• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamala Harris to Co-Sponsor Single Payer Healthcare

Rootbeer

Banned
I voted for her in the last election. Very proud of her so far.

I had no idea who she was at the time. I looked at the ballot, searched on youtube for the names, found a debate video between her and her top opponent in the election. She easily won me over. I think she has a shot at President for sure if she wants it.

G.ZZZ

Amazing that it's still something controversial to campaign on something like this.

Maybe in 20 years we'll get someone to talk about the moneyed interests destroying democracy, if it ain't destroyed already.

She's still the one that left Mnuchin go. Hard pill to swallow when he was someone that fraudly evicted thousands of poor families during the recession. You'd hardly could find a worse shitstain of a human being, no wonder he's on the trump admin.

Start with what you want ideally and then compromise to get something passed.

A public option and early Medicare buy in would be massive wins that would move us much closer to universal healthcare. That is what I expect to see passed when the Dems are back in power.

I'm not sure single-payer will be an issue that wins elections. It's objectively good policy but requires higher taxes so Americans will collectively go "nope" because of their allergy to taxes

Fuchsdh

I look forward to those opposed to Bernie's healtchcare plan to 180 and support Harris in full.

Genius. Forward-thinking. Humane.

Bernie?

Moronic. Pipe-dream. Not fiscally possible.

Well, we haven't actually seen how they're going to pay for it.

Bernie's economic promises were based on the ludicrous idea that we'd see 5% growth each and every year. A realistic plan is going to have to adjust for minimal growth.

Reality is you're going to have to raise taxes on the wealthy and middle class to pay for something like that, even assuming that we drastically reduced waste and inefficiencies in other parts of government.

Good for her but it's not going to happen. How you tell 150 million+ people they're going to lose their healthcare BUT it's gonna be replaced by something better...nah. We just saw a much smaller group of people freak out about losing coverage, during the Trumpcare thing. And if your argument is "well this is different, the replacement will actually be better"...do you remember the freakout a couple years ago when Obamacare went into effect and some people lost their shitty catastrophic plans? Good luck.

numble

Good for her but it's not going to happen. How you tell 150 million+ people they're going to lose their healthcare BUT it's gonna be replaced by something better...nah. We just saw a much smaller group of people freak out about losing coverage, during the Trumpcare thing. And if your argument is "well this is different, the replacement will actually be better"...do you remember the freakout a couple years ago when Obamacare went into effect and some people lost their shitty catastrophic plans? Good luck.
Where in the bill does it say they would lose their healthcare? I have lived in two governments that provided single-payer healthcare but I also still had employer-provided healthcare.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully it's genuine support...and not just an "elect me" in 2020 move (knowing the bill will fail now due to the Republican majority).

...although I still don't think you'll beat Trump with anything close to an establishment Democrat...even if they do use Sanders like policies.

I think Michael Moore is right. I really think you'll need either Tom Hanks or The Rock (or at least someone who is seen as anti-establishment to some degree ala Sanders) if you want to beat Trump. You'll need to fight fire with fire to take him down. Celeb vs Celeb, outsider vs outsider.

If we're gonna have an outsider take on Trump, can they at least be a smart, accomplished outsider?

Blader

Why would a Medicare for All bill stipulate losing private coverage?

Kill3r7

Where in the bill does it say they would lose their healthcare? I have lived in two governments that provided single-payer healthcare but I also still had employer-provided healthcare.

Employers will shed health insurance off their books as soon as they can. The one way to prevent this is by making it prohibitively expensive (healthcare tax) for them to do so.

numble

Employers will shed health insurance off their books as soon as they can. The one way to prevent this is by making it prohibitively expensive (healthcare tax) for them to do so.

The draft bill as written does not repeal the employer mandate that exists in the Affordable Care Act.

I look forward to those opposed to Bernie's healtchcare plan to 180 and support Harris in full.

Bernie?

I mean, you will probably get some of that, but the important part is that she's supporting the bill. It's a really positive sign that someone who's already getting 2020 buzz sees this as the right political move.

I hope this is a sign to come of more mainstream Dems responding to leftward pressure.

Saw it on FB! Glad to see this, and senators should be rallying behind these popular messages. Thanks Bernie for putting these propositions up, and Kamala for following through. Hopefully it wasn't just a calculated position, and something she actually believes.

Couldn't be bothered less what her motivations are as long as she's supporting the policy.

Health insurance is not health care. Hospitals are. Health insurance is a middle man that makes healthcare more expensive than it needs to be.

Health insurance is a system that binds you to your employer. Single payer is freedom.

Because companies that currently subsidize healthcare coverage for their employees would have to pay for a large portion of Medicare for all. So in other words people would no longer be covered by the employer provided plan they had before.

Ac30

Hopefully it's genuine support...and not just an "elect me" in 2020 move (knowing the bill will fail now due to the Republican majority).

...although I still don't think you'll beat Trump with anything close to an establishment Democrat...even if they do use Sanders like policies.

I think Michael Moore is right. I really think you'll need either Tom Hanks or The Rock (or at least someone who is seen as anti-establishment to some degree ala Sanders) if you want to beat Trump. You'll need to fight fire with fire to take him down. Celeb vs Celeb, outsider vs outsider.

If you need a celebrity to beat Trump, then it's already way to late to save American democracy.

Single-payer is basically nationalizing the Health insurance market, or at least large portions of it. Private coverage would be reigned in immensely either explicitly or implicitly (because they can't compete with "free").

Maxim726X

Bernie?

Haha.

But for real- it is basically a pipe dream. People are aware of how a bill becomes law, yes?

How is this getting 60 votes? Draw out that map for me please.

The bill has no chance of passing, but I'd vote for her. I'd probably vote for Warren first, but I'd enthusiastically vote for Harris, too.

even if its a financial mess. I would vote for it. Just to get names on the board for the effort and be able to point towards something they are doing for the people.

Laekon

I've yet to hear her discuss cost controls for the actual care provided so this is just more political showmanship.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Bernie?

I mean I find reactions all around to this odd. Harris has been on record for "healthcare is a right" for like...ages. This is baaaaasically one step less symbolic then that, but its still pretty damn symbolic.

This is nonsense. You don't beat Trump with an establishment Democrat who has been on the receiving end of 20 years of mudslinging and ran an entirely too safe campaign. That's proven.

But even then, she still won the overall voter share by a considerable margin. An establishment Democrat with a better campaign and an effort to get new voters to the booths thrashes Trump in an election.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Awesome! Hopefully we get more and more people on board to continue the fight toward universal coverage. Thank you, Senator Harris!

numble

Because companies that currently subsidize healthcare coverage for their employees would have to pay for a large portion of Medicare for all. So in other words people would no longer be covered by the employer provided plan they had before.

Single-payer is basically nationalizing the Health insurance market, or at least large portions of it. Private coverage would be reigned in immensely either explicitly or implicitly (because they can't compete with "free").

If the bill does not repeal the employer mandate in the ACA, and the current draft bill does not, then large employers would still need to provide employer-sponsored health insurance.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
This is a win win for democrats. Push for Medicare for all and let the Public option be the compromise if they don't have the votes.

I love this.

Medicare for all is the right approach to take. Even if it's a pipe dream at the moment, it will never move out of that stage unless more senators start taking the possibility seriously and having the important logistical conversations that'll convince the American people.

It's also incredibly smart for Harris to attach herself to Bernie as she eyes 2020.

daveo42

Banned
Nice to see someone else pushing single payer, but this still isn't going anywhere for at least another four years, regardless of inclusion of a public option or not. The ACA was fought tooth and nail and that is no where near close to an actual UHC plan and still got hamstrung before it was finalized. I'd like to have the same level of hope as some of you here, but you also have to be realistic in how quickly something like this will actually happen. As in, don't expect anything close to this in the next decade unless political and public opinion shift drastically in that direction.

Nafai1123

Banned
You should up your reading comprehension. The point of the post was razzing all the soon to be flip floppers on Single Payer cuz their new queen is on board.

I'm happy for Harris and Bernster. Her fans, especially if she didnt campaign on this???, are the ones I'm zinging as well as all the anti-Single Payer people that gave Bernie so much shit...but now they think it's cool.

Hit the books son. Your delusions are a waste of your time.

Convenient how you ignore the rest of my post and provide no evidence of these people that flip flopped on single payer. I'm not the one deluded.

legacyzero

Banned
You want my vote, dont you, Kamala. Keep doing this stuff and you might very well be on your way to it.

Let's here you come out for-
-Legal weed
-Free grades 13-16
-Ending the wars
-Infrastructure
-Climate change and clean energy
-Socking it to corporations

You'd be a near perfect candidate if you hit those spots for me.

gcubed

Convenient how you ignore the rest of my post and provide no evidence of these people that flip flopped on single payer. I'm not the one deluded.

at some point its easier to let the victim complex run wild and just give it a pat on the head and say "there there" then it is to argue.

Blader

I guess when I'm thinking of Medicare for All, I'm thinking more of a public option rather than a completely nationalized health system. Single-payer/medicare for all/public option get conflated so much that it's never quite clear to me what one is actually arguing for, ha.

Are those two as running mates a possibility? Could be a dream team.

Kind of a weird combo. Neither would really shore up each other's left or right flanks (they're both pretty liberal as is), and neither really has the kind of Biden-esque Senate credentials to work across the aisle (Kamala hasn't been there long and Bernie has spent most of his Senate career on the fringe). But who knows?

legacyzero

Banned
Universal basic income would also be nice. It's inevitable, IMHO, so might as well start laying the groundwork for it now.

Dont go there. You wont see UBI in this country for a very long time. Hell, only just recently do we see such a spike of Single Payer support in this country, because people all over the political specturm are beginning to realize what it is, and buying all the centrist and right wing BS talking points about "BU-BUT VENEZUELA!"

Was at the Town Hall where she announced this today. She brought the house down when she dropped this bombshell. And I will be so hilariously biased if she runs in 2020 since I got to meet and take a picture with her.

I'm interested to see what the 'new media' Progressive Pundits on Youtube have to say about this. One thing I dont like about them is when a candidate they dont like actually does something good, like when Cory Booker put up some decent Marijuana legislation. It's usually with skepticism.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Are those two as running mates a possibility? Could be a dream team.

Bernie should just stay in the Senate and point his supporters toward an ally in 2019/2020. Maybe he and Harris will cultivate an alliance over the next couple years. Who knows, it's still early.

I wonder how the world would feel about Harris/Kander?

Bernie?

Like is this real life?

Nobody who is a Democrat is opposed to the plan. They know it cant happen unless we have control of the House and Senate and the Presidency. So instead of shooting for the moon, we have to try and get something that works in the meantime.

Madness

Like that's ever stopped anyone from running for president before.

These people looking for a pure messiah free of anything. She doesn't need to answer for anything anymore than pussy grabber did. Vote for the candidate that best represents your ideals, policies and positions and ideology you align with. No candidate is perfect, no candidate will believe everything you believe. When Obama was first elected he was openly against same sex marriage. If Kamala is the candidate she will be against Donald Trump. Whatever your thoughts about her record as AG, or any stances she has taken, ask yourself would she make a better President than Donald Trump? What would she mean to South Asian/Indian Americans being Tamil Indian, what would she mean to women voters? What would she mean to African American/black voters, etc.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Pre-requisites for UHC:
- State Funded Medical Schools
- Insurance\Tort reform

You ain't getting UHC with europe-like costs while paying doctors 250k+, and you ain't getting competent doctors for less unless the barrier to study medicine is substantially lowered.

I voted for her in the last election. Very proud of her so far.

I had no idea who she was at the time. I looked at the ballot, searched on youtube for the names, found a debate video between her and her top opponent in the election. She easily won me over. I think she has a shot at President for sure if she wants it.
I know a bit about her prior, reading some interviews and such. Voted for her as well and glad she was elected!

Top Bottom