useful thing in itself, not even in the hindsight of future flips. Not to mention that GAFIA has a knack for lynching the doctor on D1.

It gives us info on Day 2.

Lynch the no-lyncher!

VOTE: Karkador

I really hope you're not just bandwagoning off of my erratic vote here. I mean, I hope I'm Town & that you are, too. But we both can't be so sure about that, can we?

Zubz

Banned
VOTE: No Lynch

I didn't see this.

black-dynamite-you-done-fucked-up-now.gif

Vote: Blargonaut

franconp

Because looking for target to lynch brings discussion? Because discussion could lead to slips? It has happened before.

Going for No Lynch makes the game easier for scum. They can just wait at the sides to let the day end, lynch someone who can't be linked to them and try to repeat day one. Not pushing a No Lynch policy makes everyone a target and that makes the scum team more cautious and, maybe, suspicious.

The knack for lynching the doctor D1 is just a weak excuse.

Karkador

Banned
Because looking for target to lynch brings discussion? Because discussion could lead to slips? It has happened before.

Going for No Lynch makes the game easier for scum. They can just wait at the sides to let the day end, lynch someone who can't be linked to them and try to repeat day one.

I would agree this could be the case for a D1 lynch, too. Scum waits at the sidelines on D1 regardless, especially if we're gonna go with this auto-lynch D1 tactic. They have to put very little effort into avoiding a lynch today, unless by some slim chance they get singled out.

It's also always fairly easy for scum to lynch someone with no ties to them on N1.

The knack for lynching the doctor D1 is just a weak excuse.

It's not an excuse as much as it is to say that D1 decisions tend to be awful, because that's the nature of the game Lynching someone doesn't always bring clarity, and I'm not gonna let anybody convince me that lynching someone (at the point where we're most likely to hit Town) is an automatically good idea.

Gafia has a knack for lynching the doctor no matter what. Like, when there is a full claim backed up by other posters, and no counterclaim, and the logic shows that the thunderdome has only one plausible conclusion with the whole role name thing....and they STILL lynch the doctor.

(No, i'm not bitter. I was glad to go.)

Still, I predict this whole thing will end in 48 hours and you'll change to a real vote, and pretend this resulted in something useful.

More predictions:
LP will stop posting at 10 posts, none of them will have content.
Blargonaut will say nothing but use a lot of words, and will post more than one gif.
Monkey will talk a lot? I don't think I've read a whole game she played.
Cewyn will tell lies and then laugh.
Nin will role claim, and then apologize.
Isaacnukem will never understand why people don't automatically believe his claims.
Wee will correct somebody's usage of a word.
Fat4all will post many many gifs and continue his CYA story, on review it will have nothign to do with the game.
Kitsunelaine will have fewer posts than the mod.
Franco will go insane, and as the hours pass, will visibly deteriorate.
Melonrabbit will vote for everyone here at one point or another.

Am I wrong? Did I forget anyone?

franconp

What???

I would agree this could be the case for a D1 lynch, too. Scum waits at the sidelines on D1 regardless, especially if we're gonna go with this auto-lynch D1 tactic. They have to put very little effort into avoiding a lynch today, unless by some slim chance they get singled out.

It's also always fairly easy for scum to lynch someone with no ties to them on N1.

No. Having discussion is always a good thing. Seeing how people react to votes is a good way to try to out scum. There are several examples how scum made several mistakes under pressure day one that lead to lynching them.

A little chance to single one out is better that no chance. And having discussion and putting pressure on players to see their reactions is better than waiting and doing nothing.

It's not an excuse as much as it is to say that D1 decisions tend to be awful, because that's the nature of the game Lynching someone doesn't always bring clarity, and I'm not gonna let anybody convince me that lynching someone (at the point where we're most likely to hit Town) is an automatically good idea.

You are generalizing saying that D1 tend to be awful. Not all D1 are awful. We should be playing with that mindset as every game is different. As you like to play with the numbers we have more chance to hit a scum member than the doctor (if there is even one).

Congratulations, Karkador you got your hands on the tablecloth and we're all just an afternoon tea set to you, aren't we?

Well, we only stay still if you're fast enough, friend

I think the benefits outweigh the cost. If a scum member by pure chance happens to become a potential lynch target on D1, that is one of the hardest things for scum to react to.

franconp

Gafia has a knack for lynching the doctor no matter what. Like, when there is a full claim backed up by other posters, and no counterclaim, and the logic shows that the thunderdome has only one plausible conclusion with the whole role name thing....and they STILL lynch the doctor.

(No, i'm not bitter. I was glad to go.)

Still, I predict this whole thing will end in 48 hours and you'll change to a real vote, and pretend this resulted in something useful.

More predictions:
Blargonaut will say nothing but use a lot of words, and will post more than one gif.

Isaacnukem will never understand why people don't automatically believe his claims.
Fat4all will post many many gifs and continue his CYA story, on review it will have
nothign to do with the game.

Am I wrong? Did I forget anyone?

I can agree with the bolded.

Also you can add Acohrns making some rubgy comments.

I will be trying to keep the insanity to a minimun.

More predictions:
Fat4all will post many many gifs and continue his CYA story, on review it will have nothign to do with the game.

This checks out.

Did I forget anyone?

Uh, CornB? Dusk? Zubz? Launchpad? ... Do I have to list everyone you left off?

She'd be in the top 4.
whoa whoa whoa whoa

You seem nice, melonrabbit, and god knows we women are in short supply, so let's not get crazy over here, you know what I'm saying?

Fat, I am going to give you a revolver

The moment I post a GIF, I want you to shoot me with it. Understand?

