• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Kamala Harris told a Polisci student to learn how to code

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Among the people mad in the comments, I found this gem

Millenials pretty much know how to code? lol what. Coding doesn't mean being able to use Facebook and Instagram. Even a lot of people in the tech field aren't well versed in coding.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Millenials pretty much know how to code? lol what. Coding doesn't mean being able to use Facebook and Instagram. Even a lot of people in the tech field aren't well versed in coding.
I think there’s an NPC joke in there somewhere.

SegaShack

Jul 13, 2013
www.twitch.tv

This is hillarious. Sounds like it was written by someone that is jealous that tech jobs pay well.

Anyone who keeps using the word “coding” over and over again like that user clearly is not a developer.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

Also note:

"(As to where the money will be - that's up to policymakers.)"

So... we're just giving up to communism at this point? Forget the market, 'policymakers' determine your salary, comrade.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Millenials pretty much know how to code
You just know by this he means

<style>
.myParagraph {
color:red;
}
</style>
<p class='myParagraph'>Hello world!</p>

AND EVEN THEN he'd be wrong. Most people do not know how to code even fucking basic HTML, why would they? It's not even like the Myspace days where emos would embed blood_on_the_dancefloor.mp3 into their pages any more. The overwhelming majority of people do not know how to code nor do they need to know.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
If you want to know which party is pandering to the bitter white elitist Boomers, look no further than the one constantly telling The Millennials what they need to do and why things are their fault.

Feels like a narcissistic stage-mom who knows her power grip is slipping when the 20-something daughter moves out of the house.

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
Political science is requiring more and more quantitative analysis nowadays. That will require mathematical programming, and thus coding.

Reactions: Tesseract

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014

Programming isn't creative problem solving...? That guy seems dense.

ManaByte

Jun 10, 2004
Southern California
mcucosmic.com
This is hillarious. Sounds like it was written by someone that is jealous that tech jobs pay well.

Anyone who keeps using the word “coding” over and over again like that user clearly is not a developer.
That 100% is a liberal arts student who is terrified about not being able to find a job with their useless degree when they finish their overpriced University while the people who went for tech will be making the money.

tkscz

Oct 17, 2011
I don't understand the significance here. What's the big deal?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Also the non-stem people in Twitter comments complaining.
Because they’re going to have $100,000 in student loan debt after a counselor lied to them that there were tons of high paying jobs for a puppetry degree.
It's their cognitive dissonance at the moment. Once they graduate, reality is going to heavily set in. That crushing feeling, as they turn to social media more and demand socialized/communistic reform even more so than ever, due to their poor decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: SegaShack

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Because they’re going to have $100,000 in student loan debt after a counselor lied to them that there were tons of high paying jobs for a puppetry degree.
There isn't enough representation in the puppetry industry tho.

At least some of them will make it as a "diversity officer" in whichever industries they can cuck.

I never thought I'd live in an age when a segment of working-class folks were cheering for the expansion of corporate HR tendrils.

Reactions: DeepEnigma
Jan 9, 2018

What an idiot.

I've heard that absurd line a few times ("AI will eliminate coding!") and it is just about the stupidest take one could have regarding AI. I've worked quite a bit with developing machine learning models as well as tons of other kinds of code and deployments, and someone who thinks AI will solve data efficiency / algorithmic / structural problems rather than merely generating endless new problems (and complex coding jobs to solve those problems) is simply confused.

Shifty

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2015
the planet Thra
Even a lot of people in the tech field aren't well versed in coding.
Yup, and there are even sub-industries like the abstract and wankily-named 'DevOps' popping up that focus more on wrangling services via web backends to make things work and less on writing code to do it.

Last edited: