• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Lin to direct Lebron in Space Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone who says space jam was shit can come fite me in rael life, i'll berry my fist so far up your ass whoever took it will be crowned king arthur.

berry
your ass
fist
king arthur

This movie could be huge domestically if its marketed right. Hit that nostalgia like a motherfucker

I Believe I Can Fly 2 by the weeknd ft. Future

WB plz....

CheuJqDUgAApO3c.jpg

Luigi87

Space Jam is a cinematic masterpiece. It may very well be the finest piece of footage put to film defining a generation.

People simply see it as a movie involving Michael Jordan, the Looney Tunes gang, and some made-for-movie aliens who play a game of basketball, but oh it is so much more than that.

Firstly Space Jam is the perfect marriage of live action and animation. Seemlessly integrated together in ways that hadn't been explored since probably Roger Rabbit.

Now the movie's runtime itself clocks in at 88 minutes. What? That's short you may say. Why it isn't even an hour and a half long? Do you not realize the genius of that? At 88 minutes the movie begins, delivers its message, and ends before overstaying its welcome. It's not some needless 151 minute fluff piece, or worse something 180 minutes long, but instead a perfect metaphor of time. You know what else was about time? Back to the Future... and what was an important detail about Back to the Future? The number 88, as that was the amount of miles per hour the DeLorean time machine had to hit in order to achieve the speed required to activate the flux capacitor and travel through time.

And Back to the Future was an amazing movie that grew into a trilogy covering the past, present, and future (from the time of its premiere, the future is now our past in real time, but I digress). Back to the Future would become central in many pop culture references to come. Of course we have to look beyond just the movie title and its time travel plot, and consider its lead actor. That individual of course is Michael J. Fox.

Now Michael J. Fox has had quite an excellent career as an actor, but during the same year that Back to the Future came out another known picture hit the theatres. I am of course talking about the wonderful movie Teen Wolf. Now I admit that I myself haven't actually seen Teen Wolf, but I imagine it too must have been a fantastic film, as it would father a sequel starring Jason Bateman, as well as a television series decades later. I am not going to go into detail about those however. Now Teen Wolf is, according the synopsis on IMDB, about a "struggling high school student with problems discovers that his family has an unusual pedigree when he finds himself turning into a werewolf" a concept I am sure we can all relate to, *cough*Puberty*cough*. But it isn't that Michael J. Fox turning into a werewolf that is important here, it's what he does, because in film, just like life, actions speak louder than words, and this Teen Wolf isn't just any high schooler who happens to also turn into a werewolf, no, he also plays a little sport known as basketball. That's right, using his enhanced abilities I'm guessing, Michael J. Fox becomes the school's all-star player doing things no ordinary human could... Or could they? I happen to remember another Michael who is incredible at the sport of basketball. That's right, Michael Jordan.

The same Michael Jordan who is the star of Space Jam, thus bringing us full circle, much like the rim of a basketball hoop, or the rings in the Looney Tunes' title cards, and therefore proving that a movie with this much symbolism is one of the finest movies of our time.

tl;dr, it has Bill Murray playing himself.

Dishwalla

Banned
Does anyone who actually likes the movie actually watch all the junk with Jordan and his family/Stan? Back when I had the VHS I used to fast forward through all of that, eventually I got to the point where I started the movie at the beginning of the big game.

exfatal

The first Space Jam was terrible. Literally nobody is asking for this. More of Warner Bros. throwing money into a hole I guess.

How fucking dare you! I loved the first Space Jam and their the Space Jam album that came out with it. Robert Kellys best work :D

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Can't wait for next year's breakout summer blockbuster, "'90s Kids Get a Free Blowie With Every Ticket," which isn't really a movie so much as it is a mid-level VP at Warners mouths your genitals for 90 straight minutes while you livetweet the experience.
am I suppse to dislike this

Tansut

Just like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Pokemon, DBZ, and pretty much all video games then

How is "dumb" fun not good?
It's basically a giant shoe commercial. Which is fine, because it's also fun. But it's also also dumb. I like Space Jam but I wouldn't say it's good.

exfatal

I hope this movie gets popular enough to the point Bugs and the gang are dlc for the Next NBA2K. Or warner bros gets license to make their own sport games lol

Lotto

space jam helped me pass my ap exam, can't say that about any other movie i've watched

i don't really care about this one though

megamerican

Probably not a popular opinion but I'd take a new Space Jam over anything Pixar puts out.

I have a feeling this probably won't wind up happening though. I'll be really pleasantly surprised if it does.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
The first and last time I watched Space Jam as an adult I was baked as all hell and still thought it was shit. Yall need to let it go.

Richie

And to see a movie like this succeed, while the much better Looney Tunes: Back in Action bombed at the box office (probably as a result of the lack of a larger than life figure like Space Jam had) just makes my heart sink.

Real talk, Back in Action had its heart in the right place, but executive interference and creative meddling makes the final product fail, and it actually hits harder than Space Jam, because BiA desperately tried to reach much higher standards than those ending up on the big screen. A Looney Tunes movie done -right-, they were set to deliver! A worthwhile tribute to the franchise's legacy, they hoped for! Alas, not quite.

Whereas with Space Jam, no one expects a masterpiece from THAT premise, so expectations are set accordingly; it ended up being an enjoyable lowkey flick within its own kooky aims.

The Beard

The first and last time I watched Space Jam as an adult I was baked as all hell and still thought it was shit. Yall need to let it go.

The first and last time I watched it was as an 11 year old in a theater. I absolutely loved basketball and MJ, it was the worst movie I saw up to that point in my life. It's not even "so bad, it's good", it's just bad.

tr00per

You know what? I'm much more sour about Ghostbusters than I am about this. I probably won't see it in theaters but if it comes on tv I may not change it. Besides it's an excuse to have a looney tunes movie

But will it be animated or CG?

For the record I watched it a few months back and I still enjoyed it. It's very 90s, some of the CG doesn't hold up, and Jordan isn't exactly oscar worthy but you have to expect that going in.

And that soundtrack doe...

i might have been high but still

Juicy Bob

Space Jam was my first exposure to US basketball culture.

It left me very confused.

Also, what was up with the Bill Murray thing? I was like "who is this weird man?".

Wait there are people who dont like Space Jam???

Well clearly those people must be
looney

That movie is a damn masterpeice! From the beginning to the end, its glorious! There isnt a single joke in that movie which isnt on point...Its full of humour, heart and hoops of course!

Whoever dares to mock Space Jam deserves a special place in the hoops of hell!

However...Space Jam 2...only if the aliens steal Jordans power this time (which should be more than enough for 5 aliens!

I gotta admit, there's a certain crappy nostalgia I have for Space Jam. Like generic birthday cake or watered down fruit punch, it's probably actually really bad, but I can't help but love it.

I demand this movie's soundtrack be one uninterrupted version of a Space Jam remixed with basically every song ever, because you can do that.

Come on, we need more scenes of Shinobi in his prime finding out all the information he has in the game industry!

spacejam6.jpg

It is time for him to fix that divot one more time

hqdefault.jpg

It's time to JAM

yaZFdt.gif

Acosta

"Aliens steal Curry powers."

"Aliens beat Lebron team".

Bugs Bunny: we picked the wrong guy...

In any case, this movie without Jordan has no sense. It was a product of its time, with a player that had a charisma and a significance that Lebron will never have. I'm not really sure who will want to watch this.

"Aliens steal Curry powers."

"Aliens beat Lebron team".

Bugs Bunny: we picked the wrong guy...

In any case, this movie without Jordan has no sense. It was a product of its time, with a player that had a charisma and a significance that Lebron will never have. I'm not really sure who will want to watch this.

No player in our lifetimes will ever have the significance that Jordan had. It's not just Lebron. Jordan is the reason why the NBA is what it is today. Hell, he's the reason why sports are what they are today. He's not just a person, he's literally a complete brand. It's unrealistic to think anyone else will have that kind of lasting impact.

In any case, I just want to be entertained and I'm sure this movie will do just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom