• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaigler: NCL calls the shots on Localization

Sadist

Searched, found nothing: Lock if old.

I know all you Americans sometimes get pissed about NOA not localizing several titles to America, but according to Denise Kaigler (Nintendo's Vice President of Corporate Affairs) its not up to them to decide which games come to the US and I guess the EU as well. Plus, pre-E3 news: their conference might not be in the Kodak theatre.

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=3855

I just had the pleasure today of interviewing Nintendo of America's Vice President of Corporate Affairs, Denise Kaigler. Some of you may not have heard of her, but she has taken over the position once held by Perrin Kaplan—and she certainly knows her stuff.

Unfortunately, during the interview, my recording device decided to have a nervous meltdown. As a result, we are unfortunately not able to give you a transcript; but we still did get some information from her to relay to you.

* First of all, as you may have read in our exclusive newsbite a short time ago, the famed "Wii-kly Update" is changing its name to "Nintendo Download" starting April 6, after the DSi releases. It will include WiiWare, Virtual Console (including Arcade), and DSiWare announcements.

* I also asked her about how easy Wii is to find on shelves now. She told us the recent availability of Wii on store shelves is a direct result of Nintendo's pledge to increase stock by 50% in stores, and the out-of-stock rate at retailers is now only 10%. Nintendo unsurprisingly has no plans to reducing the price of the Wii, even in light of the Xbox360 Arcade's low price point. As it's still selling strong, there is no reason to do so.

* The number of Japanese titles that don't make it over has been a burning question in a number of folks' minds, so I asked about how that works. Denise told me Nintendo of America actually has very-little-to-no say about which titles escape Japan to go worldwide; NCL makes all decisions when porting games to new regions.

* Nintendo's E3 2009 press conference will be held in the a.m. on June 2nd. There is a possibility it will not be held at the Kodak theatre; but no further information was provided.

I also wanted to mention, though Denise didn't have anything for me on this point, that I ran into Nate Bihldorff prior to Iwata's keynote yesterday and inquired about a possible release for Professor Layton's second game in the States. (This was before Level-5 president Akihiro Hino confirmed that they were, in fact, working on localizing the second game for North American and European releases.) Bihldorff, of course, wouldn't confirm this in any way—but he did say "have faith." And so we do.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
well this stands in contrast to years of them saying they call the shots soooo

i suspect what she means is that the final say rests with NCL, which is a no brainer. NCL can force NOA to localize key titles (Wagamama Fashion, for example), NCL can veto certain localizations, etc. but i seriously, positively can't believe that NCL calls the shots all the way down the chain and this smells of passing the buck.

Stumpokapow nailed it. There's no reason NCL would be constantly saying no on so many titles compared to the past, even with their new business strategy, and especially when these titles are seeing release in Europe. NOA wants to make sure their bottom line looks golden.

bryehn

I'm with Stump on this one. I feel NOA is resting on their laurels at this point and simply playing it (too) safe.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stumpokapow said:
well this stands in contrast to years of them saying they call the shots soooo

i suspect what she means is that the final say rests with NCL, which is a no brainer. NCL can force NOA to localize key titles (Wagamama Fashion, for example), NCL can veto certain localizations, etc. but i seriously, positively can't believe that NCL calls the shots all the way down the chain and this smells of passing the buck.
Wouldn't this imply that NCL gives NoE the go ahead for certain titles and tells NoA to shove it? I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense...

And as Judge Judy says, if it doesn't make sense, it PROBABLY ISNT TRUE AHHGAHSDASDH

Vinci

Danish
Nice, nice. So we're still not getting shit, right? Gotcha. Good to know.

EDIT: Let me make this simple for you dumb fucks ... Bring EVERYTHING here! Country represents over 40% of the worldwide market - what the hell are you people smoking?!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Y2Kev said:
Wouldn't this imply that NCL gives NoE the go ahead for certain titles and tells NoA to shove it? I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense...

And as Judge Judy says, if it doesn't make sense, it PROBABLY ISNT TRUE AHHGAHSDASDH

Like I said, I suspect with the low/mid-tier stuff NCL said "your call" and NoE said "yup" and NoA said "nop".

I mean, NCL's gotta have veto authority because someone needs to authorize the discretionary spending for localization and often times Treehouse does the localization whether it's for Europe or America (Tingle was Treehouse, right?), so obviously there has to be some sense of priority or queue or workflow.

... but I can't possibly believe that if NCL was going to veto Disaster, they'd do it for Europe and not America. NOA made that choice. Let's be real here.

in the words of judge judy whoz da boss applesauce

[Nintex]

NoA/NoE: "Hay guyz, we have games, but we're not going to release those because... we don't know, it might not sell enough and money doesn't grow on Wii's..."

Iwata: "Leather suits aren't cheap ya know"

pakkit

Banned
Throw us a bone, Nintendo.

Disaster would be a great "summer blockbuster" release.
Fatal Frame 4 would be the Halloween release.
Captain Rainbow would be the "hey, we're still weird as fuck" release.

[Nintex] said:
NoA: "Hay guyz, we have games, but we're not going to release those because... we don't know, it might not sell enough and money doesn't grow on Wii's..."

Iwata: "Leather suits aren't cheap ya know"

Fixed.

There are still things to criticise NoE about, but this time around they've been a damn sight better at bringing titles here. NoA deserve the flak; NoE (largely) doesn't.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stumpokapow said:
Like I said, I suspect with the low/mid-tier stuff NCL said "your call" and NoE said "yup" and NoA said "nop".

I mean, NCL's gotta have veto authority because someone needs to authorize the discretionary spending for localization and often times Treehouse does the localization whether it's for Europe or America (Tingle was Treehouse, right?), so obviously there has to be some sense of priority or queue or workflow.

... but I can't possibly believe that if NCL was going to veto Disaster, they'd do it for Europe and not America. NOA made that choice. Let's be real here.

in the words of judge judy whoz da boss applesauce
Dont pee on my leg and tell me its raining!!!

[Nintex]

Cosmonaut X said:
Fixed.

There are still things to criticise NoE about, but this time around they've been a damn sight better at bringing titles here. NoA deserve the flak; NoE (largely) doesn't.
No Excite,
NoE sucks

No Excite,
NoE sucks

So NoA are so fucking bad at their job that they would rather lie and say that they are powerless lapdogs who just go to work to yap their gums and play Wii Sports, rather that just admit that their localization record is terrible because they make bad decisions.

Good to know.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
That's weird considering Iwata recently went on about how NCl had to basically sell the game to NOA in order to get them to publish it overseas. So Iwata says its NOA's decision and Kaigler says its NCL... passing the buck much? :lol

Top Bottom