• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karen Gillan is probably playing Neil Gaiman's Angela in Guardians of the Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was torn about making a thread for this because if it's not true then I'll look silly but Choppasmith in the MCU thread claimed that someone in Glasgow posted a newspaper clipping that confirms that Karen Gillan is playing Angela. He sent me the clipping and it looks real enough.

KD5pori.jpg

I'm inclined to believe this report simply because it makes a lot of sense in a very weird way. It's weird because Angela was originally a Spawn character created by Neil Gaiman who later entered a vicious and convoluted legal battle for the rights, eventually winning joint custody from Todd McFarlane. He then gave Marvel permission to use the character, and she was introduced into the Marvel universe in this year of 2013.

It makes sense since we know that Karen is playing a villain, Angela is a redheaded bounty hunter, and the Guardians are intergalactic criminals. It would appear that Angela is filling the Boba Fett niche. Note: If this is true then it means she will be hitting the gym and getting into a gold bikini so there is that.

The other reason I believe it is because nothing else makes much sense. Thanos isn't center stage in this film so Death shouldn't be a major character either, and that's the other option people were floating. It's also a very weird rumor for someone to pull out their ass and Angela is being added to the Guardians of the Galaxy comic series right now. As far as I can tell there haven't been any internet reports on this so if it's true then we've got the internet scoop right here.

This is a good article for background.

Marvel Comics announced some big news today via the New York Times, and it could potentially have ramifications when the Marvel Cinematic Universe takes to the stars in 2014's "Guardians of the Galaxy." It was revealed that author Neil Gaiman will tip-toeing back into the Marvel Universe, and he'll be bringing a character he created for Image Comics with him. Gaiman's first Marvel Comic since 2007's "Eternals" #7 will be the final chapter of "Age of Ultron," the event mini-series currently tearing through the Marvel Universe. In the "Age of Ultron" finale, Gaiman will introduce Angela, previously a supporting character in Image Comics' "Spawn," to the Marvel Universe. She'll then make an appearance in "Guardians of the Galaxy" #5, an issue co-written by Neil Gaiman and the series' regular writer, Brian Michael Bendis.

Does this mean that Angela, an angelic bounter hunter for Heaven (yep, Heaven) will join the Guardians of the Galaxy? And if so, could she have already been worked into the 2014 film?

Joe Quesada, chief creative officer of Marvel Entertainment, told the New York Times that Angela's journey to Marvel has "been in the works for quite some time." He later added that the secret had been kept in house for a while. That means that even though we're just now finding out that Angela and Spider-Man will soon be neighbors, the people in charge of crafting "Guardians" may have been privy to that info with enough time to work her into the film. Even if that isn't the case, they're still far enough out from shooting to work in a post-credits cameo if fans take to the character.

Showaddy

How do people keep coming up with these rumours? The films based of a comic that came out 5 years ago, Angela has quite literally just been shoehorned into Bendis's run in an attempt to maintain sales.

If people are going to pull stuff out of their ass at least make it relevant to the source material...

How do people keep coming up with these rumours? The films based of a comic that came out 5 years ago, Angela has quite literally just been shoehorned into Bendis's run in an attempt to maintain sales.

If people are going to pull stuff out of their ass at least make it relevant to the source material...
Which character do you think is more likely and fits the criteria we already know about? I think you're going to be surprised.

I don't understand why Marvel has been making such a big deal out of this character.

Maybe it's just because in my mind I'm pronouncing "Angela" like the regular person name and it makes the whole thing sound ridiculous.

Interesting. I don't know if I can really picture Karen Gillan pulling off a villain, but if she's not straight-up evil and just misunderstood or chasing after the Guardians for the wrong reasons, it could make sense.

I'd feel terrible if this was some kind of elaborate hoax that I fell for and helped spread, but then it's just too random and plausible to be just faked (if Doctor Who fans wanted to fake Marvel news, it'd most likely be Tennant as Rocket Raccoon). Plus, I can see Gunn meeting with Gaiman with the latter suggesting Gillan considering their work on Doctor Who.

Blader

Her being shoehorned into the new Guardians book is actually probably good evidence of her being in the movie.

Showaddy

Which character do you think is more likely and fits the criteria we already know about? I think you're going to be surprised.

I honestly have no idea. We'd had zero information regarding the plot since James Gunn rewrote the script. The films tagline about a group on the run has even been changed.

I mean all the rumours were about Tony Stark joining the team because of Bendis's current run until Iron Man 3 debunked that. Then it was The Collector, then Adam Warlock, then Nova... A couple of weeks ago it was Ronan the Accuser hunting the team down, now it's Angela, a character who has zero relevance to the source material?

It's just people taking shots in the dark lol

Showaddy

Her being shoehorned into the new Guardians book is actually probably good evidence of her being in the movie.

Why though? Bendis jumped on the films bandwagon, completely changed the comic to make it more mainstream so it would sell then bailed out after 6 issues. Nothing in the current comic seems to resemble the ideas behind the film.

A couple of weeks ago it was Ronan the Accuser hunting the team down, now it's Angela, a character who has zero relevance to the source material?

It's just people taking shots in the dark lol

If Angela is the Boba Fett of the film that still leaves room for Darth Vaders, Moff Tarkins, Jabba the Hutts, Palpatines, you name it. The fact is that we know Karen Gillan has been cast as a villain, the question is which one. There aren't a lot of plausible options. Death was a popular guess but again she doesn't make much sense if Thanos isn't center stage.

She's playing Angela. It'd be best to get used to it.

Showaddy

If Angela is the Boba Fett of the film that still leaves room for Darth Vaders, Moff Tarkins, Jabba the Hutts, Palpatines, you name it. The fact is that we know Karen Gillan has been cast as a villain, the question is which one. There aren't a lot of plausible options. Death was a popular guess but again she doesn't make much sense if Thanos isn't center stage.

She's playing Angela. It'd be best to get used to it.

Yeah or she might not, don't get you're hopes up. I'm not entirely sure why'd you'd want this anyway, better she play Moondragon, Medusa or even Death rather than Angela.

Edit: Also the fact that the 'insider' talks about the costume being revealing kind of gives it away as Zoe Saldana has already confirmed that they're covering up Gamora. Throwing another half naked female character in wouldn't make sense if Gamora getting tidied up

Yeah or she might not, don't get you're hopes up. I'm not entirely sure why'd you'd want this anyway, better she play Moondragon, Medusa or even Death rather than Angela.
It's not a matter of want, it's process of elimination. There's no way it's Death if Thanos isn't center stage and she'd be a little above the Guardians' pay grade at any rate. Moondragon isn't usually a villain, certainly not a Guardians villain. Medusa wouldn't be a major villain here when they're talking about making an Inhumans movie. None of them fit as well as Angela does.

Edit: Also the fact that the 'insider' talks about the costume being revealing kind of gives it away as Zoe Saldana has already confirmed that they're covering up Gamora. Throwing another half naked female character in wouldn't make sense if Gamora getting tidied up
Gamora has been covered up at times in the comics, and her most recent version is clothed.

d438bf6e6228b9d6e0e51d007343ff76.jpg

No earthly way anyone is walking around in that outfit in a movie released in the 21st century.

Oh wait, I forgot Avatar. lol movies, jesus

Showaddy

It's not a matter of want, it's process of elimination. There's no way it's Death if Thanos isn't center stage and she'd be a little above the Guardians' pay grade at any rate. Moondragon isn't usually a villain, certainly not a Guardians villain. Medusa wouldn't be a major villain here when they're talking about making an Inhumans movie. None of them fit as well as Angela does.

Gamora has been covered up at times in the comics, and her most recent version is clothed.

I'm just confused why you think there's a Boba Fett character at all when the scripts been re-written. As the films isn't based off the current run of the comic then Angela makes zero sense as well. As does Gamora in Bendis's laughable Mass Effect gear lol. Thankfully the films designers aren't that bad.

I'm just confused why you think there's a Boba Fett character at all when the scripts been re-written. As the films isn't based off the current run of the comic then Angela makes zero sense as well.

I think there's a Boba Fett character because I think Angela is in it, not the other way around. Also saying that the film can't take any influences from the Bendis run is oversimplifying things, it's not like movie Thor is 616 or Ultimate, he's both and neither.

Showaddy

I think there's a Boba Fett character because I think Angela is in it, not the other way around. Also saying that the film can't take any influences from the Bendis run is oversimplifying things, it's not like movie Thor is 616 or Ultimate, he's both and neither.

It might as well be though. A group of the Guardians hanging round Earth, having overly long boring conversations with Stark about how much their lives suck isn't going to feature much in the film.

Feige & Gunn have already said the film will be based entirely off Earth so Bendis's entire set-up & storyline is already dead in the water. I get what you're saying though, it's just that the differences between the current run of the comic and the comic of which the film is based is night and day.

The clipping looks like it's from either The Daily Record, or perhaps the Scottish edition of The Sun. Neither have a particularly great track record on showbiz scoops.

It might as well be though. A group of the Guardians hanging round Earth, having overly long boring conversations with Stark about how much their lives suck isn't going to feature much in the film.

Feige & Gunn have already said the film will be based entirely off Earth so Bendis's entire set-up & storyline is already dead in the water. I get what you're saying though, it's just that the differences between the current run of the comic and the comic of which the film is based is night and day.

Remember this piece of concept art that we got?

PHodWdoB68YErv_1_m.jpg

Doesn't look like anything from the Abnett and Lanning run, does it? You know what it does look like?

UBQRCh5.jpg

Boom. I rest my case.

Showaddy

Remember this piece of concept art that we got?

PHodWdoB68YErv_1_m.jpg

Doesn't look like anything from the Abnett and Lanning run, does it? You know what it does look like?

UBQRCh5.jpg

Boom. I rest my case.

Eh Starlord doesn't have an origin story in the 2008 run so it could be Peter Quill and they be introducing us to the character, the original Starlord's mother is killed by aliens at a young age as well, it's not original to Bendis. Or it could be any random person in front of an alien ship. Or as it's early concept art it could be in the bin by now.

We'll have to wait until we get some actual details instead of Scottish tabloid rumours.

It's so weird Angela hasn't even premiered in the Marvel Universe comics wise yet by the time this movie starts filming she'll only be in like two issues.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I just doubt they'll be taking anything from an unfinished, ongoing storyline.

d438bf6e6228b9d6e0e51d007343ff76.jpg

I dont read comics much and I just found out about this Gamora chick a few days ago (being playing Marvel Heroes).
I love the design of the below picture, but you'd have to be crazy to expect Marvel to be brave enough to put it into a live action movie.

279785-158329-gamora.jpg

kswiston

I just doubt they'll be taking anything from an unfinished, ongoing storyline.

Bendis is usually a consultant on Marvel films. Perhaps it's the reverse, and he is borrowing it from the movie to make sure the products are similar?

gerg

I dont read comics much and I just found out about this Gamora chick a few days ago (being playing Marvel Heroes).
I love the design of the below picture, but you'd have to be crazy to expect Marvel to be brave enough to put it into a live action movie.

279785-158329-gamora.jpg

This is very OT, but I hate how in pictures of this the straps of the costume follow the contours of the body, just so you can see that extra bit of breast outline.

The prevailing theory at the moment is that she's playing the Matriarch from the Universal Church of Truth.

You're right, that one slipped my mind. But it hasn't been rumored by any source that I know of, it's just a look that would fit.

I'm also not sure you can get into that storyline without doing Adam Warlock and that's a whole thing.

You're right, that one slipped my mind. But it hasn't been rumored by any source that I know of, it's just a look that would fit.

I'm also not sure you can get into that storyline without doing Adam Warlock and that's a whole thing.
Yeah, we'll see. The only thing that will be weirder than actually seeing a Guardians of the Galaxy movie on the big screen is one that includes a Niel Gaiman Spawn character haha.

Showaddy

Lee Pace's character apparently switches sides during in the film so take that as you will. Adam also makes a lot of sense as the teams current known line-up is pretty bog standard at the moment, having mystic space Jesus on the team opens up a lot of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom