• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

Really hope this does well. Wasn't on my radar at all until I played the demo and it was such a refreshing change pace that I'll prob pick it up on Friday. I just hope there's another few hundred thousand out there like me.

is 4 pages in Game Informer acceptable as marketing, Kamiya?

Yeah, I saw that as well. Pretty nice ad, although at a glance it comes off looking like a preview.

Anyway, I actually thought this was bumped to post the shipment numbers for W101 in Japan. It shipped 30k units.

NotLiquid

Yeah, I saw that as well. Pretty nice ad, although at a glance it comes off looking like a preview.

Anyway, I actually thought this was bumped to post the shipment numbers for W101 in Japan. It shipped 30k units.

That sounds like a rather safe number of shipments. Guess we ain't looking at something that could possibly debut high in charts unfortunately.

AzaK

30k? Is that as terrible as it looks!?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
30k? Is that as terrible as it looks!?

Well here are the openings for their other games in Japan:

Metal Gear Rising: 335,791 (PS3)
Bayonetta: 138,430 (PS3) + 66,211 (360) = 204,641
Vanquish: 51,705 (PS3) + 11,798 (360) = 63,503
Anarchy Reigns: 21,199 (PS3) + 4,170 (360) = 25,369
Infinite Space: 40,266 (DS)
Mad World: 4,651 (Wii)

If they sold 80% or so of their shipment, it would be on par with Anarchy Reigns, below Infinite Space, less than half of Vanquish, and leagues below Bayonetta and MGR.

It would be above Mad World though.

BadWolf

Wow, sounds like there is very little confidence in it doing well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

If they sold 80% or so of their shipment, it would be on par with Anarchy Reigns, below Infinite Space, less than half of Vanquish, and leagues below Bayonetta and MGR.

Well the results came in from Japan:

Famitsu: The Wonderful 101: 6,663
Media Create: The Wonderful 101: 5,258

Was there a reason given for why they didn't go with the original pitch which was for the game to be based around Nintendo characters? That would've given it a lot more attention than just random original characters.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Just wow. And I'm not surprised. It looks from a consumers point of view like a complicated frenetic niche game with characters that aren't Nintendo characters and it released a month after Pikmin 3. No wonder it tanked.

I do feel sorry for the developer.

IcyEyes

Unbelievable :(

I feel pretty sorry for all those people who work pretty hard on this game.
I'm not their N°1 fan, but they are a pretty talented Developer and W101 looks pretty cool.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Was there a reason given for why they didn't go with the original pitch which was for the game to be based around Nintendo characters? That would've given it a lot more attention than just random original characters.

Probably for the same weird reasons Nintendo would really prefer SSB to not exist at all.

Shame, Not expecting much from Europe either. Still has to compete with GTAIV for some stupid reason as well in the US. Ninty has some serious issues when it comes to promotion. Directs are good for building hype but they are an echo chamber.

ash_ag

The devastating part is that it did worse than Pikmin 3's, what, 6th week? Nothing against Pikmin, but it really shows that the game's performance has less to do with Wii U's install base and more with gamers' refusal to try something new. Nintendo could have tried to promote it more, but let's face it, Wii U gets a proper game every two or three months. People ignoring TW101's existence probably wouldn't get the game either way.

Sky Chief

Moral of the story - Platinum shouldn't release games on Nintendo hardware

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
UNITE UP. We need to make this a huge success when it releases over here in America.

;__;

ymmv

Banned

Where's that blackboard listing everything that could save the Wii U. Someone should cross out Wonderful 101.

BTW I'm completely astounded at those sales. I didn't think it would be a giant success, but after all that publicity and the lack of worthwhile games for the Wii U I'd certainly expect it do at least reasonably well. Japanese Wii U owners must be starved for a quality title. This is absolutely atrocious.

Neff

I would just like to remind people amid this doom and gloom that Nintendo games don't live or die by their initial sales/shipments like other games do, and all this is further hampered by a current microscopic install base.

If the game keeps enjoying the good consumer word of mouth as it's getting now, this game will find its audience once Wii adopters increase. Miiverse will do its job, too.

ash_ag

Moral of the story - Platinum shouldn't release games on Nintendo hardware
Platinum Games don't release games, they make games. This is a failure from Nintendo's and gamers' part. Nintendo for gambling with new IPs and gamers for not honoring that effort. P+ can probably survive by making more MGS and who knows what else publishers give them. Our loss.

When is someone going to snatch up Kamiya? So many developers with amazing artists, programmers, and tech with no engine at the top to put out something truly great.

monome

Who paid for W101 development?

From what I gathered Nintendo and PG* got in contact together and first discussed an all-star Nintendo characters game before W101 emerged from the discussions.

In that regard, and if Nintedo paid for the game's development, Kamiya is better off shrugging off the poor sales.

W101 is magnificent.

If PG* closes shop console development because the deal with Nintendo was badly set...

well, kickstarter, steam greenlight etc...

Fight the good fight Kamiya-san and keep making games under any circumstances, I can buy your panties to keep the company afloat.

PS : Nintendo's W101 website is awesome. that counts for something in this day and age. You can't realistically expect Nintendo to push a game from another company like they'd push a Mario or a Zelda.

Lexxism

Who paid for W101 development?

From what I gathered Nintendo and PG* got in contact together and first discussed an all-star Nintendo characters game before W101 emerged from the discussions.

In that regard, and if Nintedo paid for the game's development, Kamiya is better off shrugging the poor sales.

W101 is magnificent.

If PG* closes shop because the deal with Nintendo was badly set...

well, kickstarter, steam greenlight etc...

fight the good fight Kamiya-san and keep making games under any circumstences, I can buy your panties to keep the company afloat.

It was Nintendo who paid everything. This doesn't really affect the platinum financially.

Top Bottom