• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiwaza: Way of the Thief [PC/Switch/PS4, by Acquire] ↣ Burn in Hell, you heretic..."

CamHostage

I'm sharing this because it's new, but also... frankly, because I'm confused what the f*** is going on here?

Acquire is a veteran studio who have produced most famously the Tenchu franchise (also the similar Shinobido game, plus Way of the Samurai) and more recently made the Akiba's Trip games as well as co-developed with Square Octopath Traveler. The studio has this "new" game called Kamiwaza: Way of the Thief coming out this Fall for PC, Switch & PS4 (published in English-speaking parts of the world by NIS) that you can check out in the trailer. Not to be confused with Katana Kami (which was a recent top-down samurai action game, sort of a lo-fi spin-off/continuation of Way of the Samurai.)

VcN0wPQ.jpg

Kamiwaza is a remake/remastering of a 2006 PS2 Japan-only game, where you are a thief and robber in open environments who can smash things to take them as well as rob people. A girl in the village is sick, and so you steal things to help her get better, trying all the while not to get caught yourself. The more you steal, the bigger your bag gets; if you are careful and picky, you can walk about town without arousing suspicions, but if you are greedy in grabbing everything not nailed down, your bag becomes huge and everybody knows you've got the loot. There are elements of stealth, something of an RPG'ish Reputation system, and then what I'd hesitate to call a "combat system" where you attack people to take things they are carrying, and all of it goes into your thief bindle.

It seems interesting in concept, although the trailer makes it look painfully clumsy to me (it also looks like something I don't like to look at...) This Youtuber is a fan and gets into what's actually likeable about the original version of this game.

Last edited:

Pejo

Interesting. Looks like peak PS2 experimental JP game back when games tried new things. The remake doesn't look like they did much other than texture upgrades at a first glance.

MiguelItUp

Never heard of this, and it certainly looks like it has a unique personality, haha.

I think it's great to see something like this remastered, it SO incredibly obscure!

CamHostage

Kamiwaza was one of several games included in NGPX announcements yesterday (I don't see a thread about that, somebody else can post about these if you're a Disgaea/Prinny fan). Other announcements there included a new Prinny Collection (Rhapsody and the enhanced, previously Japan-only Ragnarok version of La Pucelle, a PS5 version of Ys 8, and PS5+Xbox One/Series versions of the two Fallen Legion games.

CamHostage

HOLY CRAP!

They are really remastering this one!
Never heard of this, and it certainly looks like it has a unique personality, haha.

I think it's great to see something like this remastered, it SO incredibly obscure!

Interesting, there are fans it turns out, somehow Kamizawa never came up in my circles AFAIK back when I was into PS2 imports (maybe because by that point I was headlong into PSP imports...)

I don't get how NIS is selling it right now per se (the YT video and official website both neglect to mention it's a remaster or even that it is an old game never released outside of Japan, NGPX attendees were given better info but I missed that stream,) and also that trailer is doing the game very few favors... but the more I'm listening to people talk about it, the more I'm interested in checking this new version out a little bit. So, good luck to them in finding the right audience for this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom