• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just noticed that Shinji Mikami's studio Tango Gameworks is among the aquired...

Neff

7.5b for Mikami? A steal.

Now you know what to do, Phil. Throw as much cash at the man as he needs to make the 'game like Die Hard' he's always wanted to make.

fully expecting evil within 3 exclusive - that or a new horror IP by mikami. Microsoft definitely wants to have their own horror ip.

Belmonte

Shinji Mikami is a genius.

It is incredible how he made so many masterpieces in different genres. God Hand is incredible. Painful to know we won't get a sequel.

Isn't he more a supervisor than a developer these days though?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Evil Within is severely underrated. I got 100% trophies in both titles. Don't be bad <3

I think it's a good series. The first was a pinch too janky and the sequel felt a bit too market-tested. I'm hoping the third will be "just right".

Last edited:

Arachnid

EW1 was great for 6 or 7 chapters then it went to shit imo with a couple of good chapters here and there. EW2 was solid all around. I really enjoyed exploring the tiny ass open world areas. I wish EW2 had more levels the size of the first main area. I didn't expect the environments to get smaller as the game progressed.
1 definitely had its rough patches (everything after chapter 10 went full RE5, which has been my biggest complaint with it since launch), but IMO it's highs hit higher than EW2's (though it's lows also hit lower). Chapter 7 in the labyrinth against the Keeper was horror gold that EW2 couldn't touch, for example. Chapters 9/10 in the mansion/amalgam alpha/Laura's second boss were also all fantastic (10 was a crucible that left me exhausted).

EW1 also had a better and more unique story and antagonist (everything to do with Ruvik was fantastic). Stephano in EW2 was great, but Father Theodor and Myra were just OK.

I also felt like EW2 dropped the ball abandoning the matches system from the first game, which was one of the more unique mechanics it brought to the table. They should have expanded on that.

The Lost weren't as cool/grotesque as The Haunted from the first game (though I loved their more erratic movement that made placing shots more difficult)

The boss battles were better and their designs were scarier/more thematic in EW1 too. Obscura was a FANTASTIC design, though it wasn't scary (not a knock against it, still a great boss). Guardian was pretty good, though they could have done more with her/built her up more like they did Obscura (her boss arena was pretty cool with the traps and what not though). O'Neal, Myra, and Stephano's boss battles were all lame. The best boss battle in the entire game was composed of bosses from the first game (that was a hyped section, I'll give EW2 that). The only real fear I felt in the entirety of EW2 was against the Anima (which was just as scary if not moreso than anything in EW1), but everything else fell flat. Even she became kind of one note after the 2-3rd encounter though. It's also worth noting that EW2 had about half the bosses EW1 did, and only two of them were arguably as imaginative as the bosses from from the first game. This is one of my biggest problems with the game.

The story of Seb looking for his daughter is also kind of played out in horror games. I would have been OK with it if there was a good twist to turn it on its head (I kept expecting Seb to find her as nothing but a brain hooked up to a mainframe like Ruvik was), but that never came (Myra being corrupted was the best the story could offer, but we've known that she was with Mobius since the first game) That feel good ending was kind of a cop out too (compared to EW1 with Ruvik escaping and Joseph being taken prisoner; EW1 was also more open ended at first, with fans still wondering if you were still in the STEM). I can look past this though since Seb sure as hell earned it (still, I prefer more horrific endings in horror games; like Isaac throughout most of Dead Space).

EW1 had a better setting. Beacon felt more oppressive, and the constant shifts never let me feel like I was comfortable with the situation. Don't get me wrong, Union was fun as hell to explore (mostly; the Marrow was a super uninspired location), but the familiarity I developed with it after the first open world section killed the fear factor of exploring. I still really liked the open sections, but IMO EW2 became stronger once things got more linear (which is what you didn't like). Horror games benefit more from direction/deliberation. I also really found myself missing the gore/eyeballs/more grotesque art direction the first game had. Of course EW2 was better technically, with better movement, combat, and a more expansive character/weapon upgrade tree. It just didn't have the direction/imagination the first one had.

tl:dr EW2 played better mechanically and was much more refined, but didn't have the imagination or soul the first brought to the table. That's to be expected though, since Shinji Mikami himself helmed the first one while his number 2 directed the second.

I think it's a good series. The first was a pinch too janky and the sequel felt a bit too market-tested. I'm hoping the third will be "just right".

I think 2nd game was far bigger improvement level design and gameplay.

But 1st game was creepier and better story.

quest

Not Banned from OT
7.5b for Mikami? A steal.

Now you know what to do, Phil. Throw as much cash at the man as he needs to make the 'game like Die Hard' he's always wanted to make.
You know uncle Phil will kiss his ass and give what he wants. Phil wanted this chance forever he will do what he can to make the man happy. The people who think it's getting shutdown wishful thinking.

D.Final

Banned
Love that man's work.
God Hand and Vanquish are among some of my favourite games...

Imo one of the greatest devs ever..

s3-gorilla1.jpg

20561vq100402_007_b2article_artwork.jpg

This deal looks more and more amazing to me.

Good job, Phil!

Welp
Is indeed in the list

Top Bottom