• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karen Bass, on Biden VP shortlist, scrambles to explain remarks on Castro, Scientology

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
Southern California
mcucosmic.com

"As Cuba begins nine days of mourning, I wish to express my condolences to the Cuban people and the family of Fidel Castro. The passing of the Comandante en Jefe is a great loss to the people of Cuba. I hope together, our two nations will continue on the new path of support and collaboration with one another, and continue in the new direction of diplomacy."
In SoCal they call her Karen "Large Mouth" Bass.

• Triggered
Reactions: Punkster88

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014
Those Castro remarks will cost Biden Florida if she gets the nod. The Cuban community in Florida does not play around with stuff. They HATE Castro.
Oh, it's much worse than that.

Over the years, Bass has spoken frequently about her decades-long involvement with the Venceramos Brigade (VB), starting from the time she was 19-years-old in 1973. She would make at least eight trips to Cuba in the 1970s and more in the decades that followed.

Articles about her work with the Venceremos Brigade make it sound like the Cuban equivalent of Habitat for Humanity or any other praiseworthy volunteer organization providing humanitarian assistance in poor countries.

In fact, the Venceremos Brigade was a Cuban communist front group founded in 1969 by Fidel Castro and the radical members of the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS). The Brigade was run by the Cuban intelligence service, the General Directorate for Intelligence (DGI).

Horowitz and his fellow Ramparts editor, Peter Collier, explained the origins of the Venceremos Brigade in their 1989 book Destructive Generation:

In 1969, a group of radicals including SDS leader Bernadine Dohrn and Castro apologist Saul Landau traveled to Cuba to meet with the Vietnamese and launch the Venceremos Brigade. The ostensible reason for this effort was to provide help for the Cuban sugar harvest. The real reason was to meet Cuban and Vietnamese officials in Havana to map out strategies for the war in America, the “other war,” which would ultimately defeat the United States in a way that the battlefield situation in Vietnam never could have.
The public rationale for the Venceremos Brigade was to organize six-week work trips for American volunteers to assist Cubans in harvesting Castro’s sugar cane crop. “The first thing Castro did when he came to power was ruin Cuba’s economy,” Horowitz said. “The big propaganda was that the imperialists had made Cuba a one crop country, which was sugar cane. And under Castro the production of sugar cane went down dramatically. And so they called on American volunteers to help them harvest sugar cane. But they also trained them politically.”
A 400-page FBI report from 1976, based on information obtained from former Cuban intelligence officers, explained that the Venceremos Brigade was used as a recruitment tool to co-opt American radicals as assets for the communist regime by fostering revolutionary fervor, which sometimes included guerrilla training.

“A very limited number of [Venceremos Brigade] members have been trained in guerrilla warfare techniques, including use of arms and explosives,” the report stated. “This type of training is given only to individuals who specifically request it and only then to persons whom the Cubans feel sure are not penetration agents of American intelligence.”

The Venceremos Brigade was not just a harmless volunteer organization helping the Cuban victims of American “imperialism.” It was a communist front group controlled and organized by the Cuban intelligence service, which was itself an extension of the Soviet intelligence service at a time when Americans were engaged in a hot war with the communists in Vietnam.

“Sympathy for America’s alleged victims developed into an identification with America’s real enemies,” Collier and Horowitz explained in Destructive Generation.
There's a lot more there. It's a very long piece.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
Wait, so it's ok to criticize religion and to be vilified for praising religions?

Huh... wouldn't have known with the blowback people get when criticizing Islam.

The Black Brad Pitt

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Apr 14, 2006
Please. The whole trump administration and his boot kickers have been scrambling to walk back their statements on countless things for 4 years. They don’t care either.

And they will do it again to distance themselves when he loses. That’s American tribal politics.

• LOL
Reactions: HeresJohnny

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Please. The whole trump administration and his boot kickers have been scrambling to walk back their statements on countless things for 4 years. They don’t care either.

And they will do it again to distance themselves when he loses. That’s American tribal politics.
The difference in this case, of course, is that while the Left have been accusing Trump baselessly of being a commie for years, it's suddenly not an issue when it's real and provable and someone on the Left.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
I like how the press decided the VP was definitely going to be a black woman

Reactions: Damage Inc

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Hmm a real life communist or a bunch of b.s. Media creations.

remember your marching order, “ Drumpf is literally Hitler.”

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I like how the press decided the VP was definitely going to be a black woman
Biden committed to picking a female VP awhile back. The odds of her being a PoC skyrocketed because of the protests.

Considering the field I think the better choices are all PoC, regardless of current events, at least if he is going to stand by his commitment to pick a woman.

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
Well, if the US elects an actual communist as likely-to-become-president VP then there is no hope for this country.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Perfect. Play by identity politics, get burned by identity politics.
The biggest issue for Democrats is that all these protected classes all want Most Favored Status, so when one gets it and the others don't, they start to eat each other. Biden might want to do some Taco Bowl engagement on this one.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
I feel for her. I know I just can’t live down that speech I gave to the West Borough Baptists. People just can’t accept that I was only trying to point out the good parts of their little group....

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: #Phonepunk#
Sep 2, 2007
All this Karen Bass stuff feels like a smokescreen because I can’t imagine him picking anyone but Harris.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
All this Karen Bass stuff feels like a smokescreen because I can’t imagine him picking anyone but Harris.
Harris was a district attorney. That doesn't play well with the BLM agenda. I mean Biden helped fill the prisons with black men but we'll ignore that if we have to to beat Trump.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: HeresJohnny

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I just went to Germany to help them with health care. Meet some great Doctors, this one name Josef Mengele. That was a long time ago though, I am not a Hitler sympathizer. I mean how could I realize that the Jews would still be offended by that. Nazi Germany was great in health care and building cars, did you know they helped build our space program!

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
This is meaningless - Republicans will do targeted advertising in Miami to Cubans, and that will be the end of her reputation. Her statement has the force of some lifelong neo-Nazi putting out a sentence saying, "Hilter was a bad guy," and nothing else.

Reactions: cryptoadam