• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

Niks

Can someone enlighten me on the OT title?

Also, YoonA looking great.
tumblr_oalek8QiC21r2xhr2o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_oakacxD58O1r2xhr2o1_1280.jpg

Anybody watching Bring it on, Ghost!/Let's Fight, Ghost?

Just got done watching the first episode and I'm very intrigued. If you haven't heard of it, Taecyeon's character can see and exorcise ghosts and one day he encounters Kim So-hyun's character(who's a ghost) and all hell breaks loose... and while that happens literally, I'm also saying it to avoid spoilers lol.

From what I saw in the first ep, it's gonna have some fight scenes, mysteries, romance, and some college hijinks which I'm excited for.

And yes before you ask, I saw a clip of it earlier with Taecyeon and So-hyun kicking each others ass so I had to at least watch it haha.

With Sech Kies making a comeback thread title should have been |OT7| The fucking dick is back in your pussy.

I still can't believe this is a real thing.

I know it was 1999 or whatever but surely somebody in Korea must've known what the hell they were saying. It's not like English became part of Korean culture the moment they had internet right?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
GFriend winning on The Show

Call me a cynic but I wonder if they are just acting with that crying. I dunno, maybe they take in way too much of the hate that any idol gets? Winning vs WG/Heechul&Jungmo has personal significance? I mean humility has its place but after winning *checks wiki* best new artist/rookie of the year awards on Melon, Gaon, SMA, GDA, and 15 music show wins with Rough, it shouldn't be all the surprising when you win on your next comeback.

llehuty

Call me a cynic but I wonder if they are just acting with that crying. I dunno, maybe they take in way too much of the hate that any idol gets? Winning vs WG/Heechul&Jungmo has personal significance? I mean humility has its place but after winning *checks wiki* best new artist/rookie of the year awards on Melon, Gaon, SMA, GDA, and 15 music show wins with Rough, it shouldn't be all the surprising when you win on your next comeback.
I don't how much it affects them, but Umji and SicaB have been getting so netizen hate recently because of their "attitude" (a classic) and Umji has probably gotten hate for her looks since debut.

Also, being tired in general makes people more sensitive, and they were already tired as fuck before promos while recording the MV.

No No Eul

neoism posting a Yoona gif... What is the world coming to?

Can someone enlighten me on the OT title?

It references something that llehuty discovered in the last thread. (I feel I ought to state for the record that I am actually a fan of Taeyeon. I just thought that rant was hilarious and the turn of phrase right at the end is, as llehuty said, gold.)

I updated the OP yesterday and linked the jpeg in question to the title for easy access:

Talking of updates, there are quite a few acts still missing from the OP, particularly on the R-Z end of the alphabet, and I'll be adding them over the coming days and weeks.

Dice

I don't how much it affects them, but Umji and SicaB have been getting so netizen hate recently because of their "attitude" (a classic) and Umji has probably gotten hate for her looks since debut.

Also, being tired in general makes people more sensitive, and they were already tired as fuck before promos while recording the MV.
Poor Umji has also been getting bullied by hair stylists.

luso

I understand what you mean, this is a (very) minor music show and far from a first for the group.
I don't follow much Gfriend so I can't comment about what could make them cry (besides the usual tiredness and bad comments). But I think in general the groups are at least advised by the management, at least rookies groups, in case of a first/overdue/"hardship" win, to put their humble faces on and from there maybe a tear will fall. I don't mean that's simply fake but for sure they mentally put some effort for these moments and may not be a completely spontaneous move.

Peru

I understand what you mean, this is a (very) minor music show and far from a first for the group.
I don't follow much Gfriend so I can't comment about what could make them cry (besides the usual tiredness and bad comments). But I think in general the groups are at least advised by the management, at least rookies groups, in case of a first/overdue/"hardship" win, to put their humble faces on and from there maybe a tear will fall. I don't mean that's simply fake but for sure they mentally put some effort for these moments and may not be a completely spontaneous move.

yknok July 2015 said:
However, the most heartless, psychopathic and emotionless figure in KPop, who has won 28 No.1s from the major stations (the most by a female soloist in the 21st century), NEVER cried even once when she won No.1s including the first one, which is strange because she won first at the tender age of 17, which is quite an emotional age. She cried exactly ONCE in her entire career, which is quite amazing.

It is possible that she has no emotion at all. Her songwriting skills cannot hide her heartlessness and ruthlessness.

yknok January 2016 said:
IN terms of nerve, no one matches someone whose name I do not have to mention.

Lee Jieun appeared to host a music show a few days after her most famous photo with Anchovy was revealed, and Lee Jieun played the queen in the 2015 Gayo Daejun following the Zeze fiasco which kicked her out from KPop's highest echelon, and she shamed Xiumin , Seolhyun and the leaders of newer KPop groups.

It appears IU is entirely devoid of feelings, sympathy, emotions, shame, remorse, guilt, sadness or anything.

The only feeling yknok's favourite subject has is laughing - she laughs hard when she beats a rival, she crushes a potential competitor, etc.

Kpop's most irrelevant-outside-Korea singer never cried even once when she won at music shows , never expressed any kind of guilt in her own life, etc.

No No Eul

Wu Qian, currently starring opposite Park Tae Hwan in 'My Amazing Boyfriend'.

Talking of K-pop, hats off to the producers of I.O.I's Lan Cable Friends for using Perfume's Linear Motor Girl in the opening credits.

Kazzy

not a mystery. royalty doesn't cry or apologize.

Informed attribute if you ask me, she's one of those entities,who I periodically try to 'figure' out, only to end up more confused than ever.

If she was a color, she'd be beige.

Pendulum

Fei "Fantasy" MV
Comments and likes/dislikes as expected.
But at least I now have a thing for hoops.

---

Image teaser for f(x)'s song to be released as part of SM Station this week

---

[SPECIAL VIDEO] SEVENTEEN(세븐틴) - '아주 NICE' (VERY NICE) DANCE PRACTICE ver.

---

IDOL ARCADE(대기실 옆 오락실): GFRIEND(여자친구)_Gamer Queens Get Competitive_NAVILLERA(너 그리고 나)
No crying today on Show Champion
I do have some cynicism towards the extent of the crying as well, Dice. Especially in light of this last year.

---

Some Unpretty Rapstar vol 3 promos for
Soyeon
Giant Pink
Grace

llehuty

Wow those downvotes in Fei's video! Sounds very Sunmi-esque. I approve.

레이샤(Laysha) - 초콜릿 크림 (chocolate cream)
It's ok.

JUNHO (From 2PM) 『DSMN』トレーラー (Album highlight)
I reaally don't care about this guy, but this is good.

Hit The Stage [선공개]효연/태민/보라/호야/유권/셔누/모모/텐 - 춤서열1위는? (첫방송D-7) 160727 EP.1
Full teaser performance in higher res. This is going to be so daaaamn good, although I can already tell that Bora is going to be super embarrasing. Also, Prepix hype, those guys are good.

this isnt the first time someone has said something like this IIRR

Fei "Fantasy" MV

This is supposed to be the equivalent of rated R? Somebody show them some of the American MV's.

I feel conflicted about the music though. I really feel like this should've been a Miss A track to begin with. It just makes me sad we're never getting any more of their greatness. :(

But going back to the track, I actually really love it. The very chill synths and dreamlike feel of the song is out of this world. They key change is imo a delight actually. The entire song places you in a very relaxed position and the key change feels like it's the thing that's gonna wake you up out of the dream. And speaking of which... this is gonna sound odd as hell but I think I'd love to listen to this when I'm tripping out on LSD lol.

Sounds very Sunmi-esque. I approve.

I agree with this too. It's got a Sunmi vibe too it but it's definitely more of a Miss A track imo.

Dice

Maybe Hyuna and Sungah are thinking about leaving but want to be sure the others will be okay on their own.

Dice

ew5ZVLK.gif

]
tumblr_ma3y7atSvz1qdcel5o7_250.gif

Song is really nice, takes some direction from Black & Gold but chills the hop of the swing elements to a more intimate fantasy feeling. I like the Inception/Weird Science bit going on in the MV.

PerfectFeiDaBest™ is the killer app for HTC Vive/Occulus Rift and has been forgiven for any recent international transgressions. In all seriousness, it's hardly an easy thing to navigate for a Chinese/Taiwanese public figure with ambitions of working abroad.

I want a dance practice version of "Fantasy" to see the moves better. It wouldn't surprise me to learn this was done by the choreographer(s) behind "24 Hours"/"Full Moon" or perhaps Miss A's "Touch." The moves don't look as creative or distinct as "Touch," but some of them call to mind that under-loved gem.

I agree with this too. It's got a Sunmi vibe too it but it's definitely more of a Miss A track imo.
I maintain 'til this day that "24 Hours" is the greatest MIss A song that never was. You can hear each of the members' parts in that song (in much the same way you can hear f(x)'s parts in Red Velvet's "Happiness").

As much as I love that song and Sunmi as a whole, I'm confident Miss A could have released an equally awesome version of their own. One of the reasons I tend to lean towards "Full Moon" and "Frozen in Time" overall is that they sound more like songs that were better tailored to Sunmi as an artist.

1a - Choa
1b - Yuna
only person who can fully unseat Choa
3 - Mina/Seolhyun/Hyejeong
6 - Others
345,678,110 - Dying from a rare and excruciatingly painful disease, while the Sun slowly engulfs the Earth
345,678,111 - Chanmi

As I said, |OT7| Disbandments and Territory Claimants
...And General Regional Disputes

Not sure anyone cares about G-Dragon's current (former?) Korean-Japanese model girlfriend (who many still don't know is ethnically Korean on her mother's side), but...

R1500x1000

http://www.weibo.com/5474534259/DEXiGh83J?type=comment#_rnd1468814070971
https://www.instagram.com/p/BH4h1SFgu2p/
https://twitter.com/memi_heart/status/753984437491118081
https://twitter.com/ahoramirame/status/753989226023100416

Why a US-Japanese actress apologised to Chinese audiences
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36822525

An American-Japanese actress has issued a video apology to Chinese fans, after being accused of being anti-Chinese.

Kiko Mizuhara had been criticised for liking a photo on social media deemed offensive to China and allegedly appearing in photos which some saw as glorifying Japan's military past.

Some had threatened to boycott her latest film in response.

Her five-minute video, posted on Weibo, is being widely discussed online, with many asking why she felt she had to do it.

What is this row about?

Criticism first arose after Mizuhara was named as a character in No Other Love, a Chinese romantic comedy directed by popular Chinese actress Zhao Wei.

A photo began circulating online, said to be of her, showing a woman at the controversial Yasukuni Shrine in Japan.

The shrine is seen in China as a symbol of Japanese militarism in World War Two, as it honours the war dead, including convicted war criminals.

Another image showed a woman posing in front of Japan's Rising Sun flag, a symbol of imperialism.

Mizuhara was also accused of "liking" an Instagram post from 2013, which appeared to be a picture by controversial artist Ai Weiwei of someone raising a finger to China's Tiananmen Square.

What did she say?

In her video on Friday, the actress said she wanted to "sincerely apologise" to everyone in China, but also "clarify a few things", including that the Yasukuni picture was "definitely not me".

She added: "I would like to confirm that I am not in the [flag] picture and that I am a supporter of peace."

The Instagram like was a "regrettable incident", she said, but she had retracted it after she realised how inappropriate it was, saying that her friend too had deleted the photo.

She concluded by apologising in Mandarin and saying that "love and peace will bring us together and make the world a better place".

What has been the reaction?

The video has been shared more than 90,000 times on Weibo and received more than 140,000 comments, many noting how unhappy she looked.

The majority of the comments have been positive, some saying their "heart ached" watching it.

"Are we in the Cultural Revolution now?" asked one user on Weibo.

"I want to let you know we believe in you. In my heart you are always a lovely and brave girl who shows great goodwill to our country China. We love you and apologise to you," said another comment.

Someone posting on Mizuhara's own Instagram account said: "I am a Chinese, but I think you [haven't done anything] wrong, believe me, no good person would blame you."

The apology also prompted Taiwanese and Hong Kongers to post mock "apologies" of their own in the "First Annual Apologise to China Contest" Facebook group.

"I'm sorry I use a Xiaomi phone, but use an Apple iOS," said one user.

"I'm sorry the sky is so blue," another commented.

China and Japan's wartime history and ongoing territorial rows in the region have often led to a tense relationship, with nationalists on both sides seizing on seemingly trivial issues to make a point.

But others said Mizuhara was making herself out to be a victim, showing China to be a bully.

"Chinese netizens never asked her for an explanation or apology. Her doing this makes it seem like we're exercising our power," said another user. "We've never requested a foreigner to apologise."

Has this happened before?

No Other Love had already run into political trouble.

The Communist Youth League had encouraged a boycott of the film, saying its Taiwanese star Leon Dai was a pro-Taiwanese independence.

China regards Taiwan as a breakaway province to eventually be reunited with the mainland.

Mr Dai, who reportedly supported Hong Kong's pro-democracy Umbrella Movement and Taiwan's Sunflower movement, was replaced after he failed to clarify his political stance.

The film's production team later released a statement saying they "dedicate themselves wholeheartedly to China. We are all Chinese and we firmly support the one China policy."

Earlier this year, a Taiwanese member of Korean pop group Twice apologised in an online video after she was seen holding a Taiwanese flag while performing.

Chou Tzuyu, 16, later apologised on YouTube, saying that there was only "one China" and that she felt ashamed of how she had behaved.

나인뮤지스[9MUSES] - 9MUSES A COMEBACK trailer

Kyungri, Hyemi, Sojin and Keumjo subunit with a retro concept.

Some major bullshit lineup. What the fuck is Star Empire doing?

A subunit without Hyuna.... This does not bode well considering she always seems like the most 'passionate' in the group. You'd think she'd be the first choice as a sub-unit member.
Their name name is pretty cool though, surprising coming from Star Empire who is crap at naming groups.

Praise Hyemi.

Kazzy

·feist·;210763209 said:
Not sure anyone cares about G-Dragon's current (former?) Korean-Japanese model girlfriend (who many still don't know is ethnically Korean on her mother's side), but...

Why a US-Japanese actress apologised to Chinese audiences
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36822525

I'be been keeping up with this myself- pretty abhorrent. I'll never think that the culture to placate the masses is fine, because it gives you situations like this, where people have to 'acquiesce', when in reality, they didn't actually do anything wrong. Yet, this just adds fuel to the fire, and makes the 'netizens' feel more vindicated (as if they need it).

Bullying at it's finest, ugh. Makes me feel dirty just reading about it again.

Kazzy

In all seriousness, read some interviews like this:
part1
part2

Yep, just reinforces what I already think about her. I mean, alarm-bells should be ringing when the most in-depth answer, is this...

How many hours do you sleep a day?
It differs a lot from day to day. On days that I’m really tired, I just sleep. But usually, to fall asleep, I have to try hard to do so. It feels unfair that I have to try hard to go to sleep. Sleeping is something we’re born to be able to do. When we’re hungry, we eat, when we’re full we put down our spoon. I was born with this sort of basic human abilities. These are ‘basic items’ I was born with. But as I grew up, like a fool, I seem to have lost these, my ‘basic items’. Usually you develop these ‘basic items’ into ‘real items’ in life, yet I even lose my ‘basic items’. Seeing myself trying hard to find those ‘basic items’ for myself again, I seem like a fool and I feel frustrated. That’s a song I wrote on a day I felt really frustrated.

Either there is something lost in translation, or she really does have Jaden Smith levels of pretension. Sure IU, thanks for telling us that your flights of fancy leave you unable to remember basic bodily functions.

There’s nothing special about me. I’m not someone who holds steadfast to my values or beliefs in life. Depending on the situation, in the turn of a hand, I’m the kind of person to turn everything inside out. It’s hard to describe myself in a word. Since I might change in the next minute. Yes, I’m this sort of person.

That first sentence is kind of frightening, for a number of reasons. I get the impression this spiel is something that one tends to think sounds hugely introspective, but just highlights how much of an idiot you actually are.

"I'm a hollow doll, project onto me all you want!"

And there I was thinking this last album was the emergence of an actually personality. Well, maybe it is, but it's just a pretty lame one.

Peru

That first sentence is kind of frightening, for a number of reasons. I get the impression this spiel is something that one tends to think sounds hugely introspective, but just highlights how much of an idiot you actually are.

"I'm a hollow doll, project onto me all you want!"

And there I was thinking this last album was the emergence of an actually personality. Well, maybe it is, but it's just a pretty lame one.

If that's your interpretation you should start questioning your own powers of deduction.

Especially since you claim to have considered her latest album where she expands upon that idea. That's what 'Twenty-three' is all about - your sense of self shifts with the direction of the wind, your changing desires and the roles you have to play - and that's felt more keenly as you go through the process of becoming an adult.

As Madeleine Lee wrote in her review of the song,

more specifically, it’s an assertion that pretending to be something else is not a personality flaw but just a way to decide what one really is. “Ah, got it, I want to fall in love,” IU tells herself, like she’s just remembered what she walked into the room to do. But there’s a more mature-sounding voice somewhere that replies, “No, I’d rather make money.” The world assumes a dichotomy between the lovable bear girl and the sneaky fox woman, between the soaring string-backed chorus and the slinky electro-pop song. At 23, IU wants both, is both, and more.

and as IU comments further on in the interview about how people read her

Someone told me that he/she likes me. Reason being I’m clever in the way I behave. Because I’m clever and shrewd. The person likes me because I’m shrewd. Then someone else would say they like me. Reason being I don’t think too deeply and just say what I think. Then someone would say they don’t like me. Because I’m shrewd and manipulative. Then someone else would say they don’t like me because I’m dumb.

she's chosen, insofar as it's possible, to not define herself through simple headlines, and one of the interesting things about her both through her music and how she navigates life as a celebrity is her ability to honestly reflect on her situation without the cue cards so often pre-written for k-pop stars stating "my character is..". She's unapologetic in her greed for testing her limits.

Dice

·feist·;210763209 said:
I want a dance practice version of "Fantasy" to see the moves better. It wouldn't surprise me to learn this was done by the choreographer(s) behind "24 Hours"/"Full Moon" or perhaps Miss A's "Touch." The moves don't look as creative or distinct as "Touch," but some of them call to mind that under-loved gem.
How about an official MCD fancam?

Kazzy

lol it's like you're trying to misunderstand her

Haha, perhaps.

And I understand the intent or the interview, though it's mostly the wording and the way it's presented that I was taking issue with. It's a simple point to make, yet it's done in such a convoluted fashion.

I don't mind selfishness and ego, far from it. As mentioned, she's something of a novelty, precisely for the fact that she's not being directed a certain way. All of which is only more pertinent in this genre. I just wish the end product was something that I enjoyed. Perhaps it is a refreshing display of self-expression for most, but for me, the personality that comes out in the music, still feels fairly bland.

From what I've heard, I just don't like her music, and I guess I'm trying to reach for a more substantive reason, than simply "boring songs are boring."

Top Bottom