• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy Reroll coming to PS4, Xbox One on November 19 in Japan

Bullet Club

Katamari Damacy Reroll coming to PS4, Xbox One on November 19 in Japan

Currently available for Switch and PC.

32BE5uY.png

Katamari Damacy Reroll, which first launched for Switch and PC via Steam in December 2018, is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on November 19 in Japan for 3,200 yen, publisher Bandai Namco announced. The Xbox One version will be a digital-only release.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

The stop-at-nothing pushing prince is back and ready to reroll! When the King of All Cosmos accidentally destroys all the stars in the sky, he orders you, his pint-sized princely son, to put the twinkle back in the heavens above. Join the King and Prince of Cosmos on their wacky adventure to restore the stars—now in full HD!
The beloved roll-em-up game returns with fully updated graphics, completely recreated cutscenes and in full HD!
View a new set of screenshots and box art at the gallery.

Source: Gematsu

the_master

Great news, what a beautiful surprise. I miss this games. I wish they made a new one going all out in number of objects, scale and levels <3

yurqqa

If you never played - buy this game ! Seriousely !

If you've played it on PS2, you'll buy it anyway.

I won't buy it, but only because I replayed it on Switch already.

nikolino840

Only announced JP, so far. Bandai Namco Global must just be lagging. I can't imagine they'd make an Xbox version just for the Xbox Japanese game audience. (...They still have Xbox One in Japan?)
Mmh..yeah is strange but happen sometimes..recently i have readed a news about a jrpg also jp only,that was an Xbox exclusive first,the news is that they added ps4 and switch and the Xbox version postponed...

Bridges

Mmh..yeah is strange but happen sometimes..recently i have readed a news about a jrpg also jp only,that was an Xbox exclusive first,the news is that they added ps4 and switch and the Xbox version postponed...
Yup, reminds me of Puyo Puyo Tetris that got a physical(!) Xbox One release in Japan and when the game finally got localized it skipped Xbox One entirely.

I'm happy I waited on picking this up, I'd much rather be rather play this on Xbox if possible (assuming this does come stateside).

nikolino840

Yup, reminds me of Puyo Puyo Tetris that got a physical(!) Xbox One release in Japan and when the game finally got localized it skipped Xbox One entirely.

I'm happy I waited on picking this up, I'd much rather be rather play this on Xbox if possible (assuming this does come stateside).
Found that game..OT i know but 😇😅

Yomi wo Saku Hana

An indi i think,is a dungeon crawler

Holammer

PC version was a good port, but they cheated!
The game logic and animations are still handled at 30fps when the camera updates at 60. It's an acceptable compromise.

CamHostage

Great news, what a beautiful surprise. I miss this games. I wish they made a new one going all out in number of objects, scale and levels <3

Me too, and while it might be blasphemous to say, I'd kind of like them to try a whole new graphic style. The PS2 graphics are iconic, but even a little bit of shading and texturing does make the world pop. Like, imagine if objects in the world had shiny or translucent surfaces? Or if some objects were squishy or stretchy or could break in some places? Instead of a typical cartoony Katamari world, maybe there could be variations, like areas that have a lot of glass and porcelain or areas with a lot of grubby wood grain and dirt? (Though part of the fun of Katamari is rolling up to continent-size and beyond, so maybe only one unified art style would need to work?) I'd still want it to be fun and fanciful (a "realistic Katamari" might be horrifying!), but a little gloss or shade might do something nice for the franchise's return. Like, look at the subtle difference (although they WAY cranked up the color reflections) that a general application of Reshade filters adds to Katamari Reroll:

...Oh, I was right, a real Katamari IS horrifying!

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
XBox owners need a re-release of Beautiful Katamari!

At least make the 360 version digitally available and finally backward compatible. :messenger_sad_relieved:
This. A lot of really good Xbox 360/OG Xbox gems are still missing from the backwards compatibility catalogue. We got Ninja Gaiden II because we pestered Major Nelson on twitter every week. We should resume it again for Kingdom Under Fire series, Beautiful Katamari, 360 Shmups, Otogi, Gunvalkyrie, JSRF and Chromehounds(bring back its servers while they are at it).

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Neat. Just bought it.

it is amazing how awful the ps app is now though. I had to search for this game as it isn’t listed in new releases or coming soon. Maybe I missed it, since you have to recognize the art with nothing having titles anymore. There’s no wishlist so I can’t just save things I’m interested in anymore.

Last edited:

Tmack

It`s a shame they haven`t added any quality of life improvements to take advantage of modern consoles.

There`s no retry and if you want to try a bigger katamari there`s a leght menu-button-pressing to finally be able to have another go.... levels takes forever to start since the game was designed with ps2 load in mind and there`s a lot of fill material to distract you while it`s "loading"...

Such simple changes could go a long way.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It`s a shame they haven`t added any quality of life improvements to take advantage of modern consoles.

There`s no retry and if you want to try a bigger katamari there`s a leght menu-button-pressing to finally be able to have another go.... levels takes forever to start since the game was designed with ps2 load in mind and there`s a lot of fill material to distract you while it`s "loading"...

Such simple changes could go a long way.
It feels like a sloppy port more than anything. Really disappointing the game isn't in 4k@60fps
The ads for the game are great though.

Tmack

It feels like a sloppy port more than anything. Really disappointing the game isn't in 4k@60fps
The ads for the game are great though.

Considering it`s a super simple game, those changes/improvements were super simple/easy to do. Its really a shame they didnt took the care Katamari deserved. :(

Top Bottom