• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

just saw death race. Why no next gen AUTODUEL by LB and chuckles?

jax (old)

Banned
Autoduel is a 1985 computer role-playing game (CRPG) published by Origin Systems for the Atari 400 and Atari 800 (and other Atari 8-bits with OS "Transformer"), Commodore 64, Apple II series, Mac, and DOS. It was released in 1987 for the Atari ST and in 1988 for the Amiga. It was based on the Steve Jackson Games series Car Wars which also includes the GURPS Autoduel worldbook.

auto_duel_01.jpg

auto_duel_01.png

auto_duel_02.gif

auto_duel_01.gif

auto_duel_02.png

Hmm, according to wikipedia, it is a RPG. Thought it was.

I don't know how gritty full auto was but when I was young, I enjoyed the hell out of autoduel and its gritty car battles in the suburbs. There really was a role playing aspect to AUTO DUEL and its gameplay that's totally amiss in today's market. A lot of the current market driving games are adrenaline fueled race fests (burnout/nfs), driving sims or PGR4/FORZA driving games, and its high time we get a racing duel game done right.

PSone
destruction derby
twisted metal

PS2
Twisted Metal Black

Next Gen
Full Auto 1+2 ?
Twisted Metal Next Gen?

deathrace.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
LB is too busy making shitting failures and wasting money on flying to outer space, or some shit, to make any actual good games.

Pity.

I think it's been said many times, but needs to be said again. The 8bit computer era had a dearth of games and game ideas that I think would flourish with a current gen face lift or sequel: Auto Duel, Mail Order Monsters, Wasteland, PSI-5 Trading Company, Racing Destruction Set are some just off the top of my head. They did a great job with Pirates just as one example and there should be more.

By the way, remember SSI's Road War 2000? I never played it, but I certainly remember magazine ads it for back in the day.

ram

Haeleos said:
Carmageddon 2!!

i thought we were wishing for GOOD car combat games here. i would like to see a new interstate 76 game - man, THAT was awesome. yeah, i know, interstate game werent gritty and all, but made more sense than games like twisted metal and co.

I'd like to see a next gen Interstate 76. My ideal game needs tons of players, maybe 32-64 players, full customization, co-pilot/gunner positions, different scenarios (destroy/protect the fuel tanker ala Road Warrior, race, etc), realistic physics.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Andrex said:
Because the next generation of consoles hasn't been announced yet.

You know, I'd give up if I were you. There isn't anything that's going to stop people from calling these consoles "Next Gen" until the ACTUAL next generation of consoles is out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SovanJedi said:
You know, I'd give up if I were you. There isn't anything that's going to stop people from calling these consoles "Next Gen" until the ACTUAL next generation of consoles is out.

Never! I will fight this fight until it is won!

Septimus

Twisted Metal PS3 is coming out next year, right? Damn I cant wait... I remember plugging countless hours into TM2 on PS1.

Haunted

The Flatout series (1/2/UC) has good Destruction Derby style events, with powerups and all.

Also, Speed Racer and even Mario Kart (and its assortment of copycats battle kart racers). Or are those not gritty enough for you? :D

Andrex said:
Because the next generation of consoles hasn't been announced yet.
Keep fighting the good fight, I'm with you.

As others have mentioned, pretty much the only game that's been announced for current-gen (PS3) has been Twisted Metal. And it looks like the driving portions of RAGE, announced for current-gen consoles (PS360 - and the PC) will have a battle element to them as well.

Huggy

I believe the arcade version of the original got banned from arcades.

The movie was pretty bad though.
Especially the part where "Frankenstein" is said to be wearing a mask because he's so horribly disfigured, and when he takes it off in dramatic scene it's just plain old Carradine with no make-up or any special effect whatsoever.

Huggy said:
The movie was pretty bad though.
Especially the part where "Frankenstein" is said to be wearing a mask because he's so horribly disfigured, and when he takes it off in dramatic scene it's just plain old Carradine with no make-up or any special effect whatsoever.
Shortcut ->

So awesome.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, Autoduel is one of those games I've always meant to play, but never found a copy of. I knew of it ages ago, when my Atari computer wasn't ENTIRELY out of date -- it was a 1 year old Atari XE Game System!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Wasn't Carmageddon loosely based on DR2000? Hasn't Midway run out out of excuses now to not make a new Carmageddon?

jax (old)

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
That's a good poster for the remake. Much better than the ones I had seen.

definitely check out the remake (movie). its OTT and very fun viewing. Statham is kickass in it. More fun to me than CRANK.

the key thinking missing in all the listed car carnage titles is a role playing aspect. I think it'll add a certain factor missing from all these games at the moment. Twisted Metal is neat but without a focus on one central character (you), its more akin to a fighting game with cars. The car combat is spot on though.

PERSISTENT WORLD + CAR COMBAT + RPG ELEMENTS = AWESOMENESS!

Vorador

Banned
Wasn't there a VERY old PC game (like 96-97 old) that wasn't Carmageddon and let you run around on a car or by foot blowing up stuff in "arenas" and picking up items and the like?

PD: It wasn't Death Rally. Environments were 3D.

neorej said:
Wasn't Carmageddon loosely based on DR2000? Hasn't Midway run out out of excuses now to not make a new Carmageddon?
Carmageddon is SCi

Danne-Danger said:
Fixed, goddamnit.
GOD DAMNIT

Death Track Resurrection english version is coming out soon. It's not very good, but at least it's better than these shitty console franchises listed.

jax (old)

Banned
i hate bees said:
Modders are all over this it seems, Crysis Deathrace

it had no terrain/veg..etc but you know what, the incar view seemed to look just right (as did the racing). The shooting/gunplay also seemed spot on. wow. I was kind of impressed.

Too bad statham's not big enough a name for the filmmakers to rally behind and release a licensed title/game.

Jax said:
definitely check out the remake (movie). its OTT and very fun viewing. Statham is kickass in it. More fun to me than CRANK.

I did. I'm one of the few Paul Anderson fans out there. Not as "good" as the original, but fun in its own way.

Top Bottom