• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa Director: DQ XI Will Outsell Pokémon Sun & Moon And FF15 (JP sales) Combined

During a recent developer’s seminar in Tokyo, called “The Present Conditions and Prospects of the Game Industry,” Hamamura made an appearance and shared his expectations of Dragon Quest XI selling over 5 million units in Japan.

He continued by saying that he expects the game to outsell both Pokémon Sun & Moon (currently at about 4 million in Japan) and Final Fantasy XV (about 1 million in Japan). Hamamura added during the presentation that Dragon Quest XI could possibly sell even more than what he expects.

While 5 million sounds a bit too ambitious for any title in this day and age of the Japanese gaming market where giants like Pokémon are topping out at 4 million and Final Fantasy at a million, Hamamura says with the eventual release of the Nintendo Switch version, as well as the influx of new fans gathered from the smartphone titles Dragon Quest of the Stars and Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Lite, he expects to see big numbers.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/1...ll-pokmon-sun-moon-final-fantasy-xv-combined/

TheMoon

there was a thread days ago.

nvm apparently I must have confused this with a news post I saw on twitter instead

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds ambitious but if any series can do it it's probably Dragon Quest especially with all these different versions?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
He means 3DS will sell tons and PS4 will sell tons individually to different users? Possibly

Strimei

Feel like it would've been useful to mention "in Japan" in the title, if possible, since that's what he's talking about.

Because I came in here thinking he meant it outselling 20 million (Pokemon S&M and FFXV worldwide sales as of January this year).

Eusis

Oh he means Japan because DQ11 won't outsell will either worldwide.
I could easily see DQXI being the best selling entry yet outside of Japan for PS4(/Switch?) alone, but not to the level of knocking down FFXV or Pokémon, nevermind together.

Those are bold claims. I don't think it's impossible but idk. Even though's he's talking about Japan FF and Pokemon are both Juggernauts in their own rights.

mazpratim

I can believe it to be honest, I think people buying the 3DS version might also end up buying the Switch version down the line and double-dipping since they're pretty much different games.

sanstesy

Of course they have these sales expectations. They don't develop two seperate versions of a game only to sell the same amount as the last few DQ games.

If it hits that target is another story.

bigkrev

I think the game has a chance to hit 5 million world-wide if it's good and releases in a good calendar slot outside of Japan (ie, not in the Fall)

ksamedi

I guess with a Switch version with added feauteres I could ser many people double dip but even the DS version, which was insanely popular didnt do those numbers. We will see.

Bruno MB

This forecast is a pipe dream if it is only based on the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo 3DS versions of Dragon Quest XI. 4 million is a more realistic target. Then it will be up for the late Nintendo Switch version.

Edit: He is including the eventual release of the Nintendo Switch version, then I agree that it has potential to reach that mark. It is hard to believe that for example a Holiday 2017 release wouldn't at least sell over 500,000 units.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
With PS4, 3DS, and Switch versions, it does have potential to sell really well in Japan. Also, I imagine some fans will buy both the PS4 and 3DS versions since they are quite different, and I could see people triple dipping with Switch if it launches at a later date. But I have no idea if it will sell better than those other games combined.

They're doing PS4 and 3DS simultaneously, and then Switch later. Assuming the Switch version is based on the PS4 one, I can see a lot of Nintendo/handheld players snatching up 3DS at launch, and then double-dipping when the Switch one comes out. Meanwhile PS4 grabs those looking for the console experience right away. If any game could outsell those, it'd probably be DQ. It seems like what they're doing with the staggered Switch release is a smart idea, especially if it comes out around the holidays.

Big prediction, but fun to see how it'll all shake out.

Busaiku

Feel like it would've been useful to mention "in Japan" in the title, if possible, since that's what he's talking about.

Because I came in here thinking he meant it outselling 20 million (Pokemon S&M and FFXV worldwide sales as of January this year).

Oh he means Japan because DQ11 won't outsell will either worldwide.
No Dragon Quest game has ever outsold a mainline Pokémon game in Japan.

HeeHo

I hope it does. DQ seems to be one of the last remaining turn-based jRPG franchises that is actually quite big and is still on consoles.

Whales

Banned
Im just wondering why does Japan love DQ so much?

I mean, predicting it to beat both pokemon and final fantasyand being possibly right is crazy to me

antonz

I can see it reaching there. The Switch version coming later always made the most sense as it could potentially eat into the sales of PS4 and 3DS versions.

So they will ride the PS4/3DS version until the wheels fall off then say Switch version! And grab all the double dippers.

Aeana

There are a few factors consider here.

1) The Japanese console/traditional handheld market is shrinking
2) Dragon Quest doesn't have the mindshare with the younger generation that it has had with older ones
3) Dragon Quest's popularity remains with older generations who may be more likely to buy more than one version of the game
4) They will release the Switch version a while after the initial PS4+3DS launch, which will result in some sort of sales boost

Combining all of these, I think the prediction is not completely outrageous, but it'll be really interesting to see how Dragon Quest fares considering #1 and #2.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Since this will come out on three different platforms, 5 million seems rather likely.

Edit: Especially since 3DS and PS4 versions are very different, so there'll probably be a lot of people picking up both.

NoKisum

Meanwhile in America, it would probably sell maybe 3,000 copies. This is including the fellow GAF members heavily anticipating the game.

Oregano

There are a few factors consider here.

1) The Japanese console/traditional handheld market is shrinking
2) Dragon Quest doesn't have the mindshare with the younger generation that it has had with older ones
3) Dragon Quest's popularity remains with older generations who may be more likely to buy more than one version of the game
4) They will release the Switch version a while after the initial PS4+3DS launch, which will result in some sort of sales boost

Combining all of these, I think the prediction is not completely outrageous, but it'll be really interesting to see how Dragon Quest fares considering #1 and #2.

It might also be worth considering that IX was fundamentally designed to profilerate in a way that DQXI isn't(or so it appears up to now), DQIX's multiplayer focus and streetpass is undoubtedly a big factor in it being so successful.

Also it seems weird to me that he thinks the popularity of mobile DQs will help XI when that so far hasn't been the case in the Japanese market. Japan is the one place Sun/Moon weren't massive boosted by Pokémon Go for instance.

Vena

FFXV only sold a million? Damn Japan what happened?

Contracting market, PS4 hasn't been a big individual title seller with FFXV barely eking it to a million as, probably, the biggest title on the system to date. Hard to do more than what it has done when you consider all the factors, and the brand decay from FFXIII and its sequels.

udivision

FFXV only sold a million? Damn Japan what happened?
That's normal. Nintendo patented the concept of selling over a million units of a game in Japan. That's why its hard to find million sellers that aren't on their platforms, and why even the Wii U has its fair share of million sellers all things considered.

PSFan

I can believe it to be honest, I think people buying the 3DS version might also end up buying the Switch version down the line and double-dipping since they're pretty much different games.

We don't know that at all. Nothing has been heard or shown about the Switch version.

Top Bottom