• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

Boss★Moogle;251891441 said:
So let me get this straight, you're citing WJSN and Gugudan whose main vocalists are Yeonjung and Sejeong, who are I.O.I members, to say that I.O.I has poor vocals?

You've named two amazing vocalists in a group of 11, that's less than 20% of the members. Want to talk about the other 9 members, who when given a choice between singing, rapping and dancing all chose dancing? Not to say they're all weak. I'd even go as far as say they're pretty good for idols who don't see themselves as vocalists. Yoojung in particular is pretty good. Aside from her, members like Chungha, Pinky and Somi have capable vocals, but none of them would ever amount to anything beyond a sub-vocal in a decent group. Not to mention actual weak vocalists like Chayeon, Sohye, Mina. For a group consisting of 9 members who don't identify as vocalists, one might argue that IOI are impressive, and IOIs two main vocalists are certainly impressive. They definitely had some amazing performances. But overall, I'd definitely rate IOI as a somewhat weak group when it comes to vocals, when compared to their peers. 2 (or 3 if you factor in Yoojung) vocalists of 11 does not make a strong vocal group, no matter how talented.

You are right that Sejeong and Yeonjung are main vocalists of Gugudan and WJSN, but both are 1 of 3 main vocalists of those groups. Soyee, Hebin, Soobin and Dawon are all fantastic vocalists as well. And that's before we even get to the lead vocalists of those groups. Like Nayoung, Dayoung, Seola... I'm sorry, but I see not way that IOI would not be able to keep up vocally.

Boss★Moogle;251891441 said:
I know Pristin has some good vocalists since I followed Pledis girls a bit before their debut, particularly Sungyeon, Eunwoo and Roa. That being said, you wouldn't really know this by listening to "Wee Woo" or "WE LIKE". Same goes for WJSN, none of their title songs really make use of strong vocals. Gugudan at least was able to show a little something vocally in "A Girl Like Me".

When I listen to SNSD, SISTAR, EXID, Girl's Day, AOA, miss A, the songs show off vocal talent better than the songs of artists that debuted from 2015 onward. So maybe citing a lack of vocal talent was not entirely accurate on my part and I should also put a lot of the blame on the songs of the 3rd gen groups that seem to really showcase vocal talent appropriately.

Well that's an entirely other subject, and not one that I either agree or disagree with. As a fan of Pristin I'll certainly agree with the fact that Wee Woo did particularly poor job of showcasing their strong vocals. We Like did a better job, but not like A Girl Like Me. Speaking of Pristin and strong vocals, you forgot something.... For the most part though it's not something I care particularly much about, so I don't have an opinion on it. As long as the songs are good, i don't care too much about all the other stuff.

To me it's so obvious that the industry is more competitive than ever. More and more boys and girls dream of becoming idols, and there are more talented singers, dancers and rappers than ever before. The only aspect where i don't see much improvement is in variety skills, but that's not something that is easily taught I think. There are more companies recruiting than ever before, yet even nugu companies can field groups with talented and attractive members.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Welp.

BLACKPINK Jennie and Teddy are reportedly dating

YG says they're looking into the report.

It's all so weird.
E67fB.gif

the forever kpop gif of legends

llehuty

Pretty sure Sixteens Jiwon made that group from the show no one watched, fromis or whatever. Seriously doubt it's her.
Ah, lol. I was googling Park Sisters and she showed up a couple of times, lol.

BTW, the girl part of the The Unit song is quite good. Maybe the multiple replays of the vido trying to identify idols was part of it.

Whos Park Jiwon?

I don't know, I kinda think she was mislabeled so no idea who it actually is.
I guess this is the most up-to-date list.

I'm kinda side-eyeing some of the boys because there's some that I always felt were unnecessary in their main groups. Which sounds kinda rude but yeah.
Boys Republic's Suwoong, SPEED's Sejun and Myname's Chaejin
. But I guess they are mostly visuals so. No one from Top Secret got identified yet.. omg if that entire group didn't make it. I think I kinda saw at least 2 in the very back though. Is there no 4K upload of this? >->
The girls look very OP at this point.

Boss Mog

Man, making a gorgeous girl like Seulgi look like that is a crime against humanity. Put that stylist on trial asap. Reminds me of the ugly mop SCANDAL Haruna has had on her head for the past couple of years.

llehuty

Those bells in the female parts of the The Unit song are so good! And BTW, if you want to have it in Spotify, people at KBS are stupid and have tagged it as The Uni+, despite it being referenced as The Unit everwhere else.

[MV] SF9 (에스에프나인) _ O Sole Mio(오솔레미오)
This is SO DAMN CHEESY. The spanish guitar, the cape outfits, the matador dance moves,... why? At least they are trying something different.

UP10TION(업텐션)_미치게 해(GOING CRAZY) M/V
Can't get more Teen Top sounding than this.

[M/V] HI CUTIE(하이큐티) - Play U(플레이유)
I'm calling it, next nation's girl group.

Was checking out these new releases and omg at SF9. I am kinda liking the song because it's catchy and it pulls off the latin vibes pretty well. But the use of language in the lyrics is so tacky. I watched a performance and these outfits ... it feels VERY tacked on like they're trying so hard. But the song is nice regardless of all that.

UP10TION probably has their best release in a while. I am all for that Teen Top sound as I friggin love Teen Top's music generally speaking. The choreo of UP10TION is always super tight too.

Lastly holy crap, I love the attempt at chiptune with HI CUTIE. I've always been looking out for k-pop that utilizes some form in the instrumental.
Girl's Day had a cute song that had the sound somewhat. There was a boygroup b-side but I can't remember right now. (It's not Boy's Republic's Video Game because it's not hat 8-bit sound.)

Lemme add: [마스크/MASC] 다해(Do it) M/V - they went from 4 to ... more members. Hmm, they were interesting as 4 since not many boyground have that number. It's a cool song, they definitely have their own vibe.

Those bells in the female parts of the The Unit song are so good! And BTW, if you want to have it in Spotify, people at KBS are stupid and have tagged it as The Uni+, despite it being referenced as The Unit everwhere else.

You know what I appreciate? The small rap part being during the female part of the song. Song is really catchy. For some reason I wasn't expecting a 'big budget' feel for this program, but I'm really into it.

Serri did an Instagram live but swerved all The Unit questions lmao. She acknowledged being part of a 'program' at some point but not by name.

Twice album is called Twicetagram...

Apparently the girls said Likey is their favourite Twice song and Defconn reckons it’s their best too. Sooo get hype.

Ym1r

In my 3rd year Korean class (intermediate-low level) we have to do presentations on a person, we can choose basically anybody, family, singers, actors, politicians and shit. I'm doing my presentation on Chaeyeon. so gud.

To show that I am indeed joining the church of Chaeyeon, I'm officially using said pic as my avatar.

Thankfully no one else is making a come back between now and Christmas... and yes, I already have a Santa hat edition ready to be uploaded once Thanksgiving is over haha.

Also Odd Eye Circle finished up promotions this week so it's a damn good time to change lol

llehuty

In my 3rd year Korean class (intermediate-low level) we have to do presentations on a person, we can choose basically anybody, family, singers, actors, politicians and shit. I'm doing my presentation on Chaeyeon. so gud.
"She is part of a group called DIA, and the fans of the group are AIDS. She is not very talented, but have you seen how beautiful she is?"

*Next slide show a fantaken picture of her*
*Next 20 slides show more pictures of her*

Hope you enjoyed it, become AIDS!"

Thankfully no one else is making a come back between now and Christmas... and yes, I already have a Santa hat edition ready to be uploaded once Thanksgiving is over haha.
KARD, Chungha, Twice, new Loona girls... what could possibly go wrong? :p

KARD, Chungha, Twice, new Loona girls... what could possibly go wrong? :p

Twice - Meh. We have enough Twice stans here.
KARD - We’ll see with this. I mean Somin is life and all but I haven’t seen anything avatar worthy from her recently.
Loona - Tbh I feel nothing can eclipse Kim Lip so yeah...

Chungha - okay now yeah this is a legitimate concern lol. If she drops a ballad then I think I’ll be fine as is, but if she drops another banger... then it’s going to be hard considering that Chaeyeon and Chungha seem to be the best of friends lol.

roaSone

Boss★Moogle;252186158 said:
She's on the track, but I don't think it has been confirmed whether or not she'll be joining music show performances and other promotions yet.
At least we can listen to her again, she was cruelly missing in my opinion in Eclipse.

Top Bottom