• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kathleen Kennedy: Making A STAR WARS Film Is Difficult because no source material

GreyHorace

Making A STAR WARS Film Is Difficult Due To A Lack Of Comics And Novels Says Lucasfilm President

"There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels," says Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy when asked about the difficulties that come with making a Star Wars movie.

1*3DGDrEqyg2oQoReQhoGeBg.jpeg

Right. My mistake. Obviously she can't make a good Star Wars film because there's no source material to fall back on.

Oh wait a minute...

latest

51vEMg8xd6L._SY240_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

302618.jpg

capsule_616x353.jpg

TVzusgS.jpg

699d3cd07d956a5733df6740e29babb4e640b7a7.jpg

-553787.1.jpg

41C1Q9ZQFNL.jpg

But what do I know right? Obviously I don't know shit compared to big shot movie producer. Just to be clear, I do acknowledge the criticisms of the Expanded Universe and will trust the judgement of the fans that a lot of it is crap. I've only read the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn and played the Jedi Knight games starring Kyle Katarn.

But to say that the fictional universe she took charge in has no wealth of source material is laughable. I know they declared the EU non-canon but that didn't stop them from putting Grand Admiral Thrawn in Star Wars Rebels. Perhaps she's making excuses until her eventual dismissal as Lucasfilm president. Here's hoping.

OK, actually read the article to make sure the quote wasn't taken out of context, so let me say this......

You're telling me that you threw away the EU to maximize freedom for creativity (an understandable, although not universally accepted, decision), and now when it comes to it, you claim it's hard because there's no source material?
If I throw away my gun to maximize the creative juices I have in order to catch a deer, and I find that my handmade traps don't do shit, am I now going to claim that there are no tools to help me hunt?

Does this idiot actually think before she speaks?

This explains why the Disney Star Wars era has been an absolute trainwreck.

I actually feel kind of bad for George Lucas these days. He did nothing wrong. Neither did all the myriad authors and writers who contributed to the old EU that they just straight up threw in the trash and replaced with the total shitpile that is the Disney continuity.

sol_bad

OK, actually read the article to make sure the quote wasn't taken out of context, so let me say this......

You're telling me that you threw away the EU to maximize freedom for creativity (an understandable, although not universally accepted, decision), and now when it comes to it, you claim it's hard because there's no source material?
If I throw away my gun to maximize the creative juices I have in order to catch a deer, and I find that my handmade traps don't do shit, am I now going to claim that there are no tools to help me hunt?

Does this idiot actually think before she speaks?

It's an extremely dumb comment from Kennedy, but c'mon, even George 100% disregarded the EU/Legends. He didn't give a shit about any of it.

And hell yeah to a Katarn movie.

Last edited:

royox

And hell yeah to a Katarn movie.

I don't see that happening. They Literally killed him in Rogue One (He got the Death Star plans in EU) and also in the new Disney Trilogy (Kylo Ren killed everybody at the new Jedi temple except Luke. That means Kyle is r.i.p if he was there as jedi master).

Still have faith in some Mara Jade rumours tho.

sol_bad

I don't see that happening. They Literally killed him in Rogue One (He got the Death Star plans in EU) and also in the new Disney Trilogy (Kylo Ren killed everybody at the new Jedi temple except Luke. That means Kyle is r.i.p if he was there as jedi master).

Still have faith in some Mara Jade rumours tho.

His story in the new movies doesn't have to follow the EU story.

I get that source material is helpful and all...but its not like movies havent, ya know, been created through sheer imagination before

They just need source material because its easier to adapt to their formulaic malarky and can take the blame when the adaptation turns out shitty.... it wasnt rian johnsons fault! It was the source material’s

Last edited:

EekTheKat

The thing is - Star Wars at its core is a very simple good vs evil story. It's the heart and love of the craft that's put into the films that makes them stand out.

Where Disney/KK/Lucasfilm went wrong is they felt as if it's absolutely necessary to subvert fan expectations at all costs - even if it sacrifices long term plans or doesn't make a lick of sense. The old guard cared much more for world building and telling an actual good story than the current helms that are steering the Star Wars ship.

MisterHero

There's many ways to write Star Wars.

1. Follow the rules of good storytelling where characters go through arcs and have logical, satisfactory conclusions.

2. Do whatever makes the fans happy, but not without playing with their expectations. And by play, I mean DON'T COMPLETELY FUCKING DESTROY their expectations.

3. Sheer spectacle and an amazing audio-visual experience (not unlike the original Star Wars).

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I mean, I question if she even understands what writers actually are, at this point. Where does she think those mythical "source materials" come from? Does Kathleen perceive an infinitely recursive set of source materials, where each is just an adaptation of source materials from before it, on and on, further and further back, just ever more source materials that each authour adapts... or does she actually understand that she's the head honcho of a forty year old, multi-billion dollar film franchise that has never had source materials at any point in its eight film series? "Hey, this is hard" is no excuse for dropping the ball off the edge of the grand canyon, Kathleen.

Last edited:

Hudo

What reason was there for Lucas to choose her as head of Lucasfilm? I have not heard one statement from her that sounded like she knows where to take Star Warsor that she actually really cares about Star Wars. I would actually go so far as to question whether she knows what her job is. Disney is usually fairly quick to fire people, so what's the hold up here? She's obivously unfit for her position.

And this is why the sequels absolutely suck. They lack the one thing which would've made even a mediocre SW film an honest representation of the series:

Coherency
This last batch of sequels didn't tell a faithful story of the Skywalker family. It would've been fairly easy to just use George Lucas's film treatments, add CGI, and Skywalker lineage, and there would've been good response. Instead we got CurrentCultureYear() inserted into the fictional universe.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Most idiotic thing she has said yet. She is such a horrible liar. They had literally the most source material any franchise ever had.

I mean ffs George Lucas gave them outlines specifically for new movies and they threw them out. Zero sympathy here.
What reason was there for Lucas to choose her as head of Lucasfilm? I have not heard one statement from her that sounded like she knows where to take Star Warsor that she actually really cares about Star Wars. I would actually go so far as to question whether she knows what her job is. Disney is usually fairly quick to fire people, so what's the hold up here? She's obivously unfit for her position.
Iirc she was a diversity hire due to Di$ney getting flack for not having enough women in leadership roles. There is no way they would fire her (tho blaming the ST on her might happen).

Last edited:

Hudo

Most idiotic thing she has said yet. She is such a horrible liar. They had literally the most source material any franchise ever had.

I mean ffs George Lucas gave them outlines specifically for new movies and they threw them out. Zero sympathy here.

Iirc she was a diversity hire due to Di$ney getting flack for not having enough women in leadership roles. There is no way they would fire her (tho blaming the ST on her might happen).
Ah ok, so she was hired by Disney after the deal? If so, I didn't know that. I thought Lucas hired her as part of preparing for the deal.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like there are a ton of writers and directors out there who would love to let the creativity flow with that supposedly "blank slate."

Something tells me that even if they attempted to go in that direction, someone wearing a sports jacket, jeans, and a force is female t-shirt is going to approach them at some point to let them know they need to put in a Death Star and a furry animal to sell toys with.

They could've literally opened the Star Wars encyclopedia to a random page, and based a movie off of that. Probably would've turned out better than what we ultimately got.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
lucas at least had a pretty distinct vision and gods did he create a meme machine outta that prequel trilogy

Lucas is the only authority on Star Wars as far as I'm concerned. You can hand it over to whomever, but it'll never be more than fan fiction. Disney didn't make Star Wars, Lucas did. If I wanna know something about this universe, I'd ask Lucas, not whoever is in charge right now.

What's being made now isn't Star Wars to me, it's just a bunch of junk made to profit. Lucas might have sold it, but it's still his. He might have made some bad movies, but he's still the only one who can say aye or nay.

As for Kennedy. I wonder what the hell happened. She has been a part of some of the greatest movies ever made. Need I mention? Indiana Jones, E.T., Land before time, Roger Rabbit, Back to the future, Jurassic Park. the list goes on.

What the hell happened. How could she go from being a producer on some of the best cinema ever, heavily involved in almost every Spielberg film, to taking Star Wars, and driving it off a cliff?

I don't fucking get it. She's not a hack, she knows what she's doing. She's not some demographic hire, she knows movies inside out.

What the fuck happened?

ruvikx

Banned
Even if it were true that there's no source material to work with . . . all you have to do is hire a creative team that has, you know, talent.

Indeed. It's called "inspiration" & it's something artists usually have. Kathleen Kennedy wouldn't know anything about actual creative work though because she's just a low IQ bean counter selling toys & political propaganda.

Meanwhile what was George Lucas's "source material" in the 1970's? Old fairy tales & real world history? Wow, how did he manage?

The sooner they ditch Kennedy the better. I don't care if the lead on StarWars is a woman, it's not even about that, Kennedy is just a proven disaster for the franchise.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ah ok, so she was hired by Disney after the deal? If so, I didn't know that. I thought Lucas hired her as part of preparing for the deal.
no, Lucas hired her, she was a longtime colleague of his at Lucasfilm. but i think the choice of her was specifically cos they had been getting flak in the press, it sweetened the deal to have a female executive.

A woman who most likely watched Disney Films and used that as a base for new Star Wars claiming no source material by not looking.

Not to sound sexist by the way, but I feel that Disney hired her to make the series more kid friendly using the whole Disney Princess formula, which Rey is likely going to be included in when they release the new merchandise of the Disney Princesses. So they make Rey an Orphan who just happened to havr the Force in her.

Silent Duck

"There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels," says Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy when asked about the difficulties that come with making a Star Wars movie.”

Tvq8NYy.gif

Didn’t Marvel just end a 75+ issue comc run... this week? :unsure:
Never read it, but I keep getting comic book related emails despite not reading the damn things for years. :mad:

Hudo

no, Lucas hired her, she was a longtime colleague of his at Lucasfilm. but i think the choice of her was specifically cos they had been getting flak in the press, it sweetened the deal to have a female executive.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Oh, well... at least we finally got a decent Star Wars game after the previous failed attempts, so that's something. And hey, I actually liked Rogue One, so I got at least one decent movie out of it. But it still hurts to see how she dropped the ball so hard.

This explains why the Disney Star Wars era has been an absolute trainwreck.

I actually feel kind of bad for George Lucas these days. He did nothing wrong. Neither did all the myriad authors and writers who contributed to the old EU that they just straight up threw in the trash and replaced with the total shitpile that is the Disney continuity.

He did do something wrong. He appointed her in charge before Disney even bought them.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
A woman who most likely watched Disney Films and used that as a base for new Star Wars claiming no source material by not looking.

Not to sound sexist by the way, but I feel that Disney hired her to make the series more kid friendly using the whole Disney Princess formula, which Rey is likely going to be included in when they release the new merchandise of the Disney Princesses. So they make Rey an Orphan who just happened to havr the Force in her.

Check her imdb page and read up on her history if you don't want to sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. When I heard she was taking over, my first thoughts where that this was a perfect choice. She should have been a perfect choice.

Kadayi

Banned
I get it maybe she didn't want to feel constrained by all of the Extended universe stuff from the various novelisations etc (which I suspect even Lucas didn't always keep an eye on) but I dare say that there was probably plenty of meat to draw inspiration from amongst it all.

I think the ultimate conclusion is that she just presumed any old BS would fly as long as it had the SW name attached to it, and albeit for sure that may have worked initially with TFA I think since then people have become increasingly critical of the thin nature of what Disney has been putting out which just seems to bask in trading off references.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
No source material? lol. And when has that been a problem for a true creative?

These are pretty bad takes. She's been a producer for some of the most famous/well known films of the 80's and 90's.

Jurassic Park
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Schindler's List
Poltergeist
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Gremlins
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
The Goonies
Back to the Future
Back to the Future Part II
Back to the Future Part III
The Color Purple
An American Tail
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Land Before Time

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
I really don’t understand how this lady hasn’t been fired like ten times by now.

Is she sleeping with Iger or something?

No source material? lol. And when has that been a problem for a true creative?

These are pretty bad takes. She's been a producer for some of the most famous/well known films of the 80's and 90's.

Jurassic Park
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Schindler's List
Poltergeist
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Gremlins
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
The Goonies
Back to the Future
Back to the Future Part II
Back to the Future Part III
The Color Purple
An American Tail
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Land Before Time
It's an ongoing joke in Hollywood that most producers do nothing.

Top Bottom