• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just watched Interstellar; need space games that recreate exploration/loneliness

A shitty hollywood movie made you think that? Stop being a fucking pleb

There is already a game that explore loneliness and memories in space in the most effective, atmospheric way (and it's a pretty good survival horror also). It's practically a "Solaris" videogame interpretation. Edit: it also reminds me that anime movie segment in "Memories"

Echo Night: Beyond https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyzcaY80UIU

Stop playing american games and watching hollywood movies. They'll make you more retarded

Ha, I had to check the post history after this gem. Holy shit do you think incredibly lowly of Americans.

EGM1966

Exploring and charting systems in Elite definately offers this experience. Eve online did too.

No Man's Sky should offer this too.

What, wait? I own the base game. Whats the non sensible issue with the expansion?

The expansion costs $60, it includes the base game. There was a loyalty discount at some point if you preordered for something like $15 off if you own the base game but I don't know if that is still available. Someone else may be more familiar with the specifics. The issues is there is no simple upgrade price for the expansion, it costs the same for all but those without the base game will get the whole package. So it makes sense to wait for the expansion if you want both and you own nothing. It's really dumb.

Mindwipe

Coming at this from a different angle: I'd recommend Out There. It started life as a mobile game (it's the only version I've played so far) but is available on Steam in an enhanced format. It's like FTL except there's no ship combat. Instead you're trying to keep your ship alive, so you need to take on resources and explore planets for fuel, components, etc. Multiple endings, very roguelike.

This is what I would have said. There's a lot about the little diary entries you read that conveys the solitude.

The Swapper?

TheSwapperVita_010.jpg

I concede it is not in free space, but it is heavily space themed and you're a spaceman. It's also one of the lonelier games you can play. Beautiful art, devious puzzles and a pretty awesome narrative too.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, this might totally be different, but Alien Isolation captures that feeling for me very well. Isolation in a space station. Its atmosphere is phenomenal. I wish more games showed how horrifyingly destructive the Universe can be (not suggesting that Alien Isolation does such a thing, it's just a separate thought). It's amazing.

Burny

@OP: While neither No Man's Sky nor Star Citizen are out (the latter of which I very much doubt will make for a good exploration game, as the concept doesn't include a procedurally generated galaxy) - have a look at Elite Dangerous!

Season 1 is heavily discounted (~15$) now, because season 2 (including planetary landings!) will probably be out some time in December. You can still play season 1 with the season 2 players for as long as you want though or eventually upgrade to season 2, as well as directly go for season 2, which will only let you play when it's out, but also give you all season 1 features.

It has ~400 billion star systems that you can explore and tag with your CMDR's name if you've made the discovery. Loneliness describes the exploration in the game pretty well. ;-)

Also: For anybody thinking of picking this up - don't hesitate to play with mouse & keyboard or a gamepad, it's perfectly workable that way. The default configuration is just a bit poor. :p The 600$/€ HOTAS/pedals/headtracking setups are entirely optional for crazy people like me, who'd like a bit more flair. ;p

The game has a pretty steep learning curve for the base mechanics, which is all the more rewarding if you get it. If you should run into any issues, come to the OT and you'll find help or a place to rage about the game's shortcomings. ;)

The expansion costs $60, it includes the base game. There was a loyalty discount at some point if you preordered for something like $15 off if you own the base game but I don't know if that is still available. Someone else may be more familiar with the specifics. The issues is there is no simple upgrade price for the expansion, it costs the same for all but those without the base game will get the whole package. So it makes sense to wait for the expansion if you want both and you own nothing. It's really dumb.
Have you played XCOM?

The base game, Enemy Unknown, was $30
The expansion, Enemy Within, was $30

That kind of pricing isn't new. Why are people getting so upset about Elite

Have you played XCOM?

The base game, Enemy Unknown, was $30
The expansion, Enemy Within, was $30

That kind of pricing isn't new. Why are people getting so upset about Elite

I'm not upset. I just wish I could recommend the current vanilla sale price to friends but right now it doesn't make sense because they will want the expansion. I personally have the expansion preordered. The price doesn't bother me, it's the current situation where I have friends that would like to play but are holding back from buying because season 2 is around the corner, that is dumb. An upgrade path from base game to expansion would fix that.

I also just want to make sure new buyers are aware.

Waaghals

Kerbal Space Program is good, though I have only dabbled in it. It should allow you to recreate most of the things done in the movie.

Elite Dangerous might also be a good one, it really gives you the feeling of exploring a galaxy, even if it is rather desolate. The style is very different from the mostly grounded aesthetic from Interstellar though.
I can't understand the people posting No Man's Sky. The game may very well be great, but it isn't even out yet, and it does seem to have a completely different "feel" than interstellar.

My recommendation is KSP.

Jedi2016

Elite Dangerous definitely has my vote. I don't think NMS really fits the bill, because you're never really alone, there's NPCs everywhere you look even if you never come across another player. When you go exploring in Elite, you're definitely on your own. I'm not even that far out right now, but even if I wanted to go straight back to Earth this minute, it would take hours just to get back to human-occupied space.

MikeyB

Old school and overpriced (seriously Ambrosia, wth) and Mac-only, but the Escape Velocity series nails that feeling in the outer systems.

KORNdoggy

while it's not space. i'd seriously recommend SOMA for this sort of vibe. it's underwater. but it feel so alien, and so lonely. it's awesome.

Glad the OP found lots of answers. I didnt know some of the smaller games some people posted here, so thanks for that also.

There is already a game that explore loneliness and memories in space in the most effective, atmospheric way (and it's a pretty good survival horror also). It's practically a "Solaris" videogame interpretation. Edit: it also reminds me that anime movie segment in "Memories"

Stop playing american games and watching hollywood movies. They'll make you more retarded

Holy shit, i know you are banned already (and desrve it) but looking at your post history. WTF, you sound like a 16 year old who just saw 2 Miyazaki movies and played some obscure japanese rpgs last year and think japanese culture is the best thing ever.

Kerbal is an awesome game. Their is a lot of exploration and loneliness in it although a lot of that aspect is locked behind your ability to reach it. You can't start exploring the Moon if you can't even get a ship off the ground. If you are interested in putting the time in then I think it can really fulfill your wants of a deep and atmospheric space game but you should go in knowing that you will spend the first few hours just trying to get a ship into orbit.

I'll double down on the KSP recommendation.
nqBN00Wl.jpg

ynX8Fbdl.jpg

9z5zGDWl.jpg

This is what I would have said. There's a lot about the little diary entries you read that conveys the solitude.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those! I wrote my original comment on a phone so I didn't get to elaborate, but Out There feels more forlorn and isolating than FTL did. This is especially true when you wander from system to system hoping that you'll be able to restock/refuel enough to stay alive, and finding half the time that the only planets in the system offer you elements you don't need. It's a great little game, definitely one of my favourite mobile games (and no F2P microtransaction nonsense or any of that, it's a pay-once-get-everything game like traditional console/PC games).

Hey OP, I was looking for pretty much the same thing so I bought Elite Dangerous earlier this week. It definitely scratched that itch for me. The learning curve in Elite Dangerous can be a little steep at first but stick with it.

I started out my career in ED just hauling cargo between ports, now I'm starting to sprinkle in some smuggling of illicit cargo because it pays so much better. As a smuggler you'll have to avoid authorities between stops, they will try to pull you out of hyper space, sometimes it feels like they are just waiting for you. You also have to avoid scans when you pull into space stations to deliver your illegal cargo.

The exploration is also very fun and another great way to make some extra cash buy selling your cartography data. At the very least make sure you scan the stars as you jump from system to system. There is also mining, mercenary work and bounty hunting but I havent got into that stuff yet.

ED definitely can be overwhelming in its scope and scale, the first time you pull up the galaxy map and zoom out to see yourself lost in a swarm of stars and then start calculating routes to get where you need to be is almost disorienting. There is just no limit to where you can go and the galaxy is just amazingly mind blowingly insanely giganticly humongous. Its really one of the things I love about this game.

Im playing ED on the xbox and it is still an amazing experience but from what I have read PC is even better becuase of the ability to use a flight stick. Still totally worth it for the xbox though if you only have that.

Probably No Man's Sky, but then again....

One thing I loved about Interstellar was not only the sense of scale but also the soundtrack. I got hooked on Space Engine (free to download, too) and just flew around, setting up cool eclipses and scenes that looked pretty.

Since everyone has already said Elite Dangerous, I'll recommend Star Control 2. It's an older game, but it does exploration and gives the loneliness vibe perfectly. The space combat is one of my favorites too.

starflight-usa-europe-v1-1.png

I might recommend Starflight on Genesis, a remake of the earlier Starflight II for PC. The series preceded and influenced Star Control. It involves a lot of exploration of lonely star systems, setting down on alien worlds to gather resources that you can sell to beef up your ship. It gives you a good sense of really being out of place among the stars, never knowing what you're going to run into. It doesn't look or sound all that hot, but it's fun.

SpotAnime

This thread is right up my alley. Been looking for a good space exploration game in lieu of NMS. Bought Elite Dangerous based on all the recommendations in this thread.

This game is so nice, it's made by just one guy and was the first of the modern space sims with seamless planet landing, there is no borders or portals, you can just explore the space, you are not on a black 3D box with a cool skybox, you can really feel the loneliness of the universe.

I can't believe I had this in my library and didn't even know it. Must have been part of a bundle or something. Will definitely be installing this in short order.

Anyone have any experience with Planet Explorers? More of a crafting/survival game but looked kinda cool. Gave me a Martian vibe upon first impression.

I keep on name dropping it, but Lifeless Planet. Especially if you're into 2001 and Solaris, too.

lifeless-planet.gif

Forgot I had this, too.

It's probably not quite the space game you're after, OP, but I'd highly recommend Metroid Prime 3. It's my least-liked of the Metroid Prime games, but there is a section in the game which covered the Valhalla ship. My word...it's lonely, creepy and very scary.

Nokterian

X3 Albion Prelude is for you. (dont look at x Rebirth)

Exploration is a big part of this Simulation game with over 150 (or so) Systems that can be lonely or busy. thousands of thousands of Stations to trade with or just create your own Stations and make an Empire with your own ships from little Scouts to tradeships to Fighters to bombers to Frigates to Destroyers and lastly Carriers.

I will buy this one also then.

kinn

Also, for iOS you should totally try Lifeline which is a text adventure which takes place in real time where you need to help a single survivor of a space shuttle crash survive on an alien world.

It's really good.
Agreed. Its pretty much like those choose your own adventure books.

nded

Yeah, watching 2001: A Space Odyssey probably made the Japanese devs that made that game more retarded. Even Solaris was a direct response to 2001.

/s Also, good riddance.

Koralsky

OP, actually, we (small Eastern Europe studio) are working on a game inspired by legendary science fiction writers like Stanisław Lem and Arthur Clarke. It’s a non-horror exploration title (with more than one location) with VR and non VR versions on the cards.

We are preparing teaser announcement, which will debut in a couple of weeks.

Here’s some WIP screens – first ever publicly released from the game:

pic1.jpg

---
pic2.png

---
pic3.png

Top Bottom