• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Mafia |OT| Sometimes You Don't Need A Reason to Lynch Your Friends

Fat4all

Banned
It's flavor in a game where flavor doesn't matter.

Though I'm having trouble figuring out why Blarg would hand me a revolver and ask me to shoot them.

I suppose it's important to someone, at the very least.

franconp

RESULT: I claim generic town.

What do you think about not claiming at all?

Wrong there franboy! Don't have my partners in crime here, rugby talk would be wasted on you plebians

You are missing CCS already?

I'm not a fan of the no lynch vote. My main reasons for being against it have already been mentioned by people (less information on D2, no voting history for today). Since I want to lynch someone today I should probably put a vote out there.

Vote: franconp

OK. Random vote?

Since the main topic of the last hours was the lynch / No Lynch i will put down my 2cents.

I can understand the reasoning Kark is giving and i share his sentiments.
On the other hand i can also understand those that want to lynch someone in order to recieve information.
BUT.
A no lynch does not equal that we wont be having a discussion. Since in the coming days we will ofc go by the votes but the main meat will come from the discussion.

ON the other hand
Voting is the main power tool town has.

still unsure but will make up my mind very soon

Long time since we played together Nin. Something more to add, because this post is basically nothing. It's the kind of post that I would expect from scum to make when they want to look cooperative but without raising to many flags.

nin1000

Banned
Long time since we played together Nin. Something more to add, because this post is basically nothing. It's the kind of post that I would expect from scum to make when they want to look cooperative but without raising to many flags.

Hello franconp. Indeed it has need ages. Glad to play with you again.

Nothing there to add though. You are throwing shade at this post by saying there is nothing to see there, yet these are my thoughts. If you do not agree with them pick them out and start a discussion, i would love to. But stamping the post and saying g that It is something scum would do is just plain lazy.
Not even scum would be that lazy ( I don't suspect you of being scum atm since you are being yourself ( not cool btw ).
Furthermore I usually don't care about raising any flags but this time I want to cut the usual bs I do.

Let me ask you yesterday since I think that it comes down to this.
Do you think that those who would like to have a nice lynch are plain scum ?

Feel free to respond since I would love to argue with you again

franconp

Hello franconp. Indeed it has need ages. Glad to play with you again.

Nothing there to add though. You are throwing shade at this post by saying there is nothing to see there, yet these are my thoughts. If you do not agree with them pick them out and start a discussion, i would love to. But stamping the post and saying g that It is something scum would do is just plain lazy.
Not even scum would be that lazy ( I don't suspect you of being scum atm since you are being yourself ( not cool btw ).
Furthermore I usually don't care about raising any flags but this time I want to cut the usual bs I do.

Let me ask you yesterday since I think that it comes down to this.
Do you think that those who would like to have a nice lynch are plain scum ?

Feel free to respond since I would love to argue with you again

What feels odd about the post is that it doesn't have much of your thoughts. It's basically you saying the benefits of both sides and not much else. You aren't taking a decision or a statement but just relating some easy facts. Scum love to do it because it makes them see cooperative.

Regarding your question: Not necessarily. I also think lynching someone it's the right way to go. I'm more interested about some of the reactions to Kark post: Zubs was too soon to jump on the topic and in a definitely weird way. The "I'm not looking at my role PM" seems bullshit. Both NecktoChiken and Kitsune seems to eager to jump into the No Lynch vote, but both are newbies so I can make some decision yet there. Fat made a bunch of post but he didn't commented about this at all (hell, he didn't commented about anything, it's just a lot of shitposting).

Fat4all

Banned
(hell, he didn't commented about anything, it's just a lot of shitposting).
I have no inkling on who to vote for yet, I'll likely wait until everyone checks in. This is a basic mafia game but not 'town only'. There seems to be power roles (as Crimson said, not 'too bastard'), so I feel like being cautious with my vote is the way for me to hang at the mo'.
So I haven't even read my Role PM, & have no idea who I am or what side I'm on.
dats silly

iggyfarting.gif
The only other time I can remember playing with Kark, on day one he was much more all over the place and turned out to be town, so it's hard to say for sure.

Could just be regular Kark play for all I know.

"he didn't commented about anything" is an awkward phrase in general. Not based on what I've posted, mind, but mostly on saying out loud.

nin1000

Banned
What feels odd about the post is that it doesn't have much of your thoughts. It's basically you saying the benefits of both sides and not much else. You aren't taking a decision or a statement but just relating some easy facts. Scum love to do it because it makes them see cooperative.

You are correct, in my mind it was put out better. Let me be clear then.
I am on the boat of lynching someone since it is the only tool we have.
But i can understand Kark with his thought process even though i do not agree with him.
i will however not put a vote down just yet since chaning the votes so often just diminishes the impact.

franconp

"he didn't commented about anything" is an awkward phrase in general. Not based on what I've posted, mind, but mostly on saying out loud.

The first post it's like the post of Nin before. There isn't much there.

I think you can do better than doggo. What do you think about the eagerness of Kitsune to jump to No Lynch and then moving the vote to Wee without much reasoning? And about NecktoChicken already claiming?

franconp

You are correct, in my mind it was put out better. Let me be clear then.
I am on the boat of lynching someone since it is the only tool we have.
But i can understand Kark with his thought process even though i do not agree with him.
i will however not put a vote down just yet since chaning the votes so often just diminishes the impact.

Better now. What do you think about Zubs?

Fat4all

Banned
I think you can do better than doggo. What do you think about the eagerness of Kitsune to jump to No Lynch and then moving the vote to Wee without much reasoning? And about NecktoChicken already claiming?

Both are new without making any interesting (dangerous?) moves thus far.

I've gone after new players before, but only after very odd shifts in decision.

Both of the new folk running at the moment haven't done anything to shift my opinion away for "new player gitters."

---
Also, I've already stated my opinion on the 'No Lynch' vote at day one, but it's not a singular point I would hold against someone to justify a vote as well. I like to make my votes in general after the stretch of time leading up to the end of the day, and the reaction to that lead up as well. I would never find myself going for a No Lynch, but I can't say that it's a vote unjustified for everyone.

Fat4all

Banned
Also, I'm about going to bed

Hopefully a specific gif isn't posted until after 5 pm EST

wink wink
nudge nudge
say no more say no more

You're saying that like Town doesn't do that on a Day 1 lynch anyway. Why accelerate the clock?

I've never understood the obsession with the D1 lynch. It is rarely a useful thing in itself, not even in the hindsight of future flips. Not to mention that GAFIA has a knack for lynching the doctor on D1.

So we have 20 players. Lets assume 3 or 4 scum.

3/20 or 4/20 chance for proper lynch. That's 15%-20% chance of success.

We no lynch. Night phase comes.

In the night phase assume scum kills a town member.

3/19 or 4/19 = 16-21%... WOWWWWWWW BIG INCREASE!

Even being generous and assuming that a town cop investigates a town member (and we all believe the cop):

3/17 or 4/17 = 18-24%.

Of course that situation is super unlikely because even if a cop does investigate someone early on they won't just shout it immediately.

Our chances don't really increase meaningfully on D2.

No lynch is just wasting valuable time.

nin1000

Banned
Regarding your question: Not necessarily. I also think lynching someone it's the right way to go. I'm more interested about some of the reactions to Kark post: Zubs was too soon to jump on the topic and in a definitely weird way. The "I'm not looking at my role PM" seems bullshit. Both NecktoChiken and Kitsune seems to eager to jump into the No Lynch vote, but both are newbies so I can make some decision yet there. Fat made a bunch of post but he didn't commented about this at all (hell, he didn't commented about anything, it's just a lot of shitposting).

Sorry I initially wanted to respond to this aswell but something came up.

I agree but am also hesitant on putting down my thoughts on those players aswell as the others for now.
I agree on the fat thing even though I can understand his way of playing. Since for most day 1 is just shitposting ( that is of course not true )

I think we should definitely lynch someone today, but I don't really have anything to add to that discussion or on who to vote for me. sadly, I've played with and like a lot of you, so I don't want to just carelessly vote someone, especially since everyone is being so nice...

Karkador

Banned
I think we should definitely lynch someone today, but I don't really have anything to add to that discussion or on who to vote for me. sadly, I've played with and like a lot of you, so I don't want to just carelessly vote someone, especially since everyone is being so nice...

Tanner! 🚓🚓

rac

Banned
if i didnt like zubz play of not reading his pm so much id probably vote for him

but i think you're lying

Kevyt

Hi all!

Sorry I was busy yesterday and this week gonna be somewhat busy but... Interesting to have no lunch at the top, even though it's just Karkador and Blargonaut. Very interesting...

Karkador

Banned
The Great No-Lunch Debate, Part 2:

So we have 20 players. Lets assume 3 or 4 scum.

3/20 or 4/20 chance for proper lynch. That's 15%-20% chance of success.

This would be plainly true, if we were deciding who to lynch purely on a random draw (which is theoretically a valid strategy).

However, we're not doing that. Those 3-4 scum members area actively colluding to steer the vote away from them. So in practice, I'd say that To-Hit ratio is less favorable than that.

In that case, we might have a better chance of hitting scum by choosing a lynch target RANDOMLY than this song and dance.

No lynch is just wasting valuable time.

Deaths are the timer of a mafia game, so no, not really

Wow. Catching up. Bought a car yesterday and that took forever and then had to podcast and while I was shitposting a bit y'all are all in here doing WITNESS ME!! runs and making shit happen. Maybe. Or just making a big show. Gimme a bit.

I claim town and nothing more.

TIME TO SHOW MY WORK. (Warning: NERD ahead)

FOR Day 1 and little voting record or other information:

IF I am vanilla town THEN
-Claiming generic town gives no information other than making me seem more untrustworthy in a game of untrustworthies.
-Claiming vanilla town puts me potentially low on scum kill lists, removing me from harm but endangering power roles by depriving them an "unknown" as a decoy.
-Claiming a generic power role magnetizes scum to me, but also puts day phase heat on me when I am unable to back up later with results. This will cause problems and confusion for town later.
-Claiming a specific power role is putting a gun to my head both in day and night phase AND might force a counterclaim marking two town for death.
THEREFORE I claim generic town to cause the least damage.

IF I am a town power role THEN
-Claiming generic town gives no information other than making me seem more untrustworthy in a game of untrustworthies.
-Claiming vanilla town lowers my scum target rating, but is a lie. This lie's exposure could be lethal to me unless I get out in front of it and claim truthfully later. This marks me for death to scum later BUT misleads town. Town can run wild with misinformation...
-Claiming a generic power role draws scum to me, BUT possibly allows for a doctor save should one exist. This is not assured by any means. If I make it a few days my results will speak for themselves... but I could just do that in a few days then.
-Claiming a specific power role is putting a mafia gun to my head (and hoping for a doctor save), BUT dissuades a counterclaim from happening as my death will turn a laser focus on the other claimer. This narrows the places scum can hide at the cost of my life.
THEREFORE I claim generic town to keep myself alive and not mislead town.

IF I am a neutral THEN
-Claiming vanilla town protects from scum slightly but makes me more expendable to town, and is also a lie. This lie's exposure is a very bad not good thing.
-Claiming neutral, whether town-friendly or scum-aiding, is some measure of scum protection as they likely have bigger fish to fry and enjoy the extra breathing room. However, this is just asking to get lynched. If you're a survivor... well, good luck.
-Claiming a generic power role is an interesting play. You might receive protection from town and the scum might not kill you fast enough for it to matter. Dangerous, but workable.
-Claiming a specific power role is a lot more dangerous. You might be a serial killer and claim vigilante, but once the kills keep rolling out townspeople are going to get suspicious. Scum will put one in you unless you've got bulletproof...
THEREFORE I claim generic/vanilla town to stall OR generic power role to bluff depending on my power and predilections.

IF I am scum THEN
-Claiming vanilla makes me expendable to town, and is also a lie. This lie's exposure looks pretty bad. However, I can spin this as protecting myself as a power role for later if caught.
-Claiming a generic power role is similar to the neutral claim, but you are much more restricted. You have to make it to the end of the game to win, and claiming some power role day one will have everyone looking for results that you must falsify or fail to deliver.
-Claiming a specific power role might force a counterclaim, but you will die the death unless you pull some next level mind trickery.
THEREFORE I claim generic or vanilla town to hide for now and lie my ass off later.

RESULT: I claim generic town.

Again, these are for the current situation and information level. I welcome any criticism of my rationales because I have no idea what I'm doing...

This may seem like me saying "oh look I could be any of these har har", so I'll add one last bit. To put it plain and so that you can rack me with it later: I definitively claim I am neither neutral nor scum.

bruv pls no

I'm sure there are theoretical scenarios in which a No Lynch (I'm loving the No Lunch typos/autocorrects and I really just want to say LUNCH from now on - NO LUNCH FOR YOU!) benefits town. In fact, I'm inclined to say that No Lynch might be better than simply not voting - since, after all NOT voting is a power we all have, too. And it's a very different statement than No Lynch.

But while we are debating throwing no one into the volcano for their sweet, sweet information, scum is kicked back with their feet up. All they have to do is watch then. Who has influence? Who makes people listen? Who will or won't raise suspicion? And they're making their lists. We're giving them the tools to do that and taking nothing in return. Loath as I am to kill my friends, someone's gotta be the sacrifice, not only for the flip, but for everything that leads up to it.

Further, this devolves into us discussing mechanics - we've got people out their with their probabilities and their papers and their grand calculations and Kark picking his own name out of a randomized hat and at the end of the day, discussing the mechanics of mafia has become the flavor in the flavorless game. We all know it, it's relatively empty, and it's not particularly beneficial. It might lead to scum doing something, but so could any discussion, really, if we want to talk about those probable scenarios.

So like, vote for someone. You don't have to do it now. It's still d1 of d1. But someone needs to get taken to lunch. I'm anti-no lunch. Lunch4All.

I claim town and nothing more.

So as someone who is a pretty recent newbie, I'm gonna come to you newbie to newbie and say don't do this. It's pretty unlikely people will lynch you day 1 because they are nice to newbies and my guess is that this is a first-game mistake and not a scum-cover mistake, but there's a few things here that you need to hear, I think--

-Day one, we're all just town. No one's going to roll out and say I'M SCUM! LYNCH ME PLS and unless you've got a neutral with a weird wincon or a miller or something, it's doubtful we'd see a claim for reason. But essentially, that's the backbone of mafia. We are all town. It's just that someone secretly isn't. There's utterly no reason to claim random town on day one.

-Your "nerd alert facts" are not facts and are actually quite easily disputed and this is where GAFia gonna get you if you're not careful. It's a long post of easily argued points and that equals noise and distraction. So maybe ease back.

As a recent newb who got lynched day2 for not dissimilar behavior... take it from me.

NeckToChicken and Kitsunelaine, if you have any questions about the jargon in play, feel obliged to ask me what I think about the evolution of language

Karkador

Banned
Alright, look, we'll take a Batcomputer approach and list the top 5 instead

> 11
> 10
> 6
> 1
> 2

11) Karkador [m]
10) LaunchpadMcQ [m]
6) NeckToChicken [m] (new)
1) Lone_Prodigy [m]
2) Hey_Monkey [f]

Someone in this group is mafia! (and I know it isn't me). RNG has spoken.

We should be banned from using standard [Mafia] jargon for this particular game, I say.

Build your own lexicons, you sputtering hacks, I'd like to see you muppets attempt communication-driven creativity

Karkador

Banned
It's not me, either.

We're one step closer to solving this mystery...

Okay, claim accepted.

• No claim yet from LP on whether they're scum or not.
  • NecktoChicken took us on a long walk of hypotheticals to claim...generic town. Not sure why.
  • hey_monkey wont commit to an alignment, just basically telling us "we're all town" (#alllivesmatter), an approach that avoids any need to lie about your alignment or commit to a statement.

Okay, claim accepted.

• No claim yet from LP on whether they're scum or not.
  • NecktoChicken took us on a long walk of hypotheticals to claim...generic town. Not sure why.
  • hey_monkey wont commit to an alignment, just basically telling us "we're all town" (#alllivesmatter), an approach that avoids any need to lie about your alignment or commit to a statement.

okay, game off.

so like I get the funny except all lives matter bullshit is not funny and please don't put my name in your mouth with that even as a joke.

game on.

I'm town! CONFETTI! PARADES! WOO HOO! It's as empty as a No Lynch vote d1, but there you go.

Karkador

Banned
I'm sure there are theoretical scenarios in which a No Lynch (I'm loving the No Lunch typos/autocorrects and I really just want to say LUNCH from now on - NO LUNCH FOR YOU!) benefits town. In fact, I'm inclined to say that No Lynch might be better than simply not voting - since, after all NOT voting is a power we all have, too. And it's a very different statement than No Lynch.

You seem to not think it's an empty gesture

So while I may have made a flippant joke (sorry about that), let's not be flippant about this.

You're 1) advocating for a blanket "let's just lynch somebody" policy today, which is not uncommon, but

2) you are trying to establish a standard where we don't really have to look at or commit to an alignment today, because "it doesn't matter" or something.

I think there is some psychological basis in saying that people who might have something to lie about are going to try to not commit to a statement where they might have to lie. Thus why you seem to be playing with this idea of nobody claiming alignment. Even if it's a minor point, it's there.

Kark, I don't want you to think I'm not responding, but I have work to do so I'm gonna be gone for a while for that, but what you are doing is the very definition of cherrypicking when you choose one of my statements in that post and not the others.

Is this really the hill you wanna die on? Arguing the merits of No Lynch and demanding people talk about their alignment on day one as though anyone's gonna say anything else? Sure, you might catch someone in a lie. But you're also going to dominate the conversation and the narrative and people like me, contrary-ass contrarians who like to argue for the shit of it, we'll respond, but scum will wisely stay out of it, maybe dropping in a pithy line or two so they look present without being suspicious.

I mean, we can do this dance if you wanna. I will dance because I am like physically incapable of not answering when I am addressed (some of y'all can do this and I envy it). But I do find it kind of hollow and possibly detrimental. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Karkador

Banned
Kark, I don't want you to think I'm not responding, but I have work to do so I'm gonna be gone for a while for that, but what you are doing is the very definition of cherrypicking when you choose one of my statements in that post and not the others.

What else have you said in regards to comparing No Lynch to other options, and how much those gestures mean? I was making a pretty specific point that you contradicted yourself.

Is this really the hill you wanna die on?

Sounds a bit presumptuous to assume I'm gonna die for picking at your words, especially when you yourself admit you are gonna do the same.

I mean, we can do this dance if you wanna. I will dance because I am like physically incapable of not answering when I am addressed (some of y'all can do this and I envy it). But I do find it kind of hollow and possibly detrimental. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The point is that people will avoid telling a little lie, even a soft little alignment claim, if they can avoid it. That is what I read from your "we're all Town on D1" speech. You are avoiding the subject.

On the contrary, the traditional lexicon should serve this game perfectly, Stretch Blargstrong.

Yummy me samified yet you dare Kark yucky landing Darey?

Precisely what yuck!HM would say for nothing tailmouths yum's Fathoms more than bracing the land's Status Quote churn-prior.

Top Bottom