I don't know if I want to live in this world.

oh god you're probably right D:

As for like, actual mafia, we could vote for Zubz, I guess. I mean, no one knows what will happen then if he's telling the truth. But Zubz got the ax d1 of my first game and I kinda don't want to see him go.

D'awww y'all turned my predictions in to BOLD predictions.

Achoo talkign about rugby is plausible. I'll add fighting with someone on his own team, whatever that is.
Zubz - you were mantis once? I don't know your playstyle and havent' played with you. I got nothing.
Dusk i played with but he died before talking. Hey dusk, are you any good?
Launchpad....i once played with him and he role claimed and i thought it was a complex gambit. So i don't expect a complex gambit. Please don't prove me wrong.
Corn will post a reads list by day end and then go "i never said they wuz stoopid"
And the other noob will get replaced.

Er...no, melon, I didn't expect anyone to care if I left someone out. I was just trying to see how many people I can remember at once since this is a slightly smaller game. I seem to top out at a dozen. No wonder I prefer to lynch on day one. Well, that and I can often pinpoint a scum during the day.

whoa whoa whoa whoa

You seem nice, melonrabbit, and god knows we women are in short supply, so let's not get crazy over here, you know what I'm saying?

I'm a legend around these parts. I have incredible taste.

Guys, we're already tearing each other apart! And we know nothing!

I'm gonna play it smart.

Vote: No Lynch

I'm gonna play it smart.

You need to add around the vote. Make it red .

Why are you choosing to jump on the No Lynch train?

This is not a popular train.

Zubz

Banned

I'm gonna play it smart.

Oh! Just helping, you need to use for it to count.

D'awww y'all turned my predictions in to BOLD predictions.

Zubz - you were mantis once? I don't know your playstyle and havent' played with you. I got nothing.

I've been a Mantis for awhile now. Specifically the bartender from He Is a Good Boy.

You need to add around the vote. Make it red .

Why are you choosing to jump on the No Lynch train?

This is not a popular train.

Ah! okay, thanks!

Well, it's mostly because... I don't want to accidentally lynch a doctor. Or a cop. I wanna have some warm bodies to examine before I make a move.

Please; I value literal economy, hence my predilection for fielding the mobile text legions

An economical usage of text is the opposite of legions of text.

Crap.

I hate losing these battles of wits.

vote: kitsunelaine
I like your enthusiasm. Can you explain why, with so many vets on the side of lynching, you still support the no lynch movement? You are making yourself a target and you sound like you have reason. Lay it on me.

@fatdog thank you for proving me right. XD although I didn't expect all the gifs to be the same gif, or all in one post. Do you think Kark is being his town self or his scum self?

@kark if you had to choose between lynching blargonaut and lynching me, which would you go for?

@melon if you could pick 3 people to burn down with you, who would you pick at this point?

Fat4all

Banned
The final guest steps across the threshold. The game is a foot.

The help weaves in and out of the crowd that formed in the entryway, passing out wine and scotch. While the group is mostly silent, there is a light murmur of talk amongst the guests. It didn't take long for all of them to realize that none of them really knew each other. A few might of recognized a face or two from the papers or while at social events in the city, but names were lost between them.

A light clinging of glass silences the group as they gaze up at the person atop the large, mahogany staircase. Holding a glass in one hand, they slowly start to descend.

"I'm glad you all could make it before the storm could roll in. It's rather difficult to travel the path in a storm."

"It's not like we had any choice but to come," a rough, irritate voice answers back.

CrimsonFist's smile widened at these words.

"No. No, I suppose not Zubz. But it's business that must be settled and settled quickly, as I'm sure you all agree. No doubt all of you want this out of the way here and now rather than dealing with... well... lets say the 'authorities'?"

The groups shifts at this, glancing around at each other silently.

"Good indeed!" CrimsonFist said to the muted mass, and gestured them into the sitting room in the left hall.

"Help yourself to drinks and snacks before dinner. By all means, feel free to discuss each of your 'troubles' with each other. I will be attending to dinner, my head chef is out with the flu..."

"But wait!" one of the guests spoke up nervously, "what of the discussion of your, um, terms?"

CrimsonFist gave acohrs a pat on the shoulder.

"That can wait until after dinner."

franconp

Ah! okay, thanks!

Well, it's mostly because... I don't want to accidentally lynch a doctor. Or a cop. I wanna have some warm bodies to examine before I make a move.

You know there is likely only 1 doctor and/or a cop (if there is any at all) when there are most likely 4 scum (maybe 3, 4 seems more likely). The odds are more in favor to hit scum than a doctor or a cop.

Fat4all

Banned
@fatdog thank you for proving me right. XD although I didn't expect all the gifs to be the same gif, or all in one post.

WgWQ1.gif

Do you think Kark is being his town self or his scum self?

The only other time I can remember playing with Kark, on day one he was much more all over the place and turned out to be town, so it's hard to say for sure.

Could just be regular Kark play for all I know.

@melon if you could pick 3 people to burn down with you, who would you pick at this point?

Why am I burning? I swear my cooking is improving.

Fat because he'll keep me entertained with those A+ quality gif, Blarg cause he can take the heat and Kark for starting us down this No Lynch path. Again. Always.

I've been a Mantis for awhile now. Specifically the bartender from He Is a Good Boy.

I didn't mean your avatar, I meant were you once NAMED mantis. If you were always zubz, then I really don't know you. How would you describe your playstyle?

Would you support gambits?
What if they
A) worked
B) m?d? y?? l??gh
C) resulted in an annoying player getting lynched
D) nobody ever responded and nothing happened

Top Bottom