• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just watched the extended cut of Batman v Superman

Shantae

Banned
I think I saw the theatrical cut maybe twice, once in the theater, and maybe once more on blu-ray at some point. I didn't actively hate it like a lot of people, but I was always a bit luke warm on it. It had potential to be better than it was, and as someone who didn't read a whole lot of comics as a kid, BUT did read the Death and Return of Superman when they were new, I didn't like that this was how Doomsday was handled, or the poor way Superman dying was handled in the movie.

I felt like checking out the extended cut of this just to see if it added anything worthwhile. Most of the time extended versions of movies don't, but I must admit, it did improve this movie a little. It's still not perfect, but it was an improvement. I felt like it gave the movie room to breath, and that scenes actually had better pacing to them. While Luthor's motivations are still questionable in this cut, his schemes are much more developed, and you can actually understand what his plan was better. In the theatrical cut, people blaming Superman for the desert incident, and for the Capitol blowing up didn't make a ton of sense, but this version has more dialogue explaining those incidents better also. It wasn't that they though Superman shot the people in the desert, but that his involvement lead to the deaths of innocents. And the Capitol blowing up felt pointless in the theatrical version, because people knew right away that he didn't cause the explosion, but in this version, they explain better how it just helped divide people on Superman again. It just felt like I was finally watching a movie that had some plot, instead of one where scenes are just thrown together.

Luthor's motivations though are still very muddy, because this version still emphasized that Luthor doesn't trust Superman, and he uses his methods to take away public trust. Wants Batman to kill him once he steals the kryptonite, but then I'm confused why he made Doomsday...if he wanted Superman dead so that there wasn't a kryptonian there to destroy the world, why does he make Doomsday...that part still doesn't make much sense to me. He acts like he's trying to save the world from Superman, but then he makes Doomsday, AND in this version he contacts Darkseid. His plans to turn the public against Superman make it seem like he's trying to save Earth, but then he does things where it seems like he's trying to destroy it.

The conflict of Batman V Superman is still a bit of weak sauce as well, mostly because the movie still has a problem with how easily Batman is convinced not to kill Superman when he says "Martha!". However, I will admit, I felt like this cut also made the whole Martha scene slightly okay, because prior to Superman going to fight Batman, Luthor kept saying "Bring me the head of the bat, and Martha lives"...it just felt like Superman saying the name was a little more justified, because that's how Luthor referred to her. I think Batman's motivation for wanting to get rid of Superman make some sense, but he is just too quick to going around to trusting him. There needed to be a better turn for him, something that convinced him that Superman was a good guy.

I appreciate that this version had some kind of funeral scenes for Superman at the end also. Since Death of Superman was a super big deal in the comics, the theatrical cut did nothing to make it feel like it had any weight to it. Even though you know he's back in the sequel, the Death of Superman needed to be handled where you thought he might not come back like the comics did. At least they try to show a world in mourning in this cut though. The original version just felt like it kinda ends after the battle.

What was the consensus on this extended version? All criticism for the movie when it came out are obviously based on the theatrical cut, but I feel like this version addresses some of that criticism. It actually made me wish that the DCEU turned out better. If anything, it makes me interested to see Synder Cut for Justice League now. The theater version of that was a forgettable mess.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I doubt a re-cut could save that movie. It was a mess.

The core problem is that by that point, Marvel had already ended their first phase of the MCU on a high note with Avengers Assemble. DC saw that what they were doing was working and wanted a piece of the pie, so instead of giving each hero their own movie with time to flesh them out and allow the audience to get to know that version of the character, they shoved a Man of Steel sequel, a Batman movie and the introduction of Wonder Woman / Justice League into a blender and hoped for the best. There's no real way to get around that with an edit.

Elcid

Banned
tenor.gif

Pejo

Still haven't watched this movie, now that you mention it OP. I did see Justice League though, not sure if that's before or after this movie in the timeline but that scene where Supes watches the flash run at full speed and blows him out was great.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
My 3 biggest gripes:

1. It was way too much for one movie. Lex Luthor should've been introduced in Man of Steel 2. Batfleck should've been introduced in his own film. Wonder Woman should've been out first. These movies all would've made a gazillion dollars (and did, in Wonder Woman's case) and they would've set the stage for Batman vs Superman so Warner Bros could get their billion blockbuster. Instead we have to be rapidly introduced to these new characters over the course of an hour while the movie also tries to move forward its own Luthor scheme plot. It doesn't work well.

2. Doomsday? Doomsday killing Superman is something you do at the end of a hypothetical phase 2 DC movie universe, long after audiences have grown to maybe give a shit about Superman. You don't kill off Superman in his second movie, it has barely any weight to it. If they absolutely needed a generic big guy for the trio to fight at the end, there's plenty of other choices. Metallo. Parasite. Livewire.

3. Jesse Eisenberg is a talented actor. Unfortunately he does not work for Lex Luthor at any level. People had issues with Gadot and Affleck casting, but this was unacceptable. Lex is a villain who is dangerous because of his intellect + fortune. He should exude control & intimidation. I'm not saying only one interpretation of a character should be allowed (especially a fucking comic book character) but when your unorthodox pick doesn't work it will leave audiences disappointed. Thats what happened.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm the biggest apologist of the film, but I agree that shoehorning Doomsday and the Death of Superman into what was already an enormous scope of a movie can feel like a little too much. I look at BvS as a concept film of assembling the greatest scenes ever shot for a superhero movie into a loosely coherent plot, as a love letter to the people who grew up reading the interpretations of these characters in the 80s and 90s.

So naturally I loved both the theatrical and extended cuts but I consider the Ultimate Edition the definitive cut, just because it makes the desert sequence and its consequences to the rest of the story make a lot more sense. The theatrical feels a lot more obviously incomplete in hindsight.

It's also awesome that we are going to get the true follow up to this next year with Snyder's vision. Unfortunately, the original premise for the next film had to be radically changed by Snyder early on after the backlash to BvS, but I think some of the original vision is actually going to come back, such as the design for Steppenwolf.

Last edited:
The extended edition makes it a better movie mechanically for sure. The problem is that it’s still a pretty boring Batman V Superman story. Making way more sense doesn’t really help that aspect just that the director cut is serviceable as a film.

Shantae

Banned
I'm the biggest apologist of the film, but I agree that shoehorning Doomsday and the Death of Superman into what was already an enormous scope of a movie can feel like a little too much.
At the same time, I kinda understand why they felt they needed something like that at the end. They couldn't have Batman or Superman really "defeat" the other, they needed some kind of enemy for them to team up against...So even though it sucks that it had to be Doomsday, I get it.

So naturally I loved both the theatrical and extended cuts but I consider the Ultimate Edition the definitive cut, just because it makes the desert sequence and its consequences to the rest of the story make a lot more sense. The theatrical feels a lot more obviously incomplete in hindsight.
Yeah, this is what I was trying to get across in the OP. It just makes some of my complaints feel addressed, which is commendable. It makes me realize that the film makers had some kind of vision with the film, and that the theatrical cut massacred the scope of that vision with it's editing. Even if it's not a perfect vision, it was still more thought out than you could give the film credit for based on the theatrical cut.

It's also awesome that we are going to get the true follow up to this next year with Snyder's vision. Unfortunately, the original premise for the next film had to be radically changed by Snyder early on after the backlash to BvS, but I think some of the original vision is actually going to come back, such as the design for Steppenwolf.

Yeah, prior to watching this, I had little interest or faith that a Synder cut would be worthwhile, but after this cut, and seeing that he had a more coherent vision for BvS, then I'm more open to the idea of his cut.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm with you. I don't hate the movie like most do but coming off of MoS is still was disappointing.

The extended cut gives Superman more time which is what I felt like the movie was missing. It had so much time spent to discussing Batman and his motives it lost a lot of Superman.

Riven326

Banned
Being a bit more serious. I saw the film in theaters and was bored out of my mind. Dreadful film.

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to watch it. I really fucking hated the theatrical cut and this doesn't sound like a Kingdom of Heaven situation.

My favourite part was Doomsday because the whole section was so wrong it somehow captured my attention. It was interesting, like a horrible trainwreck. The rest of the movie was a boring turd.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The Ultimate Edition is the best version...and I'm glad HBOMax HAS THAT version rather than the theatrical version.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All of Snyder's movies are better in their extended versions, the least improved being Dawn Of The Dead, (not surprising as it was way better than it had any right to be in the first place) and the most being Sucker Punch which got utterly ruined by the MPAA cuts and studio interference it was subjected to.

Snyder is a much better film-maker than he's generally given credit for being in my opinion, as well as being the most accomplished mainstream visual stylist working in the mainstream since Ridley Scott's heyday.

Top Bottom