• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy Reroll Announced for PC and the Nintendo Switch.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A remaster of the beloved original game, first released on PlayStation 2, was revealed during today’s Nintendo Direct. It’s called Katamari Damacy Reroll, and it’s out Nov. 30 on Nintendo eShop. A physical edition will come out Dec. 7.

The game now uses gyro controls, HD rumble and single Joy-Con controls for cooperative play. Otherwise it’s the same damn good game that it’s always been, and we are excited beyond belief.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/13/1...y-reroll-nintendo-switch-release-date-trailer

SALMORE

i played the hell out of it on PS2 ! And i am definitely buying this one when the physical copy dropped 😁

Akuza89

I really want it... but I wanted a physical version... weird how it's about a week later that the physical version releases...

This game needs support every one buy it on the eshop then buy it physical aswell! Haha

Xenon

No interest in playing this again, but wanted to give a nod to a great title. Reroll... Nice

Update: Bandai Namco announced that Katamari Damacy Reroll will also launch on Windows PC.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

nowhat

I missed this announcement earlier, and while I'd like there to be a new Katamari game, I'm so totally getting this for my Switch. Just reading the title got the theme song playing in my head.

...but there needs to be a new Katamari game too. With the added processing power available this gen, just think of all the things we could roll up into a ball!

Shai-Tan

Banned
Would rather have played Katamari Forever/Tribute which had some of the older levels too but I guess the switch isn't powerful enough for it (?)

A PC version? Hell yeah. I already have the PS2 version but a remaster sounds great. I just didn't want to buy it again for Switch and in ten years not be able to play it. I'll buy the PC version day one tho.

Would rather have played Katamari Forever/Tribute which had some of the older levels too but I guess the switch isn't powerful enough for it (?)

If the PS3 was powerful enough to run it, then the Switch could. So I don’t think their choice had anything to do with power. While the Switch isn’t anywhere nearly as powerful as the X1 or PS4, it seems a lot of people sell it short - it is above the PS3/X360.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i've played the first and second games as well as a number of the remixes. im beyond thrilled that this is going to be the first game, it has the best music, the best levels, imo they really nailed it all right out of the gate.

stranno

I would be happy with something cool about the first game. But this looks exactly as the PS2 version, disappointing.

It seems The Prince and some elements of the UI have slightly better resolution/quality, but every other thing are the original pixelated assets.

Last edited:

Akuza89

I said it on the youtube video... i'll say it again.

I want the puppet and the statue in front of them.

Other than that, gimme the game.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I’m really looking forward to this one, and hope that We Love Katamari, which is even better, soon follows. I never had any interest in the later titles as the original creator wasn’t involved.

While it’s very clear that the videogame industry has completely run out of ideas, as long as they supply the classics, I won’t mind too terribly. For now.

TwiztidElf

I'm a super hyped day one "shut up and take my money" buyer!
But I live in Australia, and clearly Bamco don't want my money. :(
How can I buy this game on Switch? Preferably a physical version, but I will digital if I have to (sigh).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The keyboard binds are hilarious. Use a gamepad folks, lol. I mean, I expected that would be best anyway but:
katamari_2018_12_07_0zyfmo.png

Those aren't even all the controls (if you haven't played it to know that), after you test all that it has another set of instructions.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I remember when this game blew up in 2004 and was $20.

Glad it got a remaster, but I don't have a platform it's on. Hopefully it's just timed or something.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol, only fans so far are reviewing it on Steam, 100% positive for now (but only like 66 so far).

stranno

I played the Switch demo like a week ago and it looks so lazy. Every asset, except The Prince model and UI, has been ported as is from Playstation 2. The look "fine" in HD because the style of the game was simple back in the day.

They could have included the Touch My Katamari modern control scheme for new users tho. Or at least a separated button for "turbo", that was a pain in the ass in the original game (and not the best combo for Dual Shock joystick's lifespam, not to mention the weak joysticks of the joy-cons). I guess single-joy-con mode should be different, i havent played that way.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
bought this on Switch this afternoon. i had plans to meet up w a friend and make some music, so we spent the day doing that, writing & recording a song on the spot. they headed out and i only played the first star. i have played through the game before on emulator but it plays better than that on Switch. i love it!!! this game was meant to be on the Switch.

it plays wonderfully. the music is, as always, so nice to hear. the game is just bursting with joy. the King of All Cosmos has a wonderfully batty way to him. tbh it has that absent minded deity feel that you see in parts of the Old Testament or mystical Greek myths. he is a little mischievous. like the baby Krishna, getting into jars of butter, just this innocent being of pure sensation, causing a cosmic mess on accident, unable to fully control his whims and impulses, a God that has the same problems we all deal with. it's quite profound.

i have always loved this game. the central goal, rather than destroying things, eating them like Pac-Man or shooting them like every other videogame, you combine things. rather that set things apart, you bring things together. it is fundamentally different than every other videogame. the only goal is total union. all things must become one, a sort of materialist singularity, spinning objects into a meta ball of Katamariness. it is a work of genius.

is there any historical precedent to the KOAC's costume design? specifically the head things, the cylinders he wears on each side of his head, is that some old Japanese drama thing?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I can't wait to pick up my copy, but I did get to briefly try out a buddy's copy today. The controls feel great and I think (??) there's less pop-in, too.

For everyone who bought this game, listen to this tune and feel good that you are smart!

Looking at screens I'm not sold that this is worth the upgrade into HD.

It's literally the PS2 game translated into HD which makes things look a little off to me, I have the PS2 original and a CRT and I may just stick with that, some 6th gen games transition into HD well and some don't, some actually look better with the blur of a CRT screen than the harsh light of HD.

That's just my personal situation though, for most people this will probably be the best option, I'm glad the game is now easily out there for people, hopefully this will lead to an all new game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah i couldn't wait for physical so i bought it digitally.

it's a pretty faithful port. this is gonna be a good game to have portably for plane rides and stuff.

Top Bottom