• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Justice League' reshoots extensive; Up: Cavill comments on 'stache

Yeah, pretty sure the twist is that Superman is coming back as evil.

Its not a secret hes coming back, so why are they playing coy? Why did Cavill tweet a close up of the costume in black? Just a guess.

It just doesn't make sense otherwise. Snyder himself said Cavill is coming back, so the purpose of the trailers, and marketing to hide Superman is not because they want to surprise us Superman is alive.

BVS literally ended with dirt levitating off the coffin of Superman, so everyone knows he is coming back. They're not hiding it. But they're obviously hiding something. It's also something Snyder would do.

well this thread sort of spoiled that superman is coming back :(
Not that it wasn't bloody obvious but SM has been in non of the marketing material

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, he's been with the group throughout international marketing. Cups, posters, everything. It's been really weird seeing America take the exact opposite approach

Its not a secret hes coming back, so why are they playing coy? Why did Cavill tweet a close up of the costume in black? Just a guess.

It just doesn't make sense otherwise. Snyder himself said Cavill is coming back, so the purpose of the trailers, and marketing to hide Superman is not because they want to surprise us Superman is alive.

BVS literally ended with dirt levitating off the coffin of Superman, so everyone knows he is coming back. They're not hiding it. But they're obviously hiding something. It's also something Snyder would do.

I doubt that. The SDCC trailer had Alfred address Supes with Supes off camera. I don't think Supes was about to murder Alfred. Supes will just be the white knight that comes in at the last minute to save the day.

So the part about having to remove his mustache is a red herring, because evil Superman would definitely have a mustache.

If anything the twist would be that he's actually good, since they've heavily been hinting that he'll become evil at some point down the line, Injustice style.

With all the outcry about the DCEU's version of Supes, I really don't see them doubling down on the bad Supes angle.

The set pieces Snyder shot are said to be usable, but Whedon has been working on “connective tissue” that was needed to link sequences.

I want all the Snyder-defenders to report front and center immediately.

This.

This is why Batman v. Superman sucked.

This is why Snyder is laughed at almost as much as Michael Bay.

Random fucking scenes with barely any explanation or connection just duct-taped together does not = movie. Much less "smart" editing or cinematography.

At least DC had the sense to bring Whedon in to make something coherent out of Snyder's insane ramblings.

This.

Random fucking scenes with barely any explanation or connection just duct-taped together does not = movie. Much less "smart" editing or cinematography.

At least DC had the sense to bring Whedon in to make something coherent out of Snyder's insane ramblings.

Snyder needs Whedon, Whedon needs Snyder. They're brother and sister.

This.

Snyder left the film to Whedon months ago, so we can't definitively say that Snyder himself wasn't aware that there needed to be some additional reshoots or connective tissue. I know everyone likes to hate on Zack, but cmon now. It's more than likely that WB and Snyder both agreed to the reshoots and if Zack hadn't left the film due to his tragedy, then he would have been filming these scenes himself.

Slaythe

Snyder left the film to Whedon months ago, so we can't definitively say that Snyder himself wasn't aware that there needed to be some additional reshoots or connective tissue. I know everyone likes to hate on Zack, but cmon now. It's more than likely that WB and Snyder both agreed to the reshoots and if Zack hadn't left the film due to his tragedy, then he would have been filming these scenes himself.

Whedon helped the project before the tragedy.

Seems very clear, whether Snyder participated actively in the planning of reshoots or not, that Whedon shaped up the new version of the movie.

Extended reshoots could be the result of bad internal screenings + Whedon getting more control and being trusted by Snyder and WB.

Dead

well not really...yet

This.

BvS is the only Snyder movie to ever have problems with "connective tissue" and that's only a problem in the theatrical cut as 30 fucking minutes were removed. If you still can't make sense of it after that, then it's a you problem.

cr0w

Old Member
BvS is the only Snyder movie to ever have problems with "connective tissue" and that's only a problem in the theatrical cut as 30 fucking minutes were removed. If you still can't make sense of it after that, then it's a you problem.

That's a bingo.

Lifeline

Agree with this. BvS ultimate cut actually made sense.

Honestly the theatrical cut could've been the better movie if that had just edited the movie right and changed up some dialogue. In its current state, the theatrical movie has too many important scenes missing.

Pd2uc55.gif

"whats the stache stands for"

credit to fellow gaffer plainr_

I've only seen the "Ultimate Cut" of BvS and it's still a mess. The "knightmare" or whatever is still out of place and insanity inducing, the final fight is janky shit with WW being the only redeemer there, etc..

I guess 300, Sucker Punch, etc... were well edited/structured from a narrative standpoint, too? I left out Suicide Squad because he is a "guest" on there, and Watchmen is highly questionable, even if I like the movie.

Cuburt

I don't know why people are making a huge deal out of this. It doesn't say anywhere that Whedon is writing these shots, a lot of this was more than likely planned before Snyder had to take leave from the movie.
The producer Charles Roven basically said so back in May:
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/867917131437948934
[Whedon] was already working with us on some of the scenes for the additional photography that we're going to be doing shortly.
Whedon was brought on board before Snyder left.

Must be a huge deal then.

Veelk

Banned

Not really? I haven't seen all of Snyder's movies, but 'connective tissue' is also an issue with Man of Steel.

In particular, it makes little narrative sense to show that Clark is a hero in his adulthood and THEN introduce the issue of "will he listen to his father and not be a hero" in his childhood flashback. That's all backwards. You get the answer before you get the question.

Drahcir

Not to derail the stache train, but just for a moment I was wondering if there's been any rumors that part of the JL plot involves Flash time traveling at all? Given that one scene in BvS when mustachioed Flash appeared in Bruce's dream, it kind of sparked my curiousity.

Blader

Not to derail the stache train, but just for a moment I was wondering if there's been any rumors that part of the JL plot involves Flash time traveling at all? Given that one scene in BvS when mustachioed Flash appeared in Bruce's dream, it kind of sparked my curiousity.

I think that particular story was jettisoned the second the BvS reviews started rolling in. If the new goal for the DCEU is to do fun, hopeful, inspiring superhero movies, then that plan probably doesn't have room for an evil Superman who plunges the world into hell because Lois Lane was killed.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Man of Steel, 300 also had connective tissue issues, but Sucker Punch is easily the worst offender. To say BvS is Snyder's only film with issues in connective tissue is a blatant lie, whether you consider the TC or DC, although the latter did fix a few issues.

Chris McQuarrie (director of Mission Impossible 6)

https://twitter.com/chrismcquarrie/status/889893826055241729 said:
In exactly one year you’ll understand: The only way to keep a fake ‘stache on Henry Cavill would be a liberal dose of staples. #MI6 07.27.18

Cuburt

I think that particular story was jettisoned the second the BvS reviews started rolling in. If the new goal for the DCEU is to do fun, hopeful, inspiring superhero movies, then that plan probably doesn't have room for an evil Superman who plunges the world into hell because Lois Lane was killed.

Is it though?

I assume they may have scrapped Snyder's particular planned storyline as an idea for JL pt 2 but will still roll many of those ideas into Flashpoint.

Parch

Hmm. Extensive reshoots because of connectivity problems? I don't like the smell of that. This is going in the "wait for the reviews" pile for me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
ooh it gon get way worse
Doubt probably on track to be a thoroughly inoffensive fion that will try to push as little buttons as possible while trying to be funny.

Basically it probably try to be generic mcu fair but not quite succeeding.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What possible reason is there to go the evil Superman route? It's not happening.

I don't see it either. Especially since the trailer played up Superman's death leaving a vacuum of hope in the world. I think all the "He's not really here tee hee hee" is because this entire arc isn't well thought out. They killed this Superman in his second film appearance. Whoops, he's gone. Whoops he's back sounds about right for them.

Shaanyboi

Banned

This.

For all of his faults, Snyder's films (outside of Sucker Punch...) can't be accused of being incoherent. BvS, for all its misguided tonal issues, can't be accused of being "random". Even the infamous Knightmare sequence, as awkwardly placed as that is, someone with knowledge of the DC lore can make sense of what is actually being suggested there. Not to say he can't be blamed for not letting the audience in on what that was, and obviously that was a major failing of that film.

But trying to lump Snyder in with Bay is a foolish criticism. The faults of his films aren't anywhere near the same as Bay's.

Top Bottom