• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karen Gillan is probably playing Neil Gaiman's Angela in Guardians of the Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

Awww yis...
ib2jmi6ypns0Af.gif

Lee Pace's character apparently switches sides during in the film so take that as you will. Adam also makes a lot of sense as the teams current known line-up is pretty bog standard at the moment, having mystic space Jesus on the team opens up a lot of potential.
I doubt very much that movie audiences will look at this roster and call it bog standard.

I just don't see them adding someone on that power scale to the mix and then doing the Church as the main baddie. It'd turn most enemies into pushovers for the Guardians right off the bat, and it'd also mean that the narrative would have some heavy religious overtones that middle America probably won't like. If they ever go that route, it's got to be sequel material.

Showaddy

I doubt very much that movie audiences will look at this roster and call it bog standard.

I just don't see them adding someone on that power scale to the mix and then doing the Church as the main baddie. It'd turn most enemies into pushovers for the Guardians right off the bat, and it also means that the narrative is going to have some heavy religious overtones that middle America probably won't like. If they ever go that route, it's got to be sequel material.

True enough. Lee Pace is pretty much confirmed to be Adam Warlock or Richard Rider and I'd be pretty happy with either one of them. Rich Rider's Nova would be a lot easier to swallow for audiences as you say though.

TDLink

I already said this in the main MCU thread but this is most likely not true.

The source is a tabloid, I mean really? Why are we believing that crap?

She is probably playing The Matriarch. My post from the other thread:

The Matriarch is a pretty good guess so there is one that is instantly plausible. She is the leader of the Universal Church of Truth, the most recurring villains the GotG faces in the comics. She also has red hair as well, which I feel is the primary reason Angela is even being touted as a possibility.

Angela also wouldn't really be an evil character if she was in, just an antagonist, while it has been clearly stated Gillian is playing a villain, not merely an antagonist. Angela as a bounty hunter also doesn't make sense when we potentially have Ronan and/or Nova already doing the same thing.

We also have heard rumours of The Collector being in the film. She could be playing the role of Carina, The Collector's daughter, who is also a villain.

Like I said though, I am pretty sure The Matriarch is what she will be. She is a straight up villain, the leader of what is arguably the GotG's primary opponents, and makes sense as a badguy even in the first GotG film. It would nicely set up Adam Magus for future films as well, which there has been some indication is a thing they want to do.

Also, as said on the first page, this movie is obviously based around the Abnett/Lanning run, not the Bendis one...at all. That concept art with the ship in front of Star-Lord is not the same thing at all. Star-Lord is an adult and covering his eyes in front of the ship which is stopped in front of him in the film. That comic has him as a kid running away from the ship as it blows up along with the house. Completely different events. Based on other concept art we can also pretty much guess that ship in the film is a Nova Corps one.

You can draw connections to the Bendis stuff if you want but they just aren't there. And that's a good thing because the current run is dogshit.

I am so happy the MCU iterations are being based on the right source material.

Too be fair I am betting Disney could pick up Spawn himself for year long pass to Disney Land.

WHy would McFarlane want to give up his big cash cow? He was pissed that he had no ownership of Venom that's why he made Spawn in the first place. I think Spawn still sells decently and people buy his toys. Plus every so often a movie studio gets interested.

Platy

Just realised :

The First NEIL GAIMAN CREATED CHARACTER TO GO TO THE BIG SCREEN ....

i2xr0ZY.jpg

... is a hot girl in bikini armor =|

Lee Pace's character apparently switches sides during in the film so take that as you will. Adam also makes a lot of sense as the teams current known line-up is pretty bog standard at the moment, having mystic space Jesus on the team opens up a lot of potential.

I think you missed the part where this team includes a raccoon and a tree.

TDLink

Just realised :

The First NEIL GAIMAN CREATED CHARACTER TO GO TO THE BIG SCREEN ....

i2xr0ZY.jpg

... is a hot girl in bikini armor =|

It isn't confirmed.

lmao you can't be serious.

Looking at it again it's honestly hard to tell whether he is an adult or kid since it is from his back and essentially a silhouette. I do think he's probably an adult there though. And either way like I said in my previous post the scenario is completely different from that comic.

I don't know why you want these things to be true so bad. If they are true it is worse than if they aren't since the Bendis run is hot garbage. Besides, the only evidence for it is this one tabloid article. A single tabloid would not have this kind of information.

It isn't confirmed.

Looking at it again it's honestly hard to tell whether he is an adult or kid since it is from his back and essentially a silhouette. I do think he's probably an adult there though. And either way like I said in my previous post the scenario is completely different from that comic.

I don't know why you want these things to be true so bad. If they are true it is worse than if they aren't since the Bendis run is hot garbage. Besides, the only evidence for it is this one tabloid article. A single tabloid would not have this kind of information.

Stardust, which was one of Gaiman's novels, beat Coraline to the screen by two years. And MirrorMask, an original Gaiman film concept, beat that by two years, as well.

TDLink

It's not a matter of want. Anyone with two eyes can see that's a kid. :lol

427773.jpg

You clearly want this movie to be filled with Bendis' crap based on telling people on the first page we should just accept this tabloid rumour is true and that this concept art is confirmation that the same scenario as the Bendis book will happen.

Even if he is a kid in that shot (and I honestly do think it is ambiguous), the scenario is clearly completely different. The ship here (or the people in it) are looking at him/analyzing him while he shields his eyes. It also has a similar design to the ships in other concept art which are almost definitely Nova Corps. The ship in the comic is exploding as he runs away and is a hostile non-Nova ship.

It is not the same scenario. Hell, that person in the picture may not even be Star-Lord. It could be Richard Rider or something, who knows?

TDLink

Yeah okay. We're done here.

Apparently so when you are hung up on a silhouette being definitive "proof" of a character's age to prove your point rather than actually admitting and/or ignoring my point that the conceptual scenario is nothing like the purported comic scene.

Apparently so when you are hung up on a silhouette not being definitive proof of a character's age to prove your point rather than actually admitting and/or ignoring my point that the conceptual scenario is nothing like the purported comic scene.
I'm thinking that someone who doesn't want to see the kid in that pic probably doesn't really want to listen to anything I say.

TDLink

I'm thinking that someone who doesn't want to see the kid in that pic probably doesn't really want to listen to anything I say.

I continue to fail to see how a silhouetted back of a character confirms their age, or even their identity. I am more than willing to listen to what you have to say but you only keep saying the same thing and refusing to actually address the fact that the scenario is not like the comic you have stated it is similar to.

TDLink

Looks like a teenager/adult kneeling.

That's what I see too. His body appears too tall to be a kid.

I am not denying I can't be wrong about that, I am just saying it is impossible to say from that concept art he is 100% a kid.

I also think that regardless of whether he is a kid or not in that art it doesn't change that the comic scenario Ignis Fatuus thinks it resembles does not actually resemble it at all.

Slayven

WHy would McFarlane want to give up his big cash cow? He was pissed that he had no ownership of Venom that's why he made Spawn in the first place. I think Spawn still sells decently and people buy his toys. Plus every so often a movie studio gets interested.

Yeah but Spawn ain't making that 30 million dollar baseball money anymore.

CorvoSol

Speaking of wanting things super bad, I'd still pay out good money for her to be Phoenix. Y'all know you wouldn't object to her in that costume.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Speaking of wanting things super bad, I'd still pay out good money for her to be Phoenix. Y'all know you wouldn't object to her in that costume.
She's gorgeous, but Phoenix needs somebody with a more powerful body shape.

Of course, she can cosplay for me all she wants.

CorvoSol

She's gorgeous, but Phoenix needs somebody with a more powerful body shape.

Of course, she can cosplay for me all she wants.

She'd still be a step up from Famke, I think. Course it's hard to say, since they wasted every ounce of Famke and the character in X-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom