• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaldaien's Nier Mod has an anti-piracy check - People got mad

So Kaldaiens FAR (Fix Automatas Resolution) Mod addd an anti-piracy check by checking whether the steam_api.dll file is legitimate.

So some people got mad and two people spammed his feedback thread and Kaldaien also banned them somehow from using the mod.

Massaki

Neo Member
Fair play, he can do what he wants with his own mod. He probably wants to support Square in bringing more games like NIER to the PC. Somebody will likely develop a way to circumvent the checks anyway (I mean they did crack denuvo lol)

Buzzman

Banned
So Kaldaiens FAR (Fix Automatas Resolution) Mod addd an anti-piracy check by checking whether the steam_api.dll file is legitimate.

So some people got mad and two people spammed his feedback thread and Kaldaien also banned them somehow from using the mod.

That's concerning. Is the mod communicating with a server?

PillarEN

Fair play, he can do what he wants with his own mod. He probably wants to support Square in bringing more games like NIER to the PC. Somebody will likely develop a way to circumvent the checks anyway (I mean they did crack denuvo lol)

That's pretty much all that can be said.

Mod his mod if you want to play on a pirated version. That's fair game. Flex ya self.

This

Any antecedents of mods with anti piracy measures?

As much as our ego loves this, it's quite concerning that the mod has to connect to an unknown server to check files. Who knows what else the mod checks for or otherwise secretly installs on your computer. Mods are best used as offline programs for security reasons.

mieumieu

Was this what Kaldaien got banned for?

I haven't read this specific thread but before he has some temper issues when arguing with people. Not surprised if he got banned for that.

As much as our ego loves this, it's quite concerning that the mod has to connect to an unknown server to check files. Who knows what else the mod checks for or otherwise secretly installs on your computer. Mods are best used as offline programs for security reasons.

IIRC, his mod has its own update server. You can update the mod with its own manager program.
Also the the mods are all free software so you can compile them yourself.

Cleve

Holy shit, I thought youtube comment sections were bad. Now I remember why I don't browse steam forums.

If you can be banned for being rude, that thread needs to be nuked from orbit.

Kthulhu

Solution: don't pirate games.

Hopefully it isn't.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Did he get banned for insulting people or banned for some part of his mod violating Steam TOS?

Cyanity

Banned
Don't pirate Nier. It's a fucking masterpiece, and well worth your time and money.

good luck getting the final ending without a server connection

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hah, though you're getting the lesser experience if you can't connect to an online server anyway.

I'll just leave it at that.

Blam

Yeah as much as I hate piracy as the next guy. This isn't the right way of doing it. How about something less DRMy like showing a dialog before the game starts up?

Yeah as much as I hate piracy as the next guy. This isn't the right way of doing it. How about something less DRMy like showing a dialog before the game starts up?

It is a mod. You can still pirate the Game as its cracked. You just cant use the mod.

boblemoche

Neo Member
Yeah, it seems like a decent thing to do for a developer, if only to stop people with weird issues due to piracy asking for support.

Don't pirate Nier. It's a fucking masterpiece, and well worth your time and money.

good luck getting the final ending without a server connection

This isn't about pirating the game, Kale' made a mod that allowed for alt resolutions that weren't supported by bass game.

tuxfool

Banned
His method isn't particularly robust, it certainly doesn't compare to modern DRM. If someone really wanted to, they could make his mod work with a pirated copy.

However, somebody would have to work to do that.

Gbraga

Honestly, that's a bit concerning. I didn't know he could do something like that. Maybe I just didn't read the thread properly before installing the mod.

I'm totally fine with the mod not working on pirated copies, but that was already modded by pirates. As always with this kind of stuff, only the honest consumers are at risk here, pirates find a way to circumvent any of the crap we have to deal with.

It is a mod, though, so I guess I could always just uninstall if I'm not comfortable with it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If it's that easy to detect piracy why don't games use this method?

Because the cracked exe is made to work together with the altered steamapi.dll

Because of how he acts on Steam forums. He's an egomaniacal man-child.

Is he? I've had complaints about changes he made to TZFix (which resulted in bad performance drops on my end) and he responded by calmly explaining his reasoning for the changes made, he's always quick to respond if you have a question too

Top Bottom