• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 6 - The Final Showdown - Olyphant & Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

I quite liked that idiot Dickey Bennett lol

One of my all-time favorites. Anyone else remember the drug dealer/magician Flex from season 2? It was the episode where Rachel's brother-in-law is on the run trying to get a Furbot to his son.

How am I supposed to do magic with this hand? I'm not. :( poor Flex.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Remember Jody?

iBOoRImZMtQRR.gif

ivVG9Ju1IC5Hl.gif

ioswhrOSiB4wE.gif

iMsbiIimXdSDC.gif

Or Fletcher "the ice pick" Nix?

vjVSl.gif

So much to love.

Finally watched the finale. Been putting it off because I didn't want the show to be over, lol.

I'm happy with the happy ending. That last scene and last couple lines were the perfect bookend to this show. Duffy making it out was the cherry on top.

The parts were uneven at times, but as a whole I'll always love the show. Gonna be hard for any other show to ever compete with Justified's dialogue...
"I'm going to need Google Translate on my phone if I'm going to keep talking to you."

How many years did the show cover? The seasons are set to kind of follow each other fairly quickly, so it would appear to me that the six seasons are really only a year or two at most.

I mean, on one hand several years would explain Vasquez (taking six years to capture someone like Boyd would seem a little excessive) but on the other hand several months would also seem like Harland is quite a hotbed of activity.

How do the people of Eastern Kentucky feel about the show?

Majority of the people I know that actually watch Justified loves it. There are a few who scoff at some of the accents and how the show isn't always 100& correct with things like how it sometimes takes ten minutes to go from Lexington to Harlan, but those people are more the realty tv types. They are unable to separate reality vs. fiction.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
All caught up.

I thought that letting Ava get away was a bit of a cop out and maybe even out of character for Raylan, but it didn't make the finale any less enjoyable.
ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, RATSKY?
As a matter of fact, I think it was a fantastic idea to end the show with a soft note instead of with a bang.

Ava seems reformed and out of harm's way, Boyd will get old and die in prison and my man Wynn Duffy retains his crown as Harlan's biggest and most resourceful weasel. Bless his rotten soul. Oh, and that dork Boone got his just desserts. I think I made an audible whimper when Raylan fell to the ground. What a tremendously shot scene. Boone's actor played his part amazingly well.

Good marks all around for the dialogue, too. Raylan, Art and Tim were all on point, and that final conversation with Boyd delivered some hefty melodramatic payload without being hamfisted nor criminally manipulative.

Proper ending for a terrific show that didn't overstay its welcome. Now that a few hours have passed since I watched the finale I can't help but feel as if I just read a long and beautifully written book. I'm not even aching for another season. I am content.

I wouldn't have minded either way whether it took a dark end or a happy one, so long as it was executed well...and, boy, was it executed well.

Everybody seemed like they just felt so free and relieved post-timeskip, like they all got their piece of closure in a way. Even Boyd, in prison, seemed somehow liberated. I don't think he's up to any schemes at the moment, that he's honestly giving this (re-)re-birth a true shake, like he's relieved to finally have that burden of being an outlaw off his shoulders. After his talk with Raylan, I believe he looks back gratefully that his gun was empty when he pulled the trigger on Ava...like he dodged a heat-of-the-moment big mistake that he would've long regretted.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Did anyone watch the Tim Olyphant interview on Conan? Fucking hilarious.

Tim is a riot. All his interviews with Conan are laugh inducing. He has this funny asshole thing coded into his DNA. No wonder he's so damn good at those roles.

Tim fans looking for something to quench their thirst should check Go! I've seen a bunch of times already and it never fails to give me some real belly laughs.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Hell of an entrance

One of the best I've seen.

Tim is a riot. All his interviews with Conan are laugh inducing. He has this funny asshole thing coded into his DNA. No wonder he's so damn good at those roles.

Tim fans looking for something to quench their thirst should check Go! I've seen a bunch of times already and it never fails to give me some real belly laughs.

Oh I've seen all of his appearances on Conan, they have great chemistry.

Ruze789

I was supposed to go to sleep right after Justified aired since I needed to get up so early the next morning, but then I came on here and was reminded that he would be on Conan.

Ended up watching throughout Angela Kinsey's section too, since Tim stayed on the couch for that. I've always loved his appearances on Conan, he's definitely one of the more amusingly odd guests on there.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'd really like to have Raylan's desk sign. But it's going to be way too expensive for my wallet :(

+24% buyer's fee on top of your winning bid and at least $15 handling. I still might see if I can possibly sneak away with something small, but yeah :(

Linius

+24% buyer's fee on top of your winning bid and at least $15 handling. I still might see if I can possibly sneak away with something small, but yeah :(

Yeah, it's 25 dollars for me as a Euro peasant. You buy something for me, I'll pay you in bells.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Taking Sepinwall's advice to watch the pilot again (although not before the finale) and it's funny how you can see all the pieces come together. They really wrote the finale with the pilot in mind.

I'm not sure if I posted this earlier in the week:

- They Dug Coal Together: Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins Look Back on ‘Justified’
Q: When did you know how the show was going to end?

OLYPHANT: I was in the room before we started shooting this season and we talked about the ending on Day 1. The big question we asked right off the bat was, are we going to kill anyone?

GOGGINS: I wanted to die. I really, really wanted to die. It would have been easier for me, as an actor, just to lay him down and not think about it. But at the beginning of the season, Graham sat me down with the other producers and said, “What if nobody dies?” I went home and I really thought about it and I went, “O.K. I think he’s right.” Selfishly, I don’t want to see Boyd die and maybe the audience didn’t want to see him die. I’m very, very happy with how it ends.

Q. There was that final scene in the prison where Raylan and Boyd did seem to arrive at some sort of mutual understanding. What was that like to shoot?

GOGGINS: It was my last day and it really snuck up on me, the exchange between those two people. We read it on the page and when we stepped in to do it, it became something completely different. It was very, very cathartic for me, as Boyd, and I think it was for Tim. Boyd needed him to acknowledge that he did love Ava, that that was real, and that their friendship was more than the adversarial dynamic that they had been living in for the last three seasons. That their prior friendship and their mutual struggles amounted to something more than just anger. That was summed up in the phrase, “We dug coal together.” I was elated and somehow released from this burden for Boyd after that scene, and I just cried like a baby and just hugged Tim, and hugged and thanked all those incredible people. It’s there one minute and then it’s over.
Q: We keep hearing about the Golden Age of television, and “Justified” was on alongside all these other well-regarded shows. Where do you think it fit in among the other great series of the era? What will its legacy be?

GOGGINS: I think it will age well. What people have loved about it is, there are no rules or definable walls that hold “Justified.” It’s absurd, it’s out-and-out funny, and it’s dark and violent. It’s emotional at times — I feel like Boyd’s story line really added that element to it. It has something for anyone who chooses to pick it up in the future.

OLYPHANT: I have no clue. I can tell you the thing I’m proud of: There were times, when the show really hit its stride, I remember thinking, “Well, this is as good as it gets.” I haven’t seen many of these other shows, but there’s no way they’re that much better than what I saw here. When I’m doing that scene in the pilot with Dewey and Ava at the doorstep, that whole sequence, that’s just good writing. And I’m watching Damon (Herriman, who played Dewey Crowe], and that’s good acting. And when I’m in the scene in the church with Walt in the pilot, I’m like this guy is great. And I remember thinking that when I was working with Margo Martindale. And I remember doing a scene with Jere Burns in the Winnebago, when Raylan’s playing Harlan roulette with him, and I’m like, you know, there’s no naked girls in this scene but otherwise this is pretty much everything you’ve ever asked for in entertainment. So where does it stack up at the end of the day? I don’t know. It doesn’t really matter. I can only tell you that I’m quite confident that when the show was good, it was really good.
Q: [While joking about a spinoff] So would this theoretical new Raylan show be set in Miami?

OLYPHANT: You’re thinking too small. U.S. marshals are federal; they can go anywhere. I’ve been pitching this for six years now — I kept saying, “You know, Raylan could go to Paris.” They’re like, “Hey this year Ava’s going to run,” and I was like, “Great, to … Paris?” And they said, “No, just up the hill.” Look, it would be a lot of fun to do some sort of whatever they call it these days — limited series, mini-series. I’d gladly take the gig.

- Jonathan Tucker talking Justified with Gold Derby (text + vid interview)
"You want to come in there and do something great and take big risks. You also don't want to screw up anything" says Jonathan Tucker about his villainous guest turn this season on "Justified." In a video chat with Gold Derby (watch below), he admits, "I was a fan of the show before I got the call to come be on it, which was a total trip and a thrill. It's a show that's based on extraordinary craftsmanship of story and cast."

Tucker joined the drama series for the final episodes of its six-season run on FX. He played the quite talkative young henchman Boon to drug kingpin Avery Markham (Sam Elliott) who was obsessed with gunplay and hats. He also couldn't wait for his showdown with the main character of U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant).

Regarding the colorful and creative dialogue of the modern western, he says, "That Elmore Leonard cadence is quite beautiful, however I didn't appreciate how hard it was. I found it endlessly challenging to get those words out of my mouth in that order. The dialogue is so good, and the beats are so specific, that you want to get every single word exactly as it is out on the page."

The character Tucker played quickly became a fan favorite even though the show was wrapping up the storylines of all the regular characters in those episodes. As he assembled his ideas of where this diabolical man originated, he wondered "what brings somebody to a place where they're so damaged that they turn to violence or turn to places where people might consider creepy"? He adds, "Boon is a damaged guy. There's no father figure to speak of, so you see how he gravitated towards someone like Markham, certainly not the kind of mentor you'd want for somebody in deep need of spiritual sustenance."
More via the link.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I know i'm a little late to the party here but...

Just finished the last 3 episodes this afternoon after catching up on the 3 before that the day before. A definite binge to the finale... and godamn if this hasn't been my absolute favorite series I've ever seen on television. All the call backs.. the payoff for the gunfight scene, the final conversation with Boyd and Raylan, all of Raylan's many smirks through out the last few episodes
"Boyd's throwing dynamite..."
"Jesus christ."

lol.. this fucking show. SO GOOD. Was talking to a co worker today about how... about halfway through last season we started guessing and speculating about what exactly the last season would look like. We had so many thoughts and ideas saying this or that path for these characters and the showdown will be this or maybe they will come together and have one final big shootout as a team and on and on and they managed to go somewhere ENTIRELY different while still being absolutely on tone and just... fuck me... so good.

I don't think/say this often but... i am going to miss Raylan Givens. I am going to miss Boyd Crowder.

"We dug coal together."

Fuckin a.

Coolluck

Finally finished it myself. Like others I was putting it off because I didn't want it to be over. Guess that's why I'm bad at breakups. This show ended just right. The final scene brought tears to my eyes. I look forward to when I get the chance to re-watch the show. I don't know where I'd rank it. Likely in my Top 10 but it'd be nice for it to be Top 5. There's just too much outstanding entertainment out there these days.

Just finished binging the season. I did not expect it to be this good. I had made my peace with Justified being a fine show, but not the great show that I once thought it was, circa season two. Not only did the final season reach that level of quality again, but it did so while juggling a shit ton of characters and weaving together various plot elements from previous seasons to construct a meaty, highly entertaining and ultimately satisfying conclusion to the series.

I was bawling my eyes out during the last scene, probably as much because of what was happening onscreen as the realization that Justified was ending.

Other emotional moments for me were
Ava and Boyd's dark, twisted romance at the cabin
and
the unexpected bromance between Duffy and Mike.

Now where's my Justified: Miami sequel series? I'm only half kidding.

Beefy

Was looking to watch this. But couldn't find it anywhere apart from Amazon for about £60. But then Sky(UK) have announced they have every season free of charge in their box set category. I guess I have my week off sorted.

Great show. Went out with style and quiet flair, as opposed to multiple shock and awe moments. I love how it ended with two of the central characters just sharing a somber moment.
Well said. I was pleasantly surprised.

I was expecting Boyd to pop out of the bushes and get Raylan's daughter.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Other emotional moments for me were
Ava and Boyd's dark, twisted romance at the cabin
and
the unexpected bromance between Duffy and Mike.

Now where's my Justified: Miami sequel series? I'm only half kidding.

Holy shit... spoilers i guess for Duffy's send off...

That whole scene I was on pins and needles. Duffy trying to talk to Mike beforehand... the obvious boiling mike was doing about Duffy's "who gives a shit" attitude towards the people he sold out .. everything was so spot on for Duffy and his whole role in the show. And then Mike showing his spark of innocence and care for the Duff only to get tagged was intense. Hearing Duffy scream "MIIIIKE!!!" "KILL HER!!" and then ... "Will you hold me??" ... holy shit. Just holy... shit. Surprisingly powerful stuff.

I knew I liked Wynn as a character in a show even if he was ultra sleazy half the time... and then that scene? And the way he rolled out into his own sunset? ... holy shit. Masterstroke.

iddqd

Watched everything in the last couple of weeks. Great show, Season 4 was the least fun but everything else, good Tv.

Glad I decided to give it a try and that I stuck with it.
(partly because of this OT popping up here and there and reminding me)

Coolluck

Watched everything in the last couple of weeks. Great show, Season 4 was the least fun but everything else, good Tv.

Glad I decided to give it a try and that I stuck with it.
(partly because of this OT popping up here and there and reminding me)

4 and not 5? May I ask why you liked 5 more?

I'm guessing because season 5 had a big bad/main threat whereas season 4 didn't.

To be honest, the only thing I didn't like about season 5 was Ava's story. It just dragged on and on all season and wasn't interesting in the slightest. Apart from that, I thought it was great.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing because season 5 had a big bad/main threat whereas season 4 didn't.

To be honest, the only thing I didn't like about season 5 was Ava's story. It just dragged on and on all season and wasn't interesting in the slightest. Apart from that, I thought it was great.

Was Rapaport really a big bad though, he wasn't even ever a threat really.

I liked the Crowe Clan as villains, including Rapaport. Ava's prison storyline had potential but what we ended up with was pretty underwhelming.

Season 6 was a huge step up all-around though. I stopped buying the blu-ray sets for this show after season 2 but now I'm planning on picking them all up. That's how good the final season was; it retroactively made previous seasons better by masterfully wrapping up the entire series.

Season 5 wasn't that bad. It was saddled with cast departures and an attempt to bring all these loose ends together to set up the amazingness that was season 6. Looking back I'm more forgiving of it as it did set up Season 6 really nicely

Rapaport was great, other than the pretty slippery accent.

He's not even *that* big of a guy yet always manages to seem physically intimidating.

Top Bottom