• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Kamala Harris introduces bill to lengthen school day by three hours, school day would be 8 AM to 6PM

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/sen-kamala-harris-introduces-bill-to-lengthen-school-day-by-three-hours.html

Presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., introduced a bill Wednesday that would lengthen the school day to 6 p.m. to better align with working parents’ schedules.
The proposal, first reported by Mother Jones, calls for a three-hour extension of elementary school hours during weekdays and appoints money for the creation of summer programs and activities when school is not in session.
Five-year grants of up to $5 million would go to school districts serving a high number of low-income families to push the end of the average school day from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. in 500 schools. School days typically start at 8 a.m. Teachers and faculty, the bill says, would not have to work additional hours unless they sign up for an extra shift, for which they would be compensated at the rate they get during normal school hours.
The bill proposes that the grant money go to extracurricular activities like electives in “music, arts, athletics, writing and engineering,” Harris’ senate office told CNBC. The extra time can also go toward dance and theater programs, among other enrichment activities, the office said. but it leaves the scheduling of the day open to school administrators.
Democratic Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, Jeff Merkley of Oregon, Sherrod Brown of Ohio and presidential candidate Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado are co-sponsoring the bill. The legislation, named the Family Friendly Schools Act, targets low-income and working families who can’t afford to pay for child care in between the time a student finishes with school and a parent returns home from work.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kamala, what a way to make the next generation of people hate you.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Why not just make the school day start at noon and end at midnight? Best of both worlds, kids start late and then finish late!

Oh great line about Teachers won't have to work more they will have to "volunteer" to work the extra shifts at regular pay LOL. And we all know these extra activites won't be things like math or science or physical education, most likely they will run gender studies and drag queen reading stories or commies for teenagers as the extra activities.

But I guess you gotta pour more money into the school system so there is more to skim for the corrupt unions.

Jun 10, 2004
Southern California
mcucosmic.com
BAHAHA

Enjoy, losers who voted for this lady. How's the state treating you?
That's what people don't get about CA. They didn't have a choice. In CA, the top two people in a primary move on regardless of the party. So in CA, 99% of the time it's two dems running against each other.

So for Kamala they had the choice between her and Loretta Sanchez, who some would call dumb as a brick but that would be insulting to a brick. Kamala won by default due to the rigged CA primary system.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: CausticVenom

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I don't blame her for the proposal. She's in a race to bankrupt the country for primary votes, but Bernie and Liz already cornered the market on virtually every possible 50 trillion dollar expenditure. She's had to find something new, and this was a noble start.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I don't blame her for the proposal. She's in a race to bankrupt the country for primary votes, but Bernie and Liz already cornered the market on virtually every possible 50 trillion dollar expenditure. She's had to find something new, and this was a noble start.
Of course it is. Bankrupt the nation, that way you are under their whim with social programs and handouts. Welfare expanded.

Just look at how they treat their sanctuary cities, if you want an idea of how they want the entire nation's landscape to look for their masters.

Then you fear voting against the party, since you will lose your "benefits" they conditioned you with.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Im guessing there must be some sort of provision somewhere along the lines to get rid of private day cares/babysitters because "rich" people will have an advantage when their children can be watched by a babysitter or stay at a day care after school.

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
Probably not the best idea for kids to be getting out of school when it's dark out, which it is at 6 pm for more than 50% of the school year.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
a horrible horrible idea. not only does this alienate children further from their families, it puts more of a strain on the school system themselves. the idea that teachers & faculty won't have to work extra hours is laughable. where are all the extra teachers going to come from? and if we start training a whole bunch of extra teachers for these extra shifts, won't that drive down demand, and thus, wages? fucking stupid. we already have a teacher shortage in this country
By the 2017-2018 school year, the country was estimated to have a shortage of over 110,000 teachers. Those numbers come from the Learning Policy Institute. However, EPI researchers Emma Garcia and Elaine Weiss argue that such estimates are still far too low.

Teachers and faculty, the bill says, would not have to work additional hours unless they sign up for an extra shift, for which they would be compensated at the rate they get during normal school hours.
hey do you want to work overtime? cool! but you only get paid the same as normal working hours!

all of this sounds like a bad idea

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Let's fix everything else that's wrong with our education system before we start worrying about how long kids are in school.
I absolutely agree, and, in the interest of offering an olive branch to someone I normally disagree with wholeheartedly, would like to humbly suggest we start with whatever school you went to.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Maybe make it optional for children of parents who work late? But aren't those basically extracurricular activities?

Oct 26, 2018
If you run a daycare centre, you are licking your chops and voting Kamala guns a blazing.

Mom and dad picking up their kid from school will try to time it with picking up their two year old at a daycare.

