• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just revisited The Order 1886 in 2021 and...

as a corridor shooter, it kinds of.....hold up very well? In a world where every TPS game wants to be either Destiny, RDR2 or Ubi formula, I thought it was actually very refreshing to get a linear experience. The game is rather short, clocking at 5-6 hours so it was very easy to revisit on that front. Basically finished a whole playthrough yesterday in just a long afternoon.

I was good with all the scenes where you don't do much other than slowly moving forward back when the game came out, but I remember people being very angry about them. But man, putting some 2021 perspective to them, those are so much better than all the crawling spaces you'd get in games such as Fallen Order or GoW.

Also, I still firmly believe the game has the best graphics on PS4 to date. The PBR is basically unmatched. The 22:9 aspect is still a bummer though. I wish you could remove it.

I would love to get a PS5 remastered version. I'd be ok with 4k30 16:9, no joke, though 4k60 would be much more attractive.

Am I a lone wolf when it comes to this opinion?

kretos

Banned
I liked the game, the world the lore and the setting had potential but the problem it was too short and while the gameplay was good there were few gameplay sections

it's unlikely but i hope Sony give it another shot and fix these problems in the sequel

saintjules

The world they built was amazing. So sad we will never get a sequel.

Think I am going going to re-install it and start a new play through on PS5

Considering Sony currently owns the IP, I wouldn't completely give up on the possibility of a sequel.

tommib

It’s such a beautiful game. I think the backlash came from the linearity and it being short. It came in when all PlayStation exclusives were going open world and super long.

The letterbox I believe is what’s behind the amazing graphics. Less pixels to fill. Same way RE4 when it was released for the GameCube.

Kokoloko85

It was cool just not enough gameplay. Would of been great if there was alot more. The world, shooting mechanics and story was all good

I liked the game, the world the lore and the setting had potential but the problem it was too short and while the gameplay was good there were few gameplay sections

it's unlikely but i hope Sony give it another shot and fix these problems in the sequel

No, that was the gameplay. Going through a gazzilion cutscenes and having brief encounters between - thats what formes the gameplay. You dont separate the cutscenes. The entirety of the game is the gameplay - forced walks, cutscenes, talking - all gameplay. Thats why the game was poorly received, because its was a complete turd. They even copy/pasted the final fight from another fight mid game. A lazy, simplistic, automated game.

Business

At some point so many dumb as a rock enemies were spawning that I thought the game had bugged or I had to do something to trigger the next event. It was just a massive wave. Game was embarrassingly bad. The graphics were amazing tho, even if I wasn't a fan of that narrow aspect ratio.

Fredrik

I always liked it except for the boss fights. Was an 8/10 back in the days, for a long time it was among the prettiest games on console. The weapon, world, character design is still among the best.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought this game was incredibly underrated from the original launch. I'm still confused what people expected from the game.
People saw in the few preview videos a dark shooter.

They received a dark shooter..... that was extremely linear, short, could be beat in 6 hours, where half that is cut scenes. And arguably the worst repetitive boss battle ever,.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If it would have worse graphics, it would be very badly rated game. Also it's really short and I platinumed it in 5:30 hours without guide (I got 3 days before launch). So I am unsure about this game being "underrated"...

Jon Neu

Banned
Graphics hold up really well (next gen graphics so far are pretty dissapointing), but the pace is horrible and the game mechanics weren't the best either.

The sequel (if there's ever one) needs to improve and polish a lot of things.

Kupfer

Ps5 60 FPS would be amazing, I'd love to replay this (except for the cellar part right before the end).
Also I didn't understand how this black vision feature worked in the gameso I didnt use it

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

It was amazing when I played it after getting it for like $4 on a PSN sale.

yeah, it was short and has issues that are harder to ignore if you paid $60 at release. It still looked nice, had a unique setting, and was building an interesting world for sequels.

Last edited:
Never seen anything more amateur in a "AAA" game last gen than the repeat bosses that can be exploited by just standing in one spot.

Worst PS4 exclusive by far. Is it underrated? A little bit, but they'd have to really up the ante if they do a sequel, mainly making it actually fun instead of a chore to play through with QTE's and such. But it was NOT "bad", it did deserve the 60ish Metacritic rating but it had great visuals (not that big of a deal) and some decent gunplay and cover mechanics.

They could do so much more, just give its fans another game, you did it for Uncharted.

If a monetary value could be placed on this game what would you regard as a good price to buy this? I'm considering getting this but I don't want to pay much unless its worth it, PSN has it at £34.99.

Concern

Remaster??? No

Sequel? Most definitely. There's nothing to go back to after getting the platinum in a 5 hour run.

Whole game is a walking / look at rotating object simulator complete with QTE. It got the expected results considering that

Fbh

Nah. One of the most disappointing games of the gen.

The setting, art direction and visuals are amazing and definitely hold up really well.

But the combat was basic and everything else about the game was mediocre. They completely missed the point of what a cinematic game should be like.

Also 6 hours is a joke when there's basically zero replay value and half of the game is watching cutscenes, slowly walking around, looking at objects and boring QTE's.

Maybe if it had come bundled with every PS4 or if it was presented as a $20 tech showcase it would have gotten a better reception and enough interest to make a sequel that's a proper game.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I enjoyed it for what it was. Fantastic world building, cool weapons and characters and a good, compelling plot. But it was too short, too linear and too repetitive. Werewolf fights were hilariously bad, considering they were set up as main antagonists. Not able to switch weapons was stupid. And that stealth insta death sequence sucked major balls. Huge potential for a sequel though. It would be a waste not giving this IP a second chance.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Great game for $20, the devs were kind of arrogant leading up to launch. There were plenty of trouble signs like game length, the stupid forced widescreen, and being cagey about what kind of game it was.
Ultimately you should listen to the audience that you expect to pay $60 for your creation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this game was incredibly underrated from the original launch. I'm still confused what people expected from the game.

Same. It was definitely short as hell, but I really enjoyed it. Incredible visuals and a really interesting setting with competent gameplay. I played through it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it.

TonyK

I'm waiting yet the Order moment this gen. Until now we have only seen PS4 games with PC specs, but nothing graphically revolutionary like The Order was at its moment.

yurinka

I really leaked it, it excels in many areas like the game engine they created fo the game, in world building or in all the audiovisual ones, I think with some tweaks it would have been a top notch game:
-Full screen option
-A couple of hours longer
-Better, more varied final boss battles
-Tweaked level design
-Co-op
-More freedom to choose the weapon you want at the start of a level
-Reduce a bit the QTE/cinematics parts in favor of free gameplay/gunplay parts

If not in that game, maybe in a sequel. It had a lot of potential, really delivered in many fronts and almost got it in several other ones.

Last edited:

FranXico

I loved it. People got all sorts of preconceptions about it, which ruined the reception, but IMHO it's a great game. And the setting and story were awesome.
Gameplay was not given enough room to shine (there are some very enjoyable sections), stealth was poorly executed. The werewolves enemy combat design was laughable.

Setting, story and lore, those I liked very much.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never played it and I loved Gears trilogy. Finished it many times.
I finally got the game last week and want to play on my ps5. Good to hear it's not trash

ReBurn

Gold Member
It wasn't worth $60 when it launched. It's too short with no real replay value. Although the gameplay is good there's just not much of it. It's only $20 now so the cost to value ratio is better.

Vae_Victis

Banned
It was a pretty unique game, but in subtle ways. The work RAD did with framing it as an actual cinematic experience (not "cinematic" as in "you watch a lot of cutscenes", but "when you play it, even the shooting sections, it is made to look, feel and flow a bit like a movie") was absolutely stunning, and pretty much never seen before anywhere both for concept and quality of execution.

The problem was, most people didn't give a crap about that, they went in expecting a lot of shooty-shooty, and since they didn't get it they just said it was a short and dull corridor shooter. Which it really isn't to be fair, the shooting mechanics are actually pretty solid on their own right, but if you approach it expecting Gears of War or Uncharted, then yes, you probably won't like it.

It is a pretty experimental game below the surface, but in a way that attempts to mix with more traditional gameplay elements, and the end result can be difficult to read the intended way - and even if you do, you might just don't like it/don't care.

Last edited:

wipeout364

It felt like gears of PS4. I did enjoy it though had a very cool art style and setting, I agree a sequel which could fix a Lot of the issues would have been great.

Agent X

I played through it a little over a years ago. I enjoyed it for what it was. I only paid about $4 for it on PS Store, and I certainly got my money's worth. It is a rather short and linear game, so I can see why some people who paid full price at launch ended up disappointed. If you can get it for a bargain price, and don't mind the brevity and linearity, then you'll have a good time with the game.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Still looks incredible, they just have to remove the black bars for a PS5 patch.

Eqpy.gif

ChillyVillainousHypsilophodon-size_restricted.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif

87cdd972d3cb6729-.gif

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Even it being only 5-6 hours I've still yet to beat it as I've put it down on two seperate attempts at playing it out of boredom. It's a stunning looking game regardless of my opinion on the "gameplay"

Top Bottom