• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League |OT| Unite The League

Kimawolf

20232329_1469256723168137_2340969786494137401_o-696x261.png

Release Date: November 17th, 2017
Rating: PG-13
Studio: Warner Bros.
Director: Zack Snyder, Joss Whedon
Screenplay: Chris Terrio, Joss Whedon
Running Time: 2 Hours

Cast:
Ben Affleck- Batman
Henry Cavill- Superman
Amy Adams- Lois Lane
Gal Gadot- Wonder Woman
Ezra Miller- Flash
Jason Momoa- Aquaman
Ray Fisher- Cyborg
Jeremy Irons- Alfred
Diane Lane- Martha
Connie Nielsen- Queen Hippolyta
J. K. Simmons- Commisoner Gordon
Ciarán Hinds- Steppenwolf

Synopsis: Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman's selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists newfound ally Diana Prince to face an even greater threat. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to recruit a team to stand against this newly awakened enemy. Despite the formation of an unprecedented league of heroes -- Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and the Flash -- it may be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

Who is The League?

VS.

STEPPENWOLF
Featured_Steppenwolf_BvS.jpg

Reviews:

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/justice-league-review-ben-affleck-gal-gadot-1202614266/

The new DC Comics movie is the anti-'Batman v Superman': a superhero epic that's more light than dark, and the essence of generic competence.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/15/justice-league-review/

First, the good news. Justice League is better than its joylessly somber dress rehearsal, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Now the ”but"...you knew there was a ”but" coming, right? But it also marks a pretty steep comedown from the giddy highs of Wonder Woman. When Gal Gadot's proto-feminist Amazonian avenger got her solo showcase earlier this year, there were a lot of DC partisans who finally had a reason to feel bullish about the state of their union

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/15/movies/justice-league-review-wonder-woman-batman-dc-comics.html
”Justice League," the newest DC Comics superhero jam directed by Zack Snyder, is looser, goosier and certainly more watchable than the last one. The bar could scarcely have been lower given that the previous movie, ”Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," was such an interminable slog. The superhero and villain dynamic is much the same (slayers going to slay, etc.), but there are a few fresh faces now and Wonder Woman has more to do than play backup. The story is a confusion of noise, visual clutter and murderous digital gnats, but every so often a glimmer of life flickers through.

t-storm

Yikes... those are some less than glowing reviews.

“Not as bad as BvS.”

“Someday DC will get the recipe right. But today is not that day.”

“More watchable than the last one.”

Skipping this in theatres.

Andyliini

I watched yesterday, I thought it was fun. It was clearly cut short, though, as the trailers had scenes that were not in the final film. I'm pretty sure there will be extended edition released down the line. Out of all the DCEU films, I would place it at 3rd place, after Wonder Woman and Man of Steel. The my favorite scene was the resurrection of Superman, I hope to see more of Cavill's character in later films, altough it does not look like he will get another solo outing anytime soon.

Anyway, If you are debating, I say go watch it. It was great fun.

Damn son 43 on rotten. Yikes. So it's gonna be worse than MoS, but better than the absolute dumpster fire that was BvS.

Just reboot this turd of a cinematic universe.

Keep Wonder Woman and Flash. Burn the rest.

t-storm

Not sure why they didn't include Superman in the promotional posters and other artwork. Everybody obviously knows he's in this.

It could have perhaps helped with the marketing somewhat.

trikster40

Anyone had a chance to catch this yet? Looking for some actual fan feedback. The one above was very helpful, just want more honest reactions other than instant hatred due to critic reviews.

Andyliini

Anyone had a chance to catch this yet? Looking for some actual fan feedback. The one above was very helpful, just want more honest reactions other than instant hatred due to critic reviews.

I saw this on Wednesday in 3D. I think the movie was fun, but might have benefitted from a more longer duration. The 2 hour cut felt like they had to cut a bit too much from here and there. Music was fine, and it had a few heart-warming scenes, I personally loved the big action scene around the middle of the film.

First act did a good job at intoducing new characters, but was a bit crammed. The final battle lasted a little bit too long, but it had some fun things going on, and every character had his or her own role in it. I'd say it's worth a watch, but I'm also already waiting for Extended Cut on Blu-Ray, as the film will certainly get one. Pretty much every trailer had at least some scene that was not in the theatrical cut.

Just saw it in 2d. Will spoiler tag everything

1. I didn't like the Wonder Woman movie but she a was badass in this. The part where she defended the hostages against the man shooting at them was awesome.

2. Too much CGI. Gotham looked like those pre-rendered backgrounds in Final Fantasy and Resident Evil games. Cyborg seemed like a floating rubber face.

3.I liked Flash. Some humor seemed forced but i can let it go.

4. Superman entrance was so underwhelming during the last battle. He just showed up with a shitty tag line.

5. The whole thing about that family in the danger zone (in Russia I think) had absolutely no pay off. It was a tasteless shoe in for us to sympathize with the danger that Stevennwolf posed.

6. After credits was cool.

I didn't expect much once I found out Synder was directing. I really hope DC finds their footing, they have some of the best character in fiction and I feel like they're going to waste on these terrible attempts.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Did I watch the movie or a trailer?

The pace was faster than Flash, the main enemy was a lame piece of shit, and the fight scenes were subpar. The worst DC movie I've watched. I am the kind of fan who will defend BvS on some merits, but I cannot defend this shit. Other than some good jokes, there is nothing salvageable about this movie. What a clusterfuck.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's no Wonder Woman but it's better than MoS and BvS. Maybe because they finally stopped shilling Batman and got something right for Supes, but only because he wasn't too much in it to be ruined I suppose.

Also I give them my hat for doing Flash uniquely - they actually made a point that he isn't just "moving fast".

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I enjoyed it besides Superman’s cg face. How did that make it into a movie, it was so bad

Manus

Seeing it this weekend with some friends. Really just wish it had a better villain than Steppenwolf.

Thorhald

Just saw it - definitely better than I went in expecting it to be [i had very low hopes].

Flash was easily the best part of the movie.

Batman was tolerable.

It's no Wonder Woman but it's better than MoS and BvS. Maybe because they finally stopped shilling Batman and got something right for Supes, but only because he wasn't too much in it to be ruined I suppose.

Also I give them my hat for doing Flash uniquely - they actually made a point that he isn't just "moving fast".
Same with aquaman about talking to fish

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
This was the best Superman big screen outing since Superman II

Aquaman was cool and the effects for him underwater are awesome! Can’t wait for his solo flick

Wonder Woman and flash were kinda meh for me

It felt like an episode of the animated series especially with flash and supes when they were saving people

Cyborg cgi and flash’s acting were bad, but steppenwolf is worse than any of the MCU villains that people love to complain about. Why didn’t they make his face at least practical? Felt overly CG and floaty in many of the fights involving him.

I did love how each member had a unique fighting style and man that Superman scene where they show him seeing the flash was just nuts!

Biggest surprise in awhile. I was prepared to hate it like bvs and suicide squad or even come out disappointed like Wonder Woman and man of steel but I came out thinking it was a solid 7/10 with some great fan service and it got me more excited for the DCEU heading forward.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Not sure why they didn't include Superman in the promotional posters and other artwork. Everybody obviously knows he's in this.

It could have perhaps helped with the marketing somewhat.

Really happy they held him back for the actual movie because his scenes were the most surprisingly great for me.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
As a fan of DC since before I can remember and reading most of the comics (at the very least the JL and it's characters comics) I have really enjoyed the movies so far.
Sure they aren't perfect, but anyone claiming they are the worst movies in existence obviously hasn't seen many movies.

I enjoyed JL, however I do think the way Marvel has set up it's character movies before doing Avengers was better as quite a bit of this movie had character setup as we all know a few of them haven't had their own movies to set them up yet.
It felt short because of this and I am interested to see what the extended version has in store.
As a comic fan I felt there was too much time spent building them up, although I imagine people who aren't aware of the characters and their stories might have appreciated the time spent showing at least a little backstory.

Steppenwolf was a bit of a let down in all honesty, as was Doomsday and Lex previously. From my opinion DC's biggest let down in the cinematic universe is failing with the villains. Whereas the heroes have been done really well.
I do hope they step up the game with the villains as DC does have, at least in my eyes, the best villains there are.
Looking forward to Deathstroke in The Batman, let's hope they don't ruin him too.

I also see a lot of people hating on Cyborgs CGI which I won't deny could've been better, but there are definitely scenes in Marvels movies that are no better. People don't seen to care as much when Marvel does it though.

TLDR: If you are a sheep and are just hating on the last few DC movies because all the critics are, don't bother seeing it.
If you liked the last few movies, despite realising most movies have some flaws, definitely go out and see it.

Crazyorloco

I enjoyed the movie! Definitely Not as bad as critics say.

OP, I Love that I can see superman in the back in that last poster

justice-league-poster-fandango.jpg

Rooster12

I did love how each member had a unique fighting style and man that Superman scene where they show him seeing the flash was just nuts!

Best scene in the entire movie. Whole theater was cracking up during that scene.

I also loved the opening scene with the kid interviewing Supes.

Saw it tonight. If you're interested in DC or the Justice League, you should see it.

It's good.

Not flawless. But neither are the Avengers movies, or any of the Marvel movies -- and the problems that JL does have, are basically the exact same problems the Marvel movies have. Too much CG, too much green screen, generic villain -- it's a dumb Hollywood superhero action movie. It is what it is.

But if you can ignore the review noise and all the focus on the behind the scenes drama and the comparisons -- it's fun. It is the comic book or JL animated series brought to life, basically, and it's pretty well done in that regard.

I think if you are not a DC fan or Justice League fan, this movie would be somewhat unbearable -- like what I imagine it would be like to sit through the Power Rangers movie, for me, as someone who doesn't care about Power Rangers, although I heard it was "actually good" but I will probably never care enough to find that out. So, Justice League is the same. It's "actually good" -- assuming you care about the characters going into it.

Best scene in the entire movie. Whole theater was cracking up during that scene.

I also loved the opening scene with the kid interviewing Supes.

I would agree, especially with the first part -- that was pretty great and almost justifies the whole Superman dying & rebirth storyline, which seems about as necessary as Jon Snow dying, and as impactful.

That said, I did love the movie opening with that Leonard Cohen cover. Wonder how it would play with the original song -- I feel like it would work even better, with the song's (very slight) campiness in the production kind of matching the (very slight) campiness of the whole movie. The cover is kind of too somber and it's weird that it starts on the same kind of downbeat as Batman v Superman; the original song would add a bit more playfulness to the idea that "the world is hopeless now that Superman is dead" because we don't really see or feel it, and we definitely don't believe he's dead forever. "Everybody knows" he's coming back.

I'm not sure what other scene I would cite as a favorite... most of the scenes were all plainly enjoyable but not a ton stood out as "excellent." I'd say I liked the cast more than any scene in particular.

Now that they've figured out a tone that works and united the league, I hope they keep 'em together. I'd like to see a sequel that is more cohesive and is able to breathe a bit more.

I'm not really that much into super hero movies or DC, but saw this yesterday because my friends wanted to. I thought it was fine. Don't get the exaggerated negativity for this movie. The way the story is set-up, there's not much for Batman to do (though maybe that's the same in the comics) and I was somewhat confused at Superman's revival scene
(First he just attacks everyone, only recognizing Batman, then Lois comes by and everything is suddenly okay? I think this idea of regaining his sense of self could have been done better)
but on the whole it was pretty okay.

I haven't seen the Marvel movies except the latest Spider-man, but I find it hard to believe they're much better than this.

I liked it, and based on the crowds reaction at the end, it seemed most of the people at the theater liked it too.

Was it perfect? No, not at all, but it was solid.

Dcube

I just saw it and was thoroughly entertained. Not perfect by any means but definitely a fun, solid, action packed flick. The characters were all likeable, though Aquaman underused a bit. Flash was the standout for me. Plot and villain were basic but served their purpose. CG was hit and miss but nothing so jarring it ruined anything for me. Pacing was a bit choppy and fast especially in the beginning, and you can tell alot was cut out. I'd definitely be down for an extended cut to fill in some of this.
I try not to nitpick movies too hard and just simply ask myself coming out whether I was entertained. In this case I definitely was, both as a fan of action movies and comic book heroes. The scene after the credits was hype and I'm totally down for whatever comes next. Just please include Green Lantern the next time around!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I enjoyed JL, however I do think the way Marvel has set up it's character movies before doing Avengers was better as quite a bit of this movie had character setup as we all know a few of them haven't had their own movies to set them up yet.
It felt short because of this and I am interested to see what the extended version has in store.

On the other hand, I liked it how at least there's something more in the film. My problem with Avengers films is that it lacked character and plot as they put them in the individual films (compare them to say, Civil War which had character and plot in spite of having the Avengers). It's similar to JL - we actually get to see development of the other two Trinities while we are introduced to the new characters who gets their shine too. It makes easing into their solo film easier.

Schnozberry

I just saw it and was thoroughly entertained. Not perfect by any means but definitely a fun, solid, action packed flick. The characters were all likeable, though Aquaman underused a bit. Flash was the standout for me. Plot and villain were basic but served their purpose. CG was hit and miss but nothing so jarring it ruined anything for me. Pacing was a bit choppy and fast especially in the beginning, and you can tell alot was cut out. I'd definitely be down for an extended cut to fill in some of this.
I try not to nitpick movies too hard and just simply ask myself coming out whether I was entertained. In this case I definitely was, both as a fan of action movies and comic book heroes. The scene after the credits was hype and I'm totally down for whatever comes next. Just please include Green Lantern the next time around!

The only really jarring CGI moment for me was the beginning of the film when Superman was shown on mobile phone footage. The digital removal of his beard/mustache was so bad there that it looked like a video game cut scene gone kind of wonky.

Based on early comments from people I was expecting Cyborg to be really bad in terms of his movements and animation, and I wasn't really bothered by it. I'm with you in regards to the film needing additional time to fill in backstory. Particularly for establishing Flash and Cyborg, and also for some of Steppenwolf's exile and motivation.

Huh, I actually liked this quite a bit.

Not my favorite film of the year or anything, hell it's probably not even in my top three 2017 superhero films. But I was legitimately entertained. My biggest complaint was I wanted more, actually -- another 10 minutes of running time, just to let things breathe a bit, would have been appreciated.

For reference I hated Man of Steel and Batman v Superman theatrical (I have more complicated feelings towards the director's cut, but they still aren't great), and honestly I don't really like Snyder or Whedon films in general. I was actually considerably worried about the influence of the latter, but the jokes in the film usually felt both appropriate to the character and the place. A big problem with Whedon's stuff -- honestly nearly all of the Disney Marvel films too -- is that every character shares the same comedic voice and tone, but I didn't get that all here. I was very worried about it going in too, because that just ruins comic book movies (ex: Thor) for me lately. But the way, say Barry and Bruce joke are completely different, just like with real people and characters in actual good writing.

The Super Shrek CG stuff is bad, but that's only a small part of the film. Cyborg often looked fake, but in a way that felt deliberate in context -- he's intended to be alien. The worst part of the film was the post-credits scene, which I highly recommend BvS critics just skip entirely. It ends the film on a lousy tone it doesn't deserve.

I do wonder if the film is going to appeal to non-comic book nerds. It working or not probably hinges quite a bit on whether you can take something like a "Motherbox" seriously, or if you recognize when somebody mentions Darkseid that's a Very Big Deal. But hey, I had fun. Weird.

For what little it's worth my tiny ass audience seemed to be having fun too. When I saw BvS the crowd was actively jeering and bewildered, but nothing like that here.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I liked this movie well enough and I might even like it a lot. The critics seem to have expected something else or they walked into the wrong theater as I thought this movie was very enjoyable. The one part I wish was handled with more flare was Superman's Return. I didn't have the pomp and circumstance that was needed when he returned to the battlefield and the movie needed to be 15-20 mins longer.

It's the best movie of the new DCEU, not that the bar is high.

tkscz

I felt this thread was a better fit for a more detailed view than the thread titled "this movie sucks" on it.

Plot:
Good - It wasn't messy like BvS or badly edited like SS (though I still liked both those movies). The plot is easy to follow, even the character backgrounds we don't know were simple to understand. They weren't exactly the deepest, but the story didn't need them to be. It also didn't follow a lot of cliches going around with group/super hero movies. For example
The team doesn't split up at any point and to me that was great to see. They would put aside differences and some even talked them out, which you don't see usually see happen i other movies until after the team splits up, so seeing them preventing the team from splitting up was nice.
Bad - Wasn't exactly anything new. The story is easy to follow, but really straight forward and doesn't feel like it was attempting anything that hasn't already been done except for not follow most cliches. Still falls into a few though.

Characters:
Good - The character interaction is better in this than the previous DC movies. There was more of it and it did a good job characterizing each person. You got a clear understanding of who they were and why they were there. There were even moments where they would really get into their characters, for example
Batman starts pushing Wonder Woman's buttons because they disagree with the idea of using the motherbox to revive Superman, so Batman purposely pushes her buttons about it (though Wonder Woman did push some buttons first). One of the things he asks her, and a good question to ask, was why wasn't she more known. He considers her just as much of a symbol as Superman, but he never heard of her until the previous movie (BvS). Cyborg then steps in and tells them that there is a good chance the plan will work, so they go with it. In the next scene, Batman admits to Alfred that he was hoping after doing that, WW would step up and stop him from reviving Superman. After reviving Supes goes somewhat wrong, WW admits to Batman that she realized what he was doing early, but admitted it wasn't a position she wanted. Like the others, she is used to working alone, that she chose to hid herself due to guilt of Steve Trevor dying, that she might not be ready yet to lead, but they'll work together to fix themselves.
And then there is
Superman. My god, this was the best example of "power house character showing up at the end" I've ever seen. It was so fucking satisfying. This is what I wanted when Hulk finally showed up at the end of Avengers. This is the power house, the one who is going to just own the main villain, and completely does. He shows up, and just does everything I wanted him to. I, and everyone in the theater loved this part to death. It was what we wanted and were waiting for. And his attitude. Oh, that well adjusted cocky attitude. Like, he was super friendly, and at the same time, a complete dick to the main villain. That was just a blast.
Bad - Some of the characters still needed more screen time for their background stories... ok
Just Aquaman and Cyborg. Admittedly, Cyborg got enough exposition to fill him out as a character, but felt it like more detail was necessary. Aquaman got WAY too little. I mean for fuck's sake, Mera got shown off but wasn't mentioned by name. She even got to explain her background, but no name. You couldn't even tell if he and Aquaman knew each other (and that's his future wife). In fact, couldn't tell if Aquaman ever goes to Atlantis ever. Like, just add a small scene of him looking at Atlantis from afar and just shaking his head and swimming away. That would be enough to know he normally doesn't go there and is purposely staying away. Then when we are told he doesn't like his mom for abandoning him as a baby, we'd understand why he stayed away. It really feels like Snyder directing when stuff like that happens.
And then there is
Steppenwolf. Now this is just the comic reader in me, but really? Out of ALL of Darkseid's generals, this movie chooses the fodder one. Steppenwolf has gotten his ass handed to him by Batman before (albeit each time it happened Batman had something to give him the edge). I'll admit, they did make him feel like a real threat, but he was completely uninteresting. He was generic villain number 9. Really wish they went with Kalibak or Granny Goodness.

Cinematography: Not going into good or bad on this one as we know what I'm going to say. CG is bad, some shots are weirdly done, but action scenes are really fucking good and fun. Don't feel I need to go into this.

Over all, I liked it. I put it up there with the original Avengers. When you take a look at it, there are glaring issues, but whats good about it makes it a joy to watch.

Rooster12

I thought Batman was out of character for some parts about this movie, especially the reviving Superman part. He doesn't seem the type that would try to reason with the rest of the League about that, he would just go and do it himself regardless what they thought.

Bolivar687

Banned
I actually like the more serious tone of the Snyder films, so I was expecting to be disappointed with the lighter tone and Whedon influence but I liked it. A lot of moments probably should have hit harder than they did and I expect they would have if Snyder got to finish it.

MDSLKTR

I actually like the more serious tone of the Snyder films, so I was expecting to be disappointed with the lighter tone and Whedon influence but I liked it. A lot of moments probably should have hit harder than they did and I expect they would have if Snyder got to finish it.

The Snyder diet plan:

Cu7461l.jpg

I didn't like the batfleck a bit in this one, Snyder makes his actors hit the gym like savages.

I saw this earlier, it was fine. Wonder Woman remains the only "good" DC film but this wasn't a stinker like BvS or SS. I think I would struggle to sit through most of a second watch apart from the final battle but it's alright for what it was, it ended on a more upbeat tone than the rest of the DC universe and hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

WaterAstro

The humour is so facepalm. Watching this after Thor, it really shows how Thor knows how to set up its comedic moments and how Justice League really puts jokes in all the wrong moments without set up.

Top Bottom