Last edited:

Petrae

Nov 19, 2006
West Springfield, MA
www.youtube.com
Nothing like reinforcing the stereotype that schools are nothing but glorified babysitting services.

Here’s an idea: Stop reproducing before thinking about how to care for your fucking children, and stop making taxpayers foot the fucking bill if you can’t honor your parental responsibility.

From the kids’ perspective: Think about how much kids hate school now. Then extend the day by 50%, and think about how much more they’re going to hate it.

From a staffing perspective? Good luck with that. Every third kid has a 504 plan or an IEP and requires some kind of special service or accommodation. Where is the government going to find qualified people to work with these kids once the few qualified teachers who do go home? Are they just going to be warm bodies who try to keep the kids from doing stupid shit for the last three hours of the day? Where is the value in that? Qualified teachers are already frustrated with the behavior problems and lack of respect and other issues— so they’re not “volunteering” for jack shit. They need those extra three hours for their sanity.

From a facilities perspective: You’re now adding three hours of extra heat, extra electricity, and extra general stress to the building and facility every day. That’s 540 additional hours in a standard school year, plus mandatory summers. In some regions, schools don’t have air conditioning, so extra money would be needed for that. It’s a significant expense.

I mean, this bill has about as much of a chance at becoming law as Andrew Yang has at winning this election... but it’s a patently ridiculous bill to begin with.

Oct 26, 2018
Here’s an idea: Stop reproducing before thinking about how to care for your fucking children, and stop making taxpayers foot the fucking bill if you can’t honor your parental responsibility.
I've mentioned in those forum a few times about parents being responsible for their kids and the gov shouldn't be bailing out parents acting like retards.

If you can't care and pay for a kid, or act like a drunk or druggie, then don't be a parent.

Who knew buying a pack of rubbers for $10 was the most expensive thing on Earth.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
Fucking terrible idea. Most kids don't have the patience for that.
I had that level of schooling when I was a kid. From the ages of about 8 - 18. We started 8.15 and ended 17:45.

This level of schooling in very common in the UK. I had the patience for it, but I was also always exhausted. Used to come home and collapse, nap for an hour then do home work.

Reactions: IKSTUGA

IKSTUGA

Jan 9, 2019
I had that level of schooling when I was a kid. From the ages of about 8 - 18. We started 8.15 and ended 17:45.

This level of schooling in very common in the UK. I had the patience for it, but I was also always exhausted. Used to come home and collapse, nap for an hour then do home work.
My worst days were in high school and even they were only from 8 to 16. If you throw in extra P.E. classes I can kinda understand, but making kids sit down all day is just counterproductive.

Caffeine

Jan 17, 2013
i thought it was death to go to 3pm. at like 2:10 you just keep staring at the clock tbh. take a bathroom break walk around the campus to burn time. fuck that 6th class your in the teacher wants to go home too.

Last edited:

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
No way this passes. This is just a desperate attempt to pump up her flailing presidential campaign.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
On paper, I don't completely hate this. I would definitely make a few tweaks like making it optional and 6 is too late. Maybe 4 or 5 at the very latest. The other condition is that there would be absolutely ZERO homework required.

But in reality, like with all Liberal plans, the outcome would be absurd. It would likely just introduce additional indoctrination to children and increase taxes to pay for the teacher's overtime

Reactions: Jinzo Prime

Blade2.0

Dec 3, 2018
I'd be fine with changing it to a 9-5 schedule so parents have more time togt with them, but honestly we should be decreasing time at school (and work) because we already know long hours are bad for humans.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
We should let kids test out of classes and get out of school early if they can maintain a certain level of attendance and grades. Heck, I worked in high-school and it would've been sweet to finish my classes and go work instead of listening to a lecture about material that I already aced.

The slack-jawed idiots who need a State-funded babysitter to keep them from a life of crime and idleness can drool all over their desks from 8am to 6pm for all I care, just give the good students a way to skip the nonsense.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
imagine going to school in the dark and then getting out and it's also dark. and you are in elementary school! you get to see the sun for 30 mins during recess and on the weekends. what a miserable childhood you would have.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
More time to indoctrinate the kids.

If they survive that long, at a certain point they get riled up as they wait for the bell, extending that time... Yeah good luck keeping them in check.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
just the idea of dropping all this additional work onto already struggling low income school districts... it's like... did anyone fucking think this through???

like, if she just said "We're going to give billions to low income schools to improve their infrastructure and hire better teachers" that would actually help. but tying it to also extending the hours of a school day? it's a recipe for screwing with what they had before as well as creating all new problems to deal with.

funny it coming from Copmala tho. she would know a thing or two about detaining people for longer than usual in a state run facility.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

Obviously unverified, but...

Edit: whooops, wrong thread. Off to the election thread we go...

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Shaqazooloo