• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaldaien's Nier Mod has an anti-piracy check - People got mad

Because there's a difference banning someone from a server and writing code specifically to target someone you don't like (while distributing that code on the discussion board that the mods/Square Enix themselves stickied at the top). Again, you think Valve and Square Enix would approve?

The implications of people targeting each other using SteamIDs to target people they don't like and take their toys away from each other is pretty dangerous. Especially within modding communities for stuff like Bethesda games and Arma.

We don't need more shitty behavior from modders. Trust me.

What we really don't need is your delusional entitlement. Valve and Square Enix in no way are endorsing this mod, this is a mod made by an outsider, there's plenty of links shared on Steam Forums from stuff the Valve doesn't endorse, so your point is moot.
He black listed the guys that spammed the forum threads and were endorsing piracy, so I simply don't care. He's not making a precedent, the tools to black list people using Steam API has been in there for a long time.
Btw Modders make performance mods to help themselves and others to get the game to simply just perform better, why do you think Modders suddenly want to literally start limiting who uses? And even so, would that be wrong? You have no right in saying what they should or not do, they're doing charity.
The only thing this whole situation could make a precedent is more modders could follow his example and restrict their mods to only legitimate users, and I bet that scares a lot of the people that were bashing him on the Steam forums.

Nillansan

Yes, Alexander, tell us about Mass Weaponization of SteamID in Iraq.

Not sure why this piece of shit troll is still around given that he harassed Kaldaien over on the Steam Community forums in addition to the mindnumbing idiocy he demonstrated in this very thread.

MUnited83

For you.
Because there's a difference banning someone from a server and writing code specifically to target someone you don't like (while distributing that code on the discussion board that the mods/Square Enix themselves stickied at the top). Again, you think Valve and Square Enix would approve?

The implications of people targeting each other using SteamIDs to target people they don't like and take their toys away from each other is pretty dangerous. Especially within modding communities for stuff like Bethesda games and Arma.

There is no fucking difference at all. Someone can ban you from their community server for literally WHATEVER REASON THEY WANT, even if they want to ban all people called Alexander. Even if their community server is the SINGLE ONE running a specific mod. You are not motherfucking entitled to use that server. Make your fucking own server with that mod if you want it that much.

Holy fucking shit stop with your dumb conspiracy theories already, this won't magically make all modders start to use similar measures, why the fuck are you still insisting on that horribly dumb argument?

theultimo

What toys are you talking about? Modders can blacklist whoever they want, its not your right to have access.

This was explained many times in this thread the reason for it. The whataboutism does not matter.

Considering you have been banned from said discussion on steam due to lack of evidence of your assumptions, is it in steams right to ban said discussion? The implications of valve targeting individuals who lack evidence could take their toys away is pretty dangerous.

Regardless of whether or not it hurts sales, I think taking something you have not paid for is pretty ethically clear, especially when we're talking a luxury item like a game. I also think the idea that 100% of said pirates would never have spent even a penny on the game otherwise is likely to be pirate rhetoric and not actually indicative of truth, and if piracy hurts sales even slightly there's no room for grey area.

Like seriously, stealing is wrong. Piracy is the theft of luxury entertainment products. How is it defensible?

It's more indicative of truth than the other side of the argument. As the gaming industry has indeed grown on PC with piracy still attached to it.

Let's face it, "blame the pirates" is what Trump-like management people scapegoat as to why their dog shit software didn't get any sales.

Do you hear the witcher devs blaming piracy for their lack of sales? Do you hear the witcher devs crying about how they aren't making bank? Cos of those filthy dirty pirates?

No you don't because they are raking money. As are all the games that are actually competently crafted and fun experiences.

And quit it with this "wrong" morality nonsense. A lot of shit is wrong. And if you end up going down that path well probably chuck your iPhone away, as I'd argue paying a small Chinese child to manufacture your iPhone for you at 1 bucks at day is wrong too. But that's again, the reality of the situation that we accept.

Datschge

Whenever I look into Kaldaien threads on steam community it's striking how differently owners behave from visitors that don't have the owner badge shown. Keeps me wondering whether there is a way to restrict posting in threads to just owners, should massively improve the posts quality.

Basketball

We have an ungrateful fucking idiot amongst us.

The gaming community is toxic as fuck.
Don't waste your breath, he's an idiot.

Just fuck off already, you guys have stirred up enough shit.

No they fucking don't, get it through your thick skull.

Read. The. Fucking. Thread. Cunt.

Not sure why this piece of shit troll is still around given that he harassed Kaldaien over on the Steam Community forums in addition to the mindnumbing idiocy he demonstrated in this very thread.
Have a coke and a smile

you might burst a blood vessel

jacobeid

Banned
It's more indicative of truth than the other side of the argument. As the gaming industry has indeed grown on PC with piracy still attached to it.

Let's face it, "blame the pirates" is what Trump-like management people scapegoat as to why their dog shit software didn't get any sales.

Do you hear the witcher devs blaming piracy for their lack of sales? Do you hear the witcher devs crying about how they aren't making bank? Cos of those filthy dirty pirates?

No you don't because they are raking money. As are all the games that are actually competently crafted and fun experiences.

And quit it with this "wrong" morality nonsense. A lot of shit is wrong. And if you end up going down that path well probably chuck your iPhone away, as I'd argue paying a small Chinese child to manufacture your iPhone for you at 1 bucks at day is wrong too. But that's again, the reality of the situation that we accept.

Ok, let's boil this down a bit. Please argue why you think that taking and using something (stealing, infringing upon, whatever you want to call it) you didn't pay for is any way considered good.

The only thing they lose access to is the mod. Once again, boo fucking hoo territory

This time. And the only reason people know is because it's open source. Everyone going on about how it's his "right", okay, I get that but it's also Valve's API and it's also Square Enix' discussion board. Let them handle it now that they're aware specific SteamIDs are targeted in code being distributed on their website.

I'd rather be the idiot you say I am than be the guy who looks up people's SteamIDs and implements a mechanic so those targeted users can never and will never use my fixes to ensure they have a poor experience. This guy doesn't have the best reputation and he's been very spiteful in the past.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If I don't like someone why should I let that person use my work. This is luxury product shit not someones well being in life on the line.

The world isn't sunshine and rainbows. No one deserves whatever they want just because they want it.

ViolentP

I enjoy threads like these, Threads that have a clear defining line between right and wrong and those that adamantly choose to defend the wrong out of sheer lack of perspective. It's one of the more educational threads.

Ok, let's boil this down a bit. Please argue why you think that taking and using something (stealing, infringing upon, whatever you want to call it) you didn't pay for is any way considered good.

I'm not saying it's good, I'm not saying it's bad. It's just, reality.

Kaldaien

Neo Member
Figured I'd drop in and correct a few things before kowtowing back to those awful toxic Steam forums where I do my development.

1. The blacklist of users was established nearly a year ago when (as you'r probably familiar) Steam moderators did absolutely nothing to stop a rash of troll flood posts while I was trying to offer support for the two mods I was working on at the time. Nobody has been added since, nobody ever will -- largely because I'm done with that entire toxic community.
  2. I was banned for calling someone who was lodging lie after lie after lie about how my software works a "pirate moron". This is not an insult to anyone, it's comically ineffective as an insult. If I wanted to insult these people I could think of much better language.
  3. My anti-piracy measures actually have nothing to do with my personal views on individual piracy. I don't condone the practice, I don't generally think highly of people who do it, but this is not done to punish them. It is to protect me against asset injection of copyrighted material, which began to happen in my mods between Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Berseria.

It is the party who facilitates copyright infringement who always takes the fall, never the end-user who commits the crime. So pirates - take my actions as some sort of punishment if you will, but they're not even about you - I don't care in the slightest what you do as long as I'm not tied to it.

There is now a license that requires a simple SteamAPI validity check. Nothing malicious happens if you fail this check, you're just presented with an infinite license screen that you can click Accept on but since you don't respect licenses the license doesn't respect your click.

Pirates are free to
  1. Uninstall the mod and accept that you're not entitled to everything in this world and acting like a giant baby because you don't get your way is immature.
  2. Obtain a modified version from someone else who condones piracy and who can take responsibility for how their modification is used.

• Either way I don't care, you're out of my hair and that's 5 minutes of my time well spent.

ViolentP

I think it's quite simple. If you choose to pirate, you relinquish any rights and opinions regarding any level of development.

Yarbskoo

Just because it's not a physical good doesn't mean you can't steal it, even if it isn't under the law called stealing. I don't believe there's as much of a distinction between stealing and piracy as you're trying to imply. Whether it's a manufactured good or a digital good, there was a great deal of time and cost sunk into the production of said product. The only real difference I see is manufacturing cost. And again, quibbling about the semantics of it all fails to address the actual point that was in the post you quoted.

Instead of me trying to explain why copyright infringement is different from theft, why don't you explain the similarities between theft and copyright infringement. Keep in mind that theft doesn't only affect companies, and that objects can have value beyond their potential resale value.

And honestly I'm not sure what then original post's point was. An ethical decision, "This is morally wrong" isn't necessarily the same as an economic decision "This is harmful to your business".

I was just pointing out that the second paragraph is irrelevant and false, because piracy and theft are not the same.

This time. And the only reason people know is because it's open source. Everyone going on about how it's his "right", okay, I get that but it's also Valve's API and it's also Square Enix' discussion board. Let them handle it now that they're aware specific SteamIDs are targeted in code being distributed on their website.

I'd rather be the idiot you say I am than be the guy who looks up people's SteamIDs and implements a mechanic so those targeted users can never and will never use my fixes to ensure they have a poor experience. This guy doesn't have the best reputation and he's been very spiteful in the past.

So you think Valve and Square will pick this up
giphy.gif

jacobeid

Banned
Figured I'd drop in and correct a few things before kowtowing back to those awful toxic Steam forums where I do my development.

1. The blacklist of users was established nearly a year ago when (as you'r probably familiar) Steam moderators did absolutely nothing to stop a rash of troll flood posts while I was trying to offer support for the two mods I was working on at the time. Nobody has been added since, nobody ever will -- largely because I'm done with that entire toxic community.
  2. I was banned for calling someone who was lodging lie after lie after lie about how my software works a "pirate moron". This is not an insult to anyone, it's comically ineffective as an insult. If I wanted to insult these people I could think of much better language.
  3. My anti-piracy measures actually have nothing to do with my personal views on individual piracy. I don't condone the practice, I don't generally think highly of people who do it, but this is not done to punish them. It is to protect me against asset injection of copyrighted material, which began to happen in my mods between Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Berseria.

It is the party who facilitates copyright infringement who always takes the fall, never the end-user who commits the crime. So pirates - take my actions as some sort of punishment if you will, but they're not even about you - I don't care in the slightest what you do as long as I'm not tied to it.

There is now a license that requires a simple SteamAPI validity check. Nothing malicious happens if you fail this check, you're just presented with an infinite license screen that you can click Accept on but since you don't respect licenses the license doesn't respect your click.

Pirates are free to
  1. Uninstall the mod and accept that you're not entitled to everything in this world and acting like a giant baby because you don't get your way is immature.
  2. Obtain a modified version from someone else who condones piracy and who can take responsibility for how their modification is used.

• Either way I don't care, you're out of my hair and that's 5 minutes of my time well spent.

Also wanted to say thank you for the mod. It greatly improved my experience with the game and I appreciate it.

ViolentP

Pirates are free to

Respekt knucks.

Kvik

I must say, it is rather hilarious to read numerous post in the FAR thread without a mouse icon next to their steam username asking for support, then gets upset when being told they are a pirate. :)

Instead of me trying to explain why copyright infringement is different from theft, why don't you explain the similarities between theft and copyright infringement. Keep in mind that theft doesn't only affect companies, and that objects can have value beyond their potential resale value.

And honestly I'm not sure what then original post's point was. An ethical decision, "This is morally wrong" isn't necessarily the same as an economic decision "This is harmful to your business".

I was just pointing out that the second paragraph is irrelevant and false, because piracy and theft are not the same.

I explained in the very post you quoted, or do you want me to go further and say that taking something for free against the wishes of a distributor when they're counting on making money from it is bad? Piracy and theft are relevantly similar to the point where they can be treated in a similar ethical light, unless you can provide some decent reasons why not. I provided that a digital good is still a good that costs time and money to produce. The lack of manufacturing cost and the focus on companies rather than individuals being affected does not make it different in a relevant way. Because piracy causes harm (outside of a virtually impossible best case scenario where no pirates would ever consider buying the game) it is morally wrong. In this light, no, I don't think my second paragraph was irrelevant OR false. What's the argument for it not being considered stealing?

Pirates are free to

Keep doing the good work. As already said in this thread earlier, do you have a donation page or Patreon or something? The last thing I want is for people like you to stop doing what you're doing for the community because of entitled pieces of crap.

Hexa

"Nothing malicious happens if you fail this check, you're just presented with an infinite license screen that you can click Accept on but since you don't respect licenses the license doesn't respect your click."

That's great. lol
Keep being awesome and thank you for the good work.

MUnited83

For you.

There is no code whatsoever being distributed on their website.
I also guarantee you both SE and Valve DO NOT GIVE A FLYING SHIT ABOUT IT. It's his right to block whoever he wants and always will be. Why the fuck you keep ignoring this? Jesus Christ just go back to 4Chan already.

Yjynx

LOL since when did argument about piracy become so complicated? You're a fucking thief and you have no rights at all. What you did beyond any doubt costs the developer - no matter what. But but the Witcher 3? Well not every dev is CD project you fucking sub-human.

Apologize for my language as thats the nicest one I can muster.

Edit: I truly hope all future mod would do similar thing.

Mivey

1. My anti-piracy measures actually have nothing to do with my personal views on individual piracy. I don't condone the practice, I don't generally think highly of people who do it, but this is not done to punish them. It is to protect me against asset injection of copyrighted material, which began to happen in my mods between Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Berseria.

First of all: You do great, great work for shoddy JRPG ports! Keep up the fight!
And, what does this mean? Are people replacing textures or putting in new models? That sounds like normal modding to me. Like, clearly the people uploading such mods (even if they use or require your mod to be installed first) are responsible for any possible infringement, right? I mean, not even DMCA can be that defective.

Why hesitate to say it's bad?

It really, really makes me wonder when people can't make a no-brainer concession like that, despite the fact that it would not impair their arguments whatsoever, far as I can tell.
I was involved in piracy circles ten years ago that many aren't even aware exist. I know the defenses and arguments by heart. And I know where the reluctance to admit something as simple as 'piracy is bad' tends to stem from, from personal experience.
I'm not accusing anybody, but that shit just seems telling.

Why hesitate to say it's bad?

Because I don't have access to data sets or any kind of analytical economic data to suggest that it is tangibly bad.

Unless principally what you mean, Moses coming down from the mountain saying Thou Shalt Not Steal and all that , stealing is bad sure.

Knurek

LOL since when did argument about piracy become so complicated? You're a fucking thief and you have no rights at all. What you did beyond any doubt costs the developer - no matter what. But but the Witcher 3? Well not every dev is CD project you fucking sub-human.

Well, it's all about the ethics in PC mod development.

Gbraga

I saw Kaldaien at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Yarbskoo

I explained in the very post you quoted, or do you want me to go further and say that taking something for free against the wishes of a distributor when they're counting on making money from it is bad? Piracy and theft are relevantly similar to the point where they can be treated in a similar ethical light, unless you can provide some decent reasons why not. I provided that a digital good is still a good that costs time and money to produce. The lack of manufacturing cost and the focus on companies rather than individuals being affected does not make it different in a relevant way. Because piracy causes harm (outside of a virtually impossible best case scenario where no pirates would ever consider buying the game) it is morally wrong. In this light, no, I don't think my second paragraph was irrelevant OR false. What's the argument for it not being considered stealing?

When you steal something, you have the thing and the original owner does not.

When you buy a copy of a game, rip the data, and distribute it to a million people on the internet, you have made a copy and passed it around without permission (copyright infringement), but have not stolen anything. You have the disc you acquired by legit means. There is no theft here.

If someone downloads that copy, they haven't stolen anything either. The guy who uploaded it without permission (copyright infringement) gave it to you willingly, and even after it's on your computer, it's still also on his so he's lost nothing. The only party who's actually lost anything is the original publisher, who lost a potential sale. As I'm sure you will agree, a potential sale is not a real thing that actually exists and thus cannot be stolen any more than someone who was never born can be murdered. There is not theft here.

Also, not all piracy is harmful to a business (old ass games whose publishers have long since gone out of business) and not all things that are harmful to a business are ethically problematic (negative reviews, competition, market saturation).

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I saw Kaldaien at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Is this a new meme?

Gbraga

SteamID tagged soldiers carry SteamID tagged weapons, use SteamID tagged gear...

Mods and fixes inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Resolution control. Bloom control. CPU Usage control. Camera control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

prudislav

My anti-piracy measures actually have nothing to do with my personal views on individual piracy. I don't condone the practice, I don't generally think highly of people who do it, but this is not done to punish them. It is to protect me against asset injection of copyrighted material, which began to happen in my mods between Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Berseria.
so the main reason si to protect you from problems if people use your mod to do copyrighted texture mods or something aka CaD letters

so no more halving FPS and messing lowing textures like you did in Berseria

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

• I was banned for calling someone who was lodging lie after lie after lie about how my software works a "pirate moron". This is not an insult to anyone, it's comically ineffective as an insult. If I wanted to insult these people I could think of much better language.

I don't know anything about the situation or have any opinion about the issue more broadly, but calling someone a moron is insulting them. You're not arguing you didn't insult him, you're arguing he deserved it. Which is fine, but most forums will agree that in order to prevent conversation from exploding, you need to have a rule that people can't insult each other, even if one side of the argument is correct.

I understand how complicated the whole piracy discussion is, but jesus christ, and i dont like to use the word, but the sense of entitlement from some posters here is ridiculous.
so the main reason si to protect you from problems if people use your mod to do copyrighted texture mods :-/
to protect him from C&D, which in turn protects legit users so they can continue to use the mod.

jrcbandit

First of all: You do great, great work for shoddy JRPG ports! Keep up the fight!
And, what does this mean? Are people replacing textures or putting in new models? That sounds like normal modding to me. Like, clearly the people uploading such mods (even if they use or require your mod to be installed first) are responsible for any possible infringement, right? I mean, not even DMCA can be that defective.

Part of it was people pirating DLC costumes using his mod to replace textures and he doesn't want to risk being associated with that as an enabler.

Obtain a modified version from someone else who condones piracy and who can take responsibility for how their modification is used.

Unrelated, this is an excellent opportunity for a pirate to learn how to at least build code. Then they can get a job real quick, make some money, and buy games. :)

Top Bottom