• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just shaking my head at EA/Dice (Battlefield 5)...

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
They have an engine and IP perfect to hit the BR scene with an incredible BR mode, they have the talent to put out the best shooters, they have an insanely popular game mode (Conquest) that is still sorta unrivaled in the shooter space at the scale they do it, they have a fan base who stuck with them through bf4 despite how long it took for them to get it together (its awesome now btw), and yet Dice and EA have taken the simple layup that Battlefield 5 should have been and completely bricked it. This stuff should be easy for them.

Even if you view BF1 as a step back, you would have to think they would come back swinging. Instead we get really bizarre marketing, a game that looks like a bf1 WW2 mod, no BR on release, basically no attachment system or gun depth other than some perk trees (which already hurt bf1), low release gun count, 3 boring single player missions set in multiplayer maps, and a panic mode game delay?

Its obvious that Dice cannot handle 1 year dev cycles, and it sucks that the rushed out Battlefront games (which should have been layups as well) are hurting the Battlefield franchise.

I have hope that criterion can make a good BR with BF5s mechanics, but with no attachment system and likely a low player base I don't see how it will survive. Dice has almost completely lost me on the base game though. I don't think they can get back to BF4 levels with the current direction they are going.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For me what is strange to me is how the story shows... i mean i can pass the fact of Woman in WW2 and the cover art is great, but I do not understand is like being a war that many people remember as Bloody and such much horror, show absurd scenes like a Snowman in middle of the battle? is so stupid or doing goffy stuffs, i mean... They cant show a point of view of German Army not to hurt the sensitivity of the memory, but they can show scenes like these are very funny and irreal?

A.Romero

Personally I played the Beta and kind of liked it. It was OK although the game felt differently somehow. It reminded me of how I remember CoD feels (I don't follow that series, last one I played was MW3 and only the SP campaign).

I played with a friend that hated BF1 and really liked BFV so I'm really curious what actually changed...

I played BF1 way less than BF4 but not because I didn't like the game, it does has it's merits but mostly because I play with my friends and it's been hard to play together for the last couple of years.

I normally play BF campaigns and enjoy them for what they are but it's the only online shooter I actually play (although recently I've been putting some time on Squad and I spent a few hours on Destiny 2 after getting it with Plus). I haven't followed the stuff they've been talking about historic accuracy, diversity, etc. I guess I'm a bad BF fan because weapon variety never was something I truly cared for, specially on BF1 where I never put the effort to understand the perk system and such.

I don't think I'll be getting this on release unless my friends do. I might even try it through Origin premier first and decide later.

cryptoadam

Banned
EA shot itself in the foot sales wise. BFV is going to underpeform no doubt about it. But the game itself will be the same DICE goodness we get with BF game in and game out.

Right now though COD is eating their lunch with Blackout and I don't know if/how firestrom will be able to stack up. Outside of a 2 second teaser we know almost nothing about Firestorm. Who knows when it will even launch with DICE it could be 6 months to a year from now. Not having a BR mode while Blackout is dethroning games like PUBG is going to hurt a lot.

But me personally not a huge fan of BR modes. The game will be as good as ever even with all the complaining and whining but I understand that there are a lot of games and this might not catch the attention of gamers who have a lot of choices.

Catphish

I think the amount of dogpiling I'm seeing on this game is borderline comical.

It's not out for another month. Maybe the emergency delay is the thing that saves it. Maybe not.

The point is, nobody knows. It'll have its day in court, just like the rest of them. Relax.

Stuart360

I'm sure thetre is more than 1 Dice team that works on both franchises. Also i thought Battlefield 5 did have a battle royal mode?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Personally I played the Beta and kind of liked it. It was OK although the game felt differently somehow. It reminded me of how I remember CoD feels (I don't follow that series, last one I played was MW3 and only the SP campaign).

I played with a friend that hated BF1 and really liked BFV so I'm really curious what actually changed...

I played BF1 way less than BF4 but not because I didn't like the game, it does has it's merits but mostly because I play with my friends and it's been hard to play together for the last couple of years.

I normally play BF campaigns and enjoy them for what they are but it's the only online shooter I actually play (although recently I've been putting some time on Squad and I spent a few hours on Destiny 2 after getting it with Plus). I haven't followed the stuff they've been talking about historic accuracy, diversity, etc. I guess I'm a bad BF fan because weapon variety never was something I truly cared for, specially on BF1 where I never put the effort to understand the perk system and such.

I don't think I'll be getting this on release unless my friends do. I might even try it through Origin premier first and decide later.
I don't doubt that the core is still fun, and I am still going to play it when my copy comes from gamefly, but my big gripe is that they took all of the weapon progression, gear decisions, and depth out of the weapons in bf1, and seem to have left them out in BF5, but added in weapon skill trees (which I think is really stupid). Combine that with so few guns and you have a severe lack of depth to the gameplay that will bore me quick.

I really hope when they go back to modern day with BF6 (if a BF6 gets made) that they bring back all the attachments and gun tuning stuff that I loved from bf3 and bf4.

I'm sure thetre is more than 1 Dice team that works on both franchises. Also i thought Battlefield 5 did have a battle royal mode?

COD managed to get their BR mode at launch, Firestorm, BF5's BR, isn't coming till next year probably. How they didn't have a BR mode ready is beyond me.

It's not out for another month. Maybe the emergency delay is the thing that saves it. Maybe not.

The point is, nobody knows. It'll have its day in court, just like the rest of them. Relax.

Going off what we have seen they haven't changed enough from bf1 to really fix all the issues the community had with that game. Basically people want an upgraded BF3/4 and we are getting a side-graded bf1.

Last edited:

Dunki

They bought it up to themselves with the do not like it do not buy it quote and the insulting of their oown audience criticzing the game. This game will fail financially and it is all their own fault.

manfestival

Criterion is developing the BR mode. There are more than 1 teams for Dice. The main 2 are developing Battlefront and Battlefield.

Catphish

They bought it up to themselves with the do not like it do not buy it quote and the insulting of their oown audience criticzing the game. This game will fail financially and it is all their own fault.
Yeah, but, wasn't that said by one guy? And isn't that guy gone from the company? Maybe I'm getting that part mixed up but, regardless, just because one asshat says something stupid, that means we punish the collective?

Dunki

Yeah, but, wasn't that said by one guy? And isn't that guy gone from the company? Maybe I'm getting that part mixed up but, regardless, just because one asshat says something stupid, that means we punish the collective?
BY keeping quite and also giving inteviews about it they accept thsi as a Studios answer and opinion.. All they needed to do was to say that he does not reflect the Sudios Opinion and move on. But they did not instead they reacted like they were suddendly scared of the success of the game. Trying to do different marketing, trying to ignore this issue etc. They are responsible for Battlefield V to become the biggest failure in this year and holiday season.

MDSLKTR

Way too many EA fuck ups this gen to list, but basically it all went downhill since this gentleman left:

john_riccitiello.0_cinema_960.0.0.0.jpg

Now they're about to butcher their last core franchise for good. If it wasn't for Fifa they'de be selling themselves to Microsoft for pennies.

Way too many EA fuck ups this gen to list, but basically it all went downhill since this gentleman left:
Now they're about to butcher their last core franchise for good. If it wasn't for Fifa they'de be selling themselves to Microsoft for pennies.

And Fifa is at serious risk too now with that lawsuit in Belgium. It won't be EU wide immediately but it will pave the way for a big hit to their cashcow.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Unless that delay removes the insulting "cosmetics" bullshit, adds a gigantic ass "WE'RE SORRY FOR BEING PRICKS" sign during loading, and treats WW2 like the serious thing it is without trying to cater to "diversity" quotas, I just can't see the game being "saved".

Catphish

Unless that delay removes the insulting "cosmetics" bullshit, adds a gigantic ass "WE'RE SORRY FOR BEING PRICKS" sign during loading, and treats WW2 like the serious thing it is without trying to cater to "diversity" quotas, I just can't see the game being "saved".
I'm with you on the cosmetics bit, but I still think it's silly to demand a corporate apology because of the glib snark of a single dude. Fuck that guy. If the game ends up being awesome, would you not play it just because of that guy?

Woo-Fu

Banned
While none of the drama about historical accuracy matters to me not choosing modern or near future era and releasing without major content do.

I want more combined arms combat, I want helicopters, I want boats(evidently these will show up at some point after release), and I want a BR mode with broad appeal instead of trying to be something specifically BF-style that nobody is going to play a week after launch. At this point it sounds like tank platoon BR which means don't bother playing unless you have a premade that plays together all the time.

Last edited:
wow I didn't realize Firestorm wouldn't be released at the...release of the game? What is with devs these days, they think we will all throw down $60 for promises of a real complete game sometime in the future

A.Romero

I don't doubt that the core is still fun, and I am still going to play it when my copy comes from gamefly, but my big gripe is that they took all of the weapon progression, gear decisions, and depth out of the weapons in bf1, and seem to have left them out in BF5, but added in weapon skill trees (which I think is really stupid). Combine that with so few guns and you have a severe lack of depth to the gameplay that will bore me quick.

I really hope when they go back to modern day with BF6 (if a BF6 gets made) that they bring back all the attachments and gun tuning stuff that I loved from bf3 and bf4.

To me the attachment stuff was actually an improvement on BF1 to some degree. I lost interest in unlockables in BF3 and 4 pretty quick and once I found stuff I was comfortable with I seldom changed it. On BF1 I did miss unlocking more stuff other than skins that I will never ever use... Right now I have like 10 crates on my account that I've never bothered to open because I just don't care.

I played BF2 for many hours when it came out but never unlocked everything and felt kind of annoyed that I didn't get to see all the weapons too...

So I don't know, I'm kind of conflicted. Unlockables provide a sense of achievement but at the same time it's annoying to have to play a certain amount of time (longer if you suck like me) to be able to use all the weapons...

mckmas8808

Banned

john_riccitiello.0_cinema_960.0.0.0.jpg

EA would never be sold to MS. MS couldn't reasonably afford EA to be honest.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
To me the attachment stuff was actually an improvement on BF1 to some degree. I lost interest in unlockables in BF3 and 4 pretty quick and once I found stuff I was comfortable with I seldom changed it. On BF1 I did miss unlocking more stuff other than skins that I will never ever use... Right now I have like 10 crates on my account that I've never bothered to open because I just don't care.

I played BF2 for many hours when it came out but never unlocked everything and felt kind of annoyed that I didn't get to see all the weapons too...

So I don't know, I'm kind of conflicted. Unlockables provide a sense of achievement but at the same time it's annoying to have to play a certain amount of time (longer if you suck like me) to be able to use all the weapons...

I want them to take their BF4 system and make it more complex and involved. Add a ton of different attachments that allow a lot of variety in gun builds. PUBGs attachment system is sort of what I am looking for but more broad, not just the "These 4 attachments are the best, always use them" that bf4 had.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I want them to take their BF4 system and make it more complex and involved. Add a ton of different attachments that allow a lot of variety in gun builds. PUBGs attachment system is sort of what I am looking for but more broad, not just the "These 4 attachments are the best, always use them" that bf4 had.

It sounds good. What about progression? Would you rather have it unlocks per class (like BF2) or by weapon (like BF4)?

Or would it be better to have everything unlocked at once?

Snoopycat

Banned
Played the beta, I couldn't find much that was new or interesting. It really could have been BF1 dlc, that's how little progress there seemed to be. Also DICE have been removing more and more stuff with each sequel. BF3/4 had loads of weapons and stuff to unlock. BF1 had fuck all. BF5 looks like it too will have fuck all. My biggest problem though is how bland it was. It was all so fucking meh. I definitely wouldn't pay any more than £10 for it, which means I might have to wait until January. heh.

kunonabi

Its funny, I have 0 interest in shooters most of the time but black ops 4 has looked super appealing where as battlefield 5 just hasn't. Do the COD games run on the same schedule because BO4 looks so much more content rich.

Shai-Tan

Banned
All I need to see are good maps with vehicles and destruction and they haven't shown that yet to my satisfaction so I'll probably watch Stoddeh and other twitch streamers play it to let the game soak in before I make a decision. I ultimately didn't buy BF1 after watching other people play but some people like it so maybe I did miss something. Anyway, still hoping to see some good structured maps that feel like Battlefield I played in BF3 and BF4. The beta played like an oversized CoD map

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Been playing since the original PC Battlefield 1942 days(still have the discs!) and this is the first BF I don't buy on release. I'm just not feeling it nor seeing anything that genuinely gives
me the urge to give EA/Dice my money this iteration.

bigedole

BF4 was the only PS4 game I owned (other than free PS+ shit) for the first 4 months I had a PS4. I must've spent hundreds of hours playing with my friends, and even though it had its bugs we loved it so god damn much. Just looked up my player stats, level 131 and 359 hours dang. I'm sad that I just have no interest in going back to it. Lots of great memories.

Texas Pride

Banned
This is the first BF game ever I'm not buying. Their insulting tone to fans and chalking up ANY valid criticism as sexism or misogyny is part of it. Another is the direction of the game. Once the casuals drop it within the first month they're fucked. Shitting on people who support every BF game in favor or casuals and a political agenda deserves it's fate at the bottom of the trash heap.

Last edited:

Mojoraisin

Add me to the list of not buyers this time around as a fan since 42. Mostly because DICE attitude, shitting on their fans and forced diversity agenda. It also looks too COD-like in gameplay for my tastes.

One thing I don't understand is the constant requests for MOAR unlockables, MOAR weapon customisation etc etc. BF1 had way too much uninteresting shit devs spend a lot of time on, instead of improving game mechanics . Also putting it behind paywalls for microtransactions. Is that what people want? Isn't getting better at the game reward enough without getting a new rank or a pink coloured silencer? Obviously not and I guess I'm in the minority and old school here. Gameplay being addictive, balanced and fun should be more than enough to keep people playing longer than a barely visible weapons skin.

Wish they had all the weapons unlocked from the start. Know it will never happen though. :)

Top Bottom