• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just shut up and remake Mario 64 Nintendo

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
So I was playing Metroid Prime Remastered and I figured you know, Nintendo don't make games as good as they used to. I like this. An old better Nintendo game with better graphics.

Mario 64 needs a bit more cleaning up because it's an older game so give it new 3D Mario physics, re imagined graphics and settings, new stars, with all the old levels and some new ones.

space-great.gif

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Remake SMW or SMB3 as a 3D game. That would be a dream come too.

pray-lord.gif

Dare I even say, make them open world?

Edit: Relax, people. It's just a wish. "pie_tears_joy:

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
a minor graphical update which costs 40 dollars and can easily be emulated on dolphin??

well again, just get the 3d all stars collection! :)
To be fair, even the Metroid Prime remaster is miles above of what Super Mario 64 was in that collection...
Seriously, 4:3 aspect ratio, and 720p@30fps.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Remake SMW or SMB3 as a 3D game. That would be a dream come too.

pray-lord.gif
those games strengths come from being 2d, the fast platforming, difficult gameplay and many secrets only work because of 2d being easier to make and easier to have more complex and difficult gameplay in. imo wouldn't make much sense. besides with how vanilla, safe and bland Nintendo is these days all the charm would be stripped out
just play 3d world if you want a 3d take on the 2d formula

fart town usa

Gold Member
they did in 2005 :)
My immediate thought when I read the thread title. 1st post too, well done.

I like playing Mario 64 DS via the Wii U cause you can use the analog stick, still nowhere near as fluid as the actual 64 title but it feels pretty good for what it is.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
those games strengths come from being 2d, the fast platforming, difficult gameplay and many secrets only work because of 2d being easier to make and easier to have more complex and difficult gameplay in. imo wouldn't make much sense. besides with how vanilla, safe and bland Nintendo is these days all the charm would be stripped out
just play 3d world if you want a 3d take on the 2d formula
I meant take the setting and characters and make a 3d game out of them. lmao

3D World is kinda bland in that regard, but the gameplay is solid.

Haven't you learned Nintendo rarely, if ever, do these kind of things that fans crave the most? The stuff that would make the most sense to the fans.

And if they do, they do it in a really disappointing way, like sith Super Mario 3D Allstars.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldn’t mind it, but I’ve played Mario 64 so many times already I don’t think I’d be super excited for it.

BlackTron

Nintendo games are just as good now as they were back then. Mario Odyssey is wonderous and many people consider BoTW to be the best Zelda game to date.
Mario Odyssey was nice but no 64. BotW is the best-selling Zelda but an increase in popularity doesn't necessarily point to a better game. There are many worse games than Metroid that sell a lot better.

Nintendo is doing fine but come on. Odyssey and BotW "just as good" as SM64 and OOT? No way. They were great on a technical level and it was a breath of fresh air that they were simply not sucking.

I already said this in the Prime remaster thread, the reason they won't do it is because it would highlight how much better the old games were if they got good remakes and cannibalize their business of selling 30 million copies of copy/pasted content with cel shaded graphics. I don't even blame them, now that they figured out the formula works I wouldn't screw it up lol.

Mario Odyssey was nice but no 64. BotW is the best-selling Zelda but an increase in popularity doesn't necessarily point to a better game. There are many worse games than Metroid that sell a lot better.

Nintendo is doing fine but come on. Odyssey and BotW "just as good" as SM64 and OOT? No way. They were great on a technical level and it was a breath of fresh air that they were simply not sucking.

I already said this in the Prime remaster thread, the reason they won't do it is because it would highlight how much better the old games were if they got good remakes and cannibalize their business of selling 30 million copies of copy/pasted content with cel shaded graphics. I don't even blame them, now that they figured out the formula works I wouldn't screw it up lol.
Mario 64 is a great game and an amazing game for 1996. But Odyssey blows it out of the water in absolutely every capacity. I feel like a lot of people haven’t played SM64 in a long long time.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Banned
So I was playing Metroid Prime Remastered and I figured you know, Nintendo don't make games as good as they used to. I like this. An old better Nintendo game with better graphics.

Mario 64 needs a bit more cleaning up because it's an older game so give it new 3D Mario physics, re imagined graphics and settings, new stars, with all the old levels and some new ones.

space-great.gif

if you change the physics you also change a big part of what makes this game what it is.

if they remade Mario 64 with new physics the fans of the original would go berserk

DeezNutz

Banned
Nintendo games are just as good now as they were back then. Mario Odyssey is wonderous and many people consider BoTW to be the best Zelda game to date.
You must be living in a non flushing toilet,Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is universally considered the Best Zelda Of all time and rated higher then BOTE,and the most influential game of all time,Breath of the Wild not a Zelda game,infact it's a bad zelda game,empty boring open world,questionable gameplay mechanics, and Nintendo games have been on a decline in terms of creative talent...Nintendo doesnt make games as good as they used to...BOTW sucked

calistan

Mario 64 is a great game and an amazing game for 1996. But Odyssey blows it out of the water in absolutely every capacity. I feel like a lot of people haven’t played SM64 in a long long time.
Mario 64 is tight. Odyssey is bloated and unfocused. Probably 20% of the moons are the equivalent of getting a passing grade just for writing your name at the top of the exam paper. And forcing you to shake a goddamn handheld to access some of the moves, when there are unused / duplicate controller buttons available... You can tell Miyamoto didn't have much to do with this one.

It holds up reasonably well, as most of Nintendo’s best games tend to do. But it’s very old. I’d rather they make a new game

MagnesD3

Yeah I thought of this too when I saw how good MP looked, definitely a piss off. I've been waiting for an awesome Super Mario 64 Remake for along time.

a minor graphical update which costs 40 dollars and can easily be emulated on dolphin??

well again, just get the 3d all stars collection! :)
You mean the game Nintendo de-listed and stopped selling in March 2021? 😊

And there’s nothing minor about MP Remastered. It’s a full graphical remake with new 3D models, new textures, and new lighting. Literally the opposite of what you’re saying. Maybe watch the Digital Foundry video comparing the two before glibly writing it off.

Agreed that MP is of a quality that's rarely seen by Nintendo these days.
That's a demake.
I've played them last year back to back. Odyssey for the first time, Mario 64 for the first time in at least over a decade. The control of Mario 64 is still unmatched, Odyssey feels like controlling a sack of rice in comparison - Mario's flexibility is way too handicapped and core moves like the dive forward became less intuitive to pull off for no reason. Also, "mash A to swim" in a 3D game? Just no.

Last edited:

BlackTron

if you change the physics you also change a big part of what makes this game what it is.

if they remade Mario 64 with new physics the fans of the original would go berserk

This. Mario 64 needs to get what Prime got, a heavy remaster, running on top of old or minimally updated code. Halo CE Anniversary pretty much just not full of problems/bad decisions.

Top Bottom