• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#JusticeForHan Does 'Fate of the Furious' twist betray the 'F&F' family? (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This thread reminded me I haven't even seen 7 yet, maybe it's time for a double bill me thinks.

Tiberius

Well if they bring back han i want gisele back too
She was from mossad they can bring her back with some conspiracy story

Man, I've really got to get around to watching these movies. I've only seen the original and Tokyo drift. Shit seems to have gone off the rails significantly.

Renpatsu

I felt it was disrespectful to Paul Walker to have this new schmuck waltz straight onto the team, appear in both the main action scenes, and even drive the same suped-up Japanese cars Brian used to. Like, "Oops, better get a generic white dude in here!". I can accept a one movie comic relief thing, but I do not want to see him back in Fast 9.
Yeah, I know why they felt the need to include Scott Eastwood's character and even reference Brian via his choice of car, but thankfully they subverted expectations and made him much less competent and used him more in a comedic supporting role - building him up any more than that in this film would have been distasteful. That being said I'll bet that he'll be back for the sequel with his role expanded upon depending on his success outside of the F&F franchise.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A Paul Walker replacement, but that did not work.
Not really, they weren't similar at all.

I feel like Scott Eastwood was just filling in space because the protagonist dude from Tokyo Drift signed on but then dropped out due to scheduling issues. But still, completely different characters and it's have to be written for Scott Eastwood as a comedic relief.

Actually, maybe that's where Fast 9 should pick up. The Tokyo Drift guy meets the new crew and is shocked everyone is so cool with Han's killer being a part of the crew, so the crew argued, splits, and reconvenes with Deckard having to go back to Tokyo and confront Han's family and pay his respects/repent. Also explosions and military nonsense. And space, probably.

Alx

Does the team even know that Deckard killed Han ? I don't remember if it's mentioned in FF7, we know it because of the post-credits scene of FF6 but in that one he only says "you're about to know me" to Torretto.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Don't really feel like Eastwood was Paul's replacement. Feels more like they are hoping something new sticks, hence both Ramsey and Eastwood being in it. Neither of them really having a spot on the team, since Luda does everything Ramsey does and Eastwood is just the new busta. Where, I guess he kind of fit in, with that regard and added something new.

Basically, the core cast from 6 to 7 dropped 3 characters who haven't been replaced. Each with their defined roles and largely missed. Need to start filling those shoes with something new.

With Han, I do hope they address it since it is a pretty big overshoot for a franchise that has been pretty good with keeping the flicks insyc

KdotIX

Everyone is going on about how the Tokyo Drift guy would be mad if he saw Deckard hanging out with the crew. But does he even know that Deckard was the person who killed Han?

Edit: Didn't enjoy F8.

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
The truth is these movies aren't as crazy or as good as people suddenly seem to think they are.

What kinda of response do you really expect? I think it's fair for people to have a broad range of what constitutes a "good movie". I don't think anyone watches the F&F movies for the gripping, heartfelt stories. I think people consider them good because they are fun. Not everything has to be ultra sophisticated.

Sojgat

In the next movie, the third really, actually evil Shaw brother (played by Scott Adkins) will be revealed to have secretly been behind everything. He will team up with Cipher and Punished Han to take revenge on la familia. Cousin Lance Also returns.

Kinyou

I feel like Scott Eastwood was just filling in space because the protagonist dude from Tokyo Drift signed on but then dropped out due to scheduling issues. But still, completely different characters and it's have to be written for Scott Eastwood as a comedic relief.

Actually, maybe that's where Fast 9 should pick up. The Tokyo Drift guy meets the new crew and is shocked everyone is so cool with Han's killer being a part of the crew, so the crew argued, splits, and reconvenes with Deckard having to go back to Tokyo and confront Han's family and pay his respects/repent. Also explosions and military nonsense. And space, probably.
Wow, i guess he was already stuck in another contract. Must suck to miss out on one of the biggest movies of the year. Apparently he's already cast for Fast 9 though.
Han should be the bad guy in the very last movie

IT WAS ME DOM!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!

Han started everything with the drug ring in mexico, to even getting himself killed! It was all part of the plan!
Doing something like "I killed Han because he was working for Cipher" would probably be one of the few ways to redeem Deckard. Probably not what Han fans want though, lol

In the next movie, the third really, actually evil Shaw brother (played by Scott Adkins) will be revealed to have secretly been behind everything. He will team up with Cipher and Punished Han to take revenge on la familia. Cousin Lance Also returns.
Tickets go on sale when?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
In the overall scope of the movie, Dom did bad things for his son. He kissed another woman in front of his wife. He didn't even get arrested for the shit he did. So while I'm a Tokyo Drift fan, the things Dom did in 8 were out of desperation more than being rational. It's actually kind of smart because Cipher knew all about Dom's past and wouldn't think he would work with Shaws.

I'm also in the group of fans that think Giselle is still alive. We didn't really see her die. She just kinda faded away. No dead body and no funeral.

"But why do people take this seriously"

I mean fuck, I don't expect this to have amazing stories. They're simple or "dumb" if you prefer and all about crazy exaggerated action set pieces.
Doesn't mean that I don't at least want some consistency when it comes to the characters and their personalities and motivations.
Most of these characters had a criminal past but still were redeemable because none of them were killers.

And for Dom to suddenly accept a complete scumbag into the "family" after killing one of their own and almost killing Dom, Brian & Mia and their little son (and murdering his way through a bunch of unrelated people in a hospital - including some hospital staff) makes no sense.
Like, doing this one good thing suddenly negates everything else? Come on.

Yeah when I sit down and think about what I saw in Fast 8, the story was some bullshit.

If the family dynamic is gonna fade each entry then dont make any more. The characters felt super robotic besides Vin, Deckard and Letty

Foggy

Of all the recent movies, this one in particularly gave no shits about the family. It was the Vin and Rock and Statham show.

How somebody could write an article like this with any kind of sincerity is beyond me. The writers have clear and obvious disdain for its audience. Everything has been governed by toddler logic.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Almost nobody sincerely thinks they're good stories. They're just enjoying them. There's a difference.

Nobody thinks they are good stories. Since Fast 5 though, many critics have been falling over themselves to make arguments about why they are actually good movies which is not mutually exclusive with telling a good story.

Falchion

All I know is that Han is the best thing about that series and them killing him off way too soon was a crime.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Does the team even know that Deckard killed Han ? I don't remember if it's mentioned in FF7, we know it because of the post-credits scene of FF6 but in that one he only says "you're about to know me" to Torretto.

Everyone vowed to go after Deckard at Han's funeral but then that all got pushed aside for the God's Eye plotline and saving Ramsey. Only Dom seemed to really have a personal grudge with Deckard.

They definitely gotta bring Han back if they want to redeem Deckard. Otherwise, this comes off pretty poorly.

I can't say I'd be shocked to see him back...

Can't rise from the dead with out this gif of Killa

cam-casket-o.gif

...and now I have this song stuck in my head...

KILLA!

number11

As stupid as these movies are, the family elements are actually what a lot of people love. It's weird how they just killed all that in 8.

N7.Angel

We all know why they needed him to come back, we just need to take a look at BO, China will become the primarily market pretty soon.

F&F casts are some of the most lovable in blockbusters right now, more endearing than the Marvel. That's what matters.

#FAMILY

lmao...

whatever.

Do people actually care about the story or the plot in these movies? They are absolute shit. It doesn't matter if they bring back one of the character from dead as zombie it will be fine lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well, this series coming back from the dead was a bigger feat than that and here we are.

I would welcome a Han return, as I wrote here:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=234140197
needs more family

Isn't too bad, but if anyone is going to be resurrected and seek vengeance against the #family it should be Johnny Tran. SWAT came into that mans house and disrespected his whole family.
and he got shot and SUPPOSEDLY died, but there is a greater possibility he is alive compared to Han

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think after Paul Walker's death the series really needs Han. I'd personally support whatever type of narrative horseshit they had to employ to justify it, bring him back and move on.

LawfulEnder

Neo Member
Best way to address this would've been with a mid-credits scene that replays Han's death scene from Fast and Furious 6 but reveals that Deckard didn't actually kill Han, he just left the necklace and took credit for it. Fast 9 can reveal this to the family in order to justify Shaw becoming part of the family officially. Then Fast 9's credits could returned to Han's death scene from The Fate of the Furious only to reveal that Han actually survived.

What I'm saying is they should embrace the absurdity as only F&F can and just return to and retcon that scene in the credits of every Fast movie from here on out.

TraBuch

Banned
So the next movie is gonna be Lucas Black going after the crew because they have Han's murderer on the team, right? All that dude knows is that Han's murderer is now buddies with Han's supposed family.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
It could easily be a direct sequel to Tokyo Drift. Shame they aren't using Lucas Black more in the main films tho. He's gotta be over 18 by now. Plus he has a crew that would rival Dom's family.

Fast & Furious: Civil Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom