• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, Alicia Keys, and others come to the support of Megaupload

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Hollywood Reporter
iqx9LyORLD8L5.jpg

In the old days, superstar recording artists used to get together and warble for causes like humanitarian aid to Africa, world hunger and AIDS. Now a bunch of musicians and other celebrities are singing an ode to a popular file storage site that has often gotten under the skin of the movie and record industries.

It's time for the "Megaupload Mega Song," from Will.i.am, P Diddy, Kim Kardashian, Alicia Keys, Snoop Dogg, Chris Brown, Kanye West, Lil John, Jamie Foxx, Mary J Blige, Floyd Mayweather, The Game and more.

Over a simple electro-beat, the various stars sing how much they love the service. Torrent Freak says the music video is a "stunning PR coup" for Megaupload, which has been attacked by the MPAA and RIAA. And on Friday the video was taken down from YouTube, a move that TechDirt says might be due to a copyright infringement claim from Universal Music Group.

The service has reportedly garnered Kanye West's support because it's "the fastest and safest way to send files," gotten Keys on board because it proves she's serious about music, and earned Snoop's endorsement because "it keeps the kids off the street."

The Game adds that even his lawyers know he uses it, noting "...and I got plenty of them."
Megaupload is based in Hong Kong and is run by a guy named Kim Dotcom (born Kim Schmitz). The company has only been sued one time in the United States for copyright infringement. In January, adult entertainment company Perfect 10 accused the company of encouraging users to upload its copyrighted material on the service.

Many industry folks probably figured it would be tough to litigate against a company that operates outside U.S. jurisdiction and is cloaked in mystery, but Megaupload surprised Hollywood by responding to the lawsuit.

In July, a federal judge turned down Megaupload's motion to dismiss the suit, finding:
"Megaupload serves as more than a passive conduit and more than a mere 'file storage' company: It has created distinct Web sites presumably in an effort to streamline users' access to different types of media. It encourages and in some cases pays its users to upload vast amounts of popular media through its rewards programs. It disseminates URLS for various files throughout the Internet. It provides payouts to affiliate websites who maintain a catalogue of all available files and last at a minimum, it is plausibly aware of the ongoing rampant infringement taking place on its Web sites."

In September, however, Megaupload settled the lawsuit with Perfect 10. Terms of the agreement haven't been revealed, but the parties submitted a motion so that the judge's July decision would be vacated.

The content industry has continued to attack Kim and the storage locker. Two weeks ago, Creative America, a coalition of major studios, networks, labor unions, and others, released an anti-piracy advertisement that includes among its targets "the infamous founder of Megaupload," alleging he makes up to $300 million in profits off of piracy.
The creators of "Megaupload Mega Song" are now rallying support of Megaupload. Besides the video below, there's also a club remix of the song in circulation.

The video got a pretty good chuckle out of me.

Watch it here

MOMENTS LATER!

Universal Censors Megaupload Song, Gets Branded a “Rogue Label”

Earlier today, Megaupload released a pop video featuring mainstream artists who endorse the cyberlocker service. News of the controversial Mega Song even trended on Twitter, but has now been removed from YouTube on copyright grounds by Universal Music. Kim Dotcom says that Megaupload owns everything in the video, and that the label has engaged in dirty tricks in an attempt to sabotage their successful viral campaign.

This morning we published an article on a new campaign by cyberlocker service Megaupload.

Site founder Kim Dotcom told TorrentFreak he had commissioned a song from producer Printz Board featuring huge recording artists including P Diddy, Will.i.am, Alicia Keys, Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, Chris Brown, The Game and Mary J Blige. These and others were shouting the praises of Megaupload.

By this afternoon #megaupload was trending on Twitter as news of the song spread. Little surprise interest was so high; Megaupload is described as a rogue site by the RIAA and here are some of their key labels’ artists promoting the service in the most powerful way possible – through a song.

And then, just a little while ago, the music stopped. Visitors to YouTube hoping to listen to the Mega Song were met with the following message.

ibbfvthLIbg69w.jpg

“Those UMG criminals. They are sending illegitimate takedown notices for content they don’t own,” he told us. “Dirty tricks in an effort to stop our massively successful viral campaign.”

So did Universal have any right at all to issue YouTube with a takedown notice? Uncleared samples, anything?

“Mega owns everything in this video. And we have signed agreements with every featured artist for this campaign,” Kim told TorrentFreak.

“UMG did something illegal and unfair by reporting Mega’s content to be infringing. They had no right to do that. We reserve our rights to take legal action. But we’d like to give them the opportunity to apologize.”

“UMG is such a rogue label,” Kim added, wholly appreciating the irony.

A few minutes after this exchange Kim contacted us with good news. After filing a YouTube copyright takedown dispute, the video was reinstated. But alas, just seconds later, it was taken down again.

“We filed a dispute, the video came back online and now it’s blocked again by UMG and the automated YouTube system has threatened to block our account for repeat infringement,” Kim explained.

TorrentFreak spoke with Corynne McSherry, Intellectual Property Director at EFF, who says this type of copyright abuse is nothing new.

“This appears to be yet another example of the kind of takedown abuse we’ve seen under existing law — and another reason why Congress should soundly reject the broad new powers contemplated in the Internet Blacklist Bills, aka SOPA/PIPA.

“If IP rightholders can’t be trusted to use the tools already at their disposal — and they can’t — we shouldn’t be giving them new ways to stifle online speech and creativity,” McSherry concludes.

Sherwin Siy, Deputy Legal Director at Public Knowledge, worries that this type of sweeping power would only be augmented with the arrival of the SOPA anti-piracy bill in the US.

“If UMG took down a video it has no rights to, then what we have here is exactly the sort of abuse that careless, overzealous, or malicious copyright holders can create by abusing a takedown law,” he told us.

“What makes this even worse is that UMG, among others, is pushing to expand its power to shut people down by fiat–SOPA lets rightsholders de-fund entire websites with the same sort of non-reviewed demand that removed this video,” he concludes.

Megaupload’s Kim Dotcom informs us that he has now submitted an international counter notification to YouTube, informing them that UMG has no rights to anything in the video and that the label abused the YouTube takedown system to sabotage the company’s business.

“It’s ridiculous how UMG is abusing their intervention powers in YouTube’s system to stop our legitimate campaign. They are willfully sabotaging this viral campaign. They own no rights to this content,” Kim insists.

“What UMG is doing is illegal. And those are the people who are calling Mega rogue? Insanity!”

Streisand Effect, here we come again.

Update: “The fact that this expression could be silenced by a major label — without any apparent infringement — should be seriously troubling to anyone who cares about artists’ speech rights,” says Casey Rae-Hunter, Deputy Director, Future of Music Coalition. “If this can happen to Snoop Dogg and others, it can happen to anyone.”

[/B]TorrentFreak

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit what, this is so ridiculous, I don't even. :lol

It just.. doesn't end. It keeps going :lol

I love Megaupload.

but seriously that site is awesome and >>>>>rapidshare

edit: forgot about mediafire, that's on a whole other level right now.

Takao

Banned
I read this:

Snoop's endorsement because "it keeps the kids off the street."

And really thought this was an Onion article.

You guys saying it isn't?

Kwixotik

Wait... isn't Snoop about to perform at some huge RIAA fundraiser or something? Lol, I love him but he is the biggest people-pleaser. Keeps the kids off the street, rofl.

Wazzim

Banned
Are they stuck in 2007? We got mediafire now bro, outer dimensional quick and simple file sharing. It makes it very easy to distribute my summaries for school when we have finals.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Amazing. They own all the content and have signed agreements with the artists involved. They disputed the takedown successfully and YouTube reinstated the video but was then taken down again? Makes no sense.

This should be the news, not the actual video.

Without the video you wouldn't have this.

I'll post it in the OP as well.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Raise your hand if after listening to that you know its going to be stuck in your head for a week.

GavinGT

Banned
I saw this earlier and thought it must have been the most elaborate hoax ever perpetrated.

I guess.....it's not, then?

Megavideo is fine, except for the 90-minute limit. That's why Putlocker is superior. Although Megavideo does have ungodly fast connection speeds.

Can someone sue these media companies for their "content infringement" shit?

Theyve done that to many of my videos, even though they dont own a damn thing. But the burden of proof, somehow, manages to be on me...